BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Cobra Nogaro Seats Installed!

03-21-2021, 01:23 PM   #89
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Nope. Still can't clear codes with BimmerLink. So frustrating!

Would it have anything to do with the fact I removed the seat belts and there is something else I need to code out?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 03:20 PM   #90
blitzyo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 19' M2C

I couldn't get the seatbelt one to go away with the seatbelt coded out. Had to plug the seatbelt back in to the yellow connector.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 09:23 AM   #91
skyjunky
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2guru View Post
Nope. Still can't clear codes with BimmerLink. So frustrating!

Would it have anything to do with the fact I removed the seat belts and there is something else I need to code out?
If you removed the seat belt tensioner completely you'll have to code something else out as well.

If you still have the it installed you have to plug in the 4 pin connector from the buckle to the yellow seat connector to get rid of the warning.
2001 325ci - sold
1998 318is - gone
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 03:10 PM   #92
WBR007
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2C

NICE!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 02:11 PM   #93
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
So I have an update using my method with various emulators to prevent the need for any coding. Unfortunately, it looks like some coding may still be required, depending on how far you want to go with a plug-n-play solution. The good news is all emulators that I mentioned using in my previous posts still work for both the passenger and driver side. The passenger side still works with no coding necessary. But I ran into a snag when testing the driver side.

After completing the wiring on the drivers side seat base, I plugged in the seat base for a test - I got a driver seat restraint error. After pulling codes with both BimmerLink and ISTA, the driver restraint errors were all linked to the driver seat module being missing. The specific error was: C95409 Driver seat module (seat memory): Module does not send. Further research revealed the following. US cars have a dual stage air bag (for both driver and passenger). The dual stage takes into account the position of the seat to determine how much force the air bag will deploy in an accident. The passenger side uses a separate seat position sensor for this purpose (I retained mine from the used passenger seat base I am using). The driver side stores the seat position in the driver seat module. So, no driver seat module, no driver seat position storage and input, you get the driver restraint error. Even though this error revolves around the missing driver seat module, it is still stored in the ASCM module - hence the driver restraint error.

So, you can either re-use your driver seat module (for a 100% plug-n-play solution) or just code off (nicht_aktiv) the driver seat position parameters, which should be:

Sitzpositionsensor_Fahrer (Driver seat position sensor)
Sitzpositionsensorserkennung_Sitzmemory_Fahrer (Driver seat position sensor memory)

Other seat coding research I did indicated that only the driver seat position memory needs to be changed (since there is no separate driver seat position sensor, like on the passenger side). But doing both should be fine. I have not completed my install yet (seats should finally come in next week). Even though I would need to only code possibly two parameters for my setup, I still may try the complete plug-n-play method with another driver seat module - just because I like the challenge .

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 1
ebisu81070.50
      03-27-2021, 02:59 PM   #94
asciimike
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
I'll be curious if it works with any driver seat module, or if the car only knows about it's particular set of modules and you'd have to flash the new ones. I'm interested in putting seat heaters back in, but that will require seat modules. Want to know if I can grab any two and retrofit them, or if I have to use the original ones.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 04:35 PM   #95
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by asciimike View Post
I'll be curious if it works with any driver seat module, or if the car only knows about it's particular set of modules and you'd have to flash the new ones. I'm interested in putting seat heaters back in, but that will require seat modules. Want to know if I can grab any two and retrofit them, or if I have to use the original ones.
Pretty sure the seat modules will need to be flashed/programmed unless you use your original ones. Good news is that BMW uses the same seat modules on a ton of models so finding used ones should be pretty easy. They are also different type modules for the driver and passenger (I actually have a passenger side one I will let go cheap ). Don't forget about the seat wiring harnesses as well...

Interesting that you want to retro-fit heat back into your Nogaro's. I actually re-purposed the seat heater power leads in the yellow connector for an aftermarket, electric lumbar support kit if I think I need once I have my Nogaro's installed in my F80.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 06:34 PM   #96
TargaM2
M///modifyer
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2015 Renault RS275R  [9.50]
2019 Renault RS280  [10.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 Audi Q2  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Quote:
Pretty sure the seat modules will need to be flashed/programmed unless you use your original ones. Good news is that BMW uses the same seat modules on a ton of models so finding used ones should be pretty easy. They are also different type modules for the driver and passenger (I actually have a passenger side one I will let go cheap ). Don't forget about the seat wiring harnesses as well...

