BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > LED Adaptive Headlights w/ Variable Light Distribution (VLD) - High Beam Assist (HBA)

11-20-2018, 11:08 AM   #133
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 '18

Last but not least. Just in case you wondered where the images came from...and other interesting info...
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/torega.w...-teardown/amp/

and just in case you found that interesting- here is the other images from a BMW MINI.

https://torega.wordpress.com/2016/10...ight-teardown/

Last edited by GregoryK; 11-20-2018 at 11:46 AM..
Appreciate 2
lemetier2614.00
Poochie9103.00
      11-20-2018, 12:16 PM   #134
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryK View Post
Last but not least. Just in case you wondered where the images came from...
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/torega.w...-teardown/amp/
Wow, nice find!

This is why I needed the context to go with the photo!

The genius "G-man" who posted the original photos, claimed that they were two different internal PCB, when they were just in fact one unit, just in reverse..

Had he not been so cagey with this link, it would of saved us a lot of confusion.. This is why I can't just take anyone's word, especially some poser on the internet.

It appears that the US/Canada LED headlights does have the proper hardware to code VLD & Anti-Dazzle and this who debate was a unnecessary circle jerk..
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2018, 12:22 PM   #135
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Now, if someone would just give up the codes.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 01:16 PM   #136
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by laszlof View Post

VLD:

Front Electronic Module > Expert Mode >

3073 LaMaster1 > [COLOR="DarkRed"]LUT_FLC_FORWARDLIGHTING_Y >[/COLOR] 9C,9C,9C (Both)

3073 LaMaster1 > [COLOR="DarkRed"]C_AFS_ENA >[/COLOR] Enable (Both)

Anti-Dazzle:

In [COLOR="DarkRed"]C_HBA_GRHB_ENA [/COLOR]I made no changes. The default seems to be having the two lines that contain "F020Codierwert" and "F030Codierwert" checked.

In [COLOR="DarkRed"]C_HBA_ENA [/COLOR]Unchecked the line that contain "disable" and checked the the line that contain "F020_enable (0x01)" .

In [COLOR="DarkRed"]C_HBA_ADAPT_SHUT_ENA[/COLOR] Unchecked the two lines containing "disable", and checked the line containing "F030_enable".
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 02:55 PM   #137
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
VLD:

3073 LaMaster1 > LUT_FLC_FORWARDLIGHTING_Y > 9C,9C,9C (Both)

3073 LaMaster1 > C_AFS_ENA > Enable (Both)

Anti-Dazzle:

In C_HBA_GRHB_ENA I made no changes. The default seems to be having the two lines that contain "F020Codierwert" and "F030Codierwert" checked.

In C_HBA_ENA Unchecked the line that contain "disable" and checked the the line that contain "F020_enable (0x01)" .

In C_HBA_ADAPT_SHUT_ENA Unchecked the two lines containing "disable", and checked the line containing "F030_enable".
Just to add to this and there is no proof that my coding the FLE modules will work. My friend said that there were about 100 changes (at least) between the ways the US and the EU modules are coded. Honestly wondering if Bimmercode would make those changes? Maybe they aren't required? Just putting it our there.
All good news though! We are on the right track.

"I would rather cry in a BMW than smile on a bicycle." Ma Nuo
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 03:16 PM   #138
bmxcamel
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI, G01 m40i, E90 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by laszlof View Post

VLD:

3073 LaMaster1 > [COLOR="DarkRed"]LUT_FLC_FORWARDLIGHTING_Y >[/COLOR] 9C,9C,9C (Both)

3073 LaMaster1 > [COLOR="DarkRed"]C_AFS_ENA >[/COLOR] Enable (Both)

Anti-Dazzle:

In [COLOR="DarkRed"]C_HBA_GRHB_ENA [/COLOR]I made no changes. The default seems to be having the two lines that contain "F020Codierwert" and "F030Codierwert" checked.

In [COLOR="DarkRed"]C_HBA_ENA [/COLOR]Unchecked the line that contain "disable" and checked the the line that contain "F020_enable (0x01)" .

In [COLOR="DarkRed"]C_HBA_ADAPT_SHUT_ENA[/COLOR] Unchecked the two lines containing "disable", and checked the line containing "F030_enable".
More than this will be required. I've attempted this coding twice and you will blind oncoming traffic.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 03:38 PM   #139
Poochie
United_States
Rep

I don't know what to tell you guys, I have Xenon headlights and the same exact coding worked for me.

I literally see it in action, especially when it snows and the beam reflects off the ice covered roads. I also see the beam separating (tunneling) and as I approach an upcoming vehicle's tail light.

