BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Factory EDC Retrofit Success

09-23-2023, 11:00 AM   #1
Aeko
Private
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C, 01 M5

Factory EDC Retrofit Success

I have completed the retrofit of the 2VF / M-adaptive suspension on my 2020 M2 Competition!

....Mostly! I'm still waiting on the actual dampers to arrive but I used some EDC delete load resistors as a stand-in to get the system working in the meantime, and there are a few minor coding things I haven't figured out.

Current issues:
ZGW Initialization code hangs around even after initializing car

Honestly this retrofit was not too terrible to figure out. This is my first time working on an F chassis and I had to figure out a lot of stuff the hard way. Such as... the ICM is still capable of triggering the airbags even if the car is "off", you MUST disconnect the battery to replace the ICM.

HUGE shoutout to david51 for helping me with some of the coding gremlins.

How I performed the retrofit:

Software used:

ISTA+ 4.39
E-sys 3.30
Tool32
PsDZdata 4.43.21

Hardware:

VDC Module + Connector (I used one from a 2015 M4)
ICM Module (Optional maybe? I used one from an M240i)
Center console operating unit (buttons) [ 61317850481 ]
4x Accelerometers [ 37156871465 ]
4x 3-pol TE MQS connectors for the accelerometers [ 1-967642-1 ]
4x 2-pol TE MQS connectors for the dampers [ 284703-1 ]
Contacts for MQS connectors, 18 AWG [ 5-965906-1 ]
Contacts for MQS connectors, 22 AWG [ 5-962885-1 ]
Wire seals for MQS contacts 18-24 AWG [ 1-967067-1 ]
Lots of wire

General guide:

Unfortunately I don't have time to write up a full step by step but here are the tasks I had to accomplish in order to get the system working:
  • Created wiring harness - used ISTA EDC SSP diagram
  • Coded the "Typschlussel" for an M2 CS to the car, e.g. 1J31, 1J33
  • FA/VO Coded 2VF, apply coding to Kombi, ICM, DSC, and HU
  • CAFD injection on EDC module (also CAFD injected and flashed ICM)
  • Opened port 0x02 in Tool32
  • Connected EDC Flexray to FEM A173*8B pins 29 and 30. Created a jumper for 11,12, and 21,22 (see picture below)

I will update this post with any edits or additional information as needed. I will try to answer any questions and elaborate.

Disclaimer: This is for informational purposes and I cannot help you with any issues with your car that may arise as a result.

Last edited by Aeko; 09-24-2023 at 01:43 AM..
Appreciate 4
(K)1240.50
MR RIZK756.50
chris7197273.00
      09-23-2023, 11:02 AM   #2
Aeko
Private
Rep

Technical information related to the project, in case it helps anyone:

BMW Flexray Bus implementation

The FEM typically has 4 "ports" which are tied to 8 sets of pins, or as I'd call it, 8 inputs.

Flexray SSP from an F82:

The Flexray "ports" are labeled FR_B(P/M)_#, where # would be the port identifier in Tool32, e.g. 0x0#. As you can see on the diagram every port is a set of two inputs, except port 0, which is internally terminated.

What does that mean? Every end of the Flexray bus must be terminated with a resistor, as indicated by the rectangle connecting across the pins of each input, left. All ECU modules are internally terminated so that the pairs on each port can send the signals without open wires causing the communication to actually reflect back on the wire and cause interruption.

If the port does not have two ECUs connected to it, one on each input, then a loop must be added as shown on the right.

If the loop is NOT added, you will see an error such as the following:

E6841F - EDC: Flexray: Line Fault

This is because the missing termination causes a lack of signal fidelity, much like trying to watch a video in 240p vs 4k.

Flexray ports in software

As far as the car's software is concerned, it does not particularly matter which ports you are trying to retrofit modules to, so long as the connection is terminated correctly, you only have two devices on a port, and the ports are open.

