10-24-2021, 06:17 PM   #1
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Big Turbo BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Hey guys, so I'm looking to potentially upgrade my adaptive pre LCI xenon headlights to OEM LCI retrofitted OSS Design LED headlights but had questions about the install. Since he has OEM LCI retrofitted headlights, doesn't that mean I still have to buy the Control Unit For Front Light Electronics, LED Daytime Running Light Modules, and LED headlight fans. Does anyone know if these are needed or if it's just plug and play ?

Thanks, Shane
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 04:34 AM   #2
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

I imagine this is going to be a seriously expensive project unless you've found a late model car with an intact front end in a Breakers. In which case - buy everything you might need in one go - and eBay it if you don't.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 10:28 AM   #3
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
I imagine this is going to be a seriously expensive project unless you've found a late model car with an intact front end in a Breakers. In which case - buy everything you might need in one go - and eBay it if you don't.
update: apparently I need new LCI modules and a coding cable which isn't being sold anymore so I don't think this will work unless I find one for sale or a coder
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 11:14 PM   #4
WagonR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I don't understand some of these conclusions, but the cost of retrofitting the LCI headlamps is pretty prohibitive. Plus it creates a potentially really big headache on the backend.

1) You don't need a whole front clip. You need the lamp assemblies and modules, but they physically fit the pre-LCI, so not sure why you'd want the front part of the car.

2) I don't know what this "coding" cable is, but the headlights never needed a special cable or anything that wasn't available or isn't currently available. That said, it's not just flipping some factory options ala BimmerCode or the like. It's updating modules in factory based software.

But, none of that is the issue, outside of cost. Just like replacing the cluster, or even the amp, the headlights have associated modules that are assigned to the car. You can tell the car that it has the new modules, but if a factory software fix is required, it expects the original modules.

If you ever need them to update anything software related on the, even for something completely unrelated, you have to have the original modules attached. Original amp gets fried and you want to replace it? BMW can't do it with your LCI headlamps installed. Etc.

How likely is it...I don't know, probably not highly, but you're really putting yourself in a corner if you swap out any of the "smart" parts in the car...
2008 E90 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 11:26 PM   #5
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WagonR View Post
I don't understand some of these conclusions, but the cost of retrofitting the LCI headlamps is pretty prohibitive. Plus it creates a potentially really big headache on the backend.

1) You don't need a whole front clip. You need the lamp assemblies and modules, but they physically fit the pre-LCI, so not sure why you'd want the front part of the car.

2) I don't know what this "coding" cable is, but the headlights never needed a special cable or anything that wasn't available or isn't currently available. That said, it's not just flipping some factory options ala BimmerCode or the like. It's updating modules in factory based software.

But, none of that is the issue, outside of cost. Just like replacing the cluster, or even the amp, the headlights have associated modules that are assigned to the car. You can tell the car that it has the new modules, but if a factory software fix is required, it expects the original modules.

If you ever need them to update anything software related on the, even for something completely unrelated, you have to have the original modules attached. Original amp gets fried and you want to replace it? BMW can't do it with your LCI headlamps installed. Etc.

How likely is it...I don't know, probably not highly, but you're really putting yourself in a corner if you swap out any of the "smart" parts in the car...
seems like your just trying to discourage me lol and don't understand what I want to do here. I said have pre-LCI and trying switch to retrofitted OSS Design OEM LCI headlights. the new modules can be switched into the pre-LCI M2s but needs coding, IND sold a whole retrofit kit explaining the process. it's either I do that or retrofit my current pre-LCI with an aftermarket company like OSS Designs where they install LEDs into the headlights. I only want the OEM LCI OSS Designs due to a more unique look but if I cannot find a way I will just retrofit my current set which will not need new modules and coding
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 12:17 AM   #6
WagonR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I guess I don't understand, fair. And really, I'm not trying to be dismissive; I have a pre-LCI and, I really wish I had the LCI headlights.

I was just warning you of the issue that many people didn't expect.

Any headlight that isn't the headlight that came with the car is going to create issues if you ever need the dealer to do anything that requires updating the software in an electrical module. That would be the case if you used an OEM LCI headlight, or if you bought a OSS Design OEM LCI headlight.

People replaced the amp and ran into the same issue. Go to the dealer and they're completely out of luck unless they still have the old amp handy to plug in so that the computer gives it the okay. I was just saying, hey, be aware of the issue. Some people really got screwed upgrading to the LCI cluster as well.

I think the LCI retrofit, even with all OEM parts, and the best coding in the world still presents risks. I will not speak for IND, but they don't advertise the kit for sale anymore.

If it's me, I'd have OSS do their mods to a pre-LCI headlight, swap that in with factory modules from your car and know I was never going to have an issue.
2008 E90 M3 6MT
Appreciate 1
shaneguags1166.50
      10-27-2021, 12:21 AM   #7
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
I guess I don't understand, fair. And really, I'm not trying to be dismissive; I have a pre-LCI and, I really wish I had the LCI headlights.