The only issue I've encounter is sometimes the reflection off street signs tricks the camera into believing it's an oncoming vehicles and the corresponding side high-beam shuts off, until I pass it.

I'm 100% sure it works on my end; we've all already wasted enough time on this topic, I would not mislead you guys if I thought it would not work.

I will keep researching this issue with the LCI LED headlight and update the thread on any findings.

Edit: Maybe this might shed some light on the issue:

Anti-Dazzle LEDs - WIN https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1151903

****Update****

[COLOR="DarkRed"]The coding is different for Pre-LCI and LCI LED headlights, it requires ALOT more parameters to be change for it to function properly:[/COLOR]

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...8;d=1452268635
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 06:13 PM   #140
bmxcamel
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I don't know what to tell you guys, I have Xenon headlights and the same exact coding worked for me.

I literally see it in action, especially when it snows and the beam reflects off the ice covered roads. I also see the beam separating (tunneling) and as I approach an upcoming vehicle's tail light.

The only issue I've encounter is sometimes the reflection off street signs tricks the camera into believing it's an oncoming vehicles and the corresponding side high-beam shuts off, until I pass it.

I'm 100% sure it works on my end; we've all already wasted enough time on this topic, I would not mislead you guys if I thought it would not work.

I will keep researching this issue with the LCI LED headlight and update the thread on any findings.

****Update****

[COLOR="DarkRed"]The coding is different for Pre-LCI and LCI LED headlights, it requires ALOT more parameters to be change for it to function properly:[/COLOR]

This sounds more correct. Who will be our guinea pig?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 08:57 PM   #141
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:

****Update****

The coding is different for Pre-LCI and LCI LED headlights, it requires ALOT more parameters to be change for it to function properly:

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...1&d=1452268635
You have a pre-LCI car, your lights are completely different. Why is this so surprising that the coding might not be the same as well?
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 09:26 PM   #142
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
I am not sure what exactly we are looking at here but one thing is for sure the last 2 images are not different sides of the same piece. They are 2 different parts.
These "last two images" are pretty clearly two sides of the same part, the last two images from my post you quoted (which were "image 2 & 4" from lemetier's original post).
I've marked up the images with colors so you can see the screw holes, and I cropped out the reflector on one of the images. Note the green "C" shaped cutout, and the small screw that holds the connector PCB in place (with corresponding relief cast into the metal on the other side to provide a hole for that screw to go in).
Definitely two sides of that same metal piece.

However, given what we've seen from the other page (here), I don't know that I believe that these two images are actually part of the US/NAR-spec Adaptive lights on the LCI 2-series. I don't know why lemetier is claiming they are the same? Until someone here rips apart a headlight and takes pics, it's hard to know for sure.

Quote:
And one more thing. As the US and EU headlamps look the same from the outside I would argue that the interiors would look similar (the mounting points and such would be the same. So am I missing something here? These 2 units are not replacement of each other surely.
There would be a different reflector assembly and other plastics surrounding the RoW-spec part (with the "array" of LEDs). A decent amount of the internal volume of modern LED headlights is actually empty, it's all about focusing the light correctly. With a different LED assembly comes a different projection method, so the internals are probably going to be different.

It's also worth remembering that they are different part numbers. So there is no guarantee that the internals are "swappable" or that they use the exact same mount points or any of that shit. The RoW-spec and NAR-spec lights are not the same part number, so it's possible that the guts are different enough that they don't "match up."

I do agree now (after seeing the source of these images on that other website) that these may be from two different lights though. But, it's also possible that the same lighting module is put into a different housing for NAR-spec LCI "Adaptive" 2-series lights, even though this teardown seems to be from a Mini.
Attached Images

Last edited by ZPrime; 11-20-2018 at 09:47 PM..
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00
      11-20-2018, 10:02 PM   #143
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep

ZPrime. I agree you are completely correct on the Mini internal. I did not catch that cutout - looked solid on the work computer. Good spotting.
I generally agree with what you say but I do understand the manufacturing thought process. They try to make stuff the same and make more with less variations. That is why you still get the satellite radio hardware on a MINI even if you did not order it. There is tons of this kind of thing all over our cars. This is why these headlamps are so interesting to me. There are definitely visual differences but the internal layouts are unknow to us all at this point. I am still betting they are more similar than what we think. I will see how mine look and operate with the EU coding when I get to a dark roadway with some other cars.

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 01:23 AM   #144
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
Quote:

****Update****

You have a pre-LCI car, your lights are completely different. Why is this so surprising that the coding might not be the same as well?
Owners of LCI vehicles have claimed that the previous coding I supplied to them worked but I guess they were really mistaken. Hence the reason I assumed the coding for LCI & Pre-LCI headlights were the same.

