BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Car and Driver Comparison Test: M2 CS vs. 2021 Cayman GTS 4.0

08-14-2021, 12:58 AM   #111
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Both great cars. Having owned 8 bimmers so far, I'd choose the Porsche just for variety. M2CS, though, might be a bimmer I wouldn't mind keeping for life because it's so versatile.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 02:10 AM   #112
rwemersonrw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition, Acura TSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by F82KPowers View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwemersonrw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllaVodka View Post
M2 cs is my choice from BMW M. But porsche is a different driving experience
Totally agreed. There are so many gt4 and gt3s at my club and there is no question they are better than my m2c but a lot of them, when they see me sliding around, come back and say wow that looks like so much fun. M2 requires a good to great driver; gt4 and gt3 not so much.
Bimmer dudes reproduce and need backseats for offspring, or otherwise have friends they need to haul. Porsche bros just have magazine stats and internet articles which need no more space than their frunks provide. Don't @ me
🤣🤣🤣 you're hilarious and nuts haha
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2021, 07:13 AM   #113
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Both fantastic cars, I'd be happy with either.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 08:00 AM   #114
e90335e36m3
M3
Rep
Drives: M3s

Any time a BMW is beaten all of you get so butthurt. Get over it, Porsche has always produced better performing cars because their core focus has always been to incrementally improve performance. BMW, not so much.
Appreciate 2
      08-14-2021, 09:23 AM   #115
apptest
Private2
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F32 Coupe!

Garage List
ðŸ‘
      08-14-2021, 02:58 PM   #116
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

The GT4 would totally dominate the CS wouldn't be a fair contest. So I guess they tested it against the lesser GTS. Shows how short BMW came with the brief on the CS. The new Lotus Emira will beat all of them and it looks fabulous
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 05:34 PM   #117
///Mangler
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Darth Vader Trackcar

Garage List
2000 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90335e36m3 View Post
Any time a BMW is beaten all of you get so butthurt. Get over it, Porsche has always produced better performing cars because their core focus has always been to incrementally improve performance. BMW, not so much.
Has a newer BMW ever come out that wasn't measurably better than the previous, little by little?

What's your definition of incremental?

T
Appreciate 1
Acetech218.50
      08-14-2021, 05:52 PM   #118
MNoob
Grand Duke
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4CSL

Garage List
2024 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2005 Lotus Elise  [10.00]
2023 BMW M4 CSL  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc3 View Post
The GT4 would totally dominate the CS wouldn't be a fair contest. So I guess they tested it against the lesser GTS. Shows how short BMW came with the brief on the CS. The new Lotus Emira will beat all of them and it looks fabulous
No lotus is suitable for a daily driver. Just weekend fun. Ability to read wiring diagram is a must.
      08-14-2021, 05:58 PM   #119
e90335e36m3
M3
Rep
Drives: M3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mangler View Post
Quote:
Has a newer BMW ever come out that wasn't measurably better than the previous, little by little?

What's your definition of incremental?

T
They're better without a doubt, but the better is always offset by something worse, especially weight. M4 GTS is a perfect example, it's kitch. It's not in the same league as a Cayman GT4, let alone a GT3RS. It looks the part, has all the "because race car" features (e.g. water injection), but can it put its power down? Nope. Can it carry its weight in the corners? Nope.

In fact, the inability to put down the power was one of the biggest complaints about the F8x platform. They gave it all the power in the world, but it couldn't use that power. In the end it was faster than the E9x but only because the power and torque was on another level. To me that is faux incremental improvement. Two steps forward, one step back.

Porsche has been pumping out around 500 naturally aspirated HP in the GT3 for at least 2 generations running 11 second quarter mile times without any issue. Seems like BMW finally fixed this in the G8x platform. Still a fat, ugly pig.

BMW wants to do everything well and that's it's appeal. Pretty good at everything overall. Porsche has always focused on performance first, and does it way better than BMW.

Porsche has been refining the same design generation after generation, to squeeze every last bit of performance out of their cars.

Always was and always will be better. You don't see many Porsche owners aspiring to own M series cars.

In any case, this forum goes crazy regardless of the comparison. They would find reasons why an M2CS is better performer vs. a Viper ACR or a GT3RS or even an F1 car.

I own an F8x CS, and love every minute of it, for what it is, for its balance, but I know better than to compare it against the performance versions of the Porsche.
Appreciate 3
      08-14-2021, 07:26 PM   #120
kart driver
Captain
Rep
Drives: M & GT

Quote:
They're better without a doubt, but the better is always offset by something worse, especially weight. M4 GTS is a perfect example, it's kitch. It's not in the same league as a Cayman GT4, let alone a GT3RS. It looks the part, has all the "because race car" features (e.g. water injection), but can it put its power down? Nope. Can it carry its weight in the corners? Nope.

