BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Seat bolster protectors

12-23-2019, 12:12 PM   #1
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Seat bolster protectors

It seems most people with sport seats will, sooner or later, run into the bolsters wearing out.
For me, the M2 side bolsters, with less than 10K miles, are already showing signs of wear. On the 135i, the left leg bolsters literally ripped. I had to put duct tape there (temporarily).

I found this company, which sells a neat solution.
http://www.wattsmotoringaccessories.com/chaps.html

Unfortunately, it seems they have not up updated their products for a long while, which seems to indicate that they're out of business (?)

I can't believe there aren't more companies offering similar products.
Does anyone know of a good solution for this problem?
Appreciate 1
cncmastr1568.50
      12-23-2019, 12:15 PM   #2
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

This is something I am worried about with the new seats in the Comp. I plan on trying to code an "easy-out" function to prevent this. When the car is started, move the seat up, and when it's off, move it back. My Jeep GC had it and I loved it.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 04:43 PM   #3
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep

I don't think BMW has such feature.
Let us know if you find it. I did not see anything like that in Bimmercode.

But seriously, this is not something that an app can fix.
You can slide the seats all the way back, but you will go along with the seats. You'll still brush against the bolsters when you get out, and while driving, your legs will still brush against the side bolsters.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 04:56 PM   #4
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
I don't think BMW has such feature.
You can code Easy Entry/Exit, I did it in a 2019 model, so I don't see why it work on a new M2C.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=23264183
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 08:23 AM   #5
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

You can code the seat motion with Bimmercode
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 08:54 AM   #6
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 WRX World Rally Blue

Garage List
I did it in my 2017 using E-Sys.

I think the value for all the way back is 64. I adjusted mine because I'm not tall. Just enough to get in comfortably and press the clutch.

In E-Sys it can be found under the SM2 module.

Can't help you with Bimmercode though.

Look at Poochie's link. That's what I followed.
      12-24-2019, 10:33 AM   #7
BMW 16 5-0
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

I had my 135 for almost 12 years and never had any issues with the leather seats. I cleaned and put leather conditioner every couple months. The seats in the M2C seem to be even easier to get in and out of so not to cause excessive wear.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 11:53 AM   #8
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
You can code Easy Entry/Exit, I did it in a 2019 model, so I don't see why it work on a new M2C.

Not clear what you said above. Does it work or not on 2018 M2 LCI?
In your linked post you said:
Quote:
I'm not sure if it works for 2018 though, since some folks been having issues with the new MY and coding.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 12:00 PM   #9
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Not clear what you said above. Does it work or not on 2018 M2 LCI?
In your linked post you said:
Quote:
I'm not sure if it works for 2018 though, since some folks been having issues with the new MY and coding.

Sorry about the confusion, that post was from last year before I had an opportunity to test the coding on a 2019 230i loaner car.

To confirm, yes, those same parameters does work on all F-Series vehicles with model years 2018 and above, including vehicles with the latest software revision.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 12:06 PM   #10
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry about the confusion, that post was from last year before I had an opportunity to test the coding on a 2019 230i loaner car.

To confirm, yes, those same parameters does work on all F-Series vehicles with model years 2018 and above, including vehicles with the latest software revision.

Last edited by MPBK; 12-26-2019 at 09:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 09:22 PM   #11
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep

Quote:

So, I hooked up Bimmercode to my car today.
On a 2018 LCI M2, I see the
3000 SM_GLOBAL -> EINAUSSTIEGSHILFE
but the
3012 EAH
looks very different. There is no EAH_VERFAHRWEG_SLV_PHYS nor EAH_SCHUTZFREIRAUM_HINTEN_SLV_PHYS parameters. Instead, there is only a EAH_0_42_255 parameter.
(see picture : https://www.dropbox.com/s/bbli43segu...44.33.png?dl=0 )

If I go inside that parameter, I see 5 other values (including a custom value).
(see picture https://www.dropbox.com/s/tu15w333yk...44.37.png?dl=0 )

What am I missing? Do I need to ask my dealer to update the software?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 11:32 PM   #12
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

So, I hooked up Bimmercode to my car today.
On a 2018 LCI M2, I see the
3000 SM_GLOBAL -> EINAUSSTIEGSHILFE
but the
3012 EAH
looks very different. There is no EAH_VERFAHRWEG_SLV_PHYS nor EAH_SCHUTZFREIRAUM_HINTEN_SLV_PHYS parameters. Instead, there is only a EAH_0_42_255 parameter.
(see picture : https://www.dropbox.com/s/bbli43segu...44.33.png?dl=0 )

If I go inside that parameter, I see 5 other values (including a custom value).
(see picture https://www.dropbox.com/s/tu15w333yk...44.37.png?dl=0 )

What am I missing? Do I need to ask my dealer to update the software?
Sorry it didn't work but according to my research, in some vehicles, additionally coding needs to be adjusted in the FEM body.

I linked the thread below of someone who had a similar issue. Good luck and keep us updated.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=20937103
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 12:10 AM   #13
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

I do two hands on the wheel to hold myself from touching the side bolsters when getting in and out. I did not do this in my 350z and the cloth seats did eventually tear a bit. Probably regularly cleaning the leather there is a good idea too.

It makes me feel kinda bad putting a bunch of weight/pulling force on my steering wheel, but I figure it's built to take a fair amount of abuse.