I was just warning you of the issue that many people didn't expect.

Any headlight that isn't the headlight that came with the car is going to create issues if you ever need the dealer to do anything that requires updating the software in an electrical module. That would be the case if you used an OEM LCI headlight, or if you bought a OSS Design OEM LCI headlight.

People replaced the amp and ran into the same issue. Go to the dealer and they're completely out of luck unless they still have the old amp handy to plug in so that the computer gives it the okay. I was just saying, hey, be aware of the issue. Some people really got screwed upgrading to the LCI cluster as well.

I think the LCI retrofit, even with all OEM parts, and the best coding in the world still presents risks. I will not speak for IND, but they don't advertise the kit for sale anymore.

If it's me, I'd have OSS do their mods to a pre-LCI headlight, swap that in with factory modules from your car and know I was never going to have an issue.
yea I think that is my plan since seeing all the cost and headaches I may run into. I might even just stick to the pre lci for now. I just finished up with all my performance mods, but wanted to do exterior and interior. I might just do rear LCI taillight and LCI gauge cluster and forget about the headlights to be honest.
Appreciate 1
WagonR293.00
      10-27-2021, 02:22 AM   #8
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Quote:

It was more that you are going to need extra electronic gubbins than just the headlights - as alluded to in the OP - and the cheapest way of getting all of that would be a car in a breakers with an intact front end that you could strip the bits you need from.

As you say otherwise, unless it's similar to seat swapping where provided you use the original seat modules the car has no problems as to what seat is actually fitted (so your airbags and SRS still work) and firmware updates don't require swapping parts.
Appreciate 1
WagonR293.00
      10-27-2021, 11:01 AM   #9
WagonR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
It was more that you are going to need extra electronic gubbins than just the headlights - as alluded to in the OP - and the cheapest way of getting all of that would be a car in a breakers with an intact front end that you could strip the bits you need from.

As you say otherwise, unless it's similar to seat swapping where provided you use the original seat modules the car has no problems as to what seat is actually fitted (so your airbags and SRS still work) and firmware updates don't require swapping parts.
I think I get what you're saying now. If you grab everything in one swoop from the breaker it could be cheaper. I guess my point was that the modules are all part of the headlamps, so unless the breaker, or any seller, goes through the effort of removing them from the headlamp to sell the parts separately, you're getting everything you need. For some reason I thought you were saying you'd be scouring for parts if you didn't get everything off a car at a breaker, and I was thinking, no, these sell complete all over the place.

It may be cheaper to buy a set of headlamps with modules from a breaker, it might be cheaper to buy them already taken off the car. That probably depends on the seller?

Just for reference.

Here's a diagram of the lamp and modules:

1 is the headlamp control unit
2 is the LED daytime module
3 is the fan

Here's a random headlamp for sale on ebay:

It has all of the modules attached.

Here's one where someone stripped the modules:

2008 E90 M3 6MT
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 11:14 AM   #10
WagonR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneguags View Post
yea I think that is my plan since seeing all the cost and headaches I may run into. I might even just stick to the pre lci for now. I just finished up with all my performance mods, but wanted to do exterior and interior. I might just do rear LCI taillight and LCI gauge cluster and forget about the headlights to be honest.
I'm sure you've read though this one, but I'd take another look at post 48 in this thread: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...dlights&page=3

Not trying to discourage, but I think the issue described there would be an issue for the cluster too. I can't find where I read it, but there were people who did the LCI cluster upgrade, had something else fail, and the dealer couldn't help because they needed to update the car's software and factory software didn't recognize the non-original part.

I think if you do the cluster, you can just keep your original one, and then in that case, would just need to plug the original cluster in and then the car would recognize it as the the original one, do the software update to fix the unrelated issue, then you'd just need to re-code the updated software for the LCI cluster.

No the biggest deal, just making sure you're aware. I think someone sold the original cluster, had an issue with something unrelated, and it created quite the headache to sort out.
2008 E90 M3 6MT
Appreciate 1
shaneguags1166.50
      10-27-2021, 08:20 PM   #11
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneguags View Post
I'm sure you've read though this one, but I'd take another look at post 48 in this thread: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...hts&page=3

Not trying to discourage, but I think the issue described there would be an issue for the cluster too. I can't find where I read it, but there were people who did the LCI cluster upgrade, had something else fail, and the dealer couldn't help because they needed to update the car's software and factory software didn't recognize the non-original part.

I think if you do the cluster, you can just keep your original one, and then in that case, would just need to plug the original cluster in and then the car would recognize it as the the original one, do the software update to fix the unrelated issue, then you'd just need to re-code the updated software for the LCI cluster.

No the biggest deal, just making sure you're aware. I think someone sold the original cluster, had an issue with something unrelated, and it created quite the headache to sort out.
for the cluster I heard it just needs to be 100% new and never installed. if used it's locked into a car's vin but new ones are ready for any new vin. it just needs coding afterwards with instructions
Appreciate 0