BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > M-Performance hood replica?

09-30-2021, 11:51 AM   #1
echoshotz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

M-Performance hood replica?

Hey guys, been wanting to do the m-perf hood since I got my car, I think the power dome hood not being done to the M2 was a travesty.

However 5 grand is extremely unreasonable for the BMW branded hood. Has anyone found and installed a replica? Much like the Suvneer GTS hood, for roughly $1k? The GTS model hoods seem a bit over done and the CS hood only belongs on a CS (I think so at least). But I've had no luck finding a simple power dome hood like on the M3s of the past. Anyone had Aliexpress luck from a specific vendor?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 03:56 PM   #2
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Has anyone mentioned how useful the search function on Bimmerpost is? You can look for threads on the same or similar topics in this or any other sub-forums.

In the meantime, please have a look at this thread - last posted to on the 21st (and still on the first page):

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...highlight=hood

HTH

Last edited by M Fifty; 09-30-2021 at 04:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 07:35 PM   #3
echoshotz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Has anyone mentioned how useful the search function on Bimmerpost is? You can look for threads on the same or similar topics in this or any other sub-forums.

In the meantime, please have a look at this thread - last posted to on the 21st (and still on the first page):

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...highlight=hood

HTH
Wow, actually no one has mentioned that thanks for the insight.

That thread turned into a Suvneer GTS hood chat and I'm looking for something else. Thanks though.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 11:37 AM   #4
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Glad you found it helpful.

In the meantime, have a look at RW Carbon.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 11:56 PM   #5
WagonR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

So, there's this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...33376612%22%7D

Which seems to be a copy of the M Performance hood, and is aluminum, which would be a benefit. Lighter than the factory hood, plus lower cost than carbon fiber. How does it fit...who knows. I'm guessing being made of metal vs. fiberglass or CF would make fixing fitment issues easier to resolve?

As someone who really lusted over the M Performance hood originally, and who would have just painted the whole thing one color, I would give two words of warning.

First, the shape of the front/side edge of the dome as it goes around the perimeter is very "blocky" with a clear front edge, corner edges, and side edges. It's not round or fluid, it has sharp lines. To me it just doesn't flow well with the rest of the car, or at least the rest of the hood.

Second; look at the lines outside of the power dome on the F8X or E9X. The crease that starts around the corner of the headlight and sweeps back to the A pillar. That leaves a large, flat, space for the power dome. Now look at the F87 hood, the creases start closer to the corner of the grills and end up much further towards the middle of the hood. As such, the power dome feels forced in a tight space, and it doesn't have lines that match the smooth, flowing shape of the hood indents that it butts up to.
2008 E90 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 05:29 AM   #6
Jack@AUTOID
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, G42 M240i, F87 M2, E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by WagonR View Post
So, there's this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...33376612%22%7D

Which seems to be a copy of the M Performance hood, and is aluminum, which would be a benefit. Lighter than the factory hood, plus lower cost than carbon fiber. How does it fit...who knows. I'm guessing being made of metal vs. fiberglass or CF would make fixing fitment issues easier to resolve?

As someone who really lusted over the M Performance hood originally, and who would have just painted the whole thing one color, I would give two words of warning.

First, the shape of the front/side edge of the dome as it goes around the perimeter is very "blocky" with a clear front edge, corner edges, and side edges. It's not round or fluid, it has sharp lines. To me it just doesn't flow well with the rest of the car, or at least the rest of the hood.

Second; look at the lines outside of the power dome on the F8X or E9X. The crease that starts around the corner of the headlight and sweeps back to the A pillar. That leaves a large, flat, space for the power dome. Now look at the F87 hood, the creases start closer to the corner of the grills and end up much further towards the middle of the hood. As such, the power dome feels forced in a tight space, and it doesn't have lines that match the smooth, flowing shape of the hood indents that it butts up to.
Worth considering the CS hood on our store. Its great choice for those looking to upgrade their hood.

We don't have any experience with the M Perf. rep you linked.
Appreciate 0