BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > M Performance Exhaust Valve Behavior

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-14-2018, 08:14 PM   #67
S1monQc
First Lieutenant
221
Rep
309
Posts

Drives: '18 AW M2
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutankhamon View Post
Updating with my experiences thus far, will be replacing the remote tomorrow, have a second service appointment. Will keep seeing if the new remote will be the fix or not. They have an open case for me so if that fails, I will keep hounding them until it's resolved.

To try and troubleshoot, I've attempted turning off my apple watch and my phone entirely. Valves randomly turn off regardless.
Same for me... After many days of monitoring, it sometimes behave perfectly for 1+ hour, but the next turn, valves can close after 10 minutes. Completely random.

Have an appointment May 22th to get a new remote.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 01:46 PM   #68
tutankhamon
Private First Class
Canada
116
Rep
182
Posts

Drives: 2017 LBB BMW M2
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

New remote has been installed and paired with the car. Drive in to work so far was fine. Will keep monitoring it.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 10:38 AM   #69
tutankhamon
Private First Class
Canada
116
Rep
182
Posts

Drives: 2017 LBB BMW M2
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

New remote, yet same behaviour. Random disconnects. Made an appointment in a couple weeks, they will be replacing the module itself in the trunk. Will see if that fixes it.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 04:36 PM   #70
Moonlapse
New Member
United_States
0
Rep
13
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

M Performance Exhaust - Lost Bluetooth Connection

Hey All,

I have an M Performance Exhaust installed on my M2, however, it's never worked. The exhaust was installed on the car brand new, before I purchased it and I had to chase down the bluetooth controller.

When double clicking, it flashed red twice and does nothing, I have found that the double red flash means the controller has lost its connection.

I cannot find anything anywhere showing how to reconnect the unit. Taken it back to BMW and they can't figure it out either!

Anyone else had this problem? If so, how did you solve it?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 03:37 AM   #71
Philb65
Private First Class
46
Rep
109
Posts

Drives: LBB M2
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: South West

iTrader: (0)

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1502850

I haven't had to do it but this thread says hold the button down for 10-15 secs to pair up the controller. The double flash is normally the flaps opening and then it does a single flash every few seconds while the flaps are open.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 06:54 AM   #72
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
horsepower_and_hounds's Avatar
United_States
1164
Rep
3,234
Posts

Drives: '15 M4 BSM
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Charlotte

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philb65 View Post
http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1502850

I haven't had to do it but this thread says hold the button down for 10-15 secs to pair up the controller. The double flash is normally the flaps opening and then it does a single flash every few seconds while the flaps are open.
Yes, two full clicks....not soft half way clicks. It is either two or 5 flashes notifying flaps are told to open then 1 flash every 5 secs while open. Then 2 clicks followed by a long fading flash notifying flaps are told to close. I will verify today
__________________
IG: horsepower_and_hounds
'15 M4 BSM DCT CCB, '15 Alfa Romeo 4c coupe "sold", '18 M2 "sold", '15 M4 "totaled", '14 M235 "sold", '09 128i "sold"
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 08:13 AM   #73
430409M2
Private First Class
430409M2's Avatar
88
Rep
174
Posts

Drives: ///M2 PE
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

I've installed my own mpe and it functions fully so Id like to check every possible point of failure with you. Because this exhaust is so amazing and everyone deserves it.

Silly question so please forgive me. Which style is your mpe, Euro button or with the switch in the trunk? If it's the switch version, is the switch flipped to the in position?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 08:27 AM   #74
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
horsepower_and_hounds's Avatar
United_States
1164
Rep
3,234
Posts

Drives: '15 M4 BSM
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Charlotte

iTrader: (6)

The OP and myself are in the US so non-euro version without trunk button
__________________
IG: horsepower_and_hounds
'15 M4 BSM DCT CCB, '15 Alfa Romeo 4c coupe "sold", '18 M2 "sold", '15 M4 "totaled", '14 M235 "sold", '09 128i "sold"
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 09:11 AM   #75
Moonlapse
New Member
United_States
0
Rep
13
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philb65 View Post
http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1502850

I haven't had to do it but this thread says hold the button down for 10-15 secs to pair up the controller. The double flash is normally the flaps opening and then it does a single flash every few seconds while the flaps are open.
Thank you, I did try this yesterday a dozen times or so and nothing.

