M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > MODE Exhaust Tip Issues

11-29-2021, 12:47 PM   #1
Pottah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 LBB M2C

MODE Exhaust Tip Issues

Anyone else having issues with discoloration on these MODE black chrome tips? I'll upload pics of mine when I can. Looks like the black finish is coming off particularly the inside of the tips. I reached out to MODE and they said:
We are really sorry to see you are having issues with the tips.

Form our experience this finishing issue can occur from one or all of the following scenarios;

- Sub Zero Climates (Snow, etc.)
- Salt used to prevent roads from freezing
- Acid based car/engine/wheel cleaning chemicals
- Immediately washing car/tips with cold water and very hot exhaust tips
- Excessive heat caused from extreme applications such as flame kits, etc.
Since the day I purchased the tips up until the time I noticed an issue and reached out to them it hadn't snowed or been below freezing so the roads were not treated and cold should not be an issue. I have not used anything but regular car soap outside of the wheels and do not have a flame kit so I can only think it's due to the car getting wet, or a defect/poor workmanship. I have explained they can't expect someone not to drive their car when there's chance of rain and if they know of this issue, which they do but I don't know for how long, they should at least disclose it on the item's page. They say they have only seen issues with people in the US and keep mentioning the cold weather but it's never reached below freezing. They claim their matte black ceramic coated tips do not have this issue but I prefer the black chrome look. Had I known about this issue I probably wouldn't have purchased them or gone with the matte black. They offered me the below:
- $50 Refund to cover local refinishing
or
- Upgrade to the Ceramic Coated version for 1/2 Price and keep your tips also
https://modeautoconcepts.com/product...7fc0a1ec&_ss=r
or
- Replacement Black Chrome Set for 1/2 Price with no new warranty and keep your tips also.
(Which means if finish fails again we can not cover it)
or
- Return tips (At your cost) and receive replacement Black Chrome Set FREE of charge with no new warranty.
or
- Return tips (At your cost) and receive replacement Matte Black Ceramic Coated Set for $100 with warranty.

A $50 refund to cover refinishing is laughable. I called my local reputable shop and they charge $75/tip and guaranteed they won't discolor since they do it right. If they actually think it only costs $50 to strip and refinish 4 tips then that explains why theirs are failing. Keeping the tips are useless to me unless I look to resell them, which is more of a hassle. Getting a free replacement is nice but I'd have to pay to send mine back and then I'm stuck back at square one with tips that will eventually fail and that's assuming they aren't damaged to begin with as I've seen others with that issue. I can "upgrade" to the ceramic tips but it's kind of ridiculous that I have to pay another $100 for tips that I'm told will be better off, although not the finish I was looking for, in addition to paying to send mine back. Plus currently those ceramic tips are being sold for $280 when I paid $270+$20 shipping and they are refusing to do an even swap. I even said I would (reluctantly) pay to send my tips back but they refuse to budge. Who else has had this issue? What was your experience with MODE customer support? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 12:56 PM   #2
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Any of these tips with the chrome type finish will have issues. Not that I'm defending $90 Alibaba tips you probably paid $300 for (yes, that's where they source them, ask me how I found out the hard way), but it's just going to happen.

The best thing you can do is this.
1. Apply heat-resistant ceramic coating.
2. Every time you're done driving the car, wipe the inside of the exhaust tip with a rag.

Doing these two things will go a LONG way, but they will still flake in the end. Every manufacturer that has ever made this type of finish has had these issues (BMW included).
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 05:56 PM   #3
Pottah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Any of these tips with the chrome type finish will have issues. Not that I'm defending $90 Alibaba tips you probably paid $300 for (yes, that's where they source them, ask me how I found out the hard way), but it's just going to happen.

The best thing you can do is this.
1. Apply heat-resistant ceramic coating.
2. Every time you're done driving the car, wipe the inside of the exhaust tip with a rag.

Doing these two things will go a LONG way, but they will still flake in the end. Every manufacturer that has ever made this type of finish has had these issues (BMW included).
You’re probably right. Just need to decide what avenue I should take when it comes to replacing these. Makes me wonder if I should purchase anything else from this company.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 06:18 PM   #4
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottah View Post
You’re probably right. Just need to decide what avenue I should take when it comes to replacing these. Makes me wonder if I should purchase anything else from this company.
I'd find the parent company that makes them on Alibaba and get them for pennies on the dollar.
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2021, 11:25 AM   #5
papa soey
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition HS, 6M

I had a similar issue with tips arriving with plating issues 2 months ago. I don't think Mode has done anything to improve the process. They make the same excuse every time knowing that the inconvenience will make you settle on a discount.
Attached Images

12-06-2021, 02:10 PM   #6
Pottah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa soey View Post
I had a similar issue with tips arriving with plating issues 2 months ago. I don't think Mode has done anything to improve the process. They make the same excuse every time knowing that the inconvenience will make you settle on a discount.
That's super frustrating. I don't recall any issues with finish when I got mine but I do recall mine had the logo on it when I choose the option for no logo. At least it was hidden when on the car. I ended up going with the option to pay $100 for the ceramic tips and returning the ones I have. I'm hoping to like the matte look and was *told* they will hold up well. What I should have done is look to see how much it is to return the old tips. I'll end up spending more out of pocket in the long run than if I went with the ceramic tips to begin with. If I don't like the finish I may put them up for sale and look for a cheaper option.

Actually, I just looked and they said they will send the new ones out when I provide tracking for the ones I'm returning so I'd have to go back to the puny OEM tips for however many days/weeks it takes to get the new tips. I'm debating just keeping them and asking for the $50 refund and either refinish them or sell at a huge loss and go another route. Assuming they let me change my mind...
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 02:38 PM   #7
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I think all the mode ones have the logo, just the "no logo" is somewhere that can't be seen while the logo ones it can be seen.

these are the ones I have

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203185400540

probably the same exactly as mode but no logo and about $100+ cheaper. They have been holding up pretty damn well but no winter yet so we will see.

I think kind of lame of MODE to sell something that will not hold through winter or inclement weather, its a car, it gets used outside so stuff that sits outside has to be durable. Imagine someone sold wheels that had bad finish and they started coming out and their excuse was, oh yeah you not suppose to use those in winter, here is $50. Also crazy that their tips arrive chipped and they offer you $50... what?

Those ceramic coated ones are WAYYYYYY too much money, $500? and they are kinda cheap looking too imo.
Appreciate 1
Pottah203.00
      12-06-2021, 02:48 PM   #8
Pottah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3awak3n View Post
I think all the mode ones have the logo, just the "no logo" is somewhere that can't be seen while the logo ones it can be seen.

these are the ones I have

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203185400540

probably the same exactly as mode but no logo and about $100+ cheaper. They have been holding up pretty damn well but no winter yet so we will see.

I think kind of lame of MODE to sell something that will not hold through winter or inclement weather, its a car, it gets used outside so stuff that sits outside has to be durable. Imagine someone sold wheels that had bad finish and they started coming out and their excuse was, oh yeah you not suppose to use those in winter, here is $50. Also crazy that their tips arrive chipped and they offer you $50... what?

Those ceramic coated ones are WAYYYYYY too much money, $500? and they are kinda cheap looking too imo.

Yup, my point exactly about the weather comment. However, they were shipped in April so they have not seen any winter weather and only noticed the issue recently so I ruled that out but got every other excuse as to why it would happen and was told they have zero issues in Australia. The price has gone down for the ceramic tips but I guess it depends on the quality to know whether they are worth it.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 06:06 PM   #9
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yup, my point exactly about the weather comment. However, they were shipped in April so they have not seen any winter weather and only noticed the issue recently so I ruled that out but got every other excuse as to why it would happen and was told they have zero issues in Australia. The price has gone down for the ceramic tips but I guess it depends on the quality to know whether they are worth it.
can you post a picture? I would love to see what it looks like. Black chrome is definitely hard to make look clean, specially on the exhaust so I kind of just live em like they are but I have not notice any weirdness or finishing coming out. Its been cold here for a few months too. I have had them for probably 3 months now, maybe even more.

But yeah, its Australia, since tips are constantly upside down they don't suffer from the same fate as tips on the other side of the world
Appreciate 1
Pottah203.00
      12-06-2021, 08:39 PM   #10
Pottah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
can you post a picture? I would love to see what it looks like. Black chrome is definitely hard to make look clean, specially on the exhaust so I kind of just live em like they are but I have not notice any weirdness or finishing coming out. Its been cold here for a few months too. I have had them for probably 3 months now, maybe even more.

But yeah, its Australia, since tips are constantly upside down they don't suffer from the same fate as tips on the other side of the world
Just took them off and cleaned them up to ship them back and even worse than what I could see while one the car, probably cause of shadows and/or the black reflection of the diffuser. Interestingly enough the inside tip on each side were the worst. Makes me think even more than before it’s due to heat. Maybe not constant heat but changes in heat possibly due to cold water as they say but that’s just ridiculous. I don’t use any abrasives on them and if that were the case all four would be bad.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 09:17 PM   #11
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Just took them off and cleaned them up to ship them back...
I hope you're not getting the same ones, as it's a waste of your time. It'll happen over and over.
Appreciate 1
Pottah203.00
      12-06-2021, 09:49 PM   #12
Pottah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I hope you're not getting the same ones, as it's a waste of your time. It'll happen over and over.
Agreed. Told them I want the ceramic coated tips that they claim have never had any issues with but now I’m on the fence. Not only cause of how bad these are but also since it’s not free. I’d have to pay to return these (looks like USPS is cheapest at $78) and then $100 towards the new tips. I reached back out to my local shop that said they could refinish them for $75/tip and he said he could go down to $50/tip. So if I get the ridiculously low $50 refund from MODE then I’m only out $150 out of pocket.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 03:34 AM   #13
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Golf

Should be able to find these at a fraction of the price on aliexpress!! Any returns from the US would be easier sent back to China too rather than Australia!!
Appreciate 1
Pottah203.00
      12-07-2021, 06:28 AM   #14
Pottah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWF87Melb View Post
Should be able to find these at a fraction of the price on aliexpress!! Any returns from the US would be easier sent back to China too rather than Australia!!
Yeah, you live you learn. Thought I would be better off going with a "reputable" company.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 09:44 AM   #15
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Yeah, you live you learn. Thought I would be better off going with a "reputable" company.
What's the mileage on these tips, roughly?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 09:46 AM   #16
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

wow that is really really bad.

