BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > OBD Port recessed/can't connect cable(s)?

04-27-2023, 07:41 PM   #1
silstream
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI Black Shadow Ed.

OBD Port recessed/can't connect cable(s)?

I'm probably being really lame here, but I'm unable to connect anything to my OBD port (tried multiple cables/adapters) so I suspect it's been pushed up/recessed into it's own housing? Anyone had this happen? Any guidance on which trim I'd need to remove to get to it as I can see there's a knee airbag etc. right there?

I think my car has a lojack device so it's possible that I have an OBD pass-through cable that has meddled with this.

See pictures if it helps.

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 09:07 PM   #2
silstream
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I undid the 2 bolts holding that trim in place and manage to get the port back in place, but whenever I plug in a cable (even with light force to get it to connect) it's pushing the port right up into the housing again and can't stay connected so likely a clip that holds the port to its mount has broken. Not a showstopper as I can bypass the usual mount/housing and connect direct when I need to code something but still a bit frustrating having to remove the lower panel every time.

I'm now motivated to remove the entire lower panel so I can properly investigate and see if the lojack is there as I'd love to just get rid of it...
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 09:47 PM   #3
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Something's wrong with your OBD2 port's pins. They're supposed to be female pins but for some reason yours looks like they're male. Check if you have some kind of protector/anti theft device on it.

Otherwise depth of the connector is normal.

Edit - actually looking at it again something is definitely wrong with your port, why is it rectangular it's supposed to be like a trapezoid
      04-27-2023, 10:05 PM   #4
silstream
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Edit - actually looking at it again something is definitely wrong with your port, why is it rectangular it's supposed to be like a trapezoid
It is trapezoid but you can't see that because all the pins and the main connector are recessed within the more rectangular bracket/housing that holds the connector in place so right now the connector is sitting flush with the housing. If I push the connector through from above then it's the right shape and can connect - the trouble is the connector doesn't stay there and any pressure to connect a cable just results in the whole connector being pushed flush again with the housing...

Thanks for the feedback. I'll take a look in more detail tomorrow and report back.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 10:20 PM   #5
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by silstream View Post
It is trapezoid but you can't see that because all the pins and the main connector are recessed within the more rectangular bracket/housing that holds the connector in place so right now the connector is sitting flush with the housing. If I push the connector through from above then it's the right shape and can connect - the trouble is the connector doesn't stay there and any pressure to connect a cable just results in the whole connector being pushed flush again with the housing...

Thanks for the feedback. I'll take a look in more detail tomorrow and report back.
I see, I think I understand what you're saying now. I think your OBD2 connector housing is broken so it keeps moving. You'll probably need to replace it.
      04-28-2023, 08:35 AM   #6
silstream
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Confirming it was the lojack pass-through cable causing the trouble as it comes with a separate housing that I think I can remove and remount the master/original OBD port.

Glad to have the lojack disconnected and the OBD back to OEM!

Pass-Thru Cable

OEM Port will be reattached:
Appreciate 2
      04-28-2023, 06:22 PM   #7
silstream
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

All sorted. Original OBD connector back in it's proper place and followed the wire up to behind the front vent and removed the LoJack (full setup shown on seat below - was installed by either previous owner/dealer and I never plan to activate it). Sharing photos here just in case anyone else has issues with their OBD connector.

Last edited by silstream; 04-28-2023 at 06:27 PM..
Appreciate 3
jefe2000739.50
inTgr8r2431.50
      02-13-2024, 10:22 AM   #8
mikola
Azerbaijan
Rep
Drives: BMW 528i

Garage List
2016 BMW 528i  [9.00]
So happy to find this post. I have exactly the same problem. The port is flush with the housing, can't connect the reader because the slightest pressure push the whole thing into the dashboard. That LoJack thing something I've never heard of before
Appreciate 0