BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > What are you guys doing for paint protection? XPEL doesn't have pattern yet.

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-31-2016, 11:02 PM   #1
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
931
Rep
1,565
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (6)

What are you guys doing for paint protection? XPEL doesn't have pattern yet.

I am getting worried that we will have no options for paint protection by the time the car is released on April 16th. XPEL and Suntek both don't have patterns cut yet, and I don't really want to pay triple for a "custom" installer to cut the film with a knife while it's on my car.

I am picking my car up from a dealer that is a solid hour away...I might sink to doing track film from XPEL as a temporary solution.
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2016, 12:30 AM   #2
Adem1534
Colonel
Adem1534's Avatar
United_States
2184
Rep
2,372
Posts

Drives: '16 M2
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Alex from the United States

iTrader: (0)

I have no idea. I've never used XPEL. So l they normally have pre cut films for each car?

Jesus Christ, this M2 release is a hell of a frustration.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 12:36 AM   #3
dammitcubs
Captain
No_Country
570
Rep
690
Posts

Drives: '16 M2 LBB
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: San Jose

iTrader: (0)

I'm starting to look at Ceramic Pro
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 12:37 AM   #4
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
931
Rep
1,565
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammitcubs View Post
I'm starting to look at Ceramic Pro
Yeah, I am going to do CQuartz but that still doesn't prevent rock chips. That's what I am most worried about.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 12:41 AM   #5
Adem1534
Colonel
Adem1534's Avatar
United_States
2184
Rep
2,372
Posts

Drives: '16 M2
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Alex from the United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
Yeah, I am going to do CQuartz but that still doesn't prevent rock chips. That's what I am most worried about.
Do you recommend doing the full front or just halfway up the hood?
__________________

Soon.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 01:56 AM   #6
Prodigy.
Major
Prodigy.'s Avatar
Australia
585
Rep
1,489
Posts

Drives: ///M2
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534 View Post
Do you recommend doing the full front or just halfway up the hood?
Do the whole hood mate, better protection and you obviously won't see the line where the film starts.



I'll more than likely just use Opti-coat paint protection, had it on the 1 series and thought it was great.
As far as clear films i had Ventureshield on the entire front of my Golf R a few years back, seemed to do it's job ok.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 03:50 AM   #7
///M2-PILOT
M2 PILOT
///M2-PILOT's Avatar
United_States
309
Rep
340
Posts

Drives: 2016 ///M2 HEA LBB M-DCT
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: In the cockpit

iTrader: (0)

I was thinking Blue painters tape on nose and lip of hood, maybe mirrors too. I have a 300 mile ride home so some protection is better than nothing, you should always practice Safe Driving.

Is there any ETA on XPEL?

I'll have to look into XPEL Track film once I get it home....
__________________
///M2 - LBB - EXEC - M-DCT
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2016, 04:04 AM   #8
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
OrangeCrush's Avatar
1213
Rep
1,966
Posts

Drives: VO 1M #513/740
Join Date: May 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

I'm going bare back. Yeah, I live dangerously.
__________________
Current
AW BMW M2
Past
VO BMW 1M
Appreciate 2
      04-01-2016, 07:04 AM   #9
twboy1999
Captain
243
Rep
860
Posts

Drives: 1994 honda accord
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: toronto

iTrader: (2)

half the hood is fine

all the new films, they are really clear.. you can't tell you have a clear bra, only from certain angle and if you look carefully
__________________
2019 M2 HS 10000km and counting
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 08:33 AM   #10
Kantalias
Private First Class
United_States
125
Rep
173
Posts

Drives: 2016 M2
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: New Mexico

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twboy1999 View Post
half the hood is fine

all the new films, they are really clear.. you can't tell you have a clear bra, only from certain angle and if you look carefully
Until wax and junk builds up along the line. I've got a 2008 Infiniti that cam with a partial hood and I'd never do it again.

My installer won't charge extra for a custom fit so I'm getting XPEL put on before I take delivery.
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2016, 08:37 AM   #11
F87LUV
Black Widow
F87LUV's Avatar
United_States
3444
Rep
15,053
Posts

Drives: '16 M2 19 X2 M35i
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philly

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2019 X2 M35i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dammitcubs View Post
I'm starting to look at Ceramic Pro
Yeah, I am going to do CQuartz but that still doesn't prevent rock chips. That's what I am most worried about.
Any idea on the cost for that?
__________________
IG: Trackinheels
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 09:28 AM   #12
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
931
Rep
1,565
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kantalias View Post
Until wax and junk builds up along the line. I've got a 2008 Infiniti that cam with a partial hood and I'd never do it again.

My installer won't charge extra for a custom fit so I'm getting XPEL put on before I take delivery.
Can I ask how much you are paying for a custom install and what the coverage is? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 09:36 AM   #13
faztaz
08 X3 6spd
16
Rep
109
Posts

Drives: 13 X3 35i MSport
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Maybe all the NJ / Tristate guys can lump their vehicles together to get a group install price.