Maybe I'll try to figure out using my left hand on the roof instead or something since I don't wear rings.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 12:54 AM   #14
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

To be honest I think those covers look worse than worn bolsters. I'm keeping my car forever and accept the fact that I will probably reupholster the seats at last once.

Last edited by mr_lab_rat; 12-27-2019 at 01:46 AM..
Appreciate 2
Poochie9099.00
jkoral1016.00
      12-27-2019, 12:59 AM   #15
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_lab_rat View Post
To be honest I think those covers look worse than worn bolsters. I'm keeping my car forever and accept the fact that I will probably reupholster the seats at east once.
That's an excellent outlook on the inevitable, I feel the same way; you can minimize the seat wear but you can't completely eliminate it.

Best you can do is replace it when it becomes worn and just move on.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 02:22 PM   #16
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_lab_rat View Post
To be honest I think those covers look worse than worn bolsters. I'm keeping my car forever and accept the fact that I will probably reupholster the seats at last once.
They look hideous.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 10:36 PM   #17
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
I do two hands on the wheel to hold myself from touching the side bolsters when getting in and out. I did not do this in my 350z and the cloth seats did eventually tear a bit. Probably regularly cleaning the leather there is a good idea too.
It makes me feel kinda bad putting a bunch of weight/pulling force on my steering wheel, but I figure it's built to take a fair amount of abuse.
Maybe I'll try to figure out using my left hand on the roof instead or something since I don't wear rings.
"SCHLACK!" hack to exit the car: instead of a pull-up with both hands, turn your body left to position to get out of the car and use the 9h position of the locked steering wheel as 'support' to push yourself out of the car with your right hand (as if you want to push the steering wheel down to the left, which is prevented by the wheel lock):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Throwing in a couple of quick tips (iDrive references: pre-LCI):
  • steering wheel lock: switch off the engine with your door still closed, subsequently open your door and wait for the "SCHLACK!"-sound of the automatic activation of the steering wheel lock. Twist the steering wheel to 'lock' the steering wheel. Here you go: now you got yourself a perfect 'grab handle' to pull yourself out of the car (yeah, we're lazy) + for sure your steering wheel lock is activated;
More quick tips: here.
      12-28-2019, 06:31 AM   #18
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Maybe just avoid sliding down the bolster into the seat, and use one hand on the bottom of the door opening to help lift yourself out.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 11:31 AM   #19
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep

Quote:
"SCHLACK!" hack to exit the car: instead of a pull-up with both hands, turn your body left to position to get out of the car and use the 9h position of the locked steering wheel as 'support' to push yourself out of the car with your right hand (as if you want to push the steering wheel down to the left, which is prevented by the wheel lock):
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Maybe just avoid sliding down the bolster into the seat, and use one hand on the bottom of the door opening to help lift yourself out.
Both of these tips are dependent on how close you set the steering wheel and the seats.
Many folks like to drive with their arms fully extended (for comfort, I guess). But that limits your motion, in case of an emergency maneuver. For maximum range of motion, you want your arms bent almost 90 degrees when holding the steering wheel. That was also what they taught us when I did a BMW driving class (factory delivery in Spartanburg, SC). Notice how close the professional drivers have their steering wheel.
The first thing I do with any car (usually rental, not friend's cars), I pull the steering wheel to the maximum it will go towards my chest. Then I adjust the seats to fit my legs. That leaves not much room for entry/exit and inevitably I rub on the bolsters.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 03:45 PM   #20
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Appreciate the tips! I don’t sit too far from the wheel, so I should be close enough to try out a few different ways of using it as leverage. I like the idea of using the steering lock as I know that’s a mechanical component that’s pretty robust.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2019, 03:41 AM   #21
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Both of these tips are dependent on how close you set the steering wheel and the seats.
Many folks like to drive with their arms fully extended (for comfort, I guess). But that limits your motion, in case of an emergency maneuver. For maximum range of motion, you want your arms bent almost 90 degrees when holding the steering wheel. That was also what they taught us when I did a BMW driving class (factory delivery in Spartanburg, SC). Notice how close the professional drivers have their steering wheel.
The first thing I do with any car (usually rental, not friend's cars), I pull the steering wheel to the maximum it will go towards my chest. Then I adjust the seats to fit my legs. That leaves not much room for entry/exit and inevitably I rub on the bolsters.
Really ? What was taught to me (also confirmed during a BMW M Driving Experience course): put your wrists upon the top of your steering wheel to determine the appropriate distance.

Furthermore, you definitely don't want a steering wheel with airbag way too close to your upper body. A steering wheel can kill you.

See for example also here from 01:33 onwards:
      12-30-2019, 11:28 AM   #22
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Really ? What was taught to me (also confirmed during a BMW M Driving Experience course): put your wrists upon the top of your steering wheel to determine the appropriate distance.
Furthermore, you definitely don't want a steering wheel with airbag way too close to your upper body. A steering wheel can kill you.
See for example also here from 01:33 onwards:
[VIDEO]
In your video above, 01:33, look at his arms. They are bent about 90 degrees.
It's the same philosophy : get the wheel close to you for better range of motion. Folks here drive with their arms fully extended, gangster style.
I pull the wheel as close to me as possible and if I put my wrist on top of the wheel, my shoulder blades come off the seat. Maybe I have short arms relative to my long legs...
Appreciate 0