BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Sigh - What are folk doing about the Front License plate?

10-16-2018, 06:52 PM   #89
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C HS DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberwalk View Post
Here's another vote for the Carbonio. Has been pretty sturdy-no issues.

I think Saberwalk may be right here. If I could go back, I might have gone with the Carbonio. Not sure.

With the tow hook mount solution, there are pro's and con's and depending on your preferences, the Carbonio may win out.

Tow hook mount - pros
1. I think it looks really cool - I don't see too many out there in the wild, and it's yet another way potentially to have your car stand out a bit more
2. It leaves the front of your bumper completely open, and if you like how the center front looks and you want it completely unobstructed, then the tow hook mount does that for you

Tow hook mount - cons
1. Biggest con I just discovered today is that you can't go through a car wash. At least, you can't with the tow hook mount I bought. There's the danger that it'll get ripped off by those things that flap at the car. I know there are tow hook mounts that allow you to detach the plate, using magnets or something, in which case, this no longer becomes a concern. Also, if you don't like using car washes, and always wash the car yourself, then also no longer a concern

Anyway, I ended up going to Walmart today, buying a bunch of car washing equipment, and then had my 2 kids help me wash the car. Turned it into a game that they actually really enjoyed. Probably the first time in 20 years or more that I've actually washed a car myself!
Appreciate 2
Davil6511.00
nomoracin758.00
      10-17-2018, 05:48 AM   #90
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptobvious View Post
I think Saberwalk may be right here. If I could go back, I might have gone with the Carbonio. Not sure.

With the tow hook mount solution, there are pro's and con's and depending on your preferences, the Carbonio may win out.

Tow hook mount - pros
1. I think it looks really cool - I don't see too many out there in the wild, and it's yet another way potentially to have your car stand out a bit more
2. It leaves the front of your bumper completely open, and if you like how the center front looks and you want it completely unobstructed, then the tow hook mount does that for you

Tow hook mount - cons
1. Biggest con I just discovered today is that you can't go through a car wash. At least, you can't with the tow hook mount I bought. There's the danger that it'll get ripped off by those things that flap at the car. I know there are tow hook mounts that allow you to detach the plate, using magnets or something, in which case, this no longer becomes a concern. Also, if you don't like using car washes, and always wash the car yourself, then also no longer a concern

Anyway, I ended up going to Walmart today, buying a bunch of car washing equipment, and then had my 2 kids help me wash the car. Turned it into a game that they actually really enjoyed. Probably the first time in 20 years or more that I've actually washed a car myself!
I haven't taken my car through a wash that wasn't touch-free in years. Portland is oddly light on touch-free washes, but there's one that I drive by occasionally that actually uses warm water and does a decent job. The Carbonio suggests removing it for automatic washes too, probably for the "touch" washes more than the touch-free.

I bought a foam-cannon attachment for my little electric power washer but I'm close to giving up on it (the car does not get anywhere near clean enough but the foam cannon is massively fun to use) and stick with just careful hand-washes.

The Carbonio had no problem with being hit by my power-washer. Shot of my foamed little blue car while I was letting the foam sit for a few:
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Davil6511.00
cptobvious2531.50
      10-17-2018, 05:58 AM   #91
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post

The Carbonio had no problem with being hit by my power-washer. Shot of my foamed little blue car while I was letting the foam sit for a few:
Ha! I used to be fastidious hand washer years ago. I’ve used car washes for the last 10 years. Weirdly enough, just this morning I went down to the auto store and bought nearly $100 of new car cleaning stuff. So I’d like to say this is a #metoo moment. If you are allowed to say this. I don’t know these days.
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      11-02-2018, 06:12 PM   #92
obazavil
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C, SO, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Quote:

Ha! I used to be fastidious hand washer years ago. I’ve used car washes for the last 10 years. Weirdly enough, just this morning I went down to the auto store and bought nearly $100 of new car cleaning stuff. So I’d like to say this is a #metoo moment. If you are allowed to say this. I don’t know these days.
Hi!

I just contacted the people from Sto and SHO and they are not sure their product fits on m2c.

From this thread seems that m2c works fine?

Can someone confirm that's the case ?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 07:39 PM   #93
necoblitz
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Black Sapphire Metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy9123 View Post
I don't think the tow hook license plate looks too bad. It's what I have right now, and you can position it to not trip any of the front parking sensors. The other way is to just leave off and deal with the tickets if you do get caught. Depending on where you are it might be a small price to pay.
I used the Sto n Sho plate bracket on my FType, now planning to install on the M2. Very neat, small block stays mounted under grille, plate snaps on when needed.

https://bigmikesperformanceparts.com/
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 02:05 AM   #94
Voski
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 325d *E82 1M coupe*

Belgium:
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 12:37 PM   #95
Geoffo
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Something else..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voski View Post
Belgium:
Voski. Where did you get that sticker from?? Trowens, Ik ben ook in Belgie.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 08:54 AM   #96
Fenerbahce
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Does anyone have more photos of the Carbonio on an M2C? I also haven't seen any cars with the standard US front plate mount, so if anyone has done the standard path, it would be nice to see.

