BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M2 transmission: do you prefer manual or M-DCT ?

View Poll Results: M2 transmission: do you prefer manual or double-clutch ?
Manual transmission 451 61.61%
M-DCT Drivelogic 281 38.39%
Voters: 732. You may not vote on this poll

10-14-2017, 04:02 PM   #463
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6mt, LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Smurf View Post
I do realise that trying to sell enthusiasts on the DCT is a bit like trying to sell ice to eskimo's, but I thought that I'd have a try

I've probably not made the point so well, but I actually wasn't suggesting that you can't get fun out of a manual, rather that fun comes in different ways for different folks ... and that not having a manual does not equal not having fun

And that's true for a whole bunch of stuff in life ... my from the grind of laps in the swimming pool to try and improve my fitness to the other modifications I'll make to my just-about-to arrive M2.

More ice Mr. Eskimo...?
No worries V. We are all correct, if we choose the transmission we enjoy!

By the way, I'll take two cubes with my shot of Jack Daniels please
Appreciate 2
V.Smurf162.00
ORIGIN M.3159.50
      10-14-2017, 05:11 PM   #464
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Jesus, the bitching and moaning about this never stops does it? Someday they won't make MT anymore. Enjoy your MT and troll memes while you can.
Appreciate 1
stefan2346.50
      10-14-2017, 08:00 PM   #465
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

clemsonkev: as you started sounding like a broken record, your latest seven posts have been reduced to one.

Name:  Larson_AndersonBros.gif
Views: 906
Size:  147.8 KB
Spa2k1193.00
      10-15-2017, 08:29 AM   #466
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
clemsonkev: as you started sounding like a broken record, your latest seven posts have been reduced to one.

Attachment 1705649
Nicely played /
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 12:18 PM   #467
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

She's a keeper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
My wife dislikes automatic gearboxes. Back in the 90s she drove an automatic during her studies in the US and was happy to drive a manual again once she got back to Europe. Still to date for her: three pedals and a stick or bust.
Appreciate 1
Artemis28911.50
      11-24-2017, 05:04 PM   #468
My LBB M2
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Manual Vs. DCT

I went with the manual transmission, but I am old school. I was surprised to see that nearly 2/3 of responders choose the manual. It's refreshing to see that people still like to "drive" their own cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 11:07 PM   #469
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

M2 is so suited for 6MT.

3 pedals >
Appreciate 1
D CHOI580.00
      11-28-2017, 11:12 PM   #470
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggieHowser View Post
I?ve finally gotten the guts to turn off DSC and gotten to doing rev matching manually with heel toe.

It?s weird that the revs drop quickly - with DSC off. Even faster than on my Fiesta ST.

So much more fun.

And even in the wet it takes a lot to break traction.
I drive in this setting all the time. I love it,feels like a throwback. Car is stable, You have to try to break it lose. If it is wet/cold and lots of traffic I will go MDM.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 11:04 AM   #471
backmotor
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral gray M2 DCT

Garage List
I have always hated automatics, but before I finalized my order for my M2, I asked many friends (car guys) of all ages, but mostly in their 20-30's, what they thought would be better in the long run, and was surprised that every one without exception said go with DCT (even though they drove manual trans. cars). I figured I could still manually shift the DCT and it would be the same as a MT without the clutch action for my left foot, so it would sound like a manual (if I lifted off the gas while shifting, like you would with a MT), and I could dictate what gear I wanted to be in and stay in. Plus the traffic issue would be available when needed by going into Drive (automatic) mode.
Then at a race, Bill Auberlen (race driver for the Rahal-Letterman BMW team) told me without a doubt to go with DCT. That clinched it. I have no regrets and would do it again. But I DO manually shift most of the time, just for the action of controlling what gear I am in, and for the sound. I have a seven-year warranty just in case something goes wrong with all the technology, but so far (3500 miles), DCT has been perfect. (I DO have a 911 for race tracks and have not yet had the M2 on the track, but am thinking I will put it in Drive for track driving, at least when competing, but may change my mind once on the track for the first time with the M2.
So... I'm for DCT now! (and I have always hated automatics! Go figure!)
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 11:40 AM   #472
izzyM2
Major
Rep
Drives: 24’M2/21ID.4/21’MacanGTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by backmotor View Post
I have always hated automatics, but before I finalized my order for my M2, I asked many friends (car guys) of all ages, but mostly in their 20-30's, what they thought would be better in the long run, and was surprised that every one without exception said go with DCT (even though they drove manual trans. cars). I figured I could still manually shift the DCT and it would be the same as a MT without the clutch action for my left foot, so it would sound like a manual (if I lifted off the gas while shifting, like you would with a MT), and I could dictate what gear I wanted to be in and stay in. Plus the traffic issue would be available when needed by going into Drive (automatic) mode.
Then at a race, Bill Auberlen (race driver for the Rahal-Letterman BMW team) told me without a doubt to go with DCT. That clinched it. I have no regrets and would do it again. But I DO manually shift most of the time, just for the action of controlling what gear I am in, and for the sound. I have a seven-year warranty just in case something goes wrong with all the technology, but so far (3500 miles), DCT has been perfect. (I DO have a 911 for race tracks and have not yet had the M2 on the track, but am thinking I will put it in Drive for track driving, at least when competing, but may change my mind once on the track for the first time with the M2.
So... I'm for DCT now! (and I have always hated automatics! Go figure!)
I'm DCT, its the only thing I would replace a manual for, not even other dual clutches like Porsches PDK and VW's DSG. The movement to pull to upshift and push to downshift is the proper way and not the other way around. having both worlds, it's that good . It's second nature to me to shift manually in DCT. Even in traffic at times I tell myself to let the car do the work but I without thinking still end up shifting manually. I understand the engagement of a manual, I get it. Coming from STI its great and DCT is great too. Think about it its dual clutch! the other is already prepared to engaged halfway even before you thought of shifting. And BMW's DCT is bullet proof to serve for years!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 02:27 PM   #473
STK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

DCT is to shifting as Auto Tune is to singing.
Appreciate 1
mtoosexy723.00