BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Why Amazon Prime?

09-08-2023, 01:36 PM   #1
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Why Amazon Prime?

I've seen ppl over the years get this but I was never in a hurry to get stuff and could wait the 1 week or less, it's nothing to me. Today, I'm waiting for a pkg that only took two (2) days from my order to delivery! They are getting freaking super-efficient. So, to me, it's funny how ppl are still in a rush to get stuff and want to pay extra.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 1
Llarry15947.50
      09-08-2023, 01:41 PM   #2
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lots of BMWs

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2006 Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
2021 X7 40i MSport  [0.00]
Have had it so long, not sure what's included and how shipping varies without it. Think the same day is Prime only, wife uses that all the time. Prime Video while not the #1 streaming option for us, its used. Think it gives benefits for the kids Fire tabs, but not sure, they are on their 3rd Fire device. I also use Prime Music, dk if price is cheaper because also other Prime. Have lots of stuff on sub & save, is that Prime only no clue. No idea all the benefits to us, but at the cost its not a factor.
Appreciate 1
DocL1930.00
      09-08-2023, 01:47 PM   #3
MassWholeBimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 M50i

I like it (Prime membership). Same with Prime video. Not #1, but still watch it semi-regulararly. Plus, I believe no minimum purchase for free shipping with Prime membership. Many of my purchases are < $25.00, which I believe is the threshold for free shipping for non Prime members ??

Last edited by MassWholeBimmer; 09-08-2023 at 02:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 02:25 PM   #4
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Recently canceled, for the following reasons (US):
- 2 day shipping turned into 3 days, 4 days, and beyond. Their delivery driver network is not reliable. Sure, I don't need anything in 2 days, but if I'm paying for it, you better deliver.
- It's turned into a junk mart like Alibaba. You have to scroll thru pages of knockoffs and Chinese copies and then you might get to legit brands. It's funny because if you change your country to somewhere outside the US, suddenly the results are improved. Sad we enable this junk mart behavior just because it's more profitable for Amazon.
- Would rather shop local and not support Amazon, who is in bed with the government and overall bad for the country.
Appreciate 11
ASAP10161.00
tcphoto3537.00
nerdogray1301.50
RickFLM410974.50
lakefront560.50
TboneS541043.00
HondaRC51251.00
      09-08-2023, 03:04 PM   #5
bagekko
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lots of BMWs

Garage List
2018 M4 Vert  [0.00]
2006 Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 i3 Rex  [0.00]
2021 X7 40i MSport  [0.00]
Yeah at least 50% of the time when I pick the soonest day, it never arrives that day. Same day though is reliable.

Your #2 is prolly the big reason I quit ebay, but yeah now all the stuff migrated. Though if your buying few of those items, like charger cables, magnets, etc... at least its one txn now and possibly all bundled together in one box. My issue is if I want something from a particular brand, the filter on amazon doesn't work and pulls up other junk or sometimes doesn't include the brand even though the item is on amazon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
Recently canceled, for the following reasons (US):
- 2 day shipping turned into 3 days, 4 days, and beyond. Their delivery driver network is not reliable. Sure, I don't need anything in 2 days, but if I'm paying for it, you better deliver.
- It's turned into a junk mart like Alibaba. You have to scroll thru pages of knockoffs and Chinese copies and then you might get to legit brands. It's funny because if you change your country to somewhere outside the US, suddenly the results are improved. Sad we enable this junk mart behavior just because it's more profitable for Amazon.
- Would rather shop local and not support Amazon, who is in bed with the government and overall bad for the country.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 03:46 PM   #6
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagekko View Post
Have had it so long, not sure what's included and how shipping varies without it. Think the same day is Prime only, wife uses that all the time. Prime Video while not the #1 streaming option for us, its used. Think it gives benefits for the kids Fire tabs, but not sure, they are on their 3rd Fire device. I also use Prime Music, dk if price is cheaper because also other Prime. Have lots of stuff on sub & save, is that Prime only no clue. No idea all the benefits to us, but at the cost its not a factor.
So Amazon almost got a major lawsuit over Prime and there was already an investigation into it... in effect, they forced you to get Prime or they would sit on your packages for a few days until they shipped to delay shipments to you.

In effect, your package was always super late as a result and they told everyone, get Prime and you will always get items early... well then they lobbied some crooks and here we are.
      09-08-2023, 04:34 PM   #7
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I believe the lawsuit involved the endless maze users encountered when trying to cancel Prime subscriptions. I remember starting a return of a purchase and they wouldn’t issue an RMA and the rep made it nearly impossible to do so, I immediately cancelled my subscription and refuse to fund Bezos’ yacht fund.
      09-08-2023, 04:39 PM   #8
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
So Amazon almost got a major lawsuit over Prime and there was already an investigation into it... in effect, they forced you to get Prime or they would sit on your packages for a few days until they shipped to delay shipments to you.