I think it's supposed to flash sort of slowly. I saw someone had posted another trouble shooting guide that said 2 quick flashes means it's lost its connection...
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 09:13 AM   #76
Moonlapse
New Member
United_States
0
Rep
13
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 430409M2 View Post
I've installed my own mpe and it functions fully so Id like to check every possible point of failure with you. Because this exhaust is so amazing and everyone deserves it.

Silly question so please forgive me. Which style is your mpe, Euro button or with the switch in the trunk? If it's the switch version, is the switch flipped to the in position?
Thanks so much, that would be amazing!

It's the one in the trunk. The guy from the dealer phoned me yesterday and said try holding it next to the unit with the button down for 10-15 seconds and if that doesn't work try toggling the on/off switch whilst holding the button down - that didn't work either.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 09:22 AM   #77
430409M2
Private First Class
430409M2's Avatar
88
Rep
174
Posts

Drives: ///M2 PE
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Are we sure the box in the trunk is recieving power? I cannot recall if there is a light that comes on. With the floor panel removed, the wiring harness for the Bluetooth box runs up to a fuse box. I believe it runs under the box (which can be loosened by one nut) and is the third from the top fuse, a #15. Can you check that the red cable from the harness is in the correct spot, and is firmly connected?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 09:25 AM   #78
Moonlapse
New Member
United_States
0
Rep
13
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 430409M2 View Post
Are we sure the box in the trunk is recieving power? I cannot recall if there is a light that comes on. With the floor panel removed, the wiring harness for the Bluetooth box runs up to a fuse box. I believe it runs under the box (which can be loosened by one nut) and is the third from the top fuse, a #15. Can you check that the red cable from the harness is in the correct spot, and is firmly connected?
Yep, there is a red light that comes on when the toggle switch is in the on position.

I have not tried pairing when the car is in sports mode and my understand is that the switch only works in sports mode, do you know if that is correct? If so, I'll reconnecting the unit with the 10-15 second method whilst the car is in sports mode and see..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 09:34 AM   #79
430409M2
Private First Class
430409M2's Avatar
88
Rep
174
Posts

Drives: ///M2 PE
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

The Bluetooth controlled valves are 100% independent of the car's driving mode.
The only time they won't function is when the car is powered down. But they even work in auxiliary power mode.

When the mpe is installed, the actuator that controls the stock exhaust is removed and bypassed. The new actuators (there's two instead of one) is only controlled by the box in the trunk, which only receives power from the car and no signals from the car's brain.

I basically now have twice the driving modes, if you follow my though process, because I can have comfort and comfort+loud, sport and sport+loud and so on.

Next, I would check that the harness that plugs into the top of the box under the trunk floor is firmly in place. Is the wide plug on top all the way in? Under the car, find the actuator on each side, is their plug on firmly?

Also, the flashing for no connection and low battery are similar.. just different intensities. If you have a watch battery around the house, try replacing the battery in the hand held remote maybe?

Last edited by 430409M2; 06-17-2018 at 09:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 10:37 AM   #80
Kapachui
Enlisted Member
26
Rep
43
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse View Post
Hey All,

I have an M Performance Exhaust installed on my M2, however, it's never worked. The exhaust was installed on the car brand new, before I purchased it and I had to chase down the bluetooth controller.

When double clicking, it flashed red twice and does nothing, I have found that the double red flash means the controller has lost its connection.

I cannot find anything anywhere showing how to reconnect the unit. Taken it back to BMW and they can't figure it out either!

Anyone else had this problem? If so, how did you solve it?
do you have a switch that looks like the attached photo under the trunk?
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 11:53 AM   #81
430409M2
Private First Class
430409M2's Avatar
88
Rep
174
Posts

Drives: ///M2 PE
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapachui View Post
do you have a switch that looks like the attached photo under the trunk?
OP has a North American build.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 02:22 PM   #82
Moonlapse
New Member
United_States
0
Rep
13
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 430409M2 View Post
The Bluetooth controlled valves are 100% independent of the car's driving mode.
The only time they won't function is when the car is powered down. But they even work in auxiliary power mode.

