BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M3 Owner thoughts on the M2

11-19-2017, 11:02 AM   #1
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

M3 Owner thoughts on the M2

Looking at some of the M2 vs M3/4 discussions, I see a common theme of most folks trying to justify their purchase and understandably so. Nothing wrong with that. But with that said, they are 2 very different cars with a 12-14k price difference. And yes I say 12-14k because really you should be comparing base cars and not with all that fluff added. BMW could have easily made similar options available to the M2 and it would have ended up being 70-75k car fully loaded. Anyways, I digress. With that much of a price difference one should really not be comparing these cars but yet we do and I think that's a testament to just how good they are and how close they are in the handling department.

First some background....I have primarily owned M's for most of my adult life. Once I got my first E46 M3 there was no looking back. I was always going to buy whatever M3 BMW came out with. I had the pleasure of owning the previous generation V8 M3 as well which was blast to drive. 2 years ago I did my first European delivery with the F80 M3 and that has been a really memorable experience.

Now onto what went on these last three months. I was lucky enough this year to do another European delivery back in August with my buddy for his 2018 LBB M2. Finally an European delivery that will be stress free. ED folks will understand this
From the very first time he fired it up in the Welt I was sold on the sound. This felt like an amazing car and amazing it turned out to be when I had the chance to drive it around in the Alps. All in all, it was a wonderful experience. Only drawback, if any was that I could not go WOT given that it was still in the break-in period and at the time I didn't realize it but I would find out later just how important the WOT portion of the test drive would end up being . Find out below

Fast forward to this month and my dealer sends me an interesting trade-in offer for my M3. I have never traded-in my cars but this offer was really good. Curious, I asked if they had any M2's in stock even though I was 100% sure they didn't. But knowing my luck they did have a M2 coming in (buyer backed out) and they sent me a really aggressive quote. It was close to a straight trade with change (3-4k) to get into a 2018 LBB M2 DCT with exec pack. This really presented a huge decision for me Should I keep my M3 for 4 years like I had planned to or switch now while the offer is so good? Will I regret it?

And lucky for me my buddy with the 2018 M2 lives 20 miles from me. I requested and he obliged. Here is what I did and below are my thoughts and decision. Hopefully this helps others who are trying to compare the two cars.

2016 AW M3 Manual with Exec Pack 11k Miles (MPerf Exhaust and Valve Controller)

2018 LBB M2 with Exec Pack - 2500 miles (Bone Stock)

Disclaimer: The intent here is not to knock one car or the other. The feedback/thoughts here are purely mine. Just sharing my experience in both cars with you so let's not start a M2 vs M3 argument. Let's all be happy with our cars.

- Both cars were driven under exact same conditions and on the exact same road.

- Both have MPSS tires and tires for both were at 80F plus temps though the M3 was down to 3/32 tread on the rear tires.

- Both were driven one way on Sport and Sport+ on way back.

Here are my final thoughts from purely a driving perspective (nothing to do with aesthetics). I repeat, I don't care if one has better leather or color/options. My goal here was to decide on which car made me happier so this feedback in purely from the driving perspective.

On a perfect afternoon with temp in the 50s, we set out towards my favorite backroad. I first jumped into the M2, warmed the tires to 80+ and then drove the car hard, really hard (legally limits)through 25 miles of twisties and straights in familiar backroads (same place I have driven all my M's in the last 10 years). I know the route really well. I made plenty of mental notes on familiar corners and straightaways on that route. Being familiar really helped me remember what I was doing where if that makes sense.

When we returned, I immediately parked the M2 and jumped into my car and did that exact same loop.

My thoughts>>>>>>>

- The M2 felt really capable and surprised me how good it is. I absolutely loved the car in the twisties and the grip is unbelievable

- The M3 felt the same if not better as I have come to expect of it but compared to the M2 it came out corners with noticeably more punch. Very hard to explain but it felt like it wanted to lunge out of the corners

==============================================

- Coming out of the corners onto the very small straights between consecutive corners I floored the M2 and would quickly hit a plateau in the top rpm range and I had to shift up. The power felt somewhat flat in the top range. I found shifting at 6300-6500 to be a lot better than redline.

