United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2PDX View Post
No they aren't.

Catted downpipe are legal in 49 states. They have cats. In California, it depends on CARB regulations.
Actually they are illegal here. You are not allowed to change the manufacturers smog system. One forum member bought one and went to an independent shop to get it installed. The shop refused and threatened to turn him in to the authorities.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 02:09 AM   #24
///Driver
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santabella View Post
hey guys

Which M2 should I get?

1. MSRP $71730
Black
DCT $1,200
Carbon fiber exaust tips $1,515
M performance exhaust $4,710

2 MSRP $69,525
Blue
Manual
Moonroof $1,050
Carbon fiber exaust tips $1,515
M performance exhaust $4,710

3. MSRP $62,485
Black
Manual

I am getting 3.3% off msrp. is this fair enough? (Northwest area)
Hey Santabella, I would go with your option 2... only because I don't like black paint (too hard to keep them clean).
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 02:29 AM   #25
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Actually they are illegal here. You are not allowed to change the manufacturers smog system. One forum member bought one and went to an independent shop to get it installed. The shop refused and threatened to turn him in to the authorities.
A mechanic threatening to turn in a customer to the "authorities" for a downpipe installation? This sounds like the Twilight Zone 😁.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 08:41 AM   #26
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
A mechanic threatening to turn in a customer to the "authorities" for a downpipe installation? This sounds like the Twilight Zone 😁.
Here is the thread: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1552298
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 11:37 AM   #27
Tainen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw e30 325i, subaru wrx

heading in to drive the DCT and the Manual later today. I'm 85% leaning towards DCT because wife doesnt know how to drive manual... but I've been a MT boi all my life. so we'll see. After I decide, I'll put an order in for a euro delivery, or see if I can get a lower price on a euro delivery from BMW NW or BMW Bellevue.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 12:04 PM   #28
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Please help keep the manual alive!
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      12-06-2019, 12:14 PM   #29
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:
Bad idea. Downpipes are illegal in Washington state.
My Service rep at Seattle BMW knows all about my downpipe, and other mods.
NO problem with any of them.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 12:23 PM   #30
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Please help keep the manual alive!
Amen 🙌

If you're going auto, look towards a Audi or Mercedes..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 12:39 PM   #31
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Bad idea. Downpipes are illegal in Washington state.
No they aren't.

Catted downpipe are legal in 49 states. They have cats. In California, it depends on CARB regulations.

Emissions regulations in all of North America tightly restrict the amount of sulfur permitted in motor fuel and by extension, exhaust fumes. If you're using an aftermarket, high-flow downpipe to circumvent these restrictions, wouldn't common sense dictate that it's illegal?

You'll never get fined if you never get caught, which is entirely possible in many places and situations. However, The 1990 Clean Air Act Amendments prohibit private individuals from installing "converter replacement pipes" on their own vehicles that doesn't meet EPA certification.

For the record, no high-flow aftermarket catalytic converter reseller currently have a EPA certification.

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...hsysrepair.pdf
Appreciate 1
DanG10447.00
      12-07-2019, 09:26 AM   #32
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
BMW Seattle has 5 in stock. In Seattle traffic I went for DCT. DCT also has the advantage of being faster and getting better gas mileage than a 6 speed.
You mean the 6 speed is faster...

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...-drive-review/
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 12:23 PM   #33
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Not what BMW claims.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 01:04 PM   #34
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Not what BMW claims.
Their test drivers are just not good at shifting!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 11:17 AM   #35
shredandburn
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 Z06 M7, 2022 Ram TRX

# 2 - manual and mperformance exhaust is all you need moonroof... give or take.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 09:42 PM   #36
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Emissions regulations in all of North America tightly restrict the amount of sulfur permitted in motor fuel and by extension, exhaust fumes. If you're using an aftermarket, high-flow downpipe to circumvent these restrictions, wouldn't common sense dictate that it's illegal?

You'll never get fined if you never get caught, which is entirely possible in many places and situations. However, The 1990 Clean Air Act Amendments prohibit private individuals from installing "converter replacement pipes" on their own vehicles that doesn't meet EPA certification.

For the record, no high-flow aftermarket catalytic converter reseller currently have a EPA certification.
That's not correct. The statute you cite prohibits parts that exceed federal limits. As long as the cat in a catted downpipe (and actually as part of the entire exhaust/catalytic converter system) meets this standard, it's not illegal. The sum of all of the parts in the exhaust system are what collectively must meet the standards. The EPA delegates emissions controls to states for enforcement. States test for emissions (at the tailpipe or through the OBD port analysis), either at federal limits or - - in the case of California, etc. specific lower state limits. I've had 3 catted downpipes on 3 consecutive cars, and all have passed certification with flying colors.

Perhaps you are confused between a catted downpipe and a straight non-catted downpipe?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 04:15 AM   #37
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

rl]

That's not correct. The statute you cite prohibits parts that exceed federal limits. As long as the cat in a catted downpipe (and actually as part of the entire exhaust/catalytic converter system) meets this standard, it's not illegal. The sum of all of the parts in the exhaust system are what collectively must meet the standards. The EPA delegates emissions controls to states for enforcement. States test for emissions (at the tailpipe or through the OBD port analysis), either at federal limits or - - in the case of California, etc. specific lower state limits. I've had 3 catted downpipes on 3 consecutive cars, and all have passed certification with flying colors.

