BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Too old for an M2C ?

09-08-2020, 02:23 PM   #177
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf72 View Post
And now who are the people who give you compliments on the M2C?
I honestly never even cared about this whole age thing until a cart boy at a country club complimented how he liked my M2C and the color and went on to showing me his Scion...
I mean, I liked the kid and really appreciated his demeanor, but he looked... 18yo.
I don’t want this to come off as cocky/douchey, but maybe OP has a point in thinking certain cars have a tendency to attract certain age/generation.
Appreciate 2
JggyM228.50
CLOUT49.50
      09-08-2020, 02:59 PM   #178
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwater4me View Post
Quote:
And now who are the people who give you compliments on the M2C?
I honestly never even cared about this whole age thing until a cart boy at a country club complimented how he liked my M2C and the color and went on to showing me his Scion...
I mean, I liked the kid and really appreciated his demeanor, but he looked... 18yo.
I don't want this to come off as cocky/douchey, but maybe OP has a point in thinking certain cars have a tendency to attract certain age/generation.
That's exactly what I've been trying to say but it's a touchy subject, so I try to thread lightly...

The M2 comes off as a vehicle that is caters to a younger demographic, same as a Subaru STI & a Lancer Evolution (any generation). Great cars, in their own right, regardless who likes them but sorry, it's what it is.

It's not a knock at anyone, at any age, that the M2 also appeals to but just understand how society views it, regardless if you care or not..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 03:27 PM   #179
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
That's exactly what I've been trying to say but it's a touchy subject, so I try to thread lightly...

The M2 comes off as a vehicle that is caters to a younger demographic, same as a Subaru STI & a Lancer Evolution (any generation). Great cars, in their own right, regardless who likes them but sorry, it's what it is.

It's not a knock at anyone, at any age, that the M2 also appeals to but just understand how society views it, regardless if you care or not..
Fully understood, and also that society also views living paycheck to paycheck as normal, as long as you have the shiniest car that you swap every 2 years. Or buying a bigger car and/or house than your friend.
Appreciate 1
JggyM228.50
      09-08-2020, 03:52 PM   #180
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
Quote:

Fully understood, and also that society also views living paycheck to paycheck as normal, as long as you have the shiniest car that you swap every 2 years. Or buying a bigger car and/or house than your friend.
All true, as stereotypes are just human nature and in all honesty, when it comes to the younger demo, only the snotty-nosed, trust-fund types can really afford a 60k car, so there is that..

Just when you hear a M2 or any sporty car for that matter, barreling down the street, you picture a certain type of driver..

Same as one would be confused seeing a 22 year old rolling around in a new Cadillac - you'll assume he borrowed his dad's car.. 🤷🏻

To the OP's question, which was the general consensus on this vehicle, not if the owner cares or not..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 04:06 PM   #181
JggyM2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavallone View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansomatic View Post
Quote:
But at "my age" I'm debating if an M3/M4 is more appropriate. Or even a 911, although I'm loathe to spend that kind of money on a car. Is the M2C more of a car for 20 year olds or 30 year olds?
I admit to wondering the same. Now that I am able to afford a GT3, there's no way I am spending that kind of money on a car. Early retirement with an Airstream is significantly more appealing. An M2CS may bot be a GT3 but it scratches the itch.

When my father-in-Law first heard me talk about my GT3 dream (many years ago) his response was... "oh, that's just a phase". Of course, he's correct. But sex is 'just a phase' too. Everything has a phase, even life. What are we going to do - sit around and wait for everything that gent's our blood flowing to just pass us by? Shall we arrive safely at death? Not me, brother. One life!
57yrs old. Picked up mine on Monday!
amen brudda!!!
      09-08-2020, 05:03 PM   #182
e92ben
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 BMW 635csi