In effect, your package was always super late as a result and they told everyone, get Prime and you will always get items early... well then they lobbied some crooks and here we are.
Whatever the case, they still do it. I still order an item occasionally without Prime, and it'll be 3-4 days before it ships.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 04:49 PM   #9
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
I've seen ppl over the years get this but I was never in a hurry to get stuff and could wait the 1 week or less, it's nothing to me. Today, I'm waiting for a pkg that only took two (2) days from my order to delivery! They are getting freaking super-efficient. So, to me, it's funny how ppl are still in a rush to get stuff and want to pay extra.
For $89/year I get overnight deliver, Amazon music and Prime TV, seems like a good deal to me.
Appreciate 3
Esteban43734.50
JJ 911SC22412.50
      09-08-2023, 05:09 PM   #10
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
I believe the lawsuit involved the endless maze users encountered when trying to cancel Prime subscriptions. I remember starting a return of a purchase and they wouldn’t issue an RMA and the rep made it nearly impossible to do so, I immediately cancelled my subscription and refuse to fund Bezos’ yacht fund.
dam ive never had any issue returning stuff.

within the return window, super easy. outside the return window, just get on their help chat and tell them i want to return.

and lately, about half the time they just tell me to keep the item and they issue a refund.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2023, 05:43 PM   #11
MassWholeBimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 M50i

The free shipping on all orders, regardless of price, pays for itself. Just ordered an oil filter for my John Deere tractor. Next day delivery, right to my door step. Other than needing lumber or big ticket / bulky items, hardly ever step foot in a Home Depot.

Wasp spray.... Check....
Cleaning supplies. Check...
Light bulbs... Check..
Husqvarna chain saw blades... Got that too.
      09-08-2023, 08:21 PM   #12
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
For $89/year I get overnight deliver, Amazon music and Prime TV, seems like a good deal to me.
Yep, we pay a little more than you but we like it as well.

Last edited by Esteban; 09-08-2023 at 08:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2023, 08:34 PM   #13
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

We have had it for years and like it for the shipping and Prime Video as others have stated. But for the first time in a long time have been giving it more thought. The price keeps going up and now the shipping is slower and less reliable. I don’t like being told something will arrive in a day or two, only to be told the day it is supposed to arrive that it will be late (and have no way to cancel the order / delivery). I find myself ordering less from Amazon as a result of the changes in shipping and eventually might find myself not feeling the need to renew Prime anymore.
      09-08-2023, 08:52 PM   #14
Pauly Wauly
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 560X

We order many things on a daily/weekly basis so the membership pays for itself with the free shipping. And 99.0% of the time next day delivery.
Karma is real!!!....You keep doing people dirty and being a complete asshole and think God is going to bless you. It may not be today, or tomorrow, or next week, but what goes around comes back around. And when that bitch comes for you it`ll be tenfold!
Appreciate 2
vreihen1615269.50
      09-08-2023, 08:55 PM   #15
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
We have had it for years and like it for the shipping and Prime Video as others have stated. But for the first time in a long time have been giving it more thought. The price keeps going up and now the shipping is slower and less reliable. I don’t like being told something will arrive in a day or two, only to be told the day it is supposed to arrive that it will be late (and have no way to cancel the order / delivery). I find myself ordering less from Amazon as a result of the changes in shipping and eventually might find myself not feeling the need to renew Prime anymore.
That happened to me just today. I guess nothing is perfect.
      09-08-2023, 09:00 PM   #16
Pauly Wauly
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 560X

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
That happens to me once in a while, and all I do is contact them and every single time I get like 50% discount on the item for the inconvenience
Karma is real!!!....You keep doing people dirty and being a complete asshole and think God is going to bless you. It may not be today, or tomorrow, or next week, but what goes around comes back around. And when that bitch comes for you it`ll be tenfold!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 09:03 PM   #17
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

I agree on the comment above re. Amazon turning to shit, what was it... Ali Baba? It's mostly absolute garbage now, the same shitty font used for all the terrible chinese knock offs, i rarely find anything I want.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 09:34 PM   #18
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Ok guys, this is supposed to be about Amazon, not some silly Chinese knockoff bashing, unless you guys wanna throw away your smartphones and many other things.

Anyway....ofc everyone's different but I was never in a rush to get stuff, 1 week was already alright w me but now just 2 days, it's pretty great. Also, who would actually pay for shipping unless it was for something super urgent? Making the CAD35 threshold isn't that hard, so ofc I do that all the time. I just don't like the concept of paying extra for something that should be included, so as a tangent that's why I don't bother joining Costco, etc, it's against my principles and I don't have a big family to take advantage of those bulk sizes.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 09:39 PM   #19
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Overnight is great, but personally I don't need it that quickly if I have to pay. No idea about Amazon music/TV, I get all that for free.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 09:43 PM   #20
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Every once in a while is no big deal. In fact most of the time it’s no big deal. But it seems like it has been happening a lot more frequently over the past year or two and is becoming more noticeable. There are times when I ordered something I expect to arrive before traveling and it is delayed, which I find annoying. There are other times when I can see the shipment is delayed in the order status and they won’t let me cancel the order because it is about to be shipped - then 2 or more days go by before they actually ship it. Their shipping used to be a lot more like clockwork so it just devalues Prime if they continue to deteriorate. I suppose it is just a sign of the times. FedEx used to be very reliable and I now find them about equal to USPS.
Esteban43734.50
      09-08-2023, 09:45 PM   #21
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It’s up to $139/year now in the U.S.
c1pher4671.50
vreihen1615269.50
      09-08-2023, 09:52 PM   #22
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Every once in a while is no big deal. In fact most of the time it’s no big deal. But it seems like it has been happening a lot more frequently over the past year or two and is becoming more noticeable. There are times when I ordered something I expect to arrive before traveling and it is delayed, which I find annoying. There are other times when I can see the shipment is delayed in the order status and they won’t let me cancel the order because it is about to be shipped - then 2 or more days go by before they actually ship it. Their shipping used to be a lot more like clockwork so it just devalues Prime if they continue to deteriorate. I suppose it is just a sign of the times. FedEx used to be very reliable and I now find them about equal to USPS.
Yeah, that sounds like a bummer, especially when you’re counting on it.