Perhaps you are confused between a catted downpipe and a straight non-catted downpipe?
I didn't confuse anything; I'm fully aware of the different is between a test-pipe and an aftermarket, high-flow catalytic converter.

On a federal level, interfering with a stock catalyst that's fully functioning is illegal. Plain and simple.

Now, emission regulations is enforced on a state level and depending how and if they enforce it, OB2 or physical inspection, you might be able to fly under the radar if your aftermarket cat doesn't throw a fault or they don't check for it.

If you add an aftermarket downpipe, that doesn't change the fact that you're using a device to go around the set standards for pollution per vehicle.

If such a defeat device was fully legal, all auto manufactures and companies like Dinan would jump at the chance to squeeze out a few more easy horses. BMW would have carbon fiber, M Performance sports downpipe for sale by now. Notice they don't?

I'll tell you what, link just one piece of evidence that a high-flow, aftermarket cat is legal and I'll chance my tune. Until then, let's agree to disagree.
Appreciate 1
DanG10447.00
      12-09-2019, 01:53 PM   #38
ktmM3
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 1998 M3, 2015 X5

Quote:
I didn't confuse anything; I'm fully aware of the different is between a test-pipe and an aftermarket, high-flow catalytic converter.

On a federal level, interfering with a stock catalyst that's fully functioning is illegal. Plain and simple.

If you add an aftermarket downpipe, that doesn't change the fact that you're using a device to go around the set standards for pollution per vehicle.

Neither of these statements is true.

As the earlier OP stated, it's the sum of the parts. If the emissions sytem as a whole, including the catted downpipe, as a part of the overall emissions system, meets federal standards for emissions, it's legal, plain and simple.

The ENFORCEMENT, as was pointed out earlier, is to ensure compliance. And as long as the catted downpipe maintains emissions within set state and federal limits, it's not illegal.

In either event, we all need to CALM DOWN!

Last edited by ktmM3; 12-09-2019 at 02:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 02:25 PM   #39
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmM3 View Post
Quote:

Neither of these statements is true.

As the earlier OP stated, it's the sum of the parts. If the emissions sytem as a whole, including the catted downpipe, as a part of the overall emissions system, meets federal standards for emissions, it's legal, plain and simple.

The ENFORCEMENT, as was pointed out earlier, is to ensure compliance. And as long as the catted downpipe maintains emissions within set state and federal limits, it's not illegal.

In either event, we all need to CALM DOWN!

So I guess this is why auto manufactures are only allowed to sell "cat-back" exhausts that coincidently stop short at the catalyst, thus not interfere with it ..

Anything after the catalyst has nothing to do with emission compliance. Any and all piping after the cat is strictly for sound reduction only, NOT emissions.

Legally, you cannot decat or replace the catalytic converter with one that is less effective than the OEM one. The end.

CALM YOURSELF DOWN and find me some proof of anything you said.

It's all conjecture and a pointless attempt in justifying your illegal downpipe.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 07:00 PM   #40
Tainen
Enlisted Member
Rep

I drove the white MT and the black DCT last week. Decided on the DCT. So I sat down to put in the euro delivery order with them and they wouldnt budge off of ED MSRP, so I walked. Bellevue said they would do ED mo problem so I’ll try them next, and I do have BMW Northwest waiting for an extra allocation to see if they can put an order together.

Just called BMW in Beaverton too. Just trying to find the best deal now...
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 07:27 PM   #41
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainen View Post
I drove the white MT and the black DCT last week. Decided on the DCT. So I sat down to put in the euro delivery order with them and they wouldnt budge off of ED MSRP, so I walked. Bellevue said they would do ED mo problem so I’ll try them next, and I do have BMW Northwest waiting for an extra allocation to see if they can put an order together.

I think you will find it hard to get a discount on ED prices. Some dealer won’t even do ED because of the reduced margins.

Seattle BMW has seven M2Cs in stock. I am sure you can get a deal on one of them especially at the end of this month.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 07:51 PM   #42
Tainen
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I think you will find it hard to get a discount on ED prices. Some dealer won’t even do ED because of the reduced margins.

Seattle BMW has seven M2Cs in stock. I am sure you can get a deal on one of them especially at the end of this month.
Huh. I thought the ED MSRP had same margins. Since it’s MSRP.

They dont have 7 in stock, more like 3, for whatever reason their inventory system counts cars not delivered yet, and accounted for cars.

I’d prefer ED, overall. Havent done it before.

edit: just to add I was there an hour ago or so to attempt to sign ED order papers. thats why I mention the inventory.

Last edited by Tainen; 12-13-2019 at 08:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 09:28 AM   #43
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainen View Post

ED is a much lower profit on the car for the dealer - it also comes out of their allocation and so there is little incentive to even do ED for some dealers (and they won't do it on hot cars). Therefore, I would think MSRP is not a bad deal.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 09:58 AM   #44
Tainen
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
ED is a much lower profit on the car for the dealer - it also comes out of their allocation and so there is little incentive to even do ED for some dealers (and they won't do it on hot cars). Therefore, I would think MSRP is not a bad deal.

managed to get 2% discount off ED MSRP by sticking it out, asking all dealerships within a couple of states, and then my closest dealership, after an e-mail from the GM and a respectful explanation of where I'm at, agreed to it.
Appreciate 0