I am about to go check mine from ali express but I don't think they look bad at all, the finishing is definitely not coming off. I don't use anything on them but whatever soap I put on the car. I usually wash the car in the morning so they are never really hot when water hits them. Still, I almost have a feeling that they are maybe a bad batch and maybe not the exact same as the ali express ones?

What kind of refinishing would you get if you went local? I dunno personally I would probably do that instead of sending these back to Australia. If something went wrong then you are local, with mode you will have to deal with shipping back to Australia everytime.

I think its kinda bogus that they want the tips back, I think pictures should suffice of how crappy their shit is.

edit - just looked at mine, they look fine. Mine probably have about 4-5k miles on them. I am betting you got a bad batch since you have had no winter through em (have you tracked it car?).

Last edited by MooMooM2; 12-07-2021 at 09:53 AM..
Appreciate 1
Pottah203.00
      12-07-2021, 04:43 PM   #17
Pottah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What's the mileage on these tips, roughly?
Right around 3k miles
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 04:50 PM   #18
Pottah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
wow that is really really bad.

I am about to go check mine from ali express but I don't think they look bad at all, the finishing is definitely not coming off. I don't use anything on them but whatever soap I put on the car. I usually wash the car in the morning so they are never really hot when water hits them. Still, I almost have a feeling that they are maybe a bad batch and maybe not the exact same as the ali express ones?

What kind of refinishing would you get if you went local? I dunno personally I would probably do that instead of sending these back to Australia. If something went wrong then you are local, with mode you will have to deal with shipping back to Australia everytime.

I think its kinda bogus that they want the tips back, I think pictures should suffice of how crappy their shit is.

edit - just looked at mine, they look fine. Mine probably have about 4-5k miles on them. I am betting you got a bad batch since you have had no winter through em (have you tracked it car?).

The local shop said they would powder coat them and never had any issues, although they specialize in wheels, but do tips as well. Not tracked at all. Sat mostly all summer as I was working from home. Maybe those two were a bad batch.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 05:48 PM   #19
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Right around 3k miles
That's terrible. I have about 3,000 miles on mine as well, and they look damn near new.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Pottah203.00
      12-07-2021, 09:19 PM   #20
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
That's terrible. I have about 3,000 miles on mine as well, and they look damn near new.
I about took a picture of mine today to post but they are filthy but the finishing is not coming out, its in perfect condition really.

And if the car has been sitting all summer it makes even less sense. Powder coat will last, its pretty strong.
Appreciate 1
Pottah203.00
      12-13-2021, 08:38 AM   #21
Pottah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I was definitely on the fence about spending more to get the ceramic tips as a replacement but thought maybe it'll be worth it if they are more durable. I went to get a quote to ship mine back but I found out it would be $90. The more I thought about it the more I realized it's messed up that I would have to spend almost another $200 on top of the $280 I spent to begin with (essentially $480 for ceramic tips) especially since I just can't trust their products. I gave them one more chance to fix this and prove they have decent customer service and they failed. I sent them the pics and showed that these were either defective or never cured properly. Explained (again) that I only had them for less than 7mo and 3k mi, never under extreme temperatures, and never used any harsh chemicals. It also really pisses me off they claim there are issues with these tips in cold weather but STILL doesn't mention this on their site and had I known that I wouldn't have purchased them to begin with or if they said the ceramic ones would be fine I would have purchased those. I asked them to kindly cancel the order for the ceramic tips and requested they at least split the cost of the refinishing ($100) but they simply responded with:

We are sorry to hear that you feel that way.

- Ceramic Matte Black Tips Order canceled and refunded in full.
- USD$50 refunded as offered.

They really should have offered the full amount to have the tips refinished because the $50 offer is a slap in the face. I was hoping they could at least meet me half way. They simply don't give a f*ck about their customers. Maybe if I were in Australia and shipping wasn't an issue it wouldn't have been a big deal but at the same time I really do worry about their quality and customer service.

I would not recommend MODE Auto Concepts to anyone.

There are tons of companies out there who actually stand behind their products and do what is necessary to make things right but unfortunately this is not one of them.
Appreciate 2
MooMooM21812.00
      12-13-2021, 11:28 AM   #22
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I think you are smart not giving them more money and I agree $50 is weak.

Its funny because if they said sure here is $100 so you can refinish the crappy tips we sold you, you would be happy and recommend them in the future, they don't realize that for $50 they are loosing way more on the long run.

They are not going to write on their website because no one is going to buy their tips then, $300 is too much money to take a gamble if the finishing would come off or not.

Hope the refinish turns out well (I am sure it will). I think thats the best course of auction since you already have the tips otherwise I would just tell you to get the ebay ones for $200.
Appreciate 1
Pottah203.00