BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > 10 Days with MR's BMW M2C DCT Vs M2 DCT Comparison

10-08-2018, 11:33 AM   #45
Alec02
Private First Class
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: M2C SO MT

OK, now little bit seriously. My M2C is EU spec with OPF, SO, MT. I canīt compare my car with OG M2, coming from Subaru WRX STI MY2011 with many modifications towards drivability and also sound (come back to this point later).

Even I donīt agree with krizze in some points of view, I appreciate, that somebody wrote his own opinion and moreover, itīs very well written

I completely agree with the exhaust-sound issues. For me comparing with my STI, soundtrack is real downside, if you turn off ASD, you have nice grand tourismo instead of real sporty machine. Is it the real problem? For me no, I go for different exhaust to solve this issue. Comparing to my HKS, itīs a crap (still talking about EU version with OPF).

But, as I already wrote in another post, I really think, the car itself... Engine shines even still being before break-in service (and I donīt really expect any huge change after that, it is more about the brain of the driver). Stability and predictability is for me really well done, I really love, how the car behaves, when you are on the limit, itīs communicating - and this is really important.

I donīt have have gearbox issues, the only issue with my MT is my left leg.

From the visual point of view? I really like it, although Iīm not pure BMW fan. With one big exception - crazy big ugly muffler, this is completely stupid.

Did it change my smile and happiness from this car. No. Simple answer, the rest is really good. Drove many performance car, this one is f....ing good offer nowadays.

Of course you have to invest to exhaust and other improvements, but for the price, is there any better option with no mistake? I donīt think so...
Appreciate 2
Robin_NL8716.00
Davil6485.50
      10-08-2018, 12:28 PM   #46
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by COChris View Post
And nearly all of these complaints are from people who have no intention of buying the M2C or "backed out" of orders. Edit: they've also seen videos uploaded from a smartphone.

Personally, the car has exceeded my expectations! It's exactly what the M Division should be doing right now. They really are listening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Zero complaints about sound for me as well. Although, the muffler is large, it doesn't detract from any aesthetic enjoyment for me. Call me crazy, but the size of the rear muffler walking up to the car from behind makes the view look even more aggressive and appears wider. I had to type the last sentence a couple times so it was G rated

I want to start another thread revisiting the open/closed deck debate...

Last edited by devo; 10-08-2018 at 12:33 PM..
Appreciate 2
COChris888.50
Davil6485.50
      10-08-2018, 12:46 PM   #47
RPM33
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
I cannot relate to anything the OP stated except for the engine being silent, which will be addressed to with a Lightweight/ MPE exhaust in a few months...

S55 already feels way more alive than N55 in my ex OG M2 did. (Stock+MPE)

Though I miss the sound(see above) the C is more agile, more planted and more playable in MDM than OG M2.
I'm a trackday and driftday driver fwiw.

DCT is smoother and faster so what's the fuzz

Cheers
Robin
Robin/Devo: Seems like you both recommend the M2C over the M2 due to the added power of the S55? Currently about to take the plunge with the M2C and trading in 2018 M2. Main reason is that I want more power like an M3/M4. So do you all recommend the M2C power band over the M2? Want the sensation of being in a more powerful car.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 12:49 PM   #48
Mosely
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 | '20 X5 | '07 E92

Just to chime in on the MDM and software differences, I recently had my LCI M2 software updated to the latest edition (as part of the recall) and the traction control programming is night and day difference. The old software cut power wayyy to early and you'll find numerous threads and posts complaining about it on here. The new software allows so much more wheel spin and slide angle that I almost spun out in Sport mode the other day.

Just something to keep in mind when making comparisons as most OG M2 owners (or previous owners) will have had the old programming. Otherwise, enjoy the driving of these amazing cars!

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 01:10 PM   #49
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM33 View Post
Robin/Devo: Seems like you both recommend the M2C over the M2 due to the added power of the S55? Currently about to take the plunge with the M2C and trading in 2018 M2. Main reason is that I want more power like an M3/M4. So do you all recommend the M2C power band over the M2? Want the sensation of being in a more powerful car.
I also wanted more power and more sustainability on trackdays. I just wanted the S55. So there you go.

Powerband of M2C vs M2 is significantly broader and the power/torque on tap is more....

