BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > '20 LBB M2C delivery - Review (warning: LONG)

10-03-2019, 07:37 PM   #1
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

'20 LBB M2C delivery - Review (warning: LONG)

A real long-time lurker here, recently registered as a member and finally became an owner of a ’20 LBB M2C.

To provide you with an idea what kind of cars I’ve gone through over the years :
- (Not important) ’94 Daewoo POS
- ’02 RSX-S
- ’04 WRX
- ’04 VW R32
- ’07 S2000
- ’08 C6 Z51
- (Not important) ’09 Genesis sedan
- (Not important) ’13 GS350
- ’17 Camaro SS

Except for those insignificant cars, all my rides have been a manual transmission, supposedly fun-to-drive cars.
I’m not loyal to 1 specific brand, nor do I make any presumptions about a vehicle before experiencing them firsthand, and I definitely do not fall for any kind of undeserving stigma they carry.
I naturally became interested in the 1M & M2 because it reminded me of the E46 M3... one of those cars I could only dream about at the time.
Up until my last purchase, I compromised (performance, reliability, affordability) when choosing a vehicle, and with good reasons too.
There are so many good competitors with much better bang for the buck.
And all the reviews; talking about how BMW is getting away from the direct, analog sports car feel and becoming more disconnected, steered me clear of considering one as my next vehicle.

That had to change when I started looking for a new replacement.
I wasn’t ready to give up on the 3-pedal transmission, so the number of choices were less than a handful.
- C7 Grand Sport
- Shelby GT350
- M2C

Looking back the cars I’ve owned, I think I’ve had the most fun with the R32 and S2000.
German engineering is something that any car enthusiast can appreciate.
I’m in the automotive industry and speaking from an objective perspective, the packaging, refinement of German cars is impressive.

I didn’t have a good track record with GM products.
While they were great value for what you get, GM had to cut corners somewhere.
Quality control is mediocre at best. Sorry.

The GT350 was very tempting but the oil consumption, fit/finish issues, lack of rev-match feature (yes, you heard me correctly. Will talk about that topic later) turned me off.
After a quick contemplating, I became an owner of a LBB M2C.
Car now has 700 miles.
Not even broken in and far from being ready to fully unleash its capability, so the review will be focused more on the overall fit/finish and initial driving impressions.
This will be a head-to-head comparison between the M2C and my previous car, Camaro SS.

Exterior styling

Camaro :
Car has a very mean, aggressive stance especially with the short greenhouse.
Journalists complain how terrible the outward visibility is, but to be honest, I didn’t have any issues in my 3 years of daily driving the car.
It does need some getting used to, especially in tight parking structures, pulling out from a service road in certain angles, etc. but overall, visibility was never an issue for me.
Car looks good in pretty much every angle.
The rear looks bland (pre-LCI), but with dark tail lights at night, I think it looks pretty good.

M2C :
M2 is a very hard car to make look good in a picture.
It needs to be seen in person to fully appreciate the body shape with bulging fenders, little details like curvatures/lines around the bumpers.
The little chubby, bulldog-like stance is amazing. Although not everyone likes this kind of proportion, most would agree that it is unique.
The rear end is somewhat bland and can use some more detail on the tail lights, but with such an aggressive front and bulging fenders, I think it blends quite nicely.

Summary :
As for the styling, I think it’s a matter of preference. Each has its strong suits.
I think the Camaro looks like it was designed solely using a CAD program, while the M2 has a lot more organic surfaces, like on a sculpture.

Interior styling

Camaro :
Cheap plastics galore. Hard plastic everywhere, but the leather(read : Urethane) dash w/ stitching, Alcantara door/seat inserts (50th Anniversary pkg), LED ambient lighting made it look okay.
Instrument cluster is a disgrace.
A simple font change would make it look better.
What’s good is that I didn’t have to look at it much thanks to the HUD.

Entertainment system (MyLink) is intuitive w/ simple menus, easy to use and the touch screen so close to the driver made it convenient to operate.
Seats are comfortable, easy to find the ideal driving position, but the lack of lumbar adjustment is a minus. Back gets a little stiff after a long drive.

M2C :
Lots of cheap plastic, but a little less than the Camaro.
Placement of such plastics make it look a lot less noticeable on the M2.