- In the M3, coming out of corners the car would keep going and going all the way to redline. Noticeably better straight line acceleration in the M3 coming out of the corners as is to be expected given the higher HP and torque but it was very noticeable over the M2.

- The M2 felt very very easy to control and throw around in the corners.

- The M3 tackled the corners easily but did make me feel a tad bit nervous as the power would come on quickly and very suddenly coming out of the corners. Hard to explain this but the lack of power in the M2 seemed to help my confidence

- I felt I could do literally anything with the M2 and not risk crashing it. Translates to optimum power for the twisties around town

- In the M3, I can only floor it for so long before the animal lets loose Translate to need more driver skip here

This really surprised me because I love the exhaust note on the M2 but going WOT, the M3 sounded just as good (inside the cabin) if not better. I still like the M2 exhaust note on idle and overall it has a much much better exhaust note but the MPerf on the M3 at WOT was at another level. That said, I still prefer the M2 exhaust when comparing stock to stock. There is no comparison

Even though the brakes are the same, they felt better on the M3 but this could be because the M2 was relatively new (2k Miles). I would not dwell on this. I think both have awesome brakes.

I found myself shifting a lot more on the M2 - 2,3,4. On the M3 it was always 2 and 3. This had to do with differential gearing I assume for the the Manual vs DCT. I would go manual on the M2 if I had the choice.

Final Thoughts:

All in all I really loved driving the M2 and it is a car I would definitely like to own some day but on this day, the ultimate deciding factor for me was the noticeable lack of power in the straights for the M2 and also coming out of corners. Was absolutely unbelievable in the twisties but as soon as the road straightened out and I floored it, it would go flat rather quickly (top range). I feel like if I got the M2 I would get used to the power rather quickly and it would leave me wanting more. Just finished 2 years in the M3 and I still don't feel like I need more power This is something only someone who has owned and lived with the M3 will understand, not someone taking a test drive at a dealership.

This was a really hard decision for me because I love both cars but perhaps easier at the same time because I already owned one of the cars. If I was a new buyer looking at both cars, I would be drawn more to the M2 from the 12-14k savings perspective. One cannot argue that the M2 offers really good value for money for people who solely care about driving and not the added comfort options/aesthetics that exist in the M3/4.

If money was no object, I would always get the M3

One parting note.........For folks who go test drive the M3/4 at dealerships, make sure you are on Sport+ or atleast on Sport when driving the car. On economy it is rather conservative compared to the M2 on the same mode. And don't be afraid to drive it like it needs to be driven You will get a lot more from your test drive rather than just cruising around.

Some pictures from the day.......
Attached Images

My Amazing European Delivery Story

Last edited by ///M///; 11-19-2017 at 12:31 PM..
Appreciate 7
AngryBaby344.50
Corinne1171.00
D CHOI581.00
rich8566608.50
DrtyJrze707.00
mWHO118.50
      11-19-2017, 11:36 AM   #2
AngryBaby
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Works

Great review. The relative lack of torque at the top of the RPM range for the N55 is my only real driver's complaint about this car, which I personally love significantly more than any other car in BMW's current lineup even so. Will be interested to hear more info about the upcoming Competition to determine if I go that route vs Dinan P2.
Appreciate 1
///M///1862.00
      11-19-2017, 06:39 PM   #3
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

Yes, thanks for the great objective review and the comparo images. Ironically, I ran into someone today that just purchased a MGM M3 with the coral red interior. First time I had seen the combo close up and it looked sweet. Also when he pulled away it sounded pretty damn good, maybe a bit less so than the M2, but not as bad as many seem to post here.

I think keeping your car is the thing to do (great combo white and coral) and wait to see what happens in the next 6 months to a year and reassess then. As far as power goes, you would be stepping backwards as you already know, so what sense does that make unless you really think the M2 balance is that much better?
Appreciate 1
///M///1862.00
      11-19-2017, 07:52 PM   #4
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

As mentioned, the comparison images you posted are excellent. Was just noticing the total lack of visibility, or complete blackness (why many think they are digital), of the M2 LCI gauges. Then I laughed a bit as you can't see them when you're "not driving", yet with the pre-LCI gauges you can't see them while you "are driving". Also makes me ponder if BMW made the update to the new gauge cluster prematurely as a fix to a known customer complaint and now some are experiencing problems.
Appreciate 1
///M///1862.00
      11-19-2017, 07:54 PM   #5
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