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 1
devo755.00
      10-08-2018, 01:13 PM   #50
RPM33
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Thanks Robin. Seems like I won't be disappointed in the power of the M2C.
Appreciate 1
devo755.00
      10-08-2018, 01:14 PM   #51
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 -Skoda Octavia VRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosely View Post
Just to chime in on the MDM and software differences, I recently had my LCI M2 software updated to the latest edition (as part of the recall) and the traction control programming is night and day difference. The old software cut power wayyy to early and you'll find numerous threads and posts complaining about it on here. The new software allows so much more wheel spin and slide angle that I almost spun out in Sport mode the other day.

Just something to keep in mind when making comparisons as most OG M2 owners (or previous owners) will have had the old programming. Otherwise, enjoy the driving of these amazing cars!
Did you just go to the dealer and ask for a software update? Also did it change the burbles and sound at all in traction with the update?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 01:18 PM   #52
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM33 View Post
I understand as I traded my LCI M2 for the M2C.

Power increase is significant and the engine just wants to keep revving... I love driving it, much more than the OG M2.

Perfect compliment to my GT3.

Last edited by devo; 10-08-2018 at 01:48 PM..
Appreciate 2
Robin_NL8716.00
M-Pilot4859.00
      10-08-2018, 03:20 PM   #53
dgm3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E36/E46 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by krizze View Post
Hi Guys.

I wanted to conduct a PERSONAL AND NON BIAS REVIEW AND B2B

...says MR's twin.

Exhaust sound of the Euro version is perfectly fine to my ears ... for a turbo engine. I do not understand the need to have something loud at start up...seems so childish. You will never get the glorious sound of the naturally aspirated 6, louder exhaust is not the answer.

Transformation of the car after break-in is just non sense and for those who like the low end torque why not buying a diesel. Rush to higher revs every day for me, that's what an M engine should be.

Engaging car and DCT...well it does not start well

My main critics of the M2C are quite different, connection to the road and steering feel. Nowwhere close to the old M cars. The rest is great, i will get one
Appreciate 1
Craig335d152.50
      10-08-2018, 03:45 PM   #54
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgm3 View Post
Quote:
Hi Guys.

I wanted to conduct a PERSONAL AND NON BIAS REVIEW AND B2B

...says MR's twin.

Exhaust sound of the Euro version is perfectly fine to my ears ... for a turbo engine. I do not understand the need to have something loud at start up...seems so childish. You will never get the glorious sound of the naturally aspirated 6, louder exhaust is not the answer.

Transformation of the car after break-in is just non sense and for those who like the low end torque why not buying a diesel. Rush to higher revs every day for me, that's what an M engine should be.

Engaging car and DCT...well it does not start well

My main critics of the M2C are quite different, connection to the road and steering feel. Nowwhere close to the old M cars. The rest is great, i will get one
Don't really get your issue fella, he's a friend of mine and I think my review has been rather positive, pointed out what I personally didn't like from my own head, why can't the car start up be loud? Why is that childish? Lol, In that case fella, all supercars with a loud start up ( which is 90% ) are " childish" sounds like you need the diesel mate not me .

I had the car for 10'days I lived with it and I stated what I liked and didn't like.

In all honesty it seems to me like anyone who dares to say anything negative about the car is is instantly singled out as an idiot or but-hurt or he's jealous or he doesn't know what he's talking about, I used to think forums were about discussing different points of view and advice with fellow owners not snobby smart arse responses acting like they know it all, I'm over the subject, I was asked to write my honest review which I did, next year I'll buy a Cayman GT4 and relinquish myself from this place, it's absolutely toxic. ( not putting all the eggs in one basket most of the people on here are cool )

Btw a Cayman GT4 is loud on start up must make me a child

Appreciate 5
Meanie546.50
Philb6546.00
Poochie9103.00
cptobvious2531.50
hz101171.00
      10-08-2018, 04:04 PM   #55
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Btw a Cayman GT4 is loud on start up must make me a child
It makes you my irritating and obnoxious little twin brother from a different mother and father....