Instrument cluster is much better on the M2. Truly makes the Camaro’s look cheap.
I didn’t realize how much I was going to miss the HUD until I drove the M2. This is something I’d definitely opt for even if it cost me over $1k.
iDrive is not as easy to navigate, but the menu selection and user interface is more neat in design.

The comp seats are really comfortable with so many ways to adjust to your body.
But maybe that’s the problem. I’ve spent some good amount of time trying to adjust the seat to fit me nicely but even after a few days, I’m not confident I found the seating position I like.
Maybe it’s the clutch/brake/gas pedal travel and placement that’s different from the Camaro that I’m having a hard time getting acquainted with.
I’m sure I’ll be fine. Not complaining, just sharing the difficulty I’m experiencing.

Summary :
M2’s interior is not exactly luxurious. It is practical, but so is the Camaro.
The minimalistic design of the Camaro’s center console + cheap looking cluster makes the overall interior look worse than they really are.
I don’t think there are many people who would choose the Chevy’s interior over the M2, but in my opinion, the quality difference between the two isn’t that big.

Powertrain – Engine

LT1 in the Camaro is rated at 455HP/455 lb-ft.
Although the M2 has a mere 405hp/406 lb-ft, I was guessing they’ll be pretty much neck and neck because as everyone knows BMW underrates their motors.
I haven’t pushed the M2 at all, but up to about 5k RPM, the power delivery is very different.
I wasn’t expecting full-on torque down low but wow, the M2 isn’t going anywhere below 3k RPM.
I was forgetting how to drive a higher-revving engine and was about to complain about the high cruising RPM in 6th gear @ 80MPH.
The M2 NEEDS to stay in that rev range to be responsive.
I wouldn’t go as far to call it a lag, but while there’s no power up until 2.5k, there’s a slight surge in power right at around 3k and pretty much flat after that.
After 3.5k-4k RPM, it gains speed FAST and the smoothness of the engine is just unbelievable. No wonder they call it ‘silky six’.
And the thing is the S55 does all this with much less drama it almost feels…. isolated or numb compared to the LT1 and chassis in the Camaro.
I know it sounds negative, but it’s not bad in feel but rather different.

The LT1 idles rough. Even at a stop light, you could feel the engine shake, hear the exhaust rumble.
The S55/M2 on the other hand, is so smooth. On a stop light when idling, you hardly feel any vibration at all.
Even when accelerating, it’s hard to tell what the engine or exhaust is doing.
I’d venture to say that the Camaro is more raw in driving experience and that the M2 is a more refined and polished machine.

Powertrain – Transmission

Tremec 6060 transmissions were always a bit notchy.
It’s a good transmission, handles torque extremely well, proven performer, but smoothness? Not so much.
The shifter on the M2C is buttery smooth yet precise, it reminded me of the shifter on the Z4M Coupe.
Oh and the rev-match is so seamless it almost feels like DCT.
You need some practicing and learning (clutch dump timing basically) to smoothly operate the rev-match on the Chevy, but the M2C’s does not require any guess work.
Shift down, let go of the clutch, done. No jerkiness or drivetrain shock.
Yes, I’m a fan of the rev-match function on the manual transmission.
It may sound strange coming from a guy who’s been driving manual for 20 years, but I’m not ashamed to admit I’m no heel-and-toe expert.
So the benefit of the rev-match while entering a slow corner, or an abrupt slow-down is paramount.

One thing I noticed on the M2 is that the engine-braking is a lot weaker than the Camaro.
The throttle tune is to blame probably. Camaro has a slight rev-hang when down shifting, then lets it go.
The M2C on the other hand has a much loooooonger rev-hang followed by a very slow rev-drop. This will make me use a lot more brake on downhills.
With all that said, I prefer the shifter/transmission on the M2C.

Chassis – suspension

Although the Camaro is not really much heavier, if any, than the M2C, it feels heavier.
I think it’s probably because of the longer wheelbase, plus more body roll coming from the softer suspension.
The Adaptive suspension on the Camaro is very good.
It does a very good job at filtering out the shocks from pot holes, road imperfections, etc. while still delivering enough information to the driver.
3 different settings (Touring, Sport, Track) feel significantly different and each does its job pretty well.
With stock Goodyear Eagle F1s and track settings, the car turns very well on tight curves through the Smokies.
And then when you hit the interstate, it’s a comfy cruiser w/ the mag suspension set at ‘Touring’.