However, to enable communication on a port, Tool32 must be used. You can get the status of the ports by running the job status_flexray_pfad on ZGW_01. The ZGW resides inside the FEM module on F chassis cars. EIN indicates "open", AUS indicates "closed." If the port is not open you will not see communication to the module you are trying to retrofit. If you open a port and the retrofit's option is not written to the car's VO, you will receive a ZGW Flexray Initialization error. If you attempt to run the intialization in ISTA, the ZGW will simply re-close the port, the error will go away, and you will not be able to communicate with the module.

If the module is correctly wired and terminated (e.g. with a loop if it is a completely open port such as 29&30 on some cars, and looped with 11&12 to 21&22) then you can run steuern_flexray_pfad with the correct arguments to open that specific port. To open port 0x03, for instance, you run steuern_flexray_pfad and in the arguments box you enter "0x03; 0x01" where the format is port; open. 0x01 for open, 0x00 for close. Then hit F5 to run the job. Once you have opened the port you will need to run steuern_reset_learn_flexray in order to have the ZGW relearn what devices are connected via flexray.

One error I'm still trying to figure out is, even after writing the updated VCM to the car and performing the flexray reset learn in Tool32, running the ZGW initialization seems to have no effect. It resets, but does not close the port because the VCM is updated, but the error does not go away.

For example, the following errors indicate the car's FA coding shows that it is expecting the ICM to communicate with the VDC module, but there is no communication over Flexray. This is due to closed ports on the FEM.

D016F2 - Check control display, driving dynamics, receiver ICM, transmitter EDC
D0193C - predefined damper passive component, receiver ICM, transmitter EDC

Investigating these errors in ISTA brings up a guide for troubleshooting "no message" which is likely indicative of a port issue.

Last edited by Aeko; 09-23-2023 at 12:19 PM..
Appreciate 2
(K)1240.50
chris7197273.00
      09-23-2023, 03:38 PM   #3
fourthchirpin
Private
Rep
Drives: M2C, VW GTI 3.6, Infiniti G25x

I was just about to make a post about this. I just bought the KW DDC kit but I rather integrate into stock wiring/system if its possible

you have photos of the hardware needed?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 04:34 PM   #4
Aeko
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthchirpin View Post
I was just about to make a post about this. I just bought the KW DDC kit but I rather integrate into stock wiring/system if its possible

you have photos of the hardware needed?
That's exactly my plan as well, however I'm still waiting to hear if the DDC ECU struts are compatible with the factory EDC system. I'm sure you saw, KW lists the same kit for the F87 Comp and CS as the DDC ECU kit.

What photos are you looking for? If you search by the part numbers or "F80 / F82 VDC Module" and "F80 / F82 ICM Module" on eBay, you should find what you need. Just make sure the part number matches a car with EDC, or better yet, if they include the VIN in the description run that through mdecoder.com and see if that car has the 2VF option. There are lots of other F chassis cars that have M-adaptive suspension but searching by the M chassis will be quicker.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 11:53 PM   #5
fourthchirpin
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeko View Post
That's exactly my plan as well, however I'm still waiting to hear if the DDC ECU struts are compatible with the factory EDC system. I'm sure you saw, KW lists the same kit for the F87 Comp and CS as the DDC ECU kit.

What photos are you looking for? If you search by the part numbers or "F80 / F82 VDC Module" and "F80 / F82 ICM Module" on eBay, you should find what you need. Just make sure the part number matches a car with EDC, or better yet, if they include the VIN in the description run that through mdecoder.com and see if that car has the 2VF option. There are lots of other F chassis cars that have M-adaptive suspension but searching by the M chassis will be quicker.
are you wiring everything to the ICM and VDC Module?

did you use a m4 switch? if not which switch did you use?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2023, 01:44 AM   #6
Aeko
Private
Rep

Quote:
are you wiring everything to the ICM and VDC Module?

did you use a m4 switch? if not which switch did you use?
Updated the guide; I had to do CAFD injection on the EDC and ICM. I also flashed the ICM.

Yes, switch was from M4, M3 works as well. PN 61317850481 for the one without the surround view buttons.