When the mpe is installed, the actuator that controls the stock exhaust is removed and bypassed. The new actuators (there's two instead of one) is only controlled by the box in the trunk, which only receives power from the car and no signals from the car's brain.

I basically now have twice the driving modes, if you follow my though process, because I can have comfort and comfort+loud, sport and sport+loud and so on.

Next, I would check that the harness that plugs into the top of the box under the trunk floor is firmly in place. Is the wide plug on top all the way in? Under the car, find the actuator on each side, is their plug on firmly?

Also, the flashing for no connection and low battery are similar.. just different intensities. If you have a watch battery around the house, try replacing the battery in the hand held remote maybe?
Just uploaded this video:
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 03:12 PM   #83
430409M2
Private First Class
430409M2's Avatar
88
Rep
174
Posts

Drives: ///M2 PE
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse View Post
Just uploaded this video:
Starting to feel lost for ideas here. Hopefully redarch gets back to you soon. You said this controller was bought separate from the exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 05:07 PM   #84
cookiesowns
;)
cookiesowns's Avatar
Taiwan
426
Rep
753
Posts

Drives: M2C 6MT, 535i N54, X3 N55
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Irvine, CA

iTrader: (0)

Try this:

Replace the battery first on the bluetooth controller

then:

While the switch is off in the trunk, hold down the remote for roughly 5 seconds, continue holding it then flip the switch on in the trunk. after 5 seconds release the button...

Then: double press the remote and see what happens
__________________
BM3, MHD, ECUTek Calibrator | 2019 M2 Competition 6MT SO | Suntek Ultra | Gyeon Syncro + CarPro Skin
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 08:57 AM   #85
Moonlapse
New Member
United_States
0
Rep
13
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 430409M2 View Post
Starting to feel lost for ideas here. Hopefully redarch gets back to you soon. You said this controller was bought separate from the exhaust?
No worries, thanks for your help man! The car was transferred from another dealer to the one I bought it from and when they transferred it, they did not send the controller, it took them a few weeks to track it down. I've checked the numbers on both the controller and receive and they match so I'm pretty sure it's the right one.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 12:08 PM   #86
430409M2
Private First Class
430409M2's Avatar
88
Rep
174
Posts

Drives: ///M2 PE
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse View Post
No worries, thanks for your help man! The car was transferred from another dealer to the one I bought it from and when they transferred it, they did not send the controller, it took them a few weeks to track it down. I've checked the numbers on both the controller and receive and they match so I'm pretty sure it's the right one.
Since it sounds like the dealer had a hand in this, I'd say, if you don't hear from redarch soon, tell the dealer they gave you something that doesn't function and to warrenty it and replace the electronics with a new system. Wasteful but you paid for a working mpe..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 07:12 PM   #87
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
horsepower_and_hounds's Avatar
United_States
1164
Rep
3,234
Posts

Drives: '15 M4 BSM
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Charlotte

iTrader: (6)

Here is one original doc that come with the remote...... I was correct on the 5 flashes if it is functioning. The 2 flashes your getting confirms it is not connected. Nothing on pairing the units

Name:  IMG_4751.JPG
Views: 810
Size:  208.0 KB

Name:  IMG_4752.JPG
Views: 816
Size:  166.0 KB

Name:  IMG_4753.JPG
Views: 805
Size:  265.5 KB

Name:  IMG_4754.JPG
Views: 803
Size:  226.2 KB
__________________
IG: horsepower_and_hounds
'15 M4 BSM DCT CCB, '15 Alfa Romeo 4c coupe "sold", '18 M2 "sold", '15 M4 "totaled", '14 M235 "sold", '09 128i "sold"
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 07:16 PM   #88
Moonlapse
New Member
United_States
0
Rep
13
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2ruder View Post
Here is one original doc that come with the remote......
Thank you! I can't see anything on here on how to reconnect the controller. I'm pretty sure my double flash, given its intensity is loss of connection...just can't seem to reconnect!
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:01 PM.




m2
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST