BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Too old for an M2C ?

09-02-2020, 05:19 PM   #155
bmwdrive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
Based on the feedback from this thread, it seems most owners of the M2C are much older than what was originally expected.

This actually makes a lot of sense. You buyers tend to gravitate towards more tech and prestige. The M2C is a true driver's car in BMW's lineup. There is not too many frills or luxurious compared to the past gen M4. Hope the responses here answered your question, OP. Go out there and get a M2!
Yes, the feedback has been awesome. I'm waiting to see how the M3 turns out in terms of handling/steering before pulling the trigger on one of them. I can't wait to be back in a fun car.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 08:48 AM   #156
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansomatic View Post
I admit to wondering the same. Now that I am able to afford a GT3, there's no way I am spending that kind of money on a car. Early retirement with an Airstream is significantly more appealing. An M2CS may bot be a GT3 but it scratches the itch.

When my father-in-Law first heard me talk about my GT3 dream (many years ago) his response was... "oh, that's just a phase". Of course, he's correct. But sex is 'just a phase' too. Everything has a phase, even life. What are we going to do - sit around and wait for everything that get's our blood flowing to just pass us by? Shall we arrive safely at death? Not me, brother. One life!
It really comes down to your own satisfaction with what you buy. If you buy an M2 instead of the GT3, will you have envy or regret every time you see one? Do you feel like you need to portray some level of status among peers? Have you test driven both to realize the difference in the $$?

I know people who drive very expensive supercars, and I've heard one or two say they dont like long drives (in any car). So my guess is that a supercar is a prestige buy for them. On the other hand I know people who can afford supercars, but drive a true enthusiast car because they know they can daily drive them and enjoy them every day, versus leaving them parked in the garage. You get where I'm going with this? How happy will you be with the M2C versus the GT3?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 01:22 PM   #157
jordantii
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 Sea

I'm 53 and just lemoned my Alfa Giulia Quad and picked up an M2C yesterday. Never too old!
Appreciate 3
BigKutta3903.50
JggyM228.50
      09-03-2020, 02:24 PM   #158
Mavallone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328Xi, Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansomatic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by danf72 View Post
But at "my age" I'm debating if an M3/M4 is more appropriate. Or even a 911, although I'm loathe to spend that kind of money on a car. Is the M2C more of a car for 20 year olds or 30 year olds?
I admit to wondering the same. Now that I am able to afford a GT3, there's no way I am spending that kind of money on a car. Early retirement with an Airstream is significantly more appealing. An M2CS may bot be a GT3 but it scratches the itch.

When my father-in-Law first heard me talk about my GT3 dream (many years ago) his response was... "oh, that's just a phase". Of course, he's correct. But sex is 'just a phase' too. Everything has a phase, even life. What are we going to do - sit around and wait for everything that get's our blood flowing to just pass us by? Shall we arrive safely at death? Not me, brother. One life!
57yrs old. Picked up mine on Monday!
Appreciate 1
blkonblk195.00
      09-03-2020, 03:12 PM   #159
Racer59
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Quote:
I don't like to think I'm old, but I am almost 50 with a family so I'm not a teenager either. I have a perfect family car in a Tesla Model S. It's great at everything, except that it's kind of a big boring family sedan. This is definitely a first world problem, but now that the Tesla tech amazingness has worn off, I just drive it around like a minivan. Whenever I hear Elon Musk talk about the next advance in self driving, rather than being appropriately excited, I think.. oh great, so we will make driving even more boring.

I test drove a M2C about a year ago and my reaction was.. "it's alive!" I loved it. But at "my age" I'm debating if an M3/M4 is more appropriate. Or even a 911, although I'm loathe to spend that kind of money on a car. Is the M2C more of a car for 20 year olds or 30 year olds? This sounds like a stupid question in my head even as I type it. But it's a thing. You know, I shouldn't be wearing skinny jeans at some point either (not that they fit me, but you know what I mean).
You're not a real enthusiast if you worry about how old you have to be to own one, lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 03:17 PM   #160
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordantii View Post
I'm 53 and just lemoned my Alfa Giulia Quad and picked up an M2C yesterday. Never too old!
Let me guess, electrical gremlins with the Alfa?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 04:09 PM   #161
BlacMacJac
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW '20 M2C

ha. I'm 51 and I sold my well-mod'd GolfR for the M2C, in part, because the only people that ever complimented it were 20 year olds.

the other part was that I did want what I perceived to be a more "mature" ride, but one that also retained a 6sp.

a year later, I'm so glad I made the transaction.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 05:42 PM   #162
bmwdrive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacMacJac View Post
ha. I'm 51 and I sold my well-mod'd GolfR for the M2C, in part, because the only people that ever complimented it were 20 year olds.

the other part was that I did want what I perceived to be a more "mature" ride, but one that also retained a 6sp.

And now who are the people who give you compliments on the M2C?
Appreciate 1
BlkSVT388.50
      09-03-2020, 07:05 PM   #163
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacMacJac View Post

And now who are the people who give you compliments on the M2C?
Yeah exactly...got complemented by a kid at Walmart. No one else bats an eye at it. Oh maybe get some attention from modded Subaru guys 😂 or vehicles with large aftermarket wings in the back.
      09-03-2020, 08:29 PM   #164
ewohar
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335I Dinan Stage II

Quote:
I don't like to think I'm old, but I am almost 50 with a family so I'm not a teenager either. I have a perfect family car in a Tesla Model S. It's great at everything, except that it's kind of a big boring family sedan. This is definitely a first world problem, but now that the Tesla tech amazingness has worn off, I just drive it around like a minivan. Whenever I hear Elon Musk talk about the next advance in self driving, rather than being appropriately excited, I think.. oh great, so we will make driving even more boring.

I test drove a M2C about a year ago and my reaction was.. "it's alive!" I loved it. But at "my age" I'm debating if an M3/M4 is more appropriate. Or even a 911, although I'm loathe to spend that kind of money on a car. Is the M2C more of a car for 20 year olds or 30 year olds? This sounds like a stupid question in my head even as I type it. But it's a thing. You know, I shouldn't be wearing skinny jeans at some point either (not that they fit me, but you know what I mean).
61 here. Love mine. Don't compromise. Perfectly acceptable ride for an enthusiast of any age.
Appreciate 1
CSBM52722.50
      09-03-2020, 08:41 PM   #165
jordantii
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Let me guess, electrical gremlins with the Alfa?
You nailed it. 2018 and I thought I was in the clear. 99 days in the shop. Amazing car when running right. Funny thing is I had ordered an M2C and took the alfa instead. Posted here 2 years ago to help the dealer sell my spot. Net-net I got a great deal on this m2c and got paid for the alfa... I'm glad I had time with the alfa too.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 09:59 PM   #166
Up4speed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2013 Ferrari 458  [0.00]
2015 Golf GTI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordantii View Post
You nailed it. 2018 and I thought I was in the clear. 99 days in the shop. Amazing car when running right. Funny thing is I had ordered an M2C and took the alfa instead. Posted here 2 years ago to help the dealer sell my spot. Net-net I got a great deal on this m2c and got paid for the alfa... I'm glad I had time with the alfa too.
I had the opportunity to pick up a fully loaded Alpha Quad for $26K under MSRP! It was so tempting since they are fun, great driving cars and they look great. After doing some research, I couldn't even believe how many problems people were having with them. At first I was mad, but then it actually turned funny. My turning point was when I read about a guy who was on a test drive and the brand new car broke down. but that's not the worst part. They picked him up and gave him another car to finish his test drive, and that one BROKE DOWN TOO!!! I literally started laughing and decided to get the M2.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 08:00 AM   #167
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up4speed View Post
I had the opportunity to pick up a fully loaded Alpha Quad for $26K under MSRP! It was so tempting since they are fun, great driving cars and they look great. After doing some research, I couldn't even believe how many problems people were having with them. At first I was mad, but then it actually turned funny. My turning point was when I read about a guy who was on a test drive and the brand new car broke down. but that's not the worst part. They picked him up and gave him another car to finish his test drive, and that one BROKE DOWN TOO!!! I literally started laughing and decided to get the M2.
Same crap with Maserati. You can literally negotiate 20-25k off a new Gibili or even more of a quad. There's a reason for that
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 03:56 AM   #168
goku7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C ED 08/2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by goku7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by boss2k View Post
Is that stock exhaust tips?
stock. the only mod I put money in is the electronic steering wheel
I am looking at M performance steering wheel too, which one did you buy ?
The one with the ferrari style shifter lights on the wheel
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 04:01 AM   #169
goku7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C ED 08/2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
Based on the feedback from this thread, it seems most owners of the M2C are much older than what was originally expected.

This actually makes a lot of sense. You buyers tend to gravitate towards more tech and prestige. The M2C is a true driver's car in BMW's lineup. There is not too many frills or luxurious compared to the past gen M4. Hope the responses here answered your question, OP. Go out there and get a M2!
I'm 31. I think m2 owners are more informed car enthusiasts regardless of age. If u see someone driving a m6 or m8 u know they care more about prestige than sharp driving
Appreciate 3
JCZ51482.50
akkando5864.50
      09-05-2020, 07:19 AM   #170
contented
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C DCT, 2022 Ford Bronco

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard in NC View Post
Given your location says southeast, look into the BMW Performance Center schools. If a BMW CCA member there are special 1 day half off sessions. You'll learn a ton and have great fun too. I've seen many ages there, all enjoying it to their level.
Sorry for slow response. The one day M School was actually on my agenda until covid. Next year for sure.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 12:38 PM   #171
mercury26
Lord of the Rings
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 Audi SQ5,05 BMW 330i ZHP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
Same crap with Maserati. You can literally negotiate 20-25k off a new Gibili or even more of a quad. There's a reason for that
They are Fiat-Chrysler vehicles that should tell you everything you need to know. I will never own another FCA vehicle, I briefly owned a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT the power and performance was great. The build quality was atrocious and dealer network was just as bad. Almost bought the TrackHawk, glad I did not.

BTW, I am 48 (soon to be 49), my M2C is on a ship now. I was going to do European Delivery, but had to cancel due to travel restrictions.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 12:50 PM   #172
ZQQM
Carbon Life form
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Just picked up a 2020 M2C HS DCT.

Will be a daily driver, I'm 58.

2008 Exige S240

2006 C6 Z06 - track car
Appreciate 1
Mavallone164.50
      09-05-2020, 08:53 PM   #173
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Well. Today my brother sent me a link via iMessage to Alfa's web site to show the Guilia spec he wants to buy.

I kid you not, I clicked on it and it rebooted my iPad.

I then tried it again. Same thing.

I guess it prepares you for the ownership experience.
Appreciate 7
CSBM52722.50
JCZ51482.50
Bobh5952.00
Up4speed171.50
akkando5864.50
j23654.50
      09-06-2020, 05:40 AM   #174
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Quote:
Well. Today my brother sent me a link via iMessage to Alfa's web site to show the Guilia spec he wants to buy.

I'm surprised Alfa's reliability and quality is still relatively terrible. You would think they would have gotten their life together with their history...
      09-06-2020, 12:05 PM   #175
blkonblk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C LBB

Brought home M2C a little over 2 weeks ago. Wife said, "You deserved it Hon", daughter said, "Good for you Dad but why not a manual, bum knee huh?" (from many years of basketball, tennis and skiing). Granddaughter likes it too.

You're never too old to drive a car that you like and enjoy it while you can, will be 64 in a few months.
Appreciate 1
Mavallone164.50
      09-08-2020, 01:53 PM   #176
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Quote:

this is perfect
Appreciate 0