I have driven the M3/4 and M2 all back to back fairly close to their limits during a 2 day M School. All three cars are excellent and I say that as a guy who owns and loves their M2. When I asked the instructors at the school what cars they prefer they all said the M2 for autocross and the M4 (with carbon brakes) for the high speed south palm at Thermal. The fact is it shouldn't be a x car against x, what we should be doing is enjoying the fact that we get to choose among so many great cars made by not only BMW but many other manufacturers these days. We live in the golden age of performance cars and I say that as guy who drove a 69 Camaro for my HS years and love muscle cars. For me the M2 is an amazing value proposition and a great driver that I plan on keeping long term, I lusted after the M3/4 for several years but the physical size of the M2 and its ergonomics are a great fit for my needs and desires so I wouldn't give it up for a M3 or M4 but I would love to buy my wife an M4 so I could enjoy both.
Appreciate 5
///M///1862.00
bollinm25.00
tke743738.50
mWHO118.50
seis-speed2430.50
      11-19-2017, 08:01 PM   #6
Gibson6594
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M3

Phew
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 08:50 PM   #7
ImGoingPlaces
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: AMG GTS

really interesting thank you
Appreciate 1
///M///1862.00
      11-19-2017, 09:21 PM   #8
M4Now!
Captain
Rep
Drives: MG / SO F83

Great review, thanks for posting.

Cheers

Bye bye E93 M3 - Hello F83 M4!
Appreciate 1
///M///1862.00
      11-19-2017, 10:59 PM   #9
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

I have no horse in this race since I have test driven an M2 and did not end up buying it, and am the current owner of 3, One Series Cars, including a 1M, a 135i Coupe, and a 135is convertible.

My personal opinion is that none of these cars, 1M, M2, M3, or M4 are rock stars when it comes to straight line acceleration by itself. If that is all that you want, buy a Porsche or a Ferrari or something else. I don't track cars and have no interest in doing so. Where I stress cars is when I am driving on 2 lane roads in the mountains where I live and I end up behind a slower vehicle and need to pass them quickly over a short distance before the next curve presents itself. I am not driving on closed loop race tracks.

Every one of the above cars, even a "lowly" 135i, has way more than enough power to pass whatever it is that I want to pass and to end up going 98 mph at the end of the pass, just before I have to get back into my lane and slow down before the next cop might be hiding. So given that, the real question, from a real driver driving on real roads, becomes, how much fun do I have in the process of doing this "real world" driving?

The M3 is just, to be honest, TOO BIG. It's not a sports car, and it is not a "sports sedan," as BMW used to define it. The current M3/3 Series cars may be fast in a straight line, but they are BIG cars. Do I personally want to drive a big car just to go slightly faster in a straight line that I will never do in real life? NO, I do not. I much prefer agile handling, which is better done in a smaller vehicle.

If I want a big car that I can carry lots of stuff in, I don't want some thing that is very fast going straight, but is saddled with mediocre electric power steering and handles like what I used to think a parcel van handled like. Just bite the bullet and rent an SUV for the day; at least there is no long term commitment.

The M2 is a compromise; it has acceptable but not great electric power steering. All things considered, I'd take a 1M (which I have taken and have and love), or any other 1-Series vehicle. If I had to have a more recent vehicle, I'd take an M2. But a powerful, fast as all get-out parcel van?

No, I'll take a pass.

Last edited by champignon; 11-19-2017 at 11:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 04:51 AM   #10
fun2drv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M5 Comp

Garage List
2023 BMW M5  [10.00]
2023 BMW M5  [0.00]
This was a great review of two great cars! I'm a lucky bastard and have both of them in my garage - '15 M4 and '17 M2. They are different "beasts" and you can't go wrong with either one.

