BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > 10 Days with MR's BMW M2C DCT Vs M2 DCT Comparison

10-08-2018, 12:56 AM   #23
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Ridiculous post. Too many kids here.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 01:09 AM   #24
Craig335d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d Shadow Edition Xdrive

Personal or conflicted with an agenda opinions?
Who knows......

I’m expecting some feedback at a later date on this particular car that an exhaust and a remap has made it the car it should have been.
Appreciate 3
Davil6523.00
Robin_NL8716.00
M-Pilot4859.00
      10-08-2018, 01:47 AM   #25
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig335d View Post
Who knows......

I'm expecting some feedback at a later date on this particular car that an exhaust and a remap has made it the car it should have been.
Isn't that usually the case with any car that someone mods?
Appreciate 2
krizze928.00
Poochie9104.50
      10-08-2018, 02:25 AM   #26
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

I cannot relate to anything the OP stated except for the engine being silent, which will be addressed to with a Lightweight/ MPE exhaust in a few months...

S55 already feels way more alive than N55 in my ex OG M2 did. (Stock+MPE)

Though I miss the sound(see above) the C is more agile, more planted and more playable in MDM than OG M2.
I'm a trackday and driftday driver fwiw.

DCT is smoother and faster so what's the fuzz

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 2
M-Pilot4859.00
ChrisK4449.00
      10-08-2018, 02:26 AM   #27
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig335d View Post
Who knows......

I’m expecting some feedback at a later date on this particular car that an exhaust and a remap has made it the car it should have been.
The latter?

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 02:29 AM   #28
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 -Skoda Octavia VRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
I respect others' opinion but here's my take on these reviews:

1) Never experienced M cars transforming after break-in service (both my cars and my friends' M2s, M3s, M4s). So don't believe in "after break-in transformation".

2) Really don't understand why people are so obsessed with shaper throttle response and loud exhaust in EFFICIENT mode. It's called efficient for a reason. Go drive an M3/M4 and you'll experience the same tamed throttle with quiet exhaust in Efficient. You want sharper response with aggresive exhaust sound? Then put it in Sport+, simple as that. First thing I used to do in my M4 before even starting the car every time was to hit the M1 button to set the throttle to Sport+ and turn off DSC fully. Believe me it's not that hard. After seeing videos of several stock M2Cs revving in Sport+, I also wouldn't call EU spec M2C with OPF quiet.

3) Before this "low end torque" topic emerged, this forum was full of OG M2 owners claiming OG M2 had the better linear power delivery compared to the high low end torque and abrupt power delivery of S55 M3/M4 (btw BMW fixed this issue in the past year with S55 DME software updates as it can be seen from dyno results). If you look at the M2vs M2C dyno results and various reviews, you'll see M2C has a very linear power delivery. Even many reviewers mentioned it's almost like driving a NA car. So what happened? I thought linear power delivery was the behavior you all wanted. Now all of a sudden the early peak torque of OG M2 is the new cool thing (!). Well good news is this is not a characteristic of either engine. It's all software and can be addressed by a tune if it bothers you that much.
I understand where you're coming from, my advice to you is go and drive an M2C with an OPF then come back here and tell me the car isn't quiet in S+, I'm not deaf mate.

You're sat in the cabin and you hear nothing. I drove away from friends and they said you can hear it a bit but not much, but inside the actual car when you're driving and press M2 which for me was S+ on all the only thing that gets louder is the ASD.

When driving through a place with high buildings you could hear it slightly out the window that's it.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 03:09 AM   #29
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuervers View Post
Engaging and exciting sounds like you need 3 pedals
He wants a slower DCT, with hesitations into the shifts. Each kick he is talking about, is actually a cut in power. BMW has obviously continued development of the DCT and has made the shifts seamless. No loss of power between gear shifts is definitely an improvement.
Appreciate 1
TProfit81.50
      10-08-2018, 03:12 AM   #30
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
S55 already feels way more alive than N55 in my ex OG M2 did. (Stock+MPE)
That is because it is. The S55 has so much more M character. It revs for days. I’ve had two different N55 powered cars, one tuned. The N55 just feels lazy compared to S55.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 03:31 AM   #31
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Reading all these comments here and you see there are clearly two sides... On one end we have the people that want engagement from the car in the shape of louder exhausts plus fun everywhere single minute of the drive and on the other side we see those people that want fluid shifts and a linear behavior without the emphasize on that kind of engagement.

The OG M2 was a playful annoying little kid that was shouty while making sure it lefts it mark across the rev band. You could drive it fast on track and on the autobahn, but it was also lovely car on mountain roads and driving through the city having a poser exhaust mode allowing to be the typical BMW driver. Everyone noticed you and the mix of it all is what people loved, although there was a lot of room for improvement!

