BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > THOR tweaked GTS transmission coding for N55 M2 review thread

08-26-2020, 11:15 PM   #89
Dec540
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeav View Post
Looks like they already support the 7-Speed DCT... send them a message asking if they have support for the N55 M2... don't see it listed on their website but maybe it's coming down the pipeline.
They told me yesterday it's coming within the next 2 weeks.

Mind you, they also told me a month ago it was coming within 2 weeks, so...
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 11:52 PM   #90
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BRG G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dec540 View Post

That'll be awesome. xHP is known for their flashes... will be very interesting to see how well it works!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 12:45 AM   #91
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Just in case anyone needs to know, my car has been running flawlessly post install of Thor software.

Being aware that it's always the negativity that gets posted, I'm curious how many happy customers out there. Please do share.

Lastly, I'm not comfortable how Thor does not stand behind their products. Given all the issues reported and not getting support, I personally do not recommend Thor product to anyone until things change.
      08-27-2020, 07:00 AM   #92
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BRG G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Just in case anyone needs to know, my car has been running flawlessly post install of Thor software.

Being aware that it's always the negativity that gets posted, I'm curious how many happy customers out there. Please do share.

Lastly, I'm not comfortable how Thor does not stand behind their products. Given all the issues reported and not getting support, I personally do not recommend Thor product to anyone until things change.
Mimicking the same sentiment. The lack of support makes me feel quite uneasy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dec540 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeav View Post
Looks like they already support the 7-Speed DCT... send them a message asking if they have support for the N55 M2... don't see it listed on their website but maybe it's coming down the pipeline.

Hmm.... got two different responses from xHP. One saying it's supported, the other saying it's "soon". I've sent an email to verify lol.

EDIT: Confirmed. Just like you said, 2 weeks out!
Attached Images

Last edited by Endeav; 08-28-2020 at 09:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 08:59 AM   #93
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

It was a total PITA to get a proper connection to my car, but once I did the flash was quick and the results are excellent. Much happier than the stock DCT programming. Shifting is more preemptive and faster, while being less abrupt and I actually enjoy Sport+ now.

Regarding xhp, they may support the M2 just like all the other GTS flashes out there, but may suffer the same issues with too fast up shift and weird shifting in general. This is bc the M2 DCT doesn’t have all the same sensors on it as the M2C/3/4 DCT.

As far as I know THOR is the only flash that works correctly for the OG M2’s DCT.

Sidenote: When I did two days on the Ring with BMW in an M2, our instructor who said he had probably 100k Ring laps from being one of the old BMW Taxi drivers and now helps with development in all the camo’ed cars you see, said one of the sensors missing is when the car goes airborne over a bump or hill. He said the M2 won’t respond to the sudden acceleration if you keep your foot down and you have to old school style come off the gas and reapply smoothly when landing—which, I’ve noticed on one of my local tracks.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 12:40 PM   #94
larry.beck
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post

I've also had no issues since flashing. I don't flash wirelessly in my car, and that seems to be a common cause of issues in this thread. I love the DCT tune and clutch plate pressure adjustment on my LCI.

I haven't had to try to contact THOR so I can't comment on that aspect, but am disappointed to see so many reporting issues on a product that I've recommended to friends.
      09-05-2020, 04:39 AM   #95
Steveo
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

I’ve got a couple of questions for folks using this,
Could you not just use the GTS TCU flashing by Esys if use the manual paddles all the time instead of paying $?
Also do you know if this app resets the adaptations on the DCT to make the shifts appear more zippy?
The DCT has had time to adapt using the old software and will always get more lethargic in shifting if you ride about town and not on the track all the time.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 11:00 PM   #96
BallHog5873
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Manual, 2016 328D Wagon

I know we tend to come here only when stuff goes wrong with products, and since I have had a bad time with THOR and complained about the product and support ( justifiably ) here on this site I thought I would give an update and some good news ( and bad lol )

I figured out why the hardwire connection using my Android device wouldn't take. The Ethernet setting has be turned off before setting it up...toggle off Ethernet, put in the settings for the connection, hit save, and then turn ethernet back on and open THOR app.
I was finally able to flash GTS setting for DCT after numerous failed attempts using the WIFI dongle. This confirms for me that the WIFI connection is the source of many problems with this product.

I will say I am very happy with the GTS DCT setting. Trying to flash it with the WIFI dongle failed every time, so this was good news when it went through easily with the hard wired connection last night. I've taken a couple drives and can say that its great, it retains the smoothness of the CS setting, but feels more aggressive and gave me back my burbles which I had lost in the CS setting. Car feels super eager and fun to drive.

So tonight I thought I would try the DYNAMICS package again. I was never able to successfully flash this over the summer with the WIFI dongle. Failed every time and I was lucky to be able to flash back to SERIES. At that point I had given up, but with the new wired connection working on the DCT flash I figured I would give it another shot tonight.
No luck. Connection is not the problem, using same connection as last night, car successfully connects to app. I started with the M2C package and it wouldn't start, tried again...same, tried GTS...same. Each time just as it was starting the flash I got this error and had to abort......

