BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > No TPMS required for MY18 F87??

03-09-2018, 09:28 AM   #1
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY18 X3 M40i, MY18 M3 ZCP

No TPMS required for MY18 F87??

Okay long story short, i am getting my wheel+tire package arriving early next week and i asked the guys working at the shop where i purchased to order the OEM TPMS as some aftermarket ones do not offer temp monitoring feature. They said they will order one from BMW directly.

I called the guy again today and asked if he got the parts available to be installed when wheels arrive, but they said BMW said that M18 M2 does not usual TPMS, but if offers internally built system that works as TPMS and it is there regardless whether i am changing my wheels to new or not.

I am bit confused as i have seen some posts selling and buying TPMS. Is LCI offers such feature??? Is it true that TPMS for MY18 is not necessary??
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 09:45 AM   #2
voyagergab
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 6MT, G01/F97 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by alscks0414 View Post
Okay long story short, i am getting my wheel+tire package arriving early next week and i asked the guys working at the shop where i purchased to order the OEM TPMS as some aftermarket ones do not offer temp monitoring feature. They said they will order one from BMW directly.

I called the guy again today and asked if he got the parts available to be installed when wheels arrive, but they said BMW said that M18 M2 does not usual TPMS, but if offers internally built system that works as TPMS and it is there regardless whether i am changing my wheels to new or not.

I am bit confused as i have seen some posts selling and buying TPMS. Is LCI offers such feature??? Is it true that TPMS for MY18 is not necessary??
That's correct in Canada we don't get tpms on the 2018 model. Not sure about prior years.

Both my car and the oem 640m winter set came without tpms sensors.

The idrive screen shows only the flat tire monitoring based on rotation speed.
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2018, 09:47 AM   #3
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep

Found some info on realoem.com

I believe the part# for pre LCI F87 TPMS is 36106856209. This number shows on pre LCI but along with housing but that number does not seems to be listed for LCI
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-09-2018, 09:48 AM   #4
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagergab View Post
Quote:

That's correct in Canada we don't get tpms on the 2018 model. Not sure about prior years.

Both my car and the oem 640m winter set came without tpms sensors.

The idrive screen shows only the flat tire monitoring based on rotation speed.
So does that mean even if i get TPMS iDrive version in Canada will not support it although they are in the wheels?? Wtf i did not know this at all
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 10:41 AM   #5
voyagergab
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 6MT, G01/F97 X3M

Quote:
So does that mean even if i get TPMS iDrive version in Canada will not support it although they are in the wheels?? Wtf i did not know this at all
I'm not exactly sure what are you asking?

AFAIK the Canada LCI cars don't expect the TMPS modules in the wheels.
I'm not sure if the "receiving" hardware is present, but if it is then the car likely can be coded to work with TMPS seasons and provide temp/psi readings. Then you'd need to add TMPS valves in both summer and winter rims.

I agree it is more convenient to have TPMS to monitor your tires. I had that in my '12 F10 and have them in our '18 G01 X3 M40i.
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2018, 11:42 AM   #6
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagergab View Post
Quote:
I'm not exactly sure what are you asking?

AFAIK the Canada LCI cars don't expect the TMPS modules in the wheels.
I'm not sure if the "receiving" hardware is present, but if it is then the car likely can be coded to work with TMPS seasons and provide temp/psi readings. Then you'd need to add TMPS valves in both summer and winter rims.

I agree it is more convenient to have TPMS to monitor your tires. I had that in my '12 F10 and have them in our '18 G01 X3 M40i.
Haha u answer the question that i had exactly. Thanks again. Yeah thinking that it would be better to have actual TPMS working but guess i will stick with no TPMS stock condition for now as i want to avoid any coding
Appreciate 1