BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Just Scrapped the Bottom of the Front Bumper

12-24-2019, 09:03 PM   #1
tomtea
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Just Scrapped the Bottom of the Front Bumper

I've only owned the car a month, and I've already scraped the bottom of the bumper. There was an unusually low dip in the road, didn't notice, went over it too quickly and it sounded like I tore off my front bumper. Looked to see the damage and it's only a few inches of scrapage. Thank goodness I didn't get a lip yet!

Anyone else have a similar story?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 09:35 PM   #2
CountSmurfula
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 HS M2C

I had the M Performance lip installed and went on a road trip to Sacramento. I pulled in to a parking lot that didn’t even look that steep and heard the scraaaape sound. Lesson learned and now I approach inclines differently. Now that the first scrape is over, all of the subsequent ones don’t matter- so let’s enjoy our newly found freedom!
Appreciate 8
cptobvious2531.50
Tag18135.50
gnx759.50
smknjoe234.00
      12-24-2019, 10:52 PM   #3
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Do you suffer from the paralyzing effects of your car not being perfect? Do you fear not having full control of situations which might cause you to worry over frivolous things such as repetitive thoughts of getting rear ended at any moment? Do you park at the end of the lot to avoid getting door dings? Do you dread the thought of scraping the bottom of your front bumper on inclines and declines? Do you have anxiety, an awful gnawing feeling every time you relive a negative car moment? Are you constantly fatigued, it's the first thing you think of when waking up?

Than you might suffer from NCS (New Car Syndrome). You are not alone, it's a common disorder which affects the majority of F87 forum members. Although there is no cure for NCS it can be managed with the support of your fellow members. NCS left untreated can be debilitating, but by sharing your experiences with others, staying clear of talking politics, religion, and most importantly making time to go on exhilarating drives you can help yourself live a normal healthy life.

* If you or someone you know is in distress immediately drop everything and call the NCS Prevention Lifeline AKA Audi Customer Support, 1-800-822-2834. Tell them their cars suck for instant stress relief.
Appreciate 24
      12-25-2019, 10:50 AM   #4
Triple Seven
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i, 2020 M2C (sold)

Did a front scrape 2 days ago. "Oh well f' it" said to myself. Turns out it was just on the black plastic hanging down.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 11:08 AM   #5
tomtea
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountSmurfula View Post
I had the M Performance lip installed and went on a road trip to Sacramento. I pulled in to a parking lot that didn't even look that steep and heard the scraaaape sound. Lesson learned and now I approach inclines differently. Now that the first scrape is over, all of the subsequent ones don't matter- so let's enjoy our newly found freedom!
FREEDOM! maybe it's time to get a lip to hide the scrapes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Do you suffer from the paralyzing effects of your car not being perfect? Do you fear not having full control of situations which might cause you to worry over frivolous things such as repetitive thoughts of getting rear ended at any moment? Do you park at the end of the lot to avoid getting door dings? Do you dread the thought of scraping the bottom of your front bumper on inclines and declines? Do you have anxiety, an awful gnawing feeling every time you relive a negative car moment? Are you constantly fatigued, it's the first thing you think of when waking up?

Than you might suffer from NCS (New Car Syndrome). You are not alone, it's a common disorder which affects the majority of F87 forum members. Although there is no cure for NCS it can be managed with the support of your fellow members. NCS left untreated can be debilitating, but by sharing your experiences with others, staying clear of talking politics, religion, and most importantly making time to go on exhilarating drives you can help yourself live a normal healthy life.

* If you or someone you know is in distress immediately drop everything and call the NCS Prevention Lifeline AKA Audi Customer Support, 1-800-822-2834. Tell them their cars suck for instant stress relief.
ha, got a good laugh from this. thanks bud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Seven View Post
Did a front scrape 2 days ago. "Oh well f' it" said to myself. Turns out it was just on the black plastic hanging down.
lucky! the scrapes on mine are scored the actual painted bits. didn't come out unscathed.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 11:32 AM   #6
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:

As part of my therapy, my therapist had me key my M2 before I drove it out of the dealership.
Appreciate 2
Tag18135.50
Poochie9104.50
      12-25-2019, 11:37 AM   #7
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
As part of my therapy, my therapist had me key my M2 before I drove it out of the dealership.
This is a great exercise, but should only be performed on the rear quarter panel clear bra area. After all, we’re not animals.
Appreciate 1
Supernaut391.00
      12-25-2019, 11:45 AM   #8
rkmjr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 ,M & Exe Pkg, MT & MPE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtea View Post
I've only owned the car a month, and I've already scraped the bottom of the bumper. There was an unusually low dip in the road, didn't notice, went over it too quickly and it sounded like I tore off my front bumper. Looked to see the damage and it's only a few inches of scrapage. Thank goodness I didn't get a lip yet!

Been there, done that! 😏

Quote:

Hummmm, now I know what is is when I feel like that! NCS!! lol
      12-25-2019, 12:47 PM   #9
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by S55bruh View Post
Yep.

Been there. I normally drive a truck, and I have (now HAD) a habit of pulling up to curbs or sidewalks until my front wheels stopped. I made that mistake one time in the M2C. Scrapes on both left and right undersides of front bumper. Totally unnoticeable unless you look directly under the car. But I know it’s there. And that’s what’s killing me, lol.

I’m considering this product for when I go to sell it. If any member has installed these, what are your thoughts?

https://scrapearmor.com/collections/...m2-competition
I didn't want to drill any holes, so I just went with this: https://ind-distribution.com/product...-lip-protector
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 3
      12-25-2019, 01:03 PM   #10
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GTS 4.0

Garage List
Quote:

I suffer from NCS so badly that I keep her locked in my garage!
Appreciate 2
Tag18135.50
KevM2721.50
      12-25-2019, 01:08 PM   #11
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoracin View Post
I suffer from NCS so badly that I keep her locked in my garage!
Gotta learn to love her flaws too, or else the relationship will never reach it's full potential and ultimately die a slow death. See if your local zoo will let you keep her in their gorilla pen for a few weeks.
Appreciate 1
nomoracin758.00
      12-25-2019, 02:57 PM   #12
chiefsubjugator
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT LBB

Quote:

My '18 I curbed the passenger rear wheel on day 2.

Pulling out of the lot after I bought my '20, they warned me of a dip and I went slow but STILL scraped. Nothing visible unless you get underneath the car. Otherwise the '20 is still cherry at almost 2k miles. I like to think I learned my lesson but somehow I doubt it.
Appreciate 1
jefe2000738.00
      12-25-2019, 11:38 PM   #13
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

I really couldn't care less about scraping under the car
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 08:27 AM   #14
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Install a polyurethane front lip like the Lightweight version that is on my Comp...both aesthetically pleasing and high scratch resistant. It will take a shit load of abuse and won't break.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      12-26-2019, 09:02 AM   #15
tomtea
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
Install a polyurethane front lip like the Lightweight version that is on my Comp...both aesthetically pleasing and high scratch resistant. It will take a shit load of abuse and won't break.

I've been looking EVERYWHERE for a PU lip. what brand is yours?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 09:48 AM   #16
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
His is a Lightweight (as mentioned)

https://www.lightweight-titanauspuff...mw-m2-f87.html
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 11:40 AM   #17
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Seven View Post
Yeah this has happened to me twice already in the three or so months I’ve owned the car. Might be easier to scrape in this car than it was in my 350z, though both cars have plastic aero that hangs down and isn’t a big deal to scrape against.

What scares me in the m2c is the oil cooler.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 11:52 AM   #18
tomtea
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTBoss302 View Post
Quote:

ooooooooh that's the brand. ha, I thought he was describing that it was light. sorry

looks like they're only available euro
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 01:21 PM   #19
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTBoss302 View Post
Quote:

ooooooooh that's the brand. ha, I thought he was describing that it was light. sorry

looks like they're only available euro
You can buy them in USA. Search the sponsored classifieds section of this forum for distributors.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 02:45 PM   #20
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by S55bruh View Post
Yep.

Been there. I normally drive a truck, and I have (now HAD) a habit of pulling up to curbs or sidewalks until my front wheels stopped. I made that mistake one time in the M2C. Scrapes on both left and right undersides of front bumper. Totally unnoticeable unless you look directly under the car. But I know it’s there. And that’s what’s killing me, lol.

I’m considering this product for when I go to sell it. If any member has installed these, what are your thoughts?

https://scrapearmor.com/collections/...m2-competition
I have the scrape armor on my car, that's actually my car in those photos, I prototyped it. The benefit is that you can't really see it and if you scrape the car again in the same spot, the company will simply replace the pieces for free.
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...t=scrape+armor
I haven't scraped it on anything else yet so i can't say how good it is.
      12-27-2019, 10:31 AM   #21
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

I just did this. I didn't bother to check for damage. I know that part of the bumper scraped the curb, And the tip of the bumper, where the passenger side winglet connects, is touching the curb. Oh well. No pain a few beers can't fix lol.

Appreciate 2
      12-27-2019, 11:22 AM   #22
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
I just did this. I didn't bother to check for damage. I know that part of the bumper scraped the curb, And the tip of the bumper, where the passenger side winglet connects, is touching the curb. Oh well. No pain a few beers can't fix lol.

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]
Damn, you like living on the edge; I have to come out and average the distance of the curb before I park. #OCD

BTW, I love that Mineral Gray color, BSM is usually my jam but lately I'm beginning to regret my choice.
Appreciate 1