Anyone come across this while trying to flash? I suppose I will send to Thor support but am not expecting much at this point considering their track record.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 01:49 AM   #97
K_C_
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallHog5873 View Post
I know we tend to come here only when stuff goes wrong with products, and since I have had a bad time with THOR and complained about the product and support ( justifiably ) here on this site I thought I would give an update and some good news ( and bad lol )

I figured out why the hardwire connection using my Android device wouldn't take. The Ethernet setting has be turned off before setting it up...toggle off Ethernet, put in the settings for the connection, hit save, and then turn ethernet back on and open THOR app.
I was finally able to flash GTS setting for DCT after numerous failed attempts using the WIFI dongle. This confirms for me that the WIFI connection is the source of many problems with this product.

I will say I am very happy with the GTS DCT setting. Trying to flash it with the WIFI dongle failed every time, so this was good news when it went through easily with the hard wired connection last night. I've taken a couple drives and can say that its great, it retains the smoothness of the CS setting, but feels more aggressive and gave me back my burbles which I had lost in the CS setting. Car feels super eager and fun to drive.

So tonight I thought I would try the DYNAMICS package again. I was never able to successfully flash this over the summer with the WIFI dongle. Failed every time and I was lucky to be able to flash back to SERIES. At that point I had given up, but with the new wired connection working on the DCT flash I figured I would give it another shot tonight.
No luck. Connection is not the problem, using same connection as last night, car successfully connects to app. I started with the M2C package and it wouldn't start, tried again...same, tried GTS...same. Each time just as it was starting the flash I got this error and had to abort......

Anyone come across this while trying to flash? I suppose I will send to Thor support but am not expecting much at this point considering their track record.
Nice to hear you got the Dynamic Package flashed!! Hope you can sort out the DCT package soon!!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 08:47 AM   #98
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Had an M2 buddy of mine drive my car last night and he loved the THOR DCT tuning.
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2020, 09:16 AM   #99
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Had an M2 buddy of mine drive my car last night and he loved the THOR DCT tuning.
Shame then that Thor seem to have gone off the grid.

Tried 3 times to contact - had sweet FA by way of responses....

XHP DCT tune just out looks like it has more options and is more customisable...

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 09:25 AM   #100
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post

XHP DCT tune just out looks like it has more options and is more customisable...
I still haven’t seen that the xhp DCT tune works correctly with the OG M2 DCT—it’s different than the M2C/M3/M4 DCT.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 09:30 AM   #101
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Quote:

I still haven't seen that the xhp DCT tune works correctly with the OG M2 DCT—it's different than the M2C/M3/M4 DCT.
ZM2

These 2 fellas seem to rate it a BSM OG M2

BP

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 09:45 AM   #102
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
ZM2

BP
Don’t have time to watch at the moment, but are these guys rating it good just like all the other guys did with the previous M2 GTS DCT flash that actually sucked?

Not being snarky, serious question. Did any of the OG M2 XHP reviewers mention the shortcomings of the previous GTS DCT flashes out there and that this is better?

We need to get a dedicated XHP DCT tune thread going for Q&A like this.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 02:41 AM   #103
Duke Silver
Private
Rep
Drives: '17 MG M2

Quote:
Quote:
ZM2

BP
Don't have time to watch at the moment, but are these guys rating it good just like all the other guys did with the previous M2 GTS DCT flash that actually sucked?

Not being snarky, serious question. Did any of the OG M2 XHP reviewers mention the shortcomings of the previous GTS DCT flashes out there and that this is better?

We need to get a dedicated XHP DCT tune thread going for Q&A like this.
Funnily enough the owner did mention the short comings of the BM3 GTS DCT tune and how it was always trying to go to the highest gear as quick as possible. Looks like the stage three needs to be customised to use manufacturer shift points as the stock map is way too aggressive in auto mode.
Appreciate 1
ZM22810.50
      09-27-2020, 08:08 PM   #104
JKen_0115
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017_M2

Hey, I want to share my feedback for both DCT and Dynamic packages. It's totally worth and works great with OG N55 M2. I haven't got any fault code yet.

To be honest I have been super skeptical of monitoring the thread since there was a member reported "Non-Response" from THOR. Anyway I tried both last night, it took 5:28 for DCT flash and 5:04 for Dynamic PKG flash via wired connection as other member recommended(In Apple IOS environment). I used to run BM3 GTS DCT, I really like THOR GTS DCT because it shits quicker than BM3 and more fit in OG M2 in the manual mode. For the dynamic package, I went with M2C map and it's awesome because the steering wheel is lighting and MDM mode is super. Anyway, I really appreciate a lot of great reviews from other members like Sean, Zack(ZM2), Endeav and others members.

Luckily I didn't need to deal with the connection issue or others, it just went very smooth for my case. $299 is one of great mods for OG M2.