I love driving the M2 as a daily, but it doesn't come close to the M4 when it comes to power delivery.
Appreciate 1
///M///1862.00
      11-20-2017, 10:03 AM   #11
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
The M3 is just, to be honest, TOO BIG. It's not a sports car, and it is not a "sports sedan," as BMW used to define it. The current M3/3 Series cars may be fast in a straight line, but they are BIG cars.
The statement of "BIG car" makes sense when comparing to earlier BMW's but when making a broad statement such as the above "M3 is TOO BIG so it's not a sports car" because of size doesn't make sense to me. Look at the GTR, Ferrari LaFerrari and other famous sports cars. They are all wider, same or more length than the M3. Would you say they are not sports cars? I am all for personal preference of smaller cars but to use a blanket statement of qualifying a sports car by size doen't quite make sense

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 10:41 AM   #12
M2west
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI

M2 - M3

I test drove a new M3 competition package back in June when I was looking to replace my 2015 911 GTS with a daily driver.

While a beautiful car, the exhaust note, power delivery and 4-door profile just weren't appealing enough.

A few months later I drove an M4, but found it rather large and it didn't sing to me at all.

Fast forward late October and by chance I came across a 2018 M2 LCI that had landed the previous day...took a quick look that night and took delivery the next morning.

The M2 hit all the right buttons and I am very happy with my new daily driver!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 02:46 PM   #13
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M/// View Post
The statement of "BIG car" makes sense when comparing to earlier BMW's but when making a broad statement such as the above "M3 is TOO BIG so it's not a sports car" because of size doesn't make sense to me. Look at the GTR, Ferrari LaFerrari and other famous sports cars. They are all wider, same or more length than the M3. Would you say they are not sports cars? I am all for personal preference of smaller cars but to use a blanket statement of qualifying a sports car by size doen't quite make sense
I don't think any of the BMWs we are discussing are "sports cars," per se. Some might be "sports sedans," to my thinking, irrespective of the number of doors on the car.

I go back to the 2002 which I owned as my first car in college, a 1973 with no A/C, no radio, and crank windows, bought for $3800. That car was extremely underpowered by today's standards, however was "sporty" as all get out. Much as I would like to think, I'd probably hate it today, given the sorts of expectations one has for cars, now.

BMW made its name with the 1600, 1800, 2002, and variants. These were subcompact cars. Even the 2-Series and the M2 are larger, but when one gets to size inflation, the 3-Series and the 5-Series take the cake.

I have nothing against an M3, I almost bought an E46 and an E36, but of course those were smaller cars. I just don't think that the size of a current M3 puts it in the same camp as the cars with which BMW established itself as a nimble small sports sedan producer, in fact the company that "invented" the sports sedan.

I am sure that the M3 in its current iteration is a phenomenal car for some people, it just isn't the sort of car I'd be looking for now, and I hope that you continue to enjoy yours!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 03:56 PM   #14
Ben Overlake
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4

I'm digging the LCI updates on that M2.

M3 is simply a cut above from seats to engine to suspension.

I do prefer the M2 front end look, but that stubby rear does nothing for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 12:09 PM   #15
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

As for size, look at the M3 as the old M5.

6MT, four-doors, large trunk, powerful, RWD sedan.

You get a lot of car with the F80, IMO. It is very practical in everyday situations.

Last edited by seis-speed; 11-22-2017 at 02:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 12:48 PM   #16
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

I've never driven the M3 - in fact, I don't even think I've ever even sat in one. I acknowledge it's an amazing car. But looking at the photos of that M2...it's like a piece of automotive art. It just pushes all of our buttons. The M2 is beautiful, aggressive, sexy, mean, angry... Even though we've been saving our pennies and business is good and we can buy most anything we want my wife and I want THIS car. In this color. I think she's crossed over to the point of obsession. Thanks for the photos - mind if we save them to our own personal M2 photo library?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 05:52 PM   #17
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwares View Post
I've never driven the M3 - in fact, I don't even think I've ever even sat in one. I acknowledge it's an amazing car. But looking at the photos of that M2...it's like a piece of automotive art. It just pushes all of our buttons. The M2 is beautiful, aggressive, sexy, mean, angry... Even though we've been saving our pennies and business is good and we can buy most anything we want my wife and I want THIS car. In this color. I think she's crossed over to the point of obsession. Thanks for the photos - mind if we save them to our own personal M2 photo library?
Save away. It's a public forum

Appreciate 1
bobert858.50
      11-23-2017, 05:44 PM   #18
Doji desu
Private
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris

While I was waiting for my M2 I had the opportunity to buy an M3 from the same dealer. Here the price difference at RRP is a big chunk but this cancelled order would have been not much more and budget wasn't an issue. I took the car home. I drove it on the roads where I test drove the M2. I wanted to buy the M3. I really did. Seats were nicer, the rest of the inside much of a muchness.