The suspension on the M2C is firm, much more than the Camaro, but not bone-jarring.
It gives you a sense of confidence that the car will hug the road through tight corners, but not too punishing on daily driving.
I drove the M2C through WV mountain roads and the car felt planted through series of tight curves.
The suspension transmits a LOT more information to the chassis, MUCH more definition than the Chevy which I really like.
Almost feels like these two cars were designed with different demographics in mind.
I wish it had a cushy setting for the occasional long road trips.. but can’t complain with what I have right now. Extremely satisfied with the ride.

Chassis – Steering

This is where the M2C disappoints a little.
With so much feedback through the seat, the steering feels numb by comparison.
The Camaro has more steering feel/feedback and the slightly smaller diameter steering wheel is sportier.
Or it could be relativity playing tricks in my head.
Even with the same amount of feedback, it could feel numb with firm, communicative suspension, while it can be perceived as lively and analogue when felt on a softer, less communicative suspension.
The steering is direct and nicely weighted. I like it but just wish it had more feel and soul to it.

Chassis – Brakes

Hardware-wise the M2C is much superior with larger, cross-drilled rotors, massive 6/4 pistons (F/R) vs. small (more noticeable w/ 20” wheels) rotors + 4/2pot calipers.
I wouldn’t say the brakes were a weak point of the Camaro, but it didn’t give me the confidence during some runs through the mountains.
I’m sure the 6/4 pots on the 1LE would perform way better, but the Standard Brembos on the SS was a letdown for me.

While I haven’t done any hard braking on the M2, it feels much stronger.
Not grabby at all and easy to modulate.
I have a feeling I’m going to love the brakes on the M2. It reminded me of the massive brakes on the R32.

Summary

There’s an attribute that’s hard to quantify when reviewing a product.
A subject that ‘Kansai engineering’ pursue, it’s an emotional attachment one may feel towards one over the other, yet hard to point out why.
It could be a sum of little nuances you feel through the ownership experience; feedbacks from button operations, door shutting sound, interior smell, etc.
I think there’s something special about the M2(or German products in general) that’s not present on other competitors.
The ‘it factor’ completes the whole package as a desirable product, which is why I like the M2 more than the Camaro.

I can’t wait to enjoy the full power of the engine once broken in.
Attached Images

Last edited by nearwater4me; 10-03-2019 at 07:45 PM..
Appreciate 15
bri10425937.00
MystroX56289.50
cptobvious2531.50
ChrisK4449.00
BlkSVT388.50
HazChem262.00
m20e30871150.00
CSBM52721.00
Jarran10.50
KevinM2935.50
Poochie9104.50
      10-04-2019, 07:38 AM   #2
J5isalive
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C, '15 GT3

good review. i have also been a little disappointed in the power delivery in the M2. I find that the partial throttle responsiveness is lacking, almost like the car will not build much boost at 50-70% throttle which is annoying (with or without Sport+ on). But as soon as you go 80-100% the power is there, i'd like more from partial throttle. And yes, i've had ALOT of turbo cars.

I know some throttle mapping and a tune could sort this issue out but i honestly am trying to not feed my urge to tune the car...
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 08:30 AM   #3
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J5isalive View Post
good review. i have also been a little disappointed in the power delivery in the M2. I find that the partial throttle responsiveness is lacking, almost like the car will not build much boost at 50-70% throttle which is annoying (with or without Sport+ on). But as soon as you go 80-100% the power is there, i'd like more from partial throttle. And yes, i've had ALOT of turbo cars.

I know some throttle mapping and a tune could sort this issue out but i honestly am trying to not feed my urge to tune the car...
Same here.
I like to keep my cars stock except for some minor exterior mods, but I might look into a tune once my warranty is over.
Not sure if all S55s behave this way?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 09:17 AM   #4
MrMiaogi
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 LBB M2 Competition

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Great review! Excellent color choice. Would love to read your further review once she's broken in.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 10:21 AM   #5
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Get the M2C broken first, then let us know what you think
BlkSVT388.50
m20e30871150.00
Davil6523.00
      10-04-2019, 11:19 AM   #6
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Get the M2C broken first, then let us know what you think
Will do.
I love the car, don’t get me wrong. Hoping to be pleasantly surprised with the performance once the break-in is over.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 11:35 AM   #7
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwater4me View Post
Will do.
I love the car, don’t get me wrong. Hoping to be pleasantly surprised with the performance once the break-in is over.
You wont be disappointed!
      10-04-2019, 02:21 PM   #8
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 19 AW M2C, 21 M340i

