03-29-2016, 02:09 PM   #67
Carnook
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
One other recent performance car with overboost, the Focus ST which has 15s of overboost (the new Focus RS also has overboost, but now for for 20s segments)

https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...bo-engine.html

That torque curve deserves a sad trombone sound. Or that "you lose" sound from The Price is Right.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2016, 02:44 PM   #68
marcva
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnook View Post
That torque curve deserves a sad trombone sound. Or that "you lose" sound from The Price is Right.
for 90% of suburban driving in most countries, it doesn't look that bad. I don't wind out my car very often unless I'm on a track. No, it's not a screaming 7500k redline, but you don't have to wind the car up to 4k to wake it up.

How much is a Focus ST?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 03:32 PM   #69
weyland
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

A top spec one is around £24k in the UK, a bargain really for a 'warm' DD. Assuming around $27k in US
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 03:44 PM   #70
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

The 1M was absolutely the inspiration for the M235i and the M2, why this would be questioned seems completely ridiculous outside of just having limited knowledge of BMW's history. BMW had a runaway hit that garnered a lot of praise for the 1M and were just limited by production capacity as the car was conceived rather quickly and were limited in how many could be produced. Having said that, I am one of the few who have driven the E9x M3, 1M and F80 M3 in performance situations, and the 1M IMO did have some flaws, particularly the short wheelbase and its tendency to snap oversteer. In the wet or when you lose grip it is a handful compared to the E9x M3. I can imagine the longer wheelbase and wider track of the M2 will go some ways to improve upon the 1M. It was a fun little car, but think the M2 will be an improvement in exerting better car control and approaching the limit without getting you into trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by technik330 View Post
I believe you're viewing this with a closed mind and posting as such; do you really believe that M2 isn't drawing on the success of the 1M?

Enjoy your M2, as you should, but to laugh at 1M owners would only exude a lack of class and decorum. We're all car people here, act like it.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 05:31 PM   #71
cole3488
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcva View Post
This wasn't Chris Harris, based on the byline...Paul Horrell.
I know. that's why I said I cant wait for his review when the show comes out.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 12:50 AM   #72
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
I haven't seen anything published by BMW stating a 30 second over boost. The only thing I could find stated that over boost occurs from 1450 - 4750 rpm which means if you're winding out the engine to redline, you're only getting a few seconds of over boost. The N55B30T0's over boost is modeled after the N54B30T0, so it is only available in certain conditions and gears.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 04:12 AM   #73
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
I haven't seen anything published by BMW stating a 30 second over boost. The only thing I could find stated that over boost occurs from 1450 - 4750 rpm which means if you're winding out the engine to redline, you're only getting a few seconds of over boost. The N55B30T0's over boost is modeled after the N54B30T0, so it is only available in certain conditions and gears.
Look at the overboost description on the Focus ST. It also is only available for a certain rpm range, but can be used for up to 15 seconds. For the Focus RS, it's available for 20 seconds.

What does that mean?

If you are driving on the road, or a track, you can spend quite a bit of time in that rpm range. Basically whenever you drive with the engine in "the heart of the torque curve" you have that added torque. That is the beauty of a turbo engine, you can have fun without wringing the engine to the redline. Driving on twisty roads you can have a lot of fun with a torquey engine, without taking it to the redline every time. And you can spend a lot more than "just a few seconds" in that rpm range driving like that

If Ford has found it useful for 15 and 20 second intervals, I'm sure BMW also has it's very good reasons to make it available for as long as they think is necessary, or safe.

Point is, a overboost function of 15, 20 or 30 seconds isn't a sign of incompetence, neither by the journalist nor by BMW IMO.

BTW, where is the info that it's modeled after the overboost function on the N54B30T0?