The Carbonio looks great but maybe sits a tad low. More importantly, I wonder what would happen if another car bumped the Carbonio? Are we talking grill damage?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 09:28 AM   #97
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep

It clips onto the lower grill, so an impact could certainly damage the grill. Here's a close up of where it sits. There is one more "half" honeycomb above the one I used to mount the bracket but I wasn't able to get the bracket piece onto that "half" without scraping against the paint on the bumper so I skipped it and went down to the first full-size opening.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      06-19-2019, 10:14 AM   #98
DARKMTTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 M2 Competition & '18 X1

Garage List
Quote:
It clips onto the lower grill, so an impact could certainly damage the grill. Here's a close up of where it sits. There is one more "half" honeycomb above the one I used to mount the bracket but I wasn't able to get the bracket piece onto that "half" without scraping against the paint on the bumper so I skipped it and went down to the first full-size opening.
I'm about to pull the trigger on a Carbonio mount, but Im just curious... how easy is it to remove the plate? Does it have a quick release functionality or would removing the plate require disassembly of the whole mount?

TIA!
      06-19-2019, 10:29 AM   #99
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKMTTR View Post
I'm about to pull the trigger on a Carbonio mount, but Im just curious... how easy is it to remove the plate? Does it have a quick release functionality or would removing the plate require disassembly of the whole mount?

TIA!
To remove the plate you could remove the four screws holding the plate to the plate holder, but you would still have the plate holder on.

You can remove the front section from the rear section that connects to the honeycomb fairly easily though. It just isn't the easiest to connect back together because you are threading a piece from behind the honeycomb through the screwhole on a part that attaches to through the honeycomb.

So yeah, full disassemble of the mount.
Appreciate 1
DARKMTTR229.00
      06-19-2019, 11:16 AM   #100
Pilot-Z
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

So the one from eBay says that it doesn't fit M2C but it does? Tempted to give it a shot.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 12:02 PM   #101
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
To remove the plate you could remove the four screws holding the plate to the plate holder, but you would still have the plate holder on.

You can remove the front section from the rear section that connects to the honeycomb fairly easily though. It just isn't the easiest to connect back together because you are threading a piece from behind the honeycomb through the screwhole on a part that attaches to through the honeycomb.

So yeah, full disassemble of the mount.
I've done it a bunch of times now. Getting it off is a breeze (just one thumb screw and be careful to not let the part that goes through the honeycomb drop in), but it's a little easier to get back on if you have someone to hold onto it while you put the screw back in.

I've had to re-tighten the nuts the hold the plate mount where you want it a few times but overall this has been a great solution and I've had it for around 9 months now.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 07:04 PM   #102
jayvee619
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 HS M2C

I just installed the Carbonio Licensce Plate Mount a few weeks ago on my M2C. Installation was very easy, just take your time sliding the bracket in behind the honeycomb grille like previous posters had mentioned. Very happy how everything came out after installation.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 07:51 PM   #103
HazChem
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BSM M2C

Garage List
Agree with Carbonio. Only thing to be careful of is not hitting anything (bollard, etc) with front or the honeycomb grill will be toast.
Appreciate 1
DARKMTTR229.00
      06-19-2019, 07:56 PM   #104
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GTS 4.0

Garage List
I chose carbanio over the tow hook one because I like things to look symmetrical...the plate off to the side drives me nuts.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 08:08 PM   #105
gmazet
Captain
Rep
Drives: Broken 2020 M2C

no front plate for me. I've never put one on any of my sports cars. Used to get hassled all the time in my Camaro (white with orange stripes so drew the eyes). never pulled over in my vette, e92, e46.. though I did get a ticket while the e92 was parked in the train station.
Past: 2008 E92tt 6MT, 2001 E46 6MT 2009 Z06 1997 Camaro SS 6MT
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 08:12 PM   #106
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep

Really depends on not just the metro you live in, Gmazet, but also which suburbs you cross. Downtown PDX is a meter person nightmare, the suburb I work in the cops seek out missing front plates like lost donuts, but the suburb I live in the cops couldn't care less.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 09:58 PM   #107
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

I went no plate in VA, where that's usually a big deal. I don't street park much and figured so what if I get a ticket once in a while. 6 months in no issues so far. I like the clean look on this car much better.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 10:40 PM   #108
Bimmer28312
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW N55 335xi

I will never drill the front plate on don't care. In fact I drove my 17 M2 with no plates up until I sold her and not once did I have an issue and I live in Cali bay area
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 07:19 AM   #109
DARKMTTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 M2 Competition & '18 X1

Garage List
I appreciate the feedback guys. Seems a bit more cumbersome than I was hoping. Might just opt for the STO N SHO instead.
      06-20-2019, 09:14 AM   #110
DKM2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2

Ordered a CravenSpeed plate mount. Goes right in the tow hitch. Shouldn't hit the censor. Well hopefully it doesn't.
Appreciate 0