Also as a note, I didn't provide module PNs in the guide because there are literally dozens of them and the easiest way I found what I needed was to search for parts that came out of M cars rather than by the part numbers. I tried going by what the dealer shows the latest part numbers are for an M2 CS and they're very hard to find, specifically the VDC ending in 308, which is just the latest revision.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2023, 12:07 PM   #7
fourthchirpin
Private
Rep

Quote:

photos of placement of module or other things. Not sure wherer they live in the factory cars thats why I was curious of photos. I guess you dont have time for that.

couldn't you just get all the edc wiring from a single car?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2023, 07:07 PM   #8
Aeko
Private
Rep

Quote:
photos of placement of module or other things. Not sure wherer they live in the factory cars thats why I was curious of photos. I guess you dont have time for that.

couldn't you just get all the edc wiring from a single car?
Ah okay. I used this thread for pictures of factory VDC location: https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1899261

FYI the foam module holder should be the following: Control unit support 61359277022

Theoretically yes, however it's almost impossible to find an EDC harness. I looked for several weeks and gave up. The part numbers for the harnesses are identical because it only includes the basic features, not the options such as EDC. You'd need to find someone parting an EDC car and have them pull the entire harness. I was quoted $2,000 for a harness for an F82 by a business that parts a lot of M cars; most of the cost was just labor. It would take maybe 4 hours and $200 in parts and wire to make one.

Most yards don't pull wiring harnesses because they usually don't sell well, and even if they do have a harness for the chassis they don't typically have the VIN for you to check what features the car it came from had. You may have better luck depending if you know of or can find someone parting a car locally.
Appreciate 1
chris7197273.00
      09-25-2023, 11:24 AM   #9
Aeko
Private
Rep

Quote:
This is the response I got from KW.

I sent a followup because I'm wondering if the F82 EDC kit would work since the F87 and F82 are very similar

Do you have an oscilloscope by chance? What I'm thinking is we can compare what the signals and amperage for the solenoid control is like for the KW ECU vs EDC systems. If they're the same voltage and amperage it should theoretically work as long as the KW ECU internal solenoids can handle the duty cycle.
Appreciate 1
chris7197273.00
      09-25-2023, 11:46 AM   #10
fourthchirpin
Private
Rep

Quote:
This is the response I got from KW.

I sent a followup because I'm wondering if the F82 EDC kit would work since the F87 and F82 are very similar

Do you have an oscilloscope by chance? What I'm thinking is we can compare what the signals and amperage for the solenoid control is like for the KW ECU vs EDC systems. If they're the same voltage and amperage it should theoretically work as long as the KW ECU internal solenoids can handle the duty cycle.
I can get an osilloscope. I work in the electromagnetic interference space so that is easy to get a hold of for me. By that response I probably will just install the full KW kit. But I am still curious to know if the F82 or F80 DDC kit will work with the factory setup. Once I install I'll let u know for any measurements u want to compare.
Appreciate 1
chris7197273.00
      09-25-2023, 03:37 PM   #11
Aeko
Private
Rep

Quote:
I can get an osilloscope. I work in the electromagnetic interference space so that is easy to get a hold of for me. By that response I probably will just install the full KW kit. But I am still curious to know if the F82 or F80 DDC kit will work with the factory setup. Once I install I'll let u know for any measurements u want to compare.
Sounds good. I'll find some load resistors and see what the values look like for the EDC cancellation loads I have currently set up as dummies to test the EDC module.

I asked as well and the response was the valving is stiffer. I'm not completely happy with these responses as they seem a bit dismissive and are not giving me actual data. I'm waiting to see if I can get shock dyno graphs from them.

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 03:57 PM   #12
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

The vehicles are barely any different in weight, so it may not be optimal but it would probably not be a complete disaster. This is one of the best posts I have seen on this forum and I really appreciate you taking the time to detail all this.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2023, 04:23 PM   #13
Aeko
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
The vehicles are barely any different in weight, so it may not be optimal but it would probably not be a complete disaster. This is one of the best posts I have seen on this forum and I really appreciate you taking the time to detail all this.
Thank you, I really appreciate it! I spent a lot of time researching this stuff so I wanted to pass along as much useful info as I could.

That was kind of my thought as well... however, in my case, ideally I want to retain Sport+ suspension as the same or stiffer than factory, Sport maybe slightly softer, and Comfort softer yet. I live in an area with extremely bad roads so anything I can do to mitigate that helps.