In fact, the inability to put down the power was one of the biggest complaints about the F8x platform. They gave it all the power in the world, but it couldn't use that power. In the end it was faster than the E9x but only because the power and torque was on another level. To me that is faux incremental improvement. Two steps forward, one step back.

Porsche has been pumping out around 500 naturally aspirated HP in the GT3 for at least 2 generations running 11 second quarter mile times without any issue. Seems like BMW finally fixed this in the G8x platform. Still a fat, ugly pig.

BMW wants to do everything well and that's it's appeal. Pretty good at everything overall. Porsche has always focused on performance first, and does it way better than BMW.

Porsche has been refining the same design generation after generation, to squeeze every last bit of performance out of their cars.

Always was and always will be better. You don't see many Porsche owners aspiring to own M series cars.

In any case, this forum goes crazy regardless of the comparison. They would find reasons why an M2CS is better performer vs. a Viper ACR or a GT3RS or even an F1 car.

I own an F8x CS, and love every minute of it, for what it is, for its balance, but I know better than to compare it against the performance versions of the Porsche.

Fully in agreement with you.
Porsche is making by far better sportscars. Caymans GTS is just built as a better sports-car than M2CS without any doubt. But on this forum you may find many opinions that M2CS is a better sports car than GT4, leaving GTS as not worth mentioning at all.

But that is so logical to expect to see so many bmw fanboys defending their choice on a bmw forum in a M2CS section. Although I am very much amazed how blind one can be saying that black is white and vice versa.

P.S. I do own several M cars and just one Porsche GT at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 10:06 PM   #121
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
I've never defended my choice ever. I have zero interest in a Cayman. To me, it's an ugly little pointless car. I bought the car I wanted. It has exceeded my expectations which were already high and I could not be happier with my choice. That seems to upset people for some sort of reason or other.
Appreciate 2
F87EVO4033.00
RednekM2146.00
      08-14-2021, 11:00 PM   #122
HelpMeHelpU
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C, 981 GT4, 993 C2, Audi S4

It was a similar article in MotorTrend that got me interested in the M2 in the first place. I have had (and love) a GT4 for five years and was looking for another fun MT car with a back seat. I got tired of seeing prices of 997s rise ten grand a week, and I lucked into a buildable allocation for a M2C (it's not a CS, I understand, but for my purpose, should suffice). It just arrived last week and am looking forward to adding miles this week to see what I think about it.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 11:33 PM   #123
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

So much defensiveness and attacking of the character of magazine writers and Porsche owners. As per usual @ bpost

The M2CS is an awesome car. So what if a magazine writer still prefers a Cayman, do we really have to lash out against an entire community like that?
Appreciate 3
chris7197334.00
jmg18705.00
      08-15-2021, 03:15 AM   #124
cc3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNoob View Post
Quote:
No lotus is suitable for a daily driver. Just weekend fun. Ability to read wiring diagram is a must.
Now owned by Geely. Major investment in new factory, engineering processes etc

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.t...92542.amp.html

https://www.evo.co.uk/lotus/203463/l...lpine-a110?amp
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 07:34 AM   #125
535i MSport
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63S T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
So much defensiveness and attacking of the character of magazine writers and Porsche owners. As per usual @ bpost

The M2CS is an awesome car. So what if a magazine writer still prefers a Cayman, do we really have to lash out against an entire community like that?
It's the way of the irrational fan boy. It's not a crime for another car to be better than a BMW
Repeat after me…🤣

Personally, I think the price of an M2 CS is - here in the UK at least - daft.

2017 C63S T 510PS
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      08-15-2021, 08:10 AM   #126
MNoob
Grand Duke
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4CSL

Garage List
2024 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
2005 Lotus Elise  [10.00]
2023 BMW M4 CSL  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Perfect. Maybe they will release wiring diagrams in color😉.

Dealer network would have to improve (in the US) for a Lotus to be worthwhile as a daily. Too many issues with too little support.
      08-15-2021, 08:10 AM   #127
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

Having owned an M2C and now a GT4 it's an interesting comparison. If you want a manual, small, RWD car with proper backseats nothing can really compete with the M2. Great chassis, but numb front end and the S55 is ultimately a pretty uninspiring power plant. Can't beat an NA engine for a drivers car in my opinion, for daily torque wafting turbos are great. A more interesting comparison would be an e9x M3 with the Cayman, as it can compete on feel and power train. As for fun, I have way more fun in my GT4 than I ever did in my M2C. It's visceral, connected, and engaging in a way any f8x car can never be.
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2021, 08:36 AM   #128
cc3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Perfect. Maybe they will release wiring diagrams in color😉.