The M2C however is the older more mature brother, that has grown up and left the little childish behavior behind him. He is more athletic and capable, and has learned to be more mature. His naughty behavior is still there, but the bandwidth and the way it shows it is less and definitely less in your face. One side here loves the M2C for what it currently is, the other one wants the more naughty behavior from the M2 being put back in the M2C allowing it to be more in your face. Of course, up a certain degree.

What do I want? I want a M2C that has some of the naughty characteristics put back into it, because I use it as a daily and all my road cars have always been like what I did to my M2. Loud burbly exhaust yes please, in your face wrap and some mental wheels on their way... That is what I want in that car, someone else might want something else, and we should all respect that.

In the end for the love of our M passion and everyone here, do whatever you want with the car and share how freaking brilliant it is in the way you want to use it. Fit Cup2's and a lowered suspension and make it the best bang for buck BMW M track car out there. Add a tune and a exhaust, and maybe that is your way of bringing in a bit of hooligan into the car, which you enjoy on your daily drives, road trips and mountain road drives. For everyone there is something to change, opt and go for that makes it exactly their best and most favorite package... Exactly how in their eyes the car should have been!

It is undeniable the best tune-able package BMW has launched over the past 10 years. You can left, right and center... It doesn't matter what you do, just throw cash at it and you have something you will love and admire every single time you walk up to it. Of course, you can also not do anything, but if you scroll through this forum I wonder how many people are keeping their car stock You see so many massive changes to all the cars. It is great to see and talk on a daily basis via this forum, Facebook messenger and Whatsapp that everyone has their own personal agenda to make something extremely cool of their car. I am loving it and it fuels my ideas, like that lovely Alcantara arm rest from IND that Meanie is installing. I am now thinking shall I install a complete Alcantara dashboard.

MR

Last edited by MR.; 10-08-2018 at 03:39 AM..
Appreciate 5
krizze928.00
cptobvious2531.50
Meanie546.50
TProfit81.50
      10-08-2018, 03:31 AM   #32
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

No doubt the S55 motor has bottomless power;
BMW obviously tuned it to release its juice progressively in the M2C, probably so some of you won't end up in a ditch..

I have a few minor things I don't like about the M2C but the motor is definitely not one of them. It's a gift from the M Gods! Believe that..

I remember my Cobb tuned twin turbo N54 was doing 450tq/hp and that ish would pull like a freight train, whenever I stumble onto an open road and hit BMW Vtec..

Retune the Detune, then renew your life insurance and everything will be right in the world

Now you can tune your car from an APP to OBD port.. Good times to be an enthusiast..
Appreciate 1
TProfit81.50
      10-08-2018, 06:22 AM   #33
Al1969
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Personally, I am searching for a new M2 replacement, 99% ready to sign a new M2C order, so owner feedback is critical, especially from m2 OG owners...

First thank you for the honest feedback, up to us to take what we need from it ...

I just feel a bit frustrated when comparing apple with bananas, obviously an Akra vs stock exhaust will make the sound more enjoyable ... on any car !!! Having heard the M2C myself it was louder than my M2 ...

For the other aspects, i wonder if the car gets less fun due to its new engine/setup ... more power does not mean more fun unfortunately and I really enjoyed everything about my LCI except ... the DCT gear box... which seems to be also an issue for OP.

So my future M2C will be manual ... no doubt ...

Also, I consider painting the exhaust in black (if BMW does this) but frankly even if totally fan of M2 shape, i don't give a damm about this exhaust visual issue ...

I am far from being Chris Harris, this M2C should be the perfect tool to bring me to new driving skills (with teacher), and there I read M2C is more balanced in power, better in corners, with less surprising reactions at the end which I think is great ... for a small sport car with approx 440 HP measured for real ... ouch

Last, the M2C seems more able to drive in civilized modes (sound of M2 could become an issue), which I understand makes this car even more Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde ... if this is true, I say congrats to BMW and cannot wait to own one!!!
Appreciate 3
krizze928.00
Craig335d152.50
TProfit81.50
      10-08-2018, 06:26 AM   #34
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post
He wants a slower DCT, with hesitations into the shifts. Each kick he is talking about, is actually a cut in power. BMW has obviously continued development of the DCT and has made the shifts seamless. No loss of power between gear shifts is definitely an improvement.
He is totally right about the difference in change. The M2 DCT clunked and bashed through the gears which was sort of brutal in a weirdly enjoyable way. There no denying it did put a smile on your face. The M2C is just uncannily butter smooth no matter what you do with your right foot. It just surges forward with a silky smooth progress. Nothing upsetting your progress. Lightning changes. I can see the appeal of both. I think the catch cry of the M2C is refinement. It’s an iron fist in velvet glove. The M2 was more rough suede. On a personal level I love this about the M2C. But I can understand both sides of the dialogue. It’s James Bond versus Rambo.
Appreciate 2
cptobvious2531.50
krizze928.00
      10-08-2018, 08:21 AM   #35
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