So, stiffer valving would be less than ideal but it might still not be as bad as the factory. I've seen some reviews on the KW DDC F80/F82 being pretty comfortable still.
Appreciate 1
chris7197273.00
      09-26-2023, 11:20 AM   #14
fourthchirpin
Private
Rep

Quote:
Sounds good. I'll find some load resistors and see what the values look like for the EDC cancellation loads I have currently set up as dummies to test the EDC module.

I asked as well and the response was the valving is stiffer. I'm not completely happy with these responses as they seem a bit dismissive and are not giving me actual data. I'm waiting to see if I can get shock dyno graphs from them.

That sort of sounds like bs. The DDC valving is 100% adjustable if you have the Wifi Module. Its easier for me to believe the different spring rates than both different valving and spring rates. Why offer different spring rates for a car that has he same motor? I could see maybe the spring rate in the rear is different from cars possibly but not the front.

Id love to know what are the difference in spring rates.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 07:06 PM   #15
Aeko
Private
Rep

Quote:
That sort of sounds like bs. The DDC valving is 100% adjustable if you have the Wifi Module. Its easier for me to believe the different spring rates than both different valving and spring rates. Why offer different spring rates for a car that has he same motor? I could see maybe the spring rate in the rear is different from cars possibly but not the front.

Id love to know what are the difference in spring rates.
This is what he told me after I asked specifically what the rates were. So, between the BS answers, badly misinformed about the car weights and even their own product specs, this really leaves a bad taste.

Like seriously, why tell me the spring rates are different and then give me the exact same numbers? I'm beginning to doubt there's really that much of a difference between the F87 ECU dampers and the F80/F82 dampers valving wise.

And by valving I mean, the range it would let you use for adjustment.

Appreciate 1
chris7197273.00
      09-26-2023, 07:22 PM   #16
fourthchirpin
Private
Rep

Quote:
This is what he told me after I asked specifically what the rates were. So, between the BS answers, badly misinformed about the car weights and even their own product specs, this really leaves a bad taste.

Like seriously, why tell me the spring rates are different and then give me the exact same numbers? I'm beginning to doubt there's really that much of a difference between the F87 ECU dampers and the F80/F82 dampers valving wise.

And by valving I mean, the range it would let you use for adjustment.

So they are telling you the only difference is the valving for rebound? Not the spring rates since the spring part numbers are the same?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2023, 01:03 PM   #17
Aeko
Private
Rep

Quote:
So they are telling you the only difference is the valving for rebound? Not the spring rates since the spring part numbers are the same?
That is what I am interpreting from what they told me. The only difference I was able to find on their "parts approval" list on the M2 vs M4 kits was the rear helper springs have slightly different values. Also their listed "max axle load" for the two cars are as follows:

M2:

F: 970kg
R: 1080kg

M4:

F: 990kg
R: 1170kg

M2 rear springs:

M4 rear springs:

Also funny enough they actually have the M2, M3, and M4 all classed under "M3" in their documents:

Part #: 39020042 (M2 Kit)

Part #: 39020039 (M4 Kit)

I'd encourage you to ask questions from their support and see if you get someone else because I don't trust anything this guy told me.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2023, 01:23 PM   #18
fourthchirpin
Private
Rep

Quote:
That is what I am interpreting from what they told me. The only difference I was able to find on their "parts approval" list on the M2 vs M4 kits was the rear helper springs have slightly different values. Also their listed "max axle load" for the two cars are as follows:

M2:

F: 970kg
R: 1080kg

M4:

F: 990kg
R: 1170kg

M2 rear springs:

M4 rear springs:

Also funny enough they actually have the M2, M3, and M4 all classed under "M3" in their documents:

Part #: 39020042 (M2 Kit)

Part #: 39020039 (M4 Kit)

I'd encourage you to ask questions from their support and see if you get someone else because I don't trust anything this guy told me.
Those are small changes. Once I get my suspension installed I'll attempt to get a scope to read that signal going to each side.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2023, 04:44 PM   #19
Aeko
Private
Rep

Quote:
Those are small changes. Once I get my suspension installed I'll attempt to get a scope to read that signal going to each side.
I was looking at other options and came across this thread:

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&highlight=DDC

For my use case the Evolve Bilstein B6 sounds like a better option because I want to keep the ride height and add more comfort because of the crappy roads here. I can always change the suspension later on.