Interesting that you want to retro-fit heat back into your Nogaro's. I actually re-purposed the seat heater power leads in the yellow connector for an aftermarket, electric lumbar support kit if I think I need once I have my Nogaro's installed in my F80.
Electric lumbar support kit ? Do you have a link ?
      03-27-2021, 07:35 PM   #97
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaM2 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Here you go:

http://www.rostra.com/comfortseat-au...-by-rostra.php

Still trying to determine which kit I would use with a bucket seat shell like the Nogaro's (there are two variants). But the kits can be had for around $140 or so.

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 08:52 PM   #98
TargaM2
M///modifyer
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 Audi Q2  [5.50]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Here you go:

Still trying to determine which kit I would use with a bucket seat shell like the Nogaro's (there are two variants). But the kits can be had for around $140 or so.
Cheers, after a quick look into this option, you will need the front bladder kit for Nogaros (rear bladder kit is for oem style sprung seats), this electric setup looks very promising.
EDIT; Ordered the Rostra front mount kit, looks fairly easy install, much better option than the manual pumps Cobra/Recaro use.
      03-29-2021, 10:24 AM   #99
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Here you go:

Cheers, after a quick look into this option, you will need the front bladder kit for Nogaros (rear bladder kit is for oem style sprung seats), this electric setup looks very promising.
EDIT; Ordered the Rostra front mount kit, looks fairly easy install, much better option than the manual pumps Cobra/Recaro use.
Looking forward to your thoughts on the kit. I don't use lumbar support in my stock F80 M3 seats (it actually does not have it) and I don't feel I need it. However, I found that in my previous E46 M3 street/track car with bucket seats, the additional lumbar support would have been very beneficial - especially when driving the car on the street.

The wiring seems pretty easy (you have a power source right there at the yellow seat connector). But info on actual implementation on a race bucket seat with this kit is very lacking/non-existent.

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 10:56 PM   #100
asciimike
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
Quote:

Ok that's what I figured.

I don't particularly care, but those who sit in the passenger seat seem to, and keeping them happy is a priority.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 05:19 AM   #101
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Ok that's what I figured.

I don't particularly care, but those who sit in the passenger seat seem to, and keeping them happy is a priority.
If all you are attempting to do is the passenger side, it should be easier than the driver side. When I was doing my research for my Nogaro upgrade, I originally wanted to retain all OEM functions with OEM parts - heat, occupancy mat, etc. But then looking at the wiring and how the seat systems worked, it proved to be a bigger challenge than I wanted to deal with.

For keeping seat heat, assuming you can find a heating element that is compatible and the right size to fit in the Nogaro's (easier said than done as I found out), then you have to integrate with the LIN bus system of the car to communicate with the heating element. I am oversimplifying this a bit for brevity in this post, but the good news is that since the passenger seat module and wiring is "simpler" compared to the driver side, incorporating OEM seat heat on the passenger side did seem easier than the driver side. I just ultimately chose not to go down that path since I never use seat heat in my car (nor do passengers).

But it would be a great retro-fit if you can make it work!

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 05:50 AM   #102
TargaM2
M///modifyer
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 Audi Q2  [5.50]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Here you go:

Looking forward to your thoughts on the kit. I don't use lumbar support in my stock F80 M3 seats (it actually does not have it) and I don't feel I need it. However, I found that in my previous E46 M3 street/track car with bucket seats, the additional lumbar support would have been very beneficial - especially when driving the car on the street.

The wiring seems pretty easy (you have a power source right there at the yellow seat connector). But info on actual implementation on a race bucket seat with this kit is very lacking/non-existent.
Pictured below are my RS275R which came fitted with Recaro Pole positions from new & my RS200 which came fitted with Recaro Sportsters from new but which I since retrofitted with Cobra Evolutions.
Both are fine for their purpose as track/tarmac rally cars but as my M2 is my daily driver I want/need lumbar support in my Nogaros (my lower back is not in great condition either).
Attached Images

Last edited by TargaM2; 03-31-2021 at 06:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 10:36 PM   #103
RobbieR
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp

Looks pretty fantastic mate!