With ASD off, I'm really enjoying the sounds this car makes once it's warmed up and in sport and sport+ mode. I can't compare it to the M2 I never had, but it certainly isn't a "can't hear anything from inside" car. That's something I have a LOT of experience with after driving my 340 for a few years. On that car, you had to basically be hitting the kick-down switch to hear anything at all (stock). This may be a point where the slightly more mature M2C is exactly what I do want. For me, it hits the sweet spot between not hearing anything (340) and needing ear plugs while driving (I've driven a few of those).

I hope the louder aftermarket exhausts that I'm sure will be available will help some of you find your sweet spot.
Appreciate 2
cptobvious2531.50
Davil6523.00
      10-08-2018, 09:13 AM   #36
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Round Robin...

This thread cracks me up. BMW gave us everything we asked for with the M2C, and people now complain it's not like the OG M2 - which people also complained about??
COChris888.50
cptobvious2531.50
M-Pilot4859.00
devo755.00
Meanie546.50
Phound0.00
dmboone254972.00
TProfit81.50
      10-08-2018, 09:19 AM   #37
Al1969
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Round Robin...

This thread cracks me up. BMW gave us everything we asked for with the M2C, and people now complain it's not like the OG M2 - which people also complained about??
Well not everything... sound and exhaust style is a complain ... worldwide
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 09:28 AM   #38
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1969 View Post
Well not everything... sound and exhaust style is a complain ... worldwide
Sound and Exhaust are subjective and not everyone is complaining about them.

Worldwide? EU cars sound totally different that NA cars. Maybe you should start a poll.

I have zero issues with the Sound. The exhaust is bigger than I would like, but I don't follow behind the car while I drive.
bri10425929.50
Robin_NL8716.00
BlkSVT388.50
cptobvious2531.50
M-Pilot4859.00
VIERsr2621.50
devo755.00
      10-08-2018, 09:59 AM   #39
COChris
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Round Robin...

And nearly all of these complaints are from people who have no intention of buying the M2C or "backed out" of orders. Edit: they've also seen videos uploaded from a smartphone.

Personally, the car has exceeded my expectations! It's exactly what the M Division should be doing right now. They really are listening.
Appreciate 9
ChrisK4449.00
Robin_NL8716.00
BlkSVT388.50
M-Pilot4859.00
devo755.00
Meanie546.50
Phound0.00
Davil6523.00
TProfit81.50
      10-08-2018, 10:00 AM   #40
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by COChris View Post
And nearly all of these complaints are from people who have no intention of buying the M2C or "backed out" of orders.

Personally, the car has exceeded my expectations! It's exactly what the M Division should be doing right now. They really are listening.
      10-08-2018, 10:06 AM   #41
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

For example, from Botswana, Greenland and Tasmania I haven't read any complaints. So I think 'worldwide' is a bit of an exaggeration.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 4
cptobvious2531.50
ChrisK4449.00
COChris888.50
Davil6523.00
      10-08-2018, 10:40 AM   #42
tennisfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

I know I'll be lambasted for even suggesting this, BUT for those arguing about daily driving characteristics and wanting more fun on the street:

Why wouldnt you consider a m240i?

Its B58 engine is really the best of both worlds and a great middle ground between a N55 and S55 engine.

Zero turbo lag, loads of torque, and capable of making much more power than a N55 can without modifications.

Add in it being 1-200lbs lighter than a M2C and it is a load of fun on the street.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 10:47 AM   #43
COChris
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post
I know I'll be lambasted for even suggesting this, BUT for those arguing about daily driving characteristics and wanting more fun on the street:

Why wouldnt you consider a m240i?

Its B58 engine is really the best of both worlds and a great middle ground between a N55 and S55 engine.

Zero turbo lag, loads of torque, and capable of making much more power than a N55 can without modifications.

Add in it being 1-200lbs lighter than a M2C and it is a load of fun on the street.
Great suggestion. Much like the e46 330 ZHP. Fantastic car and much more livable on the street than the e46 M3 — the car where everyone thinks you're trying to race them from a stop light while you rev it out just trying to get to second gear.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 11:02 AM   #44
Alec02
Private First Class
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: M2C SO MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
For example, from Botswana, Greenland and Tasmania I haven't read any complaints. So I think 'worldwide' is a bit of an exaggeration.

Cheers
Robin
No complaints from Slovakia also. Truth is, it is mixture of Tasmania and Botswana 😁

And the pattern is rather small, with my only one known M2C here 🤪
Appreciate 0