So coming from an 07 S2000 myself, I feel that the M2 does have a lot of torque down low - doesn't it have full boost by like, 2k RPM?
      10-04-2019, 02:28 PM   #9
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Great review, fun read. I just had my first oil change last week and can finally push the car and good god, the way it handles on the street (8/10ths or so) has been pretty eye opening, just so little slop in the chassis or steering. Though I agree the steering lacks a little bit of feel, not enough to effect my confidence when going fast, but enough that when i'm driving around normally I wish I had more feedback.

Interesting note about the Camaro's engine rumbling around at idle. I bet that's intentional on Chevy's part. Different car, but my friend had a 2006 GTO (stock) a while ago and I remember it being borderline too refined and quiet. Granted its been four or five years since i drove it, maybe i'm remembering wrong.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 04:39 PM   #10
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenw View Post
So coming from an 07 S2000 myself, I feel that the M2 does have a lot of torque down low - doesn't it have full boost by like, 2k RPM?
Dyno sheets show full torque at low 2k range, but my butt dyno at 3/4ish throttle felt hesitation(?) until 3k ish.
Like I said, I can’t wait till I get the break-in service done.
As a matter of fact, I’ll be hitting the 1,200miles mark today.
I don’t have to get the service done before going WOT, do I?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 04:41 PM   #11
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
Great review, fun read. I just had my first oil change last week and can finally push the car and good god, the way it handles on the street (8/10ths or so) has been pretty eye opening, just so little slop in the chassis or steering. Though I agree the steering lacks a little bit of feel, not enough to effect my confidence when going fast, but enough that when i'm driving around normally I wish I had more feedback.

Interesting note about the Camaro's engine rumbling around at idle. I bet that's intentional on Chevy's part. Different car, but my friend had a 2006 GTO (stock) a while ago and I remember it being borderline too refined and quiet. Granted its been four or five years since i drove it, maybe i'm remembering wrong.
M2 feels tighter in every way. Camaro has more slack everywhere, but torque is instant even in the low rpm range. Great for a DD.
Appreciate 2
hlm2c289.50
Moflow2484.50
      10-04-2019, 06:54 PM   #12
Triple Seven
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i, 2020 M2C (sold)

Congrats on the new car!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 10:04 AM   #13
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 19 AW M2C, 21 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwater4me View Post
Dyno sheets show full torque at low 2k range, but my butt dyno at 3/4ish throttle felt hesitation(?) until 3k ish.
Like I said, I can’t wait till I get the break-in service done.
As a matter of fact, I’ll be hitting the 1,200miles mark today.
I don’t have to get the service done before going WOT, do I?
You do, because the break-in oil has all the gunk from the break in. Change it then happily WOT everywhere you go!
      10-07-2019, 01:48 AM   #14
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Seven View Post
Congrats on the new car!
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 01:49 AM   #15
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenw View Post
You do, because the break-in oil has all the gunk from the break in. Change it then happily WOT everywhere you go!
Will get it done this week!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 02:38 PM   #16
Ir0k
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2c

Great review! Thanks for this
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 09:12 AM   #17
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ir0k View Post
Great review! Thanks for this
My pleasure!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 11:49 PM   #18
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Welcome and congratulations on the M2C. I appreciate your opinions in the context of previous cars. I think you will really appreciate the S55 after break-in. As for steering feel, while it is not the same as in my Z4M coupe or even my E39 M5, I find it more than acceptable. In terms of the "complete package," the M2C delivers for those who want smallish, RWD, MT, DD sports sedan.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 08:14 AM   #19
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Welcome and congratulations on the M2C. I appreciate your opinions in the context of previous cars. I think you will really appreciate the S55 after break-in. As for steering feel, while it is not the same as in my Z4M coupe or even my E39 M5, I find it more than acceptable. In terms of the "complete package," the M2C delivers for those who want smallish, RWD, MT, DD sports sedan.

Thank you!
Yes, there’s no doubt the M2 is one of the most fun-to-drive cars currently on sale.
I’ll be picking up the car today after the break-in service. Can’t wait!
Appreciate 0