Still young! Buy one! If you ever go to the track it's the 68 year olds in the gt3s that blast past you lol

e92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 07:19 PM   #183
Up4speed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2013 Ferrari 458  [0.00]
2015 Golf GTI  [0.00]
Quote:
I don’t want this to come off as cocky/douchey, but maybe OP has a point in thinking certain cars have a tendency to attract certain age/generation.
It's not about age. A car enthusiast will appreciate all of the M cars, as well as other brand performance models. It just happens that the enthusiasts are usually younger guys. Of course enthusiasts come in all ages and genders, but it's USUALLY little boys, and men up to 50 years old. That's who cares about nice cars.
Everyone has this weird idea that chicks love hot sports cars. That's all fake news perpetuated by advertisements, and instagram posts, and photos. The reality is that they prefer a nice pair of shoes, lol (usually, obviously not always).
When I drive my Ferrari, the girls mostly ignore it, maybe 1 out of 100, give a longer look than a casual glance. Before you say it's because I'm ugly, lol, it's not that. I may not be a model, but not ugly either hahaha. They don't even look to assess anyway. You know who looks?....you guessed it! little boys, teen agers, and men up to 50. They are the ones that stare, flash their lights, give thumbs up, yell out compliments and talk to me at every gas fill up. Everyone else pretty much ignores it. It may also have to do where you live. On Long Island, there are a lot of nice cars, so I think most people just become desensitized to them. Additionally, a lot of non-enthusiasts have nice cars also adding to the pool of nice cars (I don't understand that type because it's a waste of money if you aren't an enthusiast),
So back to my original point. Nice cars only matter to enthusiasts, nobody else.

Last edited by Up4speed; 09-08-2020 at 08:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 08:57 PM   #184
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:

Couldn't disagree more.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 09:46 PM   #185
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Quote:

Couldn't disagree more.
That's totally fine, didn't exactly expect anyone to but the facts speak for themselves:

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 10:06 PM   #186
AUSf22
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS & Ferrari Roma

Garage List
I'd agree with Pooch, that the car is very attractive for young people.

However, the stats for the U.S are likely to differ to elsewhere in the world.

The car is simply too expensive, of course there are some that are very successful at young age or fortunate given their surroundings but I've noticed majority (not all) of the current M2 owners in Australia are definitely an older demographic.

Also to note - some insurance companies here don't insure drivers for the M2 that are under the age of 30.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      09-08-2020, 10:58 PM   #187
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSf22 View Post

The car is simply too expensive, of course there are some that are very successful at young age or fortunate given their surroundings but I've noticed majority (not all) of the current M2 owners in Australia are definitely an older demographic.

Also to note - some insurance companies here don't insure drivers for the M2 that are under the age of 30.
I agree, taste can vary from region to region but no matter how you slice it, a rambunctious model like the M2 caters to those that are young - or young at heart..

I'm like 95% sure no one accidentally opted for an M2 because it's simply not typically a model it's potential buyers are blasé about, as say picking out another new Honda Accord, to get to work.

Your typical nuclear family, with the 2.5 kids and a puppy, does not beeline to an M2, at a dealership; it's a very specific buyer that knows what they want and is willing to compromise for the privilege.

The M2 was originally attempting to appeal a younger demographic but it's so well-crafted that it can work for a wider spectrum of buyers. Which is testament to BMW's well-executed design and market planning.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 06:07 AM   #188
Mavallone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328Xi, Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSf22 View Post

I agree, taste can vary from region to region but no matter how you slice it, a rambunctious model like the M2 caters to those that are young - or young at heart..

I'm like 95% sure no one accidentally opted for an M2 because it's simply not typically a model it's potential buyers are blasé about, as say picking out another new Honda Accord, to get to work.

Your typical nuclear family, with the 2.5 kids and a puppy, does not beeline to an M2, at a dealership; it's a very specific buyer that knows what they want and is willing to compromise for the privilege.

The M2 was originally attempting to appeal a younger demographic but it's so well-crafted that it can work for a wider spectrum of buyers. Which is testament to BMW's well-executed design and market planning.
"The M2 was originally attempting to appeal a younger demographic but it's so well-crafted that it can work for a wider spectrum of buyers."

Poochie, you hit the nail on the head with that statement. that discribes the M2 perfectly. The M2's abilities, build quality, sophistication and brand, expanded the market. This discussion on age can be broadened to include other consumables, not just cars. words like: active, sport, athletic, fast, performance, etc... are all used to decribe youthful atributes. its the nature of the human condition. as people get older they will decide which parts of their life (if any) these adjectives apply to. the younger a person is the more likely these words will apply to more parts of their lives. The M2 is a youthful car, it fulfills youthful interests, however a person's numerical age does not have to be a limiting factor in fullfilling one's interests. I'm 57.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      09-09-2020, 06:50 AM   #189
Twt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff4598 View Post
Turn ing 65 and it's my daily. Only related facts: my spine cannot do manual and I do not like LBB. HS- full Dinan suspension, getting carbahn tune and Dinan exhaust soon.
I am also in the Medicare crowd and drive my OG M2 to the track, race in NASA TT3/4, get a podium and drive it home. This car is great at any age but for me it provides old guy luxury and young guy performance.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      09-09-2020, 07:35 AM   #190
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavallone View Post
"The M2 was originally attempting to appeal a younger demographic but it's so well-crafted that it can work for a wider spectrum of buyers."