I couldn't love the M3 more than the M2. It wasn't as chuckable and the power delivery was a bit manic and less predictable. I couldn't get a suspension tune that I was happy with.

Size wasn't an issue because both were going to be a step down from the LSA powered GTS it was replacing. And we have a stable of 4wds.

So I knocked it back.

I started second guessing a week or so later and revisited the test M2.

I lost all doubt. For me the M2 is ideal. Just need to replace the now useless (more useless?) Contis with some 4S's in the new year and get some grip back.

Horses for courses.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 09:31 AM   #19
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Great comments and comparisons
I enjoyed a 128 that led to a M235 that led to a M4 and now a M2. All previous cars were mod'd, the M4 especially including a tune at 500 rwhp, GTS coding etc. I grabbed the M4 cuz it was a low mile great deal at the time where i was waiting forever to get into a M2. I had no plans of changing till it was totaled then thought long and hard and went backwards to the M2 as I was planning on doing 1.5 years ago.

I know it will be a big change and kind of hard to get used without the power, grace and upgraded materials the M4 had.....the mean black monster had such presence but I became dis-satisfied with the M4 when I ventured to the tight narrow curvy mountain roads here in the Carolinas. Even with the coil overs and all the upgrades you just can't get past the size. I loved the car everywhere else.

I want a car that I can enjoy everywhere and feel confident behind the wheel...... sure it is a step back but it is brand new, unique compared to the F80/82 and very uncomplicated. Such a nice change

Love them both and very satisfied so either way you cannot go wrong
Appreciate 1
bollinm25.00
      01-01-2018, 10:44 AM   #20
tke743
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
I have driven the M3/4 and M2 all back to back fairly close to their limits during a 2 day M School. All three cars are excellent and I say that as a guy who owns and loves their M2. When I asked the instructors at the school what cars they prefer they all said the M2 for autocross and the M4 (with carbon brakes) for the high speed south palm at Thermal. The fact is it shouldn't be a x car against x, what we should be doing is enjoying the fact that we get to choose among so many great cars made by not only BMW but many other manufacturers these days. We live in the golden age of performance cars and I say that as guy who drove a 69 Camaro for my HS years and love muscle cars. For me the M2 is an amazing value proposition and a great driver that I plan on keeping long term, I lusted after the M3/4 for several years but the physical size of the M2 and its ergonomics are a great fit for my needs and desires so I wouldn't give it up for a M3 or M4 but I would love to buy my wife an M4 so I could enjoy both.
This is a great review of these cars. I too did the 2 day and got the exact same answer from the instructors. I've owned both the M3 (both a non-comp and a Comp) and an M2. Before the M school I would have told you that the M3 Comp and the M2 drove similarly, except for the engine differences as noted in the OP. After the class I would tell you that they are very different cars. The instructor's notes are dead on.

Super tight, technical, nothing past 3rd gear - M2 all day (Although I need the rumoured upcoming lower seating position for helmet headroom.) There is also the important note that the higher seating position of the M2 caused almost 1/2 of the people in the class motion sickness.

Technical, not super tight, with straights and the M3 Comp will eat the M2 alive. On the full (longer/faster) course in the SC M School we were running mixed groups of M2's and M3's at the same time. The slower students were making up time on the M2's when driving the M3's.

I'm still amazed at the instructors ability to use the pits to keep space between mixed cars and skill levels.
      01-02-2018, 02:43 PM   #21
DOMs335D
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1991 318is; 2017 M2

Garage List
1991 BMW 318is  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW 335is  [0.00]
Very well written and objective opinion. I have also driven both and I agree that the M3/4 is the better car, but since money was an object for me I ended up with my M2. Especially when considering that 12k difference rises quite sharply when I optioned the M4 to a level I would have wanted it.

Thanks for the write up and great pics!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 05:14 PM   #22
rocke29
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2 M/T

Enjoyable read. Side note: My neighbor has an M4 and I often wonder what it would be like to take a spin in that...
Appreciate 0