MR
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      10-08-2018, 04:28 PM   #56
Mosely
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 | '20 X5 | '07 E92

Quote:
Did you just go to the dealer and ask for a software update? Also did it change the burbles and sound at all in traction with the update?
I had them do it at my annual oil change. I posted my full impressions in another thread but aside from the improved traction control modulation, the burbles are louder and the on and off throttle shifting (I have a manual) is smoother
Appreciate 1
krizze928.00
      10-08-2018, 05:50 PM   #57
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C HS DCT

Quote:
In all honesty it seems to me like anyone who dares to say anything negative about the car is is instantly singled out as an idiot or but-hurt or he's jealous or he doesn't know what he's talking about, I used to think forums were about discussing different points of view and advice with fellow owners not snobby smart arse responses acting like they know it all, I'm over the subject, I was asked to write my honest review which I did, next year I'll buy a Cayman GT4 and relinquish myself from this place, it's absolutely toxic. ( not putting all the eggs in one basket most of the people on here are cool )

I do think you have a very valid point.

I'm often quite surprised and taken aback by the weird / uncalled for vitriol on this forum. Unfortunately, I doubt there's much that can be done about it, as I suspect it's purely a matter of demographics. BMW M crowd tends to run a bit younger and roughly 99.9% male. Angry young men are not known for diplomacy and genteel debate.

To your point, on the Porsche forums, folks seem to be much more easy going and much less prone to outbursts and childish name calling. Planning to get a Cayman myself, and have been spending more and more time over there, and the tone of conversations is much more respectful.

If it's any consolation, you should know that there are many of us who do very much appreciate your review and your willingness to put time and effort into providing your perspective.
Appreciate 6
ChrisK4449.00
Poochie9103.00
COChris888.50
krizze928.00
hz101171.00
TProfit81.50
      10-08-2018, 06:22 PM   #58
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptobvious View Post
Quote:

I do think you have a very valid point.

I'm often quite surprised and taken aback by the weird / uncalled for vitriol on this forum. Unfortunately, I doubt there's much that can be done about it, as I suspect it's purely a matter of demographics. BMW M crowd tends to run a bit younger and roughly 99.9% male. Angry young men are not known for diplomacy and genteel debate.

To your point, on the Porsche forums, folks seem to be much more easy going and much less prone to outbursts and childish name calling. Planning to get a Cayman myself, and have been spending more and more time over there, and the tone of conversations is much more respectful.

If it's any consolation, you should know that there are many of us who do very much appreciate your review and your willingness to put time and effort into providing your perspective.
Thanks for your kind words!

I really do appreciate it, the review was intended to help offer an insight into the car comparing it to my own OG M2, I have no incentive to put either car down

I used to think this was a great place to exchange advice and opinions, now it seems if the opinion deviates from the majority then you're automatically singled out which is sad in a way and sort of defeats the object of a " Discussion".

It's good to hear that the guys over at Porsche are more respectful! I myself haven't opened up an account but I plan to and I am glad you enjoyed it I appreciate the feedback! Hopefully in a years time we can discuss issues on the Porsche forum
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 06:35 PM   #59
COChris
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2C

OP: I think most of us appreciate your review and honesty. I certainly do. I have only driven the OG M2 a couple of times.

However, I would expect comments like this to be polarizing:

"It really is a good package but I feel like its lost its soul and some of its charm."

After all, the soul of any BMW is its power plant. And the S55 is a fantastic engine mated to an impressive diff... no doubt better for your average weekend track day enthusiast — which is a crowd the M Division should be catering to exclusively. Let's take a page from the Porsche play book.

A lot of us have been waiting for the next M car that actually gives a nod to the great cars the M division has developed in the past, and for me, the M2C has delivered.

When I first drove the OG M2, I was stuck comparing it to the 1M. It was never good enough. I probably overlooked just how great the M2 was, when the 1M was becoming our most holy M car, but I'll be damned if the M2C isn't a step in the right direction and a hugely satisfying car to drive.

I think all opinions here should be evaluated equally, but my comments so far have highlighted the lack of insight from members who haven't touched the M2C.

These are all great cars.
Appreciate 6
devo755.00
M-Pilot4859.00
Davil6485.50
krizze928.00
Craig335d152.50
Robin_NL8716.00
      10-08-2018, 08:35 PM   #60
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
I am not sure the OG M2 has a super aggressive DCT application to begin with - drove my dad's OG LCI M2 over the weekend to examine the DCT "shove in the back", and it doesn't have the same punch in the most aggressive settings as my F80 ZCP.

That's not good or bad, depending on your viewpoint - but I don't consider the OG M2 to have a shotgun style DCT anyway. I would be disappointed if the M2C was even more ZF-ish (which I hate by the way), but let's not get it twisted, the OG M2's DCT software isn't as aggressive as the M3's. At least in my experience.
      10-08-2018, 08:40 PM   #61
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
next year I'll buy a Cayman GT4 and relinquish myself from this place, it's absolutely toxic. ( not putting all the eggs in one basket most of the people on here are cool )
That will have an OPF filer too, so....not sure what you're on about....unless you get the original.

You think this place is touchy? Good luck on the Porsche forums - they get into it over a 1mm difference in the tail lights...
      10-08-2018, 09:03 PM   #62
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
I'll buy a Cayman GT4.
718 GT4 is getting OPF's. Rennlist Euro members on allocation lists are worried, word is Euro version will be down on hp and sound. OPF are far more restrictive on NA powerplants.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 09:04 PM   #63
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
I understand as I traded my LCI M2 for the M2C.

Power increase is significant and the engine just wants to keep revving... I love driving it, much more than the OG M2.

Perfect compliment to my GT3.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 10:33 PM   #64
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
Zero complaints about sound for me as well. Although, the muffler is large, it doesn't detract from any aesthetic enjoyment for me. Call me crazy, but the size of the rear muffler walking up to the car from behind makes the view look even more aggressive and appears wider. I had to type the last sentence a couple times so it was G rated
This makes us the 2 people in the world that actually like it.

I see the general reaction similar to the Austin Powers “moley, moley, moley, mole” scene, but looking at Cindy Crawford. (Thanks to mrrizk for the CC reference).

Last edited by Davil; 10-08-2018 at 11:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 11:14 PM   #65
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
Quote:
next year I'll buy a Cayman GT4 and relinquish myself from this place, it's absolutely toxic. ( not putting all the eggs in one basket most of the people on here are cool )
That will have an OPF filer too, so....not sure what you're on about....unless you get the original.

You think this place is touchy? Good luck on the Porsche forums - they get into it over a 1mm difference in the tail lights...
Oh don't worry it will be the original, the one with 3 pedals .
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 11:26 PM   #66
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by COChris View Post
OP: I think most of us appreciate your review and honesty. I certainly do. I have only driven the OG M2 a couple of times.

However, I would expect comments like this to be polarizing:

"It really is a good package but I feel like its lost its soul and some of its charm."

After all, the soul of any BMW is its power plant. And the S55 is a fantastic engine mated to an impressive diff... no doubt better for your average weekend track day enthusiast — which is a crowd the M Division should be catering to exclusively. Let's take a page from the Porsche play book.

A lot of us have been waiting for the next M car that actually gives a nod to the great cars the M division has developed in the past, and for me, the M2C has delivered.

When I first drove the OG M2, I was stuck comparing it to the 1M. It was never good enough. I probably overlooked just how great the M2 was, when the 1M was becoming our most holy M car, but I'll be damned if the M2C isn't a step in the right direction and a hugely satisfying car to drive.

I think all opinions here should be evaluated equally, but my comments so far have highlighted the lack of insight from members who haven't touched the M2C.

These are all great cars.
I understand where you're coming from, it's possible that I worded it wrong, I was basically trying to explain that, as we all know the M2 was a really fun car it was similar in the way of the 1M that it was a bit of a rebel albeit not as much as the 1M but still was, what I was trying to say is that the M2C is not so much that anymore it's more mature and more grown up like the M4, so to me it's lost some of its cheeky personality.

This isn't a really bad thing and some people will prefer it but like I said I was speaking from my own personal point of view of what I look for in an M car and I prefer the little rebel, I will admit I love revving the S55 there is no doubt about that and I love its raspy nature at very low acceleration it really is a nod to the E46 but for me personally the OG M2 is the car as a package which pulls at my heart more. That's all it is just my opinion, I mentioned that the M2C was excellent and improved in almost every way! And it's more then just a step in the right direction I agree but I just prefer the other one

Hope this clarifies what I meant.
Appreciate 2
cptobvious2531.50
COChris888.50