I'm looking for entire front clear XPEL or full XPEL Matte.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 09:40 AM   #14
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
931
Rep
1,565
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGirl07 View Post
Any idea on the cost for that?
I am friends with my local Cquartz guy so he is giving me a deal...but I think for the level I am doing (multiple coats, infrared cure 24hr, full polish, etc) it's over a grand with his normal pricing. But so worth it.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 09:52 AM   #15
F87LUV
Black Widow
F87LUV's Avatar
United_States
3444
Rep
15,053
Posts

Drives: '16 M2 19 X2 M35i
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philly

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2019 X2 M35i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGirl07 View Post
Any idea on the cost for that?
I am friends with my local Cquartz guy so he is giving me a deal...but I think for the level I am doing (multiple coats, infrared cure 24hr, full polish, etc) it's over a grand with his normal pricing. But so worth it.
$1,000 isn't bad. I definitely won't spend thousands for xpel or anything like that.
__________________
IG: Trackinheels
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 12:26 PM   #16
AlexCirci
First Lieutenant
AlexCirci's Avatar
479
Rep
359
Posts

Drives: LBB M2
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2PILOT View Post
I was thinking Blue painters tape on nose and lip of hood, maybe mirrors too. I have a 300 mile ride home so some protection is better than nothing, you should always practice Safe Driving.

Is there any ETA on XPEL?

I'll have to look into XPEL Track film once I get it home....
I have a 1500 mile drive home. Blue painters tape FTW!
__________________
F87 M2 - LBB - 6MT - Exec Package
insta - @LBB_M2
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2016, 01:44 PM   #17
Pol
Nobody is perfect !
Pol's Avatar
Belgium
648
Rep
1,151
Posts

Drives: M2 (MG) M DCT - April 2016
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

My installer works with XPEL. He can make templates. Here e.g. the template for the M235i.

Headlamp + fog lamp kit; full hood, fender and mirror kit, bumper kit, rocker panel kit



Price : 2300€. Very (too) expensive indeed.
A quartz coating will suffice for me. (1350€ yet)
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 01:56 PM   #18
///M2-PILOT
M2 PILOT
///M2-PILOT's Avatar
United_States
309
Rep
340
Posts

Drives: 2016 ///M2 HEA LBB M-DCT
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: In the cockpit

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexCirc View Post
I have a 1500 mile drive home. Blue painters tape FTW!
What would you recommend? I'm in the northeast and there is salt and sand all over the roads still, going nekked isn't an option.... I'm up for recommendations!
__________________
///M2 - LBB - EXEC - M-DCT
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 01:58 PM   #19
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
931
Rep
1,565
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexCirc View Post
I have a 1500 mile drive home. Blue painters tape FTW!
http://www.xpel.com/xpel-tracwrap-temporary-ppf/
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2016, 02:08 PM   #20
AlexCirci
First Lieutenant
AlexCirci's Avatar
479
Rep
359
Posts

Drives: LBB M2
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2PILOT View Post
What would you recommend? I'm in the northeast and there is salt and sand all over the roads still, going nekked isn't an option.... I'm up for recommendations!
I've used 3M blue painters tape on multiple vehicles for extensive drives. As long as you don't hit any rain it works great. Peels off no problem leaving no residue.

Can't beat ~$6 a roll... you might get some interesting looks on the drive home though
__________________
F87 M2 - LBB - 6MT - Exec Package
insta - @LBB_M2
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2016, 02:21 PM   #21
///M2-PILOT
M2 PILOT
///M2-PILOT's Avatar
United_States
309
Rep
340
Posts

Drives: 2016 ///M2 HEA LBB M-DCT
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: In the cockpit

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexCirc View Post
I've used 3M blue painters tape on multiple vehicles for extensive drives. As long as you don't hit any rain it works great. Peels off no problem leaving no residue.

Can't beat ~$6 a roll... you might get some interesting looks on the drive home though
I plan on the looks and most likely, double takes but, like you say at $6 a roll you can't beat the potential savings from salt and sand

And yes if I hit rain it's coming off immediately!
__________________
///M2 - LBB - EXEC - M-DCT
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2016, 02:23 PM   #22
AlexCirci
First Lieutenant
AlexCirci's Avatar
479
Rep
359
Posts

Drives: LBB M2
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2PILOT View Post
I plan on the looks and most likely, double takes but, like you say at $6 a roll you can't beat the potential savings from salt and sand
Exactly. Got some interesting looks when I did the front of my e92. 6 hours later the front was covered in bugs and sand/gravel. Well worth the time and $.
Attached Images
 
__________________
F87 M2 - LBB - 6MT - Exec Package
insta - @LBB_M2
Appreciate 3
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:28 AM.




m2
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST