BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > M2 Charge Pipe ??

06-03-2020, 12:50 AM   #133
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by squixs View Post
For what it's worth. I just saw this on the BM3 Facebook group. Looks like the updated CP BMW design.
Lol

Yeah it is the new design since you can see the lip on the flange area.

This is why I hate the factory plastic charge pipe, they're so fricken weak and proned to failure. The weird part is the TMAP sensor area is supposed to be reinforced for the sensor mounting and yet it still failed just like how the end of the PCV hose connection on the turbo intake pipe would fail.

Typical plastic pipes.

But overall good catch, this will show proof that the newly designed pipe is not 100% fail proof, and is not worth the price to buy new as an "upgrade" for the factory pipe instead of just opting for an aluminium pipe in the first place.
      06-14-2020, 01:30 PM   #134
tranck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpine White BMW M2

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Fwiw, my 2018 has 60K miles on it - 56.5K by me.

Almost every mile in the (sometimes) God awful heat of North and South Carolina.

I don't track the car nor drive it like a grandma and have the Dinan Stage 1 tune.

No problems with the stock CP.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 03:17 AM   #135
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Well, it finally happen, I got that blasphemous stock, plastic chargepipe to pop - racing a menstrual red, grocery-getter minivan, at 3am, none the less.. 🙃

Anyways, I like the Evolution Raceworks chargepipe but I think I'll let the dealer just replace it with the revised stock piece and get a free loaner car.

I would have to be a masochist to want to deal with replacing that piece, on a 90 degree day, when I can get someone else to do it..

If it pops again, then I'll certainly go aluminum with some headers heat wrap..
Attached Images

Last edited by Poochie; 07-14-2020 at 03:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 03:41 AM   #136
tranck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpine White BMW M2

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Well, it finally happen, I got that blasphemous stock, plastic chargepipe to pop - racing a menstrual red, grocery-getter minivan, at 3am, none the less.. 🙃

Anyways, I like the Evolution Raceworks chargepipe but I think I'll let the dealer just replace it with the revised stock piece and get a free loaner car.

I would have to be a masochist to want to deal with replacing that piece, on a 90 degree day, when I get someone else to do it..

Hey Pooch - I was with you ya know, I said that at like 60K miles, my stock CP was good and I wouldn't pre-emtively change it.

I asked my Indy shop - the owner said - 100% change it - saw too many blow.

So I did at 61K miles - $585 parts, labor out the door - went with VSRF - piece of mind I guess.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      07-14-2020, 03:49 AM   #137
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Well, it finally happen, I got that blasphemous stock, plastic chargepipe to pop - racing a menstrual red, grocery-getter minivan, at 3am, none the less.. ��

I would have to be a masochist to want to deal with replacing that piece, on a 90 degree day, when I get someone else to do it..

Lol the van description

If you do a metal cp, aluminium gold reflective tape is what you should use, because header wrap is more designed to keep heat in and there is a pretty big air gap around the pipe for insulation so I would be more worried about reflecting radiant heat. A better option could be what DEI sells to wrap intake pipes it is made of a thick insulating material with a heat reflective exterior.

Last edited by F87source; 07-14-2020 at 04:14 AM.. Reason: Correcting my really confusing writing.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      07-14-2020, 04:14 AM   #138
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranck View Post
Quote:

Hey Pooch - I was with you ya know, I said that at like 60K miles, my stock CP was good and I wouldn't pre-emtively change it.

I asked my Indy shop - the owner said - 100% change it - saw too many blow.

So I did at 61K miles - $585 parts, labor out the door - went with VSRF - piece of mind I guess.
Thanks and I know going aluminum is the smarter choice but if I could get the dealer to cover it, it would tremendously helpful right now. It's going to cost me like $400 for the pipe and another $200 to $300 to get it installed.

BMW recently revised the OEM pipe, with a slightly larger lip.. I'm curious to see how it holds up..

And beside, all the Indy shops around here are so bombarded with work now, they kind of give you the bum rush when you need something done. Like leave your car, we'll get to it when we get to it..

The dealer kisses your ass, gives you a new loaner car and gets it done to spec.

If it pops again, I'll get the ER piece. It looks pretty plus robust and then make the proper arrangements to have the right shop do it right.

So you guys can say I told you so but the original pipe did hold up to a lot, I guess that fresh, new Dinan air filter I put in today, really sent it into a peppy boast mode.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 04:31 AM   #139
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thanks and I know going aluminum is the smarter choice but if I could get the dealer to cover it, it would tremendously helpful right now. It's going to cost me like $400 for the pipe and another $200 to $300 to get it installed.

BMW recently revised the OEM pipe, with a slightly larger lip.. I'm curious to see how it holds up..

And beside, all the Indy shops around here are so bombarded with work now, they kind of give you the bum rush when you need something done. Like leave your car, we'll get to it when we get to it..

The dealer kisses your ass, gives you a new loaner car and gets it done to spec.

If it pops again, I'll get the ER piece. It looks pretty plus robust and then make the proper arrangements to have the right shop do it right.

So you guys can say I told you so but the original pipe did hold up to a lot, I guess that fresh, new Dinan air filter I put in today, really sent it into a peppy boast mode.
The new CP design as posted about a bit earlier in this thread doesn't fail the same way as before the tmap mounting point can break off, and I saw on FB you can get a hair line crack type of failure not a chunk blowing off of the flange.

Wait are dinan filters not washable?
Poochie9104.50
      07-14-2020, 04:47 AM   #140
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Quote:

The new CP design as posted about a bit earlier in this thread doesn't fail the same way as before the tmap mounting point can break off, and I saw on FB you can get a hair line crack type of failure not a chunk blowing off of the flange.

Wait are dinan filters not washable?
Yes, it is but I bought an extra filter to alternate, while one dries.. It was pretty dirty at 12,000 miles, so it something to revisited sooner than later, two is more efficient.

I believe the Dinan piggyback I have, pushed the pipe to pop sooner but whatever, it's kind of a relief that it happen now, so I kind of get it out the way..

It sucks that the revised version has its own inherent flaw but I'll roll the dice, for now..

I much rather this, than the S55 crank hub issue. This is just an inconvenience, in comparison to that of a anal probe, with a low viscosity lube.
Appreciate 1
F87source7251.50
      07-14-2020, 05:00 AM   #141
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yes, it is but I bought an extra filter to alternate, while one dries.. It was pretty dirty at 12,000 miles, so it something to revisited sooner than later, two is more efficient.

I believe the Dinan piggyback I have, pushed the pipe to pop sooner but whatever, it's kind of a relief that it happen now, so I kind of get it out the way..

It sucks that the revised version has its own inherent flaw but I'll roll the dice, for now..

I much rather this, than the S55 novel crank hub issue. This is just an inconvenience, in comparison to that of a anal probe, with a low viscosity lube.
I did not know that, are dinan filters oiled?

Oh yes charge pipe issues are a trillion times better than the S55 spun hub issue which would drive me insane. Because the charge pipe issue is easily fixed permanently for a really low cost compared to the spun hub issue which would cost alot to permanently fix.
tranck500.50
      07-16-2020, 12:53 PM   #142
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Well, it finally happen, I got that blasphemous stock, plastic chargepipe to pop - racing a menstrual red, grocery-getter minivan, at 3am, none the less..

who won the race though?

Also vrsf charge pipe is like 150 right now. However the cap for the meth bung came loose and was making some noise and probably some loss of power. I took it back to the place that did the install and they said the tightened it and put locktight on it. You get what you pay for?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 01:00 PM   #143
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

I just donated my OE charge pipe to the local BMW HPDE crew so they have one on hand b/c inevitably one blows at each track event.

Better than needing a tow or zip ties & tape to get home!
Appreciate 1
      07-16-2020, 01:25 PM   #144
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
who won the race though?

Also vrsf charge pipe is like 150 right now. However the cap for the meth bung came loose and was making some noise and probably some loss of power. I took it back to the place that did the install and they said the tightened it and put locktight on it. You get what you pay for?
He he he 😆

I was obviously winning, prior to the what felt like the gas pedal going dead but it was just an apparent loss of boost pressure.

What happens was, I was moseying down the highway and for some reason, I assume is because how the car sounds, no joke; everyone attempts to challenge you, by either riding your ass or constantly pacing your speed. I absolutely hate it!!

So this guy was on my bumper and so I just stepped on and passed him, at wide berth and every time he would try to get closer again, I speed up and pass him in an embarrassing distance, just to hopefully show him that his little engine that could, needs to fall back and literally or figuratively stay in his lane..

When I realized I was losing power, I got off the first exit, popped the hood and instantly saw the broken pipe and reflected back to this thread.

I have an appointment at the dealer tomorrow, I'll let them replace it, hopefully, under the warranty.

What really bugs be about the aftermarket pipes, is no main-stream manufactures products one. I wish a company like Dinan offered an aluminum pipe but for some strange reason, only some fringe companies products some, on the market. :

I know when a reputable manufacture puts their name on a product, it follows a certain of standards, in fit and finish.

Denzel said it best:

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 01:36 PM   #145
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
I just donated my OE charge pipe to the local BMW HPDE crew so they have one on hand b/c inevitably one blows at each track event.

Better than needing a tow or zip ties & tape to get home!
That's nice of you, they go for like $400 OEM, you could of sold it back on eBay for half that amount..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 06:47 PM   #146
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
He he he 😆

I was obviously winning, prior to the what felt like the gas pedal going dead but it was just an apparent loss of boost pressure.

What happens was, I was moseying down the highway and for some reason, I assume is because how the car sounds, no joke; everyone attempts to challenge you, by either riding your ass or constantly pacing your speed. I absolutely hate it!!

So this guy was on my bumper and so I just stepped on and passed him, at wide berth and every time he would try to get closer again, I speed up and pass him in an embarrassing distance, just to hopefully show him that his little engine that could, needs to fall back and literally or figuratively stay in his lane..

When I realized I was losing power, I got off the first exit, popped the hood and instantly saw the broken pipe and reflected back to this thread.

I have an appointment at the dealer tomorrow, I'll let them replace it, hopefully, under the warranty.

What really bugs be about the aftermarket pipes, is no main-stream manufactures products one. I wish a company like Dinan offered an aluminum pipe but for some strange reason, only some fringe companies products some, on the market. :

I know when a reputable manufacture puts their name on a product, it follows a certain of standards, in fit and finish.

Denzel said it best:

With the smaller engineering companies you'll usually see a few revisions since they rush these things to market to be first. By now, at least for charge pipes, none of them really have any issues. I wouldn't consider the vsrf meth plug an issue because I'm pretty sure the instructions tell you to tighten it if you're not going to use it. They're certainly not going to locktite it from the factory that would be a pain to remove.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 07:19 PM   #147
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
That's nice of you, they go for like $400 OEM, you could of sold it back on eBay for half that amount..
What goes around comes around.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      07-17-2020, 01:21 AM   #148
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
Quote:
He he he

Denzel said it best:

With the smaller engineering companies you'll usually see a few revisions since they rush these things to market to be first. By now, at least for charge pipes, none of them really have any issues. I wouldn't consider the vsrf meth plug an issue because I'm pretty sure the instructions tell you to tighten it if you're not going to use it. They're certainly not going to locktite it from the factory that would be a pain to remove.
Since I didn't install it myself I couldn't say if it was install error, design flaw, or defect.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 02:54 PM   #149
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
Since I didn't install it myself I couldn't say if it was install error, design flaw, or defect.
It's hard to say, that's something you're going to have to make a call on but even the plastic pipe, it's pretty intricate to R&R, so improper installation can certainly be the culprit.

That is why, when I can't do it myself and even if it cost more, I only use shops that stand by their work; humans make mistake, how they handle the errors of their way, makes a world of difference.

Anyways, I just dropped my car off to have the stock pipe replaced. I asked them if it's a common issue, they didn't even know what it was, so I had the service advisor write down the defect as "turbo pipe exploded."

I'll post a photo of the updated pipe (I hope), when they're are done, which they told me, might be awhile..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 04:43 PM   #150
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
It's hard to say, that's something you're going to have to make a call on but even the plastic pipe, it's pretty intricate to R&R, so improper installation can certainly be the culprit.

That is why, when I can't do it myself and even if it cost more, I only use shops that stand by their work; humans make mistake, how they handle the errors of their way, makes a world of difference.

Anyways, I just dropped my car off to have the stock pipe replaced. I asked them if it's a common issue, they didn't even know what it was, so I had the service adviser write down the defect as "turbo pipe exploded."

I'll post a photo of the updated pipe (I hope), when they're are done, which they told me, might be awhile..

Well hopefully you get that new version that's more stout.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      07-20-2020, 03:25 PM   #151
dasblack
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

My charge pipe broke on my stock 2016 m2 with only 24k miles yesterday.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 06:11 PM   #152
Poochie
United_States
Rep

So to update this thread; my charge pipe cracked from the TB, the dealer replaced it with a revised version and Geico paid the bill.

For the record, I left my Stage 1 Dinantronics piggyback installed but neither did my dealer nor did my insurance company care or gave me a hassle. 🤷🏻

Hopefully, the revised plastic pipe holds up, for the remaining duration of my ownership and I won't have to go aluminum.. 🤞🏼

Original cracked pipe on the top, new, enhanced pipe on the bottom.
Attached Images

Last edited by Poochie; 07-27-2020 at 06:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 08:03 PM   #153
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Maybe its just the pics, but the distance between the clip and the end of the pipe looks to be greater on the new version. Not really sure how that's even possible since it has to align with the slot on the TB and the original pipe was already pushed up against the TB lip.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 08:25 PM   #154
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Maybe its just the pics, but the distance between the clip and the end of the pipe looks to be greater on the new version. Not really sure how that's even possible since it has to align with the slot on the TB and the original pipe was already pushed up against the TB lip.
If you look at the new pipe, the lip that attaches to the throttle body is larger, it's covers more surface area but they also moved the position of the clip, further inwards, away from the TB.

So, I'm assuming this new piece would hold stronger, since that's usually where the older pipe usually snapped from, that area seems to be it's Achilles Heel's..

The length of arrow below illustrates the larger lip VS the original pipe with a thinner, almost non-existent lip.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0