BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Importing BMWs from Canada to US?

01-14-2016, 04:32 PM   #1
BiscottiGelato
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135i M Sport 6MT

Importing BMWs from Canada to US?

Currently resides in Canada and might be moving to the Bay Area later this year. Does it make sense to order the M2 in Canada and then importing it down states side? It's like a $10k difference given the currency these days. 61k CAD = 42k USD, vs 51k sticker for the US M2. Worth much more than what the 4 years free maintenance is gonna give (the Canadian one doesn't even include brakes or wipers).

How much hassle would it be? Is it mandatory to change the gauge to MPH? I love the clean look of only KPH on the speedometer. I heard that the Warranty is transferable also?

Thanks!

Last edited by BiscottiGelato; 01-14-2016 at 06:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 06:21 PM   #2
BBursey
Work hard, play harder
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Bringing the car down is easy - I moved to Houston in November with my 135i. You need a letter from BMW USA confirming compliance, then there's a DOT form and an EPA form to complete, and then you get another form crossing the border. The rest is the normal state / county inspection and registration process.

There's lots of info online.

Cheers,
Bryan
2011 135i M Sport | COBB V3 AP Stage 1+ | ER FMIC and CP | BMS OCC | Dinan Stage 3 Suspension | Dinan High Performance Bushing Kit | M3 Wishbones | Modified CDV | Clutch Stop | APEX EC-7 Wheels w/ Michelin PSS 235/40R18 265/35R18 Tires | Maddad Street Series Exhaust | BMW Performance Kidney Grills | LCI Blacklines | Armrest Delete | Spoiler Delete | 28% Tint
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 06:36 PM   #3
BiscottiGelato
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBursey
Bringing the car down is easy - I moved to Houston in November with my 135i. You need a letter from BMW USA confirming compliance, then there's a DOT form and an EPA form to complete, and then you get another form crossing the border. The rest is the normal state / county inspection and registration process.

There's lots of info online.

Cheers,
Bryan
Did you have to change the speedometer? Taxes in Texas?
      01-16-2016, 08:39 PM   #4
Labeef
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320I Sport/Xenon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscottiGelato View Post
You do not need to change any of the instruments.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 06:24 PM   #5
BBursey
Work hard, play harder
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Labeef is right - no need to change instruments. I coded the digital speedo on mph to help me out.

No duties or sales-type tax on the basis that you don't sell the car in the US; not sure how that works if I do eventually want to sell it here. The only tax is state / local registration-type tax.

Cheers,
Bryan
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 04:16 AM   #6
pbjjj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1, Dark Olive/Mocha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscottiGelato
Currently resides in Canada and might be moving to the Bay Area later this year. Does it make sense to order the M2 in Canada and then importing it down states side? It's like a $10k difference given the currency these days. 61k CAD = 42k USD, vs 51k sticker for the US M2. Worth much more than what the 4 years free maintenance is gonna give (the Canadian one doesn't even include brakes or wipers).

How much hassle would it be? Is it mandatory to change the gauge to MPH? I love the clean look of only KPH on the speedometer. I heard that the Warranty is transferable also?

Thanks!
Keep in mind that you will have to pay California sales tax since your car will be less than a year old when you bring the car to the Bay Area. CA sales tax is exempted if your car is more than 1 year old.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 01:38 PM   #7
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Mz4s which are $24k all day on eBay, ones in Canada are $18k. Very tempting.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 10:39 AM   #8
BiscottiGelato
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjjj
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscottiGelato

Thanks!
Keep in mind that you will have to pay California sales tax since your car will be less than a year old when you bring the car to the Bay Area. CA sales tax is exempted if your car is more than 1 year old.
Even if I don't sell? With a TN Visa?

Does it need to be a 1 year old car or I gotta have owned it for 1+ year?
      03-24-2016, 07:42 AM   #9
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, E90 328i, E84 X1

Quote:
Even if I don't sell? With a TN Visa?

Does it need to be a 1 year old car or I gotta have owned it for 1+ year?
Car has to be 1+ year old

Can you not just register the M2 in Canada and then after it is a year old register it in the States. You should be fine to drive around with Canadian plates.
08 M Coupe • Ceramic Black Fabspeed Headers • MCS 1WNR • Poly FCAB • Stoptech BBK • Vibra-Tech • Epic Tune • Apex EC7 • RPI Scoop • Eventuri • Stromung • Rogue X Pipe • Varis Diffuser • CF E92 GTS Wing • CF Roof
Appreciate 0