M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > 763m m2 cs

04-23-2021, 01:15 PM   #23
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post
763M matte black look sooo nice I'm incredibly fussy about wheels aftermarket or otherwise.

In matte they have a rarified special prototype almost appeal. I'm gloss I think they'd look nice still but more generic.
Matte wheel protectan for the win. It ads just a hint of sheen without giving the armorall shine.

https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Beasleys-S...qid=1619201562
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 04:00 PM   #24
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

Miserable about choosing the specific finish for £3000+ wheels for a sports car...
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 06:07 PM   #25
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Not sure why BMW calls the standard black and frozen gold "matte" as they are clearly semi-gloss (satin). The Orbit Grey wheels are the only set they make that are close to matte (and even they look somewhat semi-gloss to me). The new CS jet black wheel is the only one that can't be mistaken since the gloss is crazy.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
jdubm2c169.00
RideM317.00
MVista305.50
      04-27-2021, 11:48 PM   #26
agzx517
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: MW G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Not sure why BMW calls the standard black and frozen gold "matte" as they are clearly semi-gloss (satin). The Orbit Grey wheels are the only set they make that are close to matte (and even they look somewhat semi-gloss to me). The new CS jet black wheel is the only one that can't be mistaken since the gloss is crazy.

Does anyone know how I can replicate that Frozen Gold in Powder Coat? It has a certain silver/gold mix to it. Im in Love.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 07:44 AM   #27
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by agzx517 View Post
Does anyone know how I can replicate that Frozen Gold in Powder Coat? It has a certain silver/gold mix to it. Im in Love.
You can't. And yes, I'm sure.

It's what called a tri-stage paint. The wheel is painted silver, then clear-gold pearl over the top so that the silver shines through the gold. Beyond that, the specific look is achieved by not painting the wheel completely. The edges are nearly full silver. So you have this silver/gold/pearl thing going that you'd have to do with paint. Many manufacturers do this, SAI being just one of them, but it makes the finishes impossible to duplicate.

The only thing SAI does that the other manufacturers don't seem to do is they hide the process by painting the wheel fully, front and back. Usually it's easy to see, as it is on this Lotus wheel. Notice how the barrel is still dark metallic silver, while the face is bright silver.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 08:10 PM   #28
BespokeM
Private
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
The first pic certainly looks satin to me, but everywhere else i see pics of the "matte black" it doesn't look satin. I would definitely buy these if they look like this in person!
Appreciate 0