Dealer network would have to improve (in the US) for a Lotus to be worthwhile as a daily. Too many issues with too little support.
Bit like BMW - still BMW is almost as good as Renault but just ahead of Ford. Shows they are now a brand that has lost its way. Just another mass market manufacturer selling through big discounts with a pretty unremarkable product range 😀😀

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/best-c...-manufacturers
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 09:42 AM   #129
Hapkin
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2CS 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_bm View Post
Maybe in a specific area code. I personally know 30+ category driving caymans. Getting a boxster for myself next year and still have 20+ years to get there.
I have driven M2 and M2 comp and wasn't impressed. Steering is complete devote of any road feel. Can't say if CS is that much better, but between Cayman S and M2 comp for me personally, there is simply no contest. P car wins by a significant margin.
CS is the game changer due to 40kg less unsprung mass with the carbon ceramics.i had more fun and did faster laptimes with this than my 997.2 Targa 4S 6spd and also, had no problems keeping up and passing GT4's. GT3's were faster no doubt. Way less terminal understeer in the CS at the limit compared to M2C or OGM2. Suspension way a regeneration. Beautiful damping, and stiff chassis. You feel the lower center of gravity and less unsprung mass with every input.

Revving the CS to 7500 gives you useful revs to stay in the power band, Street with throttle and avoid time losing gearshifts.

Plus M2CS is more fun in my hands than GT 4 on the road 100% of the time because of the long Porsche gearing AND better damping of the CS.

Lastly, at the end of my track day, I comfortably drove 2 other guys home because their McClaren broke down. So people practicality is inarguable.

GT4 is technically faster, feels lower, but is much stiffer sprung, and at the redline is super fun on the limit. But it is a little TOO German clinical feeling for my tastes. GT4 is a fantastic car, but I chose CS over GT4.

For those of you comparing M2C to GT4, you need to drive a CS at the track. It's a different animal than the. M2C.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 09:58 AM   #130
cc3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapkin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_bm View Post
Maybe in a specific area code. I personally know 30+ category driving caymans. Getting a boxster for myself next year and still have 20+ years to get there.
I have driven M2 and M2 comp and wasn't impressed. Steering is complete devote of any road feel. Can't say if CS is that much better, but between Cayman S and M2 comp for me personally, there is simply no contest. P car wins by a significant margin.
CS is the game changer due to 40kg less unsprung mass with the carbon ceramics.i had more fun and did faster laptimes with this than my 997.2 Targa 4S 6spd and also, had no problems keeping up and passing GT4's. GT3's were faster no doubt. Way less terminal understeer in the CS at the limit compared to M2C or OGM2. Suspension way a regeneration. Beautiful damping, and stiff chassis. You feel the lower center of gravity and less unsprung mass with every input.

Revving the CS to 7500 gives you useful revs to stay in the power band, Street with throttle and avoid time losing gearshifts.

Plus M2CS is more fun in my hands than GT 4 on the road 100% of the time because of the long Porsche gearing AND better damping of the CS.

Lastly, at the end of my track day, I comfortably drove 2 other guys home because their McClaren broke down. So people practicality is inarguable.

GT4 is technically faster, feels lower, but is much stiffer sprung, and at the redline is super fun on the limit. But it is a little TOO German clinical feeling for my tastes. GT4 is a fantastic car, but I chose CS over GT4.

For those of you comparing M2C to GT4, you need to drive a CS at the track. It's a different animal than the. M2C.
M2CS is 10 seconds a lap slower than GT4 same professional driver. That's a light year. Even slower than 981 GT4

https://fastestlaps.com/tracks/nordschleife

https://www.driverdb.com/drivers/christian-gebhardt/
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 10:36 AM   #131
mchart
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 M Coupe

Quote:
M2CS is 10 seconds a lap slower than GT4 same professional driver. That's a light year. Even slower than 981 GT4

No one disputes that, on a track. The fact is the M2CS feels faster driving around in real life due to the engine, and the handling is a massive improvement over the M2C. If you want a track car get the Porsche for sure. However, driving out on some canyon road the M2CS is just way more fun, and for me personally, at Colorado altitudes the engine in the GT4 wasn't enough.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 11:50 AM   #132
cc3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchart View Post
Quote:

No one disputes that, on a track. The fact is the M2CS feels faster driving around in real life due to the engine, and the handling is a massive improvement over the M2C. If you want a track car get the Porsche for sure. However, driving out on some canyon road the M2CS is just way more fun, and for me personally, at Colorado altitudes the engine in the GT4 wasn't enough.
M2CS is a good effort for BMW but they set the bar pretty low these days. No decent sports cars no super/ hyper car and little involvement in serious motor racing. They just turn out heavily discounted metal and rely of past glories. The M2CS is ridiculously over priced in the U.K. I have probably owned about 40 BMW's including all the M's but they do nothing for me these days. Porsche, McLaren are a different league and far more enjoyable. The forthcoming Lotus Emira will be very interesting. Problem with the Lotus is that they have 2 years worth of deposits already as it's that good
Appreciate 2
ASAP10159.00
AllaVodka634.00