BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Check wheel pressure after delivery!

10-17-2018, 12:19 PM   #1
///M Houbi
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
Hey guys and gals...

I took delivery of my M2C last friday. I had it delivered with 641M (winter) wheels and Michelin Pilot Alpin 4 tyres in 235-35-19 all around.

I asked the dealer if they set the pressure right, and naive as I am i believed it when he said yes of course we did. Tyres where set at 2.8 bar (stone cold). So they where around 3 bar warmed up...

Once i drove a bit i had a pretty weird feeling of the car. It felt a bit like on eggs, not so precise, not much grip. I blamed it on brand new winter tyres and 235 beeing rather small width for so much power.

After around 200km upside down on swiss mountains i decided to check out the highway just for very short distance. I was able to accelerate to roughly 70mph, but from that point it was not possible to accelerate any further. No matter if 4th, 5th or 6th gear, there was just no acceleration at all.

Soon i realised that DSC is blinking like hell everytime i just looked at gas pedal.....

Went off the highway and took a look at the tyre pressure chart myself. Aha! Cold they should be set at 2.5 bar and not 2.8 as my dealer did. So i removed 0.3 bar from each tyre, beeing alone in the car without any luggage.

Since then car has significantly more grip, feels more precise, dsc does not blink anymore (at all), and i can accelerate as i am expecting to be able to.

There where a few scary moments that first day, so check this yourself before you get it on the streets!

As often in live it seems you have to do everything yourself if you want it to work out
Attached Images

Last edited by ///M Houbi; 10-17-2018 at 12:31 PM..
Appreciate 4
cptobvious2531.50
akkando5863.00
StLuis51457.50
devo755.00
      10-17-2018, 02:59 PM   #2
dgm3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E36/E46 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Houbi View Post
Hey guys and gals...

I took delivery of my M2C last friday. I had it delivered with 641M (winter) wheels and Michelin Pilot Alpin 4 tyres in 235-35-19 all around.

I asked the dealer if they set the pressure right, and naive as I am i believed it when he said yes of course we did. Tyres where set at 2.8 bar (stone cold). So they where around 3 bar warmed up...

Once i drove a bit i had a pretty weird feeling of the car. It felt a bit like on eggs, not so precise, not much grip. I blamed it on brand new winter tyres and 235 beeing rather small width for so much power.

After around 200km upside down on swiss mountains i decided to check out the highway just for very short distance. I was able to accelerate to roughly 70mph, but from that point it was not possible to accelerate any further. No matter if 4th, 5th or 6th gear, there was just no acceleration at all.

Soon i realised that DSC is blinking like hell everytime i just looked at gas pedal.....

Went off the highway and took a look at the tyre pressure chart myself. Aha! Cold they should be set at 2.5 bar and not 2.8 as my dealer did. So i removed 0.3 bar from each tyre, beeing alone in the car without any luggage.

Since then car has significantly more grip, feels more precise, dsc does not blink anymore (at all), and i can accelerate as i am expecting to be able to.

There where a few scary moments that first day, so check this yourself before you get it on the streets!

As often in live it seems you have to do everything yourself if you want it to work out
Congrats on the new car !
I had the opportunity to test a demo car with the same winter set-up. No idea what the tire pressure was but I also found that the tires struggled with the power/torque of the car when pushing it a little bit. Granted temperature was close to 20 C and tires quite new but it was definitley more challenging than on my " low torque" M3 featuring 225 square winter.
By the way can please check in the manual owner whether chains are authorized with 235/35R19 rear. I believe it is to maintain the possibility to put chains that they had to reduce width of the 19 rear winter tires(18 are 255)
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 03:34 PM   #3
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

My summer tires were over-filled and not consistently when I got my car. When I leave the dealership on Saturday following the break-in service, I plan on checking the pressure in the parking lot before I leave.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 03:35 PM   #4
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Also, you got the silver 641's? All I could order was one pair of part numbers and I think they were black. Darn it.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 03:54 PM   #5
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
My summer tires were over-filled and not consistently when I got my car. When I leave the dealership on Saturday following the break-in service, I plan on checking the pressure in the parking lot before I leave.
Good idea, every time that I take my car in for service I tell them NOT to touch the custom tire pressure that I'm running on the car. Every time the car comes back with the pressure different on all four tires.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 04:05 PM   #6
///M Houbi
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Of course i forgot to mention that in my case also all tyres did not have same pressure. They day after i took care they where all exactly at the same and correct pressure...

All this is somewhat disappointing. Combine some bad luck and silly circumstances and something like this could even have a bad end....

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 08:33 PM   #7
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 19 AW M2C, 21 M340i

I'm not sure the conversion to bar but when I took delivery my tires were at max tire pressure, 50psi. The car felt terrible, I drive for about ~40km before I had to get gas and when I got gas I checked and realized it was 50, and brought it back down to 35. It was so, so much different afterwards! Mental note to always check from now on!
      10-17-2018, 11:32 PM   #8
///M Houbi
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenw View Post
I'm not sure the conversion to bar but when I took delivery my tires were at max tire pressure, 50psi. The car felt terrible, I drive for about ~40km before I had to get gas and when I got gas I checked and realized it was 50, and brought it back down to 35. It was so, so much different afterwards! Mental note to always check from now on!
50 psi is around around 3.4 bar and 35 psi is around 2.5 bar.

So this seems to happen more often than i thought. Very dangerous
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 12:30 AM   #9
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 19 AW M2C, 21 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Houbi View Post
50 psi is around around 3.4 bar and 35 psi is around 2.5 bar.

So this seems to happen more often than i thought. Very dangerous
Very dangerous indeed, max tire pressures really mess up the amount of grip you have.
      10-18-2018, 02:21 AM   #10
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Ah, yes, nothing like the competence of the average car dealership. Cannot even get a step right they should be performing on every single car they receive.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 03:11 AM   #11
gnx
Όλα ρόδες
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Ok, you got your car already with 2NH? Good for you!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 03:56 AM   #12
///M Houbi
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnx View Post
Ok, you got your car already with 2NH? Good for you!
Indeed, for quite a while it looked like it won't work out... (despite having ordered the thing on first of june...)

Currently rumors around that 2NH will never ever be available again for the german market.
Appreciate 0