We are blindly reverse-engineering BMW's design without verifiable data, so there is a lot of trial and error involved.

The problem is when you depend on other people for feedback and they give you the incorrect data and you can't independently verify it yourself, it interferes with your hypothesis and leads you believe something that's not correct.

Like you said, until someone actually cracks open both headlights (US & Euro) and compare them side by side, there is no definitive way of verifying any of the claims.

I am going leave the issue to rest, so I don't get misled down the rabbit hole (again), until someone has actual irrefutable proof of the differences in hardware.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 08:01 AM   #145
MiStR StEvO
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

So for now coding just the VLD is recommended instead of both for LCI models in the US?
2018 LBB M2 DCT
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 02:16 PM   #146
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiStR StEvO View Post
So for now coding just the VLD is recommended instead of both for LCI models in the US?
If you want to make sure you're not blinding other drivers, yes.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 02:46 PM   #147
bmxcamel
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Someone with an LCI and esys should give this a try

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 08:31 PM   #148
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxcamel View Post

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...1&d=1452268635
This is basically what I did. This however is more time consuming. FDL coding these modules with the EU VO's took 5 minutes.

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 08:33 PM   #149
bmxcamel
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

This is basically what I did. This however is more time consuming. FDL coding these modules with the EU VO's took 5 minutes.
Get out there and test it when you can! Would be very interested to hear your results. Perhaps bring a GoPro so those of us who've seen this feature work properly on other models can give you some feedback
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 08:58 PM   #150
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Get out there and test it when you can! Would be very interested to hear your results. Perhaps bring a GoPro so those of us who've seen this feature work properly on other models can give you some feedback
Will do!

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2018, 11:18 AM   #151
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

So, I have a 2018 LCI w/ adaptive headlights that was in an accident and the headlight was cracked. The car is still at the dealer getting repaired, but I went to the dealer just now to ask if I can have the headlight. He said he has to check if there is a core deposit on it, if not I can have it. I asked if he could check that now so I could take it today, but for some reason it has to wait until my car is finished. So I'll try to get my headlight and dissect it so we know what's inside of a USA model.
Appreciate 3
PLF693766.00
Poochie9103.00
ZPrime611.50
      11-23-2018, 02:03 PM   #152
GregoryK
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
So, I have a 2018 LCI w/ adaptive headlights that was in an accident and the headlight was cracked. The car is still at the dealer getting repaired, but I went to the dealer just now to ask if I can have the headlight. He said he has to check if there is a core deposit on it, if not I can have it. I asked if he could check that now so I could take it today, but for some reason it has to wait until my car is finished. So I'll try to get my headlight and dissect it so we know what's inside of a USA model.
This is so great as one of us was going to take a hammer to our LED headlamps! Are your headlamps Adaptive?

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2018, 02:20 PM   #153
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
This is so great as one of us was going to take a hammer to our LED headlamps! Are your headlamps Adaptive?
Yes, they are adaptive. The car is still 2-3 weeks away from being finished (which is the same thing I was told 2-3 weeks ago) So maybe someone else might get a headlight before I do... Kinda crappy, the car was hit Sept 2nd, been in the shop since like Sept 3rd and it's still not fixed yet. Granted, the first month was me battling with insurance (which still isn't settled), I put a $10k deposit down out of pocket so they can start working on Oct 12th.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 02:36 AM   #154
bjams
Private
Rep
Drives: OG M2 LBB

Quote:
Owners of LCI vehicles have claimed that the previous coding I supplied to them worked but I guess they were really mistaken. Hence the reason I assumed the coding for LCI & Pre-LCI headlights were the same.
I was one of those people and I continue to think mine is working properly.

For example, tonight I was on the expressway with adaptive turned on. We hit a stretch with less light, and at that time I was in the left lane maybe 2-3 lengths behind another car. First my left high beam turned on, aimed at the high barrier on the left median (there was some construction, so it was one of those with the green fins). A couple seconds later my right side high beam also came on, and very obviously moved out wide to create a tunnel for the car in front of me, and to light up the right side shoulder. My passenger even commented on it.

Is it possible that mine are not working correctly? Absolutely. But, I have seen no videos of any adaptive LED headlights doing anything mine aren’t doing, with one exception.

In the videos I’ve seen of European cars with this feature, the lights seem to fade on/off smoothly before/during/after changes. Mine definitely do not fade. They snap, always. So perhaps the more extensive coding that needs to be done on the US model is to give the right values for different states of lighting, so that and the fades will happen once that additonal data is in the electronics.
Appreciate 0