Looking at options on seats the moment. I’ve got an initial quote from AMX on some Recaro CS’s but it’s pretty expensive. These might be a much more economical option, and more supportive !
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 10:47 PM   #104
TargaM2
M///modifyer
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 Audi Q2  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieR View Post
Looks pretty fantastic mate!

Looking at options on seats the moment. I've got an initial quote from AMX on some Recaro CS's but it's pretty expensive. These might be a much more economical option, and more supportive !
Recaro Sportsters or Recaro CS (same thing) are a great seat imo especially if you want to use the rear seats.
My RS Clio came new with them back in 2010 & I fitted a set to my JCW Mini, I paid about $3k from memory for the leather set I fitted to the Mini but that was about 15 years ago (see pic).
Maybe try looking around for a used set (there's plenty out there as they were oem on plenty of cars) & having them reupholstered to match your interior.
Attached Images

04-25-2021, 05:16 AM   #105
TargaM2
M///modifyer
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 Audi Q2  [5.50]
Seats installed-Dakota leather/Polar blue stitch, BK mounts, OEM slides, Rostra lumbar...
Attached Images

jmciver1823.50
sly1types426.50
      04-25-2021, 01:15 PM   #106
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
You beat me to it. My Nogaro's are still sitting uninstalled in my garage. They look good . But since you were the first with the Rostra lumbar kit...

1) How did you mount the lumbar pad to the seat back to keep it from moving around?

2) How did you mount the lumbar switch? Did you cut into the side of the metal bracket?

3) Any pics with the seat cushion installed and lumbar at full inflation?

Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 02:19 PM   #107
TargaM2
M///modifyer
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 Audi Q2  [5.50]
Quote:
You beat me to it. My Nogaro's are still sitting uninstalled in my garage. They look good . But since you were the first with the Rostra lumbar kit...

1) How did you mount the lumbar pad to the seat back to keep it from moving around?

2) How did you mount the lumbar switch? Did you cut into the side of the metal bracket?

3) Any pics with the seat cushion installed and lumbar at full inflation?

Thanks!
1. Self adhesive Velcro - the pad also comes with double sided tape applied
2. Cut into BK side mount bracket - mounted it rearward of the e30 switch - pita to do (hardened steel)
3. Will get some more pics on the weekend
jmciver1823.50
      04-25-2021, 02:22 PM   #108
Obioban
Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
I’ve been using the cobra manual lumbar pump, but power lumbar seems fun 🤔
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 03:15 PM   #109
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
2. Cut into BK side mount bracket - mounted it rearward of the e30 switch - pita to do (hardened steel)
Cutting into the side mount for the switch? Impressive... I thought that is what that looked like - it looks very clean. May I ask what tool(s) you used for that? Cutting into that side mount does not look too DIY friendly - and I have quite a few DIY tools but looking at that steel it seemed out of my league without completely butchering it .

Below are a few pics of my seats. OEM BMW Dakota Leather with OEM BMW Carbonstructure cloth inserts to match the factory interior of my F80. I still have one more factory inspired "upgrade" to make to the seats before I install them in my M3 though....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 05:18 PM   #110
TargaM2
M///modifyer
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 Audi Q2  [5.50]
Quote:
Quote:
Cutting into the side mount for the switch? Impressive... I thought that is what that looked like - it looks very clean. May I ask what tool(s) you used for that? Cutting into that side mount does not look too DIY friendly - and I have quite a few DIY tools but looking at that steel it seemed out of my league without completely butchering it .

Below are a few pics of my seats. OEM BMW Dakota Leather with OEM BMW Carbonstructure cloth inserts to match the factory interior of my F80. I still have one more factory inspired "upgrade" to make to the seats before I install them in my M3 though....
Those look great, Cobra certainly do nice work, the fact they do custom work was what swayed me.
To mount the switch in the side mount I drilled several holes as a baseline & hand filed the cut out to get a prefect fit (as I said PITA).
I was tempted to simply cut & mount the switch into the side of the plastic centre console which would be simple & look neat enough but I want everything to be reversible if needed.