BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Ⓜ1 and Ⓜ2 buttons: what mode do you drive in? (COMFORT/EFF, SPORT & SPORT+)

11-21-2018, 12:18 PM   #1
Blue2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i

Ⓜ1 and Ⓜ2 buttons: what mode do you drive in? (COMFORT/EFF, SPORT & SPORT+)

I finally picked up my car yesterday. I love it so far.

I came from an M240i and, while in that car the sound and throttle response were improved in sport/sport+ over comfort mode, the difference seems much more drastic in the M2C. The M2C in sport+ engine/steering and MDM seems like an entirely different car than comfort mode.

What modes are you using? Frankly, the car seems boring in the comfort/efficiency settings, so I'll likely always use this combination and have saved it as M1.

As a side note: it seems like the engine can only be in efficiency, sport, or sport plus. On my M240i there was a comfort mode. This is missing from the M2C I'm guessing?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 12:53 PM   #2
///M Houbi
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
M1 during warm up = Efficiency & Comfort
M2 after warm up = Sport+ & Comfort

Love the steering in comfort mode! Sport/Sport+ steering feels not right to me, feels heavy in a weird way...

It seems I have absolutely no usage for sport mode (motor)...
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 01:01 PM   #3
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Houbi View Post
M1 during warm up = Efficiency & Comfort
M2 after warm up = Sport+ & Comfort

Love the steering in comfort mode! Sport/Sport+ steering feels not right to me, feels heavy in a weird way...

It seems I have absolutely no usage for sport mode (motor)...
I feel just opposite about steering. Comfort seems to light in most situations. It's almost too easy to get bounce off line hitting some bumps.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 01:08 PM   #4
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

On start up it’s sport mode for both steering and throttle. Once warm I kick over the throttle response to sport plus. Love the sounds
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 01:09 PM   #5
///M Houbi
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Thanks god we have options!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 01:14 PM   #6
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
On start up it’s sport mode for both steering and throttle. Once warm I kick over the throttle response to sport plus. Love the sounds
Does it sound way better in Sport Plus? I'm waiting to complete break in first. I thought flaps open in sport. I guess I could read the manual at some point.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 02:34 PM   #7
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 19 AW M2C, 21 M340i

Wholeheartedly a fan of Sport+. That's M1 for me, and economy/comfort whatever for whenever the girlfriend gets in the car.
      11-21-2018, 03:04 PM   #8
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2 View Post
I finally picked up my car yesterday. I love it so far.

I came from an M240i and, while in that car the sound and throttle response were improved in sport/sport+ over comfort mode, the difference seems much more drastic in the M2C. The M2C in sport+ engine/steering and MDM seems like an entirely different car than comfort mode.

What modes are you using? Frankly, the car seems boring in the comfort/efficiency settings, so I'll likely always use this combination and have saved it as M1.

As a side note: it seems like the engine can only be in efficiency, sport, or sport plus. On my M240i there was a comfort mode. This is missing from the M2C I'm guessing?
Agreed, the car seems rather boring in Comfort Mode, hence why the first thing I do is select my saved M1 setting: Sport+ for Engine / Sport for Steering. M2 is Sport+ / Sport+. MDM is off with each mode as it numbs the sound.
      11-21-2018, 03:14 PM   #9
///M Houbi
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Btw, I do drive in efficiency mode during warm up phase because it takes less time to -> warm up
Appreciate 3
Robin_NL8714.50
akkando5863.00
ChrisK4449.00
      11-21-2018, 03:16 PM   #10
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GTS 4.0

Garage List
I have my M1 button programmed for Sport+ and comfort. I'm always in M1. Oh, and I've coded the exhaust flaps to always be open...with ASD disabled.
Appreciate 1
BSM2C16.50
      11-21-2018, 03:27 PM   #11
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Btw, I do drive in efficiency mode during warm up phase because it takes less time to -> warm up
Really? Great news if so.

I find BMWs warm so slowly. My M2C is no exception. The Porsches I've owned all warm up to 185+ degrees oil temp within a few miles. And, I drive very slowly to warm my cars.
      11-21-2018, 03:37 PM   #12
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Efficient / sport steering during warm up.

Sport or sport+ when warm, steering always in sport. For me comfort steering is too light and sport+ is like treacle. I notice in reverse gear steering goes super light for manouvering.

I have oil temp gauge on OBC all the time, perfect, I have no use for mileage / ODO / mpg or other useless info there.

Can you turn off the annoying time display bottom right of dash display?
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2018, 03:59 PM   #13
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Comfort steering, Sport+ throttle with DSC off pretty much the whole time.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 04:06 PM   #14
Protatomonster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Kia Stinger 2018

I know there's a way to make the traction control half on? If so how safe is this to drive with, I've never drifted or anything but I'm wondering if this would be a cool way to maybe get used to a safe slip from time to time.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 04:08 PM   #15
///M Houbi
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
Quote:
Really? Great news if so.

I find BMWs warm so slowly. My M2C is no exception. The Porsches I've owned all warm up to 185+ degrees oil temp within a few miles. And, I drive very slowly to warm my cars.
Especially in sport+ you have the oil and other cooling systems doing a great job. But this does not help during the warmup phase.

I'm pretty anal about all this... during the first 2-3 km I don't go over 2'500 and until proper oil temp is reached not over 3'000 rpm.

Probably complete overkill... but won't hurt for sure!
Appreciate 3
devo755.00
Robin_NL8714.50
Paul CS48.00
      11-21-2018, 04:12 PM   #16
///M Houbi
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoracin View Post
I have my M1 button programmed for Sport+ and comfort. I'm always in M1. Oh, and I've coded the exhaust flaps to always be open...with ASD disabled.
Exhaust flaps open during warm up phase also does not help cats and opf/gpf take longer to get to temps that way.

But how the heck could you permanently code the valves always open?? I'd love to have that during summer time, but aside from having to start bimmerlink together with my car I am not aware of such possibility?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 04:28 PM   #17
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Exhaust flaps open during warm up phase also does not help cats and opf/gpf take longer to get to temps that way.

But how the heck could you permanently code the valves always open?? I'd love to have that during summer time, but aside from having to start bimmerlink together with my car I am not aware of such possibility?
Use Carly. I believe you can code the flaps open.
      11-21-2018, 04:52 PM   #18
palum6o
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

It does take some time experimenting with all the modes. I live in the Bay Area and have just about every driving condition, tunnels, bridge, fast winding curves, long straights and stop and go traffic. I have M1 in Sport+/Sport, but will immediately go to efficiency in traffic... I'm a fan of the start/stop feature. I'm coming from a 335is with the classic hydraulic steering, so Sport+ feels more normal, but I like Sport.

I guess the point is, it's great that we have options in this car...
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 07:46 PM   #19
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protatomonster View Post
I know there's a way to make the traction control half on? If so how safe is this to drive with, I've never drifted or anything but I'm wondering if this would be a cool way to maybe get used to a safe slip from time to time.
Sounds like you are describing MDM mode. As always, you’ll need to use caution when driving enthusiastically, but traction/stability will cut in if you get too out of control.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 11:10 PM   #20
Reid
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white cars

Quote:
The best way to learn is honestly with a car with less power at an autocross.

You can use your m2 to learn car control at an autocross also, but it will not be as beginner friendly as a Miata would be. Turn DSC completely off if you’re learning car control, otherwise you will get in the dangerous habit of relying on your safety net.

Signing up for an autocross and practicing car control in a controlled environment is a much better idea than being the next BMW to jump over a median.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 06:48 AM   #21
///M Houbi
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Use Carly. I believe you can code the flaps open.
Thanks. Checked their documentation today. It works like bimmerlink -> as long as your app is connected, but not permanently.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2018, 07:02 AM   #22
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I believe what you are looking for is DSC off ~ MDM off.

DSC deactivated will lessen vehicle stability.

MDM activated will lessen more so.

Last edited by devo; 11-23-2018 at 01:48 PM..
Appreciate 0