Also, I am looking in to what it would take to potentially use the EDC system to control the KW ECU. It shouldn't be too difficult to have something like a Raspberry Pi read the Flexray messages to look for what setting it's on, and then have it virtually press the button and have it read the status LED so it sets the KW ECU correctly in accordance with whatever the EDC system shows. At this point it's mostly just as a curiosity so I may not finish that depending on how much effort it takes, but we will see.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2023, 11:26 AM   #20
fourthchirpin
Private
Rep

Quote:
I was looking at other options and came across this thread:

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&highlight=DDC

For my use case the Evolve Bilstein B6 sounds like a better option because I want to keep the ride height and add more comfort because of the crappy roads here. I can always change the suspension later on.

Also, I am looking in to what it would take to potentially use the EDC system to control the KW ECU. It shouldn't be too difficult to have something like a Raspberry Pi read the Flexray messages to look for what setting it's on, and then have it virtually press the button and have it read the status LED so it sets the KW ECU correctly in accordance with whatever the EDC system shows. At this point it's mostly just as a curiosity so I may not finish that depending on how much effort it takes, but we will see.
I have not installed the KW DDC Kit but I picked up full EDC Wiring from an M4. Which I may probably want to install. Im not sure which do I want to switch to if the DDC kit does not work with the Factory EDC wiring.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2023, 01:27 PM   #21
Aeko
Private
Rep

Quote:
I have not installed the KW DDC Kit but I picked up full EDC Wiring from an M4. Which I may probably want to install. Im not sure which do I want to switch to if the DDC kit does not work with the Factory EDC wiring.
Yeah, that's definitely a dilemma. You probably know a lot of this but here's my thought process:

The biggest difference with the EDC vs DDC is that the EDC will sense and constantly adjust the damping to, as I understand it, assist with grip and body roll among other things. I haven't experienced it firsthand yet so I can't say how effective it is, especially with aftermarket dampers.

The DDC lets you change the static rate of the dampers pretty much the same as adjusting the valves on non electronic dampers. But then again, most people run adjustable coilovers and don't really change the settings much unless they're going between road or different tracks.

Personally I'd be fine with the DDC, I literally just wanted the system to integrate into the cluster and be able to use the M buttons and have presets, etc, and that alone was worth the effort of going through retrofitting EDC. I don't like drilling holes for aftermarket buttons and things like that, regardless of how nice or expensive the gear is. If that doesn't bother you, the DDC route might be easier just because of the extra effort going EDC takes.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2023, 08:03 PM   #22
fourthchirpin
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, that's definitely a dilemma. You probably know a lot of this but here's my thought process:

The biggest difference with the EDC vs DDC is that the EDC will sense and constantly adjust the damping to, as I understand it, assist with grip and body roll among other things. I haven't experienced it firsthand yet so I can't say how effective it is, especially with aftermarket dampers.

The DDC lets you change the static rate of the dampers pretty much the same as adjusting the valves on non electronic dampers. But then again, most people run adjustable coilovers and don't really change the settings much unless they're going between road or different tracks.

Personally I'd be fine with the DDC, I literally just wanted the system to integrate into the cluster and be able to use the M buttons and have presets, etc, and that alone was worth the effort of going through retrofitting EDC. I don't like drilling holes for aftermarket buttons and things like that, regardless of how nice or expensive the gear is. If that doesn't bother you, the DDC route might be easier just because of the extra effort going EDC takes.

I didnt think the EDC was that dynamic. Id love to see more bmw literature for that constant adjusting of the dampeners while in each mode. I dont daily my M2 so im fine with how stiff the suspension is from the factory in fact I think its perfect. Ive driving in NYC a bit and didn't find it to be too harsh when being aware.

The Evolve suspension looks good. I prefer the OEM+ and integrating the EDC. the way the car should have come IMO.

You need some youtube videos of the install. and some of the setup software....
Appreciate 0