BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > CAE Short Shifter and returning to stock?

11-03-2021, 04:05 AM   #1
Thrillho
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp

Question CAE Short Shifter and returning to stock?

Hey, I’ve been considering purchasing a CAE short shifter but I would like to be able to return the car to stock if required. Installation requires cutting the centre console and cup holders.

I’ve managed to find a few replacements for the cup holder section of the centre console but I was wondering whether anyone could shed some light as to whether the gear shifter could be returned to stock without any damage to other parts of the car (installation, whilst requiring the above adjustments, apparently doesn’t involve drilling into the tunnel sheet)/what parts would need to be replaced to return the car to complete stock.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 03:01 PM   #2
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Why would you return it to stock? Most people prefer the short shifter so shouldn’t impact resale value.

There are others that don’t require cutting such as UCC. http://store.uucmotorwerks.com/ultim...-m2-p1832.aspx
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 05:59 PM   #3
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

I love my CAE shifter in my E46, but I think you can replicate the feel with the Autosolution short shift kit without having to cut anything for the F87. I don't feel like I'm missing out by going with AS compared to the CAE.

If you were local to me, I'd let you take my CS out for a spin around the block so you can see how much different the AS is. I went with just s 15% reduction and bronze bushing and it has felt golden.

Last edited by to_riffic; 11-03-2021 at 07:28 PM..
Appreciate 2
(K)1240.50
gphung193.50
      11-04-2021, 03:00 AM   #4
Thrillho
Registered
Rep

Thanks, both, really helpful!

I won’t ask too many questions about the AS SSK as I suspect there’s X amount of threads already with similar questions. That being said, I think I’ll have a wee look at both those options alongside the CAE - can always opt for either of those two if I decide I don’t want to cut into the cup holder.

To_riffic - is the AS shifter a fair bit shorter than the CAE shifter in your E46? How do you find the height differences? I quite like the height that the CAE shifter brings, but i can only go off photos of the two shifters to judge the height difference, so would be good to hear your thoughts!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 08:14 AM   #5
PHX102
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillho View Post
Thanks, both, really helpful!

I won’t ask too many questions about the AS SSK as I suspect there’s X amount of threads already with similar questions. That being said, I think I’ll have a wee look at both those options alongside the CAE - can always opt for either of those two if I decide I don’t want to cut into the cup holder.

To_riffic - is the AS shifter a fair bit shorter than the CAE shifter in your E46? How do you find the height differences? I quite like the height that the CAE shifter brings, but i can only go off photos of the two shifters to judge the height difference, so would be good to hear your thoughts!
AutoSolutions will build the shifter however you want, you can spec it taller if you like. They are in the process of changing locations so may have a little more lag time than usual, but are very responsive to emails, and seem happy to discuss their product if you have questions
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 11:20 AM   #6
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Yep, or just get a taller shift knob. I just love how it clicks into gears with the Autosolution ssk with their uprated bushings. Totally worth the wait.

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 12:24 PM   #7
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by to_riffic View Post
I love my CAE shifter in my E46, but I think you can replicate the feel with the Autosolution short shift kit without having to cut anything for the F87. I don't feel like I'm missing out by going with AS compared to the CAE.

If you were local to me, I'd let you take my CS out for a spin around the block so you can see how much different the AS is. I went with just s 15% reduction and bronze bushing and it has felt golden.
FWIW...
I find your impressions on the CAE vs AutoSolution very surprising.
I've had both on my E86 M Coupe.
I'd rate the AS as a good improvement over OE but not amazing, maybe a 10% improvement.

The CAE on the other hand is a dramatic game changer improvement.
My experiences are mainly track related and that's were the CAE really shines.
For example, with high speed downshifts (end of back straight) 5th to 4th;
With AS I was always hunting to catch the gate for 4th gear.
Had many lap times messed up with a shift to 6th by mistake.

With CAE I could just pull it back and the spring would gate it directly to 4th.
I no longer was thinking about it.

For street.... the CAE may be slightly overkill, but I would 100% choose it over AS.
The downside is the modifications required if you want a clean OE like center consol
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 02:33 PM   #8
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
FWIW...
I'd rate the AS as a good improvement over OE but not amazing, maybe a 10% improvement.

With CAE I could just pull it back and the spring would gate it directly to 4th.

For street.... the CAE may be slightly overkill, but I would 100% choose it over AS.
The downside is the modifications required if you want a clean OE like center consol
There are no good ssk options for the E46 platform. I had an AS kit on it and at 30% was too notchy. Swapped for the CAE and it's huge improvement. I even had a RTD in it, and was dissatisfied with it.