Thanks,
Appreciate 1
ZM22810.50
      09-27-2020, 09:49 PM   #105
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

I had my local shop do the BM3 tuning which suffers from the issues in comfort mode mentioned here before.
If I wanted to get this option, would I need to reset the BM3? Or would I just go about using my phone and connector all by myself?
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 08:34 PM   #106
Dec540
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
Funnily enough the owner did mention the short comings of the BM3 GTS DCT tune and how it was always trying to go to the highest gear as quick as possible. Looks like the stage three needs to be customised to use manufacturer shift points as the stock map is way too aggressive in auto mode.
Hi guys,

As you said we probably should have a separate thread for XHP. That video is of my car and I'm the one driving.

I've had XHP on the car for a week and a bit now. I'll summarise my broad feedback on both the GTS and XHP (so far). However whilst I'm an enthusiast I'm probably not as particular or attentive as some.

GTS Tune
I put the GTS tune on as soon as I put BM3 on about 2 years ago, so I can't remember much of the original gearbox tune. What I recall is that the GTS tune always tried to shift up as early as possible in comparison to the original tune that held gears for longer.

The GTS tune also doesn't change at all based on driving mode. The speed of shifts, downshifts etc. were the same regardess of comfort, sport, sport plus, 'traction' mode and DSC off.

With the GTS tune I primarily drove in manual mode so I really liked that I got the quick shift speed regardless of mode. I'm also not a big fan of burbles but like them on occassion. So I'd primarily drive in comfort (i.e. no burbles) and then reserved the sports mode for when I wanted to turn off DSC or have burbles.

The GTS tune was terrible for launch control once I went above OTS stage 1. It just launched too aggressively and resulted in too much wheelspin.

Otherwise I loved the GTS tune. Shifts were nice any punchy and I didn't mind the sedate automatic mode because on the odd occassion when I'd use it I wanted these early shifts anyway.

XHP
I primarily got XHP for the launch control customisation. I had no problems other than this with the GTS tune, but as I'm now running full E85 it was just way too aggressive for the power.

I dislike how XHP changes the character of manual downshifts and upshifts based on driving modes. Per what I said above re burbles, I don't always want to have to select sports mode to have a nice downshift. Apparently XHP are looking into this.

Comfort mode (manual)
Downshifts with no throttle are mega slow. I'm talking 1+ second from click to shift. It doesn't blip the throttle, it just slips the clutch with a small amount of throttle input to rev match, when it eventually shifts. It's way too sedate for me.

Comfort mode (automatic)
It's similar to the GTS in that it's always trying to select the highest gear. Shifts are much smoother though. I didn't think you could get any smoother than the GTS tune but they are. I personally didn't mind the mechanical feeling of the GTS shifts though, so some may like this and others won't. It can probably be dialed up with torque punch etc.

Sport modes / DSC off are good with XHP. Sport automatic is nice and the gearbox is pretty intuative with shift points and holding gears, though I still preference selecting my own gears when I'm pushing on. They are bloody quick and smooth shifts though and it's nice to be able to dial in the torque punch etc. that you want.

Launch control is a thousand times better with the ability to select lower RPMs. I'm still playing around with settings to figure out what will give me the smoothest and fastest launch but it's much better than the stock launch control which just goes full send.

I hope that answers some questions. Feel free to let me know if you guys have any other specific questions.

In terms of recommendations, I think based on cost etc. that I'd probably only recommend XHP to those that are at least stage 2 or above. Any less than that and I really don't think it's worth the cost IMO - just because of how good our gearboxes are from factory.
Appreciate 1
ZM22810.50
      09-30-2020, 01:18 AM   #107
MidnightM2
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI

Guys no issues my way using MHD OBD dongle
Phone in flight mode, CarPlay off in settings, wireless on & connected to MHD. Open Thor and flash desired options.Also very quick to flash. Using iPhone XR.

Current setup which I'm really liking:

Steering: GTS
DCT: GTS
MDiff: M2Comp
MDM: CS

Allows a little bit of play at the back and enables full acceleration out of corners- previously you could feel the car holding back power.

This coupled with MSS suspension+ great alignment is a great feeling car.

M2 OG LCI
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 04:42 AM   #108
dtmurf
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
1996 BMW 318is  [4.75]
2012 Audi Q5  [4.50]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
I see where Thor issued a new update/map...are there still support issue or are they responding to customers with issues?
      11-07-2020, 06:53 AM   #109
MikeF87LCI
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
How are you guys getting Thor to work via Enet cable? I have enet to lightning setup for iOS but cant seem to get it to recognise the connection
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 07:34 PM   #110
BallHog5873
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Manual, 2016 328D Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF87LCI View Post
How are you guys getting Thor to work via Enet cable? I have enet to lightning setup for iOS but cant seem to get it to recognise the connection
not sure if its similar, but i was having same problem on android and i finally figured it out.....

The Ethernet setting has be turned off before setting it up...toggle off Ethernet, put in the settings for the connection, hit save, and then turn ethernet back on and open THOR app.
Appreciate 0