Last edited by Boss330; 03-30-2016 at 05:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 05:20 AM   #74
Makman
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BSM M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by clbmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8600RPM
Plain and simple they missed the mark with the f80. It was close but fell short in sound and overall feel. With more practice they are getting the turbo m cars better with the m2 the closest to success yet. Sadly it will be the next Gen m5 and m3 which finally restores the M brand to where it needs to be

Just because you consider the M3/M4 as " missing the mark" doesn't mean all the cars are.

The 1M clearly had better reviews than the M2 was a turbo car that came out BEFORE the f8x M3 and M4 so that doesn't make the M2 " closest to success " it makes the M2 a followup to success

As far as I am concerned, a serious weight reduction and size reduction to get the current M3 from being a 5 series and the current m5 from being a 7 series is what's needed

The simple reason that reviewers say the M2 is more fun is because it's not such a big car !
Size reduction will never happen IMO

BMW's biggest problem is the nomenclature and taxonomy of its models.

1 series is the smallest number and the smallest car. Because of this it is the entry level model and people generally don't understand RWD at this price point, hence selling out and going FWD.

The 1er is not small though and is the lowest number unless they wish to venture to a Zero series or some other naming/classification structure we're stuck with bigger and bigger cars.

In 20 years time how big will the smallest M car be?

It might have been better to stop the odd four door even two door naming and make each series a different size - merge current 1er into 2 series.

I hope they think very carefully when they name the i cars
I believe that in 20 years, making small cars will be easy af. The battery is flat and the engine big as a wmelon
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 08:46 PM   #75
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

One day, maybe I'll open an M2 thread that doesn't involve this F82/1M shortcoming bullshit. Good fucking grief, this car really brought the fanboy out of some of you all.

Anyway, another win for the M2. Can't wait to start seeing them on the roads.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2016, 01:10 AM   #76
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbiage View Post
One day, maybe I'll open an M2 thread that doesn't involve this F82/1M shortcoming bullshit. Good fucking grief, this car really brought the fanboy out of some of you all.

Anyway, another win for the M2. Can't wait to start seeing them on the roads.
The only thing you'll see then is that big fine a$$ of it, hombre

When are you going to pick up your beautiful M3 man?

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2016, 06:40 AM   #77
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post

Cheers
Robin
I'll try my best to keep up as I lose traction all the way into 3rd gear.

The build is going to be submitted in November of this year, so as to avoid at least one winter. I estimate a 5-6 month timeframe on the build, as it will be enduring the Individual program. So perhaps in a year's time, exactly. haha.
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2016, 07:44 AM   #78
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbiage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post

Cheers
Robin
I'll try my best to keep up as I lose traction all the way into 3rd gear.

The build is going to be submitted in November of this year, so as to avoid at least one winter. I estimate a 5-6 month timeframe on the build, as it will be enduring the Individual program. So perhaps in a year's time, exactly. haha.
So in other words your car and @\\\W should be delivered around the same time
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2016, 04:52 PM   #79
buzzard
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 328i "LCI" M-SPORT

Garage List
2007 328i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by weyland View Post
The problem with all the reviews so far, is that they have all taken place on the BMW media day - everyone has had the same experience and is saying the same good words. Just look at the road section, fast, flowing and SMOOTH.

We need to wait until cars are released and our favourite motoring journos have been let loose with them on home soil. Until then, these reviews are only early indications, and whilst it doesn't happen too often, I have read a number of 'first drive' reviews that rated a car highly only to recieve a mediocre reception when they conduct the full blown road test. These are all first drive reviews.
Did you read it?

"BMW people helpfully suggest we set off up the Pacific Coast Highway. That road will be smooth, the views lovely, they say. Sorry, not going. The traffic will be heavy, and the police vigilant.