Poochie, you hit the nail on the head with that statement. that discribes the M2 perfectly. The M2's abilities, build quality, sophistication and brand, expanded the market. This discussion on age can be broadened to include other consumables, not just cars. words like: active, sport, athletic, fast, performance, etc... are all used to decribe youthful atributes. its the nature of the human condition. as people get older they will decide which parts of their life (if any) these adjectives apply to. the younger a person is the more likely these words will apply to more parts of their lives. The M2 is a youthful car, it fulfills youthful interests, however a person's numerical age does not have to be a limiting factor in fullfilling one's interests. I'm 57.
One other demographic not mentioned is the long time BMW owner, They had an E36 or E46 M3 and want to get back to the basics of a fun car to drive versus todays much bigger 3 or 5 series. Or they never owned one of those models (like myself) and want to have that driving experience.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 07:51 AM   #191
Habber
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 2024 Brooklyn Grey SOLD

Garage List
  [9.83]
After reading this thread, I decided to get rid of my M2c and get my 45 year old ass into a 991.2.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread and to the permanent smile my 911 puts on my old ass.
Appreciate 1
FreeDarko217.00
      09-09-2020, 08:27 AM   #192
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber View Post
After reading this thread, I decided to get rid of my M2c and get my 45 year old ass into a 991.2.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread and to the permanent smile my 911 puts on my old ass.
I just had a Labor Day gathering with 2 friends that have gone to the dark side and have 911s or Boxters. They're tugging me with both arms to look at P'Cars instead of BMW.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 08:45 AM   #193
Habber
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 2024 Brooklyn Grey SOLD

Garage List
  [9.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard in NC View Post
Quote:

I just had a Labor Day gathering with 2 friends that have gone to the dark side and have 911s or Boxters. They're tugging me with both arms to look at P'Cars instead of BMW.
Don't get me wrong, after multiple M's, I can't really say anything bad about these cars. They are so much fun and handle any kid issues very well (space related). I'm not one who's going to be all technical and start to criticize a car that's meant for the street and not the track.

That being said, I finally found a nice 2017 7M CS and just the raw power that transmits to the driver is incredible.

I don't recommend driving one unless you're ready to jump since it's addictive.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 08:50 AM   #194
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, after multiple M's, I can't really say anything bad about these cars. They are so much fun and handle any kid issues very well (space related). I'm not one who's going to be all technical and start to criticize a car that's meant for the street and not the track.

That being said, I finally found a nice 2017 7M CS and just the raw power that transmits to the driver is incredible.

I don't recommend driving one unless you're ready to jump since it's addictive.
What's a 7M CS?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 09:09 AM   #195
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up4speed View Post
It's not about age. A car enthusiast will appreciate all of the M cars, as well as other brand performance models. It just happens that the enthusiasts are usually younger guys. Of course enthusiasts come in all ages and genders, but it's USUALLY little boys, and men up to 50 years old. That's who cares about nice cars.
Come to think of it, you’re absolutely right.
I remember having a picture of a 930 Turbo on my wall, about 300 Matchbox cars in my room as a kid lol.

I agree with the general concensus here about how cars may be perceived as status quo, a reflection of the owners’ sex and age.
But I couldn’t care less about what others think of me driving an M2.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 09:10 AM   #196
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
What's a 7M CS?
7 speed manual carrera S
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 09:16 AM   #197
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
7 speed manual carrera S
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 06:01 PM   #198
Up4speed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2013 Ferrari 458  [0.00]
2015 Golf GTI  [0.00]
This last Sunday, I drove the M2C and the new 911 Carerra on the track back to back. There is no question that the 911 is a better car in almost every way.....
BUT, I felt that the M2C was more playful, AND it's 1/2 the price! For those reasons, my old ass (52) ordered a M2C and not a 911! I'm anxiously awaiting it's arrival.
Appreciate 5
pz6193278.50
ADDONE230.00
BigKutta3906.50
Germanauto9704.00
Bumpinjeep5532.50