On the F87 platform, especially me having a CS, I don't intend to cut into my carbon center console and the AS ssk is more than a 10% improvement. Each gear feels firm when it pops in and I don't feel like I'm hunting for gears (by no means was stock like that either), but it feels exceptionally fun engaging into each gear. I'm sure the CAE would be great too, but I don't think it's that worth it for the F87 platform when the AS is leaps improvement over stock w/o having to cut or modify anything. And I've had a CAE in multiple cars where I didn't care about cupholders or trimming things to make it fit, but with a CS...no thanks..

Appreciate 1
inTgr8r2421.50
      11-04-2021, 03:43 PM   #9
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
FWIW...

On the F87 platform I never felt like I had to hunt to catch any gear going up or down at the track. It might be different on your E86 Coupe. On the F87 the spring would gate me to the 3/4 lane perfectly every shift. I've driven a few cars with the CAE and its a awesome shifter. My problem with it is it sits way to high for a street driven car (IMHO)
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 1
inTgr8r2421.50
      02-04-2022, 07:57 PM   #10
pt8o
Rep
Drives: M2C

Im surprised not many have tried the PSDesigns shifter, I think only another forum member has.

http://www.psdesignsglobal.com/_shop...-300mm-height/

Looks like a really solid chassis-mounted shifter similar to the CAE. I believe this would be a good middle ground for those wanting a solid shifting experience that you would get from a chasis-mounted shifter without having the cut your trim.

Mine arrives next week, so I'll make post to review once I've had some time with it
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2022, 02:29 PM   #11
ebisu8
Dom
United_States
Rep
Drives: Team Schirmer M2 GT

Yup, I had it on my car while I waited for my CAE to arrive. The PSD was fine but it's just not CAE. It doesn't come with a cover to block out the heat that comes up through the console. That was it's only downside.

CAE can be completely reversed without issues if needed as long as you have a spare cup holder to replace the one you cut up or heat up to bend. I cut my original but then bought a new one to heat/bend and it works better.
      10-23-2022, 02:16 PM   #12
ROBM2C
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C , DATSUN 260z, Porche

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebisu8 View Post
Yup, I had it on my car while I waited for my CAE to arrive. The PSD was fine but it's just not CAE. It doesn't come with a cover to block out the heat that comes up through the console. That was it's only downside.

CAE can be completely reversed without issues if needed as long as you have a spare cup holder to replace the one you cut up or heat up to bend. I cut my original but then bought a new one to heat/bend and it works better.

Im having a hard time finding the part # for the cup holder , you don’t still have it do you ?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2022, 02:32 PM   #13
Anonymoose
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBM2C View Post
Quote:

Im having a hard time finding the part # for the cup holder , you don’t still have it do you ?
What year? I have a spare one that fits the OG.
Appreciate 1
ROBM2C314.00
      10-23-2022, 06:07 PM   #14
ebisu8
Dom
United_States
Rep
Drives: Team Schirmer M2 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBM2C View Post
Quote:

This should be it, 51-16-6-993-607.
      10-23-2022, 06:27 PM   #15
ROBM2C
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C , DATSUN 260z, Porche

^^^ that's it ! Thanks duder !
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 03:55 PM   #16
Track/S
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C, M4 GTS

I do not plan to change my cup holder if one day I change to stock:

I also removed the stupid locking "system" for reverse gear

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2022, 04:53 PM   #17
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

wait, so you didn't have to cut anything?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2022, 11:54 PM   #18
Track/S
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooM2 View Post
wait, so you didn't have to cut anything?
I cut about 50mm, then I made 2 plastic caps and pressed them on, this way it looks oem.

Without removing the reverse system I needed to cut much more.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2022, 06:17 AM   #19
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodrive_X View Post
I cut about 50mm, then I made 2 plastic caps and pressed them on, this way it looks oem.

Without removing the reverse system I needed to cut much more.
well it looks great.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2022, 04:38 PM   #20
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Don't know why you would want to not the reverse lockout....If this was the case, you might as well have gone with the RTD shifter and forgo the CAE modifications entirely.

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2022, 06:32 PM   #21
Track/S
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by to_riffic View Post
Don't know why you would want to not the reverse lockout....If this was the case, you might as well have gone with the RTD shifter and forgo the CAE modifications entirely.
I didn't know the rtd brand, now looking at the pictures it seems like a better option, I didn't know that to mount CAE I had to cut half the car.... it's the first and last shifter I bought from them.

Reverse lockout is useless in bmw.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2022, 07:12 PM   #22
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodrive_X View Post
I didn't know the rtd brand, now looking at the pictures it seems like a better option, I didn't know that to mount CAE I had to cut half the car.... it's the first and last shifter I bought from them.

Reverse lockout is useless in bmw.
I mean I've changed gears quick enough from 3rd to 2nd on the track that I end up going into the reverse gear so it's the main reason to have the lockout.

Appreciate 1
MooMooM21790.50