Instead, I aim the car inland toward a bumpy, heavily cambered and endlessly twisty road that runs for miles through a wooded valley. It has dips and crests and some very three-dimensional corners in endless variety and ever-changing radius. It also has some damp patches and surfaces from the quiet to the coarsely gravelly. In short, it’s going to give the car the Spanish Inquisition."
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2016, 05:00 PM   #80
weyland
Private First Class
Rep

Yeah, bit I'm not so sure I believe it! Brand new car not out yet, drive of in different direction to everyone else! I agree it does sound promising. I guess I'm concerned as my current ride is to compromised for road use on stock suspension despite our being a hell of a machine
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 10:05 PM   #81
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by weyland
Yeah, bit I'm not so sure I believe it! Brand new car not out yet, drive of in different direction to everyone else! I agree it does sound promising. I guess I'm concerned as my current ride is to compromised for road use on stock suspension despite our being a hell of a machine
Are you kidding me ? Every time I get the keys to a car that BMW has for test drives I go exactly the other direction. Cops figure out what's going on when 12 BMWs keep cruising the same street for hours on end.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 10:08 PM   #82
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantm135i
I think its so comical, to see how the 1m owners keep trying to prove to them selves that there car is better than the m2. There is so much evidence that your run is over, and has been for a while. I remember with in 10 min of driving the 1m there were problems with the 1m, not being able to put the power down in a sharp turn, wheel base is to short. 1m sometimes not predictable.
So as brought up earlier, if i see a 1m on the road when iam in my m2 i will just laugh under my breath, knowing the m2 is a much better car.

After seeing the test drive review of the M2 here ...

Fatty Bro's M2 track review http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1243671

Looks like in the first ten minutes of driving the M2, they are saying it can't put the power down.. It's also a bit unpredictable at times ..

I'm truly concerned for your safety, I don't think the M2 falls very from the 1M tree.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 10:37 PM   #83
wantm135i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: x1 35i m sport

Lol yeah, never as good as you expect!
I should have learned this by now. Ugh
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 01:45 AM   #84
weyland
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Are you kidding me ? Every time I get the keys to a car that BMW has for test drives I go exactly the other direction. Cops figure out what's going on when 12 BMWs keep cruising the same street for hours on end.

I presumed this was a road closed type of event. There are never any other cars in shot. I'm really concerned about ride quality, I think their UK road review will be a lot more revealing.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 02:08 AM   #85
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by weyland View Post
I presumed this was a road closed type of event. There are never any other cars in shot. I'm really concerned about ride quality, I think their UK road review will be a lot more revealing.
Have you driven the 1M?
VO BMW 1M
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 02:51 AM   #86
weyland
Private First Class
Rep

No, although a friend has one. I don't see the connection?

My point is, this is a bloody good review, but 99% of all reviews have been conducted in the same conditions. I'll be keeping my top gear mag (and all the others in the UK that have reviewed it for that matter) as it will be great to look back on. It's a very good early indication, but it will change once they do their full uk review.

The review is not representative of the conditions that most will use their cars in. Why do you think BMW took everyone over there?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 07:57 AM   #87
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by weyland
No, although a friend has one. I don't see the connection?

My point is, this is a bloody good review, but 99% of all reviews have been conducted in the same conditions. I'll be keeping my top gear mag (and all the others in the UK that have reviewed it for that matter) as it will be great to look back on. It's a very good early indication, but it will change once they do their full uk review.

The review is not representative of the conditions that most will use their cars in. Why do you think BMW took everyone over there?
The connection is the M2 simply is a 1M redux.

If you have no expectation of what a 2 series is about, then the prior generation 1 series is the best example.

If you find your friends 1M to be *absolutely horrible * then you should be concerned about the M2. Otherwise you should STOP worrying.

An M2 is a sports car from a luxury brand. It's ride may be firm over bumpy pavement but it will be quite good on smooth pavement. It ain't gonna ride like a Lexus and it ain't gonna ride like a Jeep.

The noise level will be a little louder than a 1 or 2 series mostly on throttle as has been indicated in various test drives.
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2016, 07:19 AM   #88
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Meet your TG TV presenters: Q&A with Chris Harris
http://www.topgear.com/car-news/top-...a-chris-harris

When asked what cars are he most looking forward to driving on TG the M2 got a mention.
Appreciate 1