BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M2 Bullets I need to dodge?

12-11-2019, 02:27 PM   #1
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
M2 Bullets I need to dodge?

So last Friday I was washing my car and almost cracked my windshield with the wiper arm. I literally had no idea such a thing could even happen.

I have always left the wipers up while wiping off my cars in the past and never had an issue, but apparently the wiper blade on the 2 series is attached to the arm so lightly that you have to be careful not to detach it when wiping it off.

Also, my first mod when I got the car was to tint the windows, and I had no idea that in doing so I was putting my amp in danger. Luckily I didn't have any issues there either, but many have not been so lucky.

Is there anything ELSE that's weird about this car that I'm missing? Some innocuous part of normal car ownership that can cause damage to the M2 if I'm not careful?

Pic for attention.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 02:35 PM   #2
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Nothing else that I know of. Lots of us have had a problem with the right turn signal malfunction but it is not an owner caused problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 02:42 PM   #3
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Nothing else that I know of. Lots of us have had a problem with the right turn signal malfunction but it is not an owner caused problem.
I had that as well. The dealer replaced the right rear tail-light assembly, even though he said my build number was out of the affected range. I told him that even some of the M2C's have had the problem, so the range is bigger than he thinks.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 02:44 PM   #4
bicurious
Registered
Rep
Drives: LCI, DCT, SBM, MPE

You brought up a bad memory for me! I cracked my windshield while washing my car. Just like you described the wiper blade detaches very easily. Mine detached while I was drying the windshield, the arm slapped down, and the glass cracked.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 03:10 PM   #5
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicurious View Post
You brought up a bad memory for me! I cracked my windshield while washing my car. Just like you described the wiper blade detaches very easily. Mine detached while I was drying the windshield, the arm slapped down, and the glass cracked.
Damn, sorry to hear it.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 03:11 PM   #6
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Oh, and one I forgot. Apparently the gauge cluster is coated with a substance so sensitive that even wiping it with a micro fiber cloth will damage it irreparably. Compressed air only folks.
Appreciate 8
gphung193.50
ried791.50
wibmag0.00
qnet676.00
      12-11-2019, 05:57 PM   #7
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

Do not curb your wheels.

That should be obvious for any car and any wheel but 437m are super expensive and because of their design (mashined/polished face with tinted clear coat) they are difficult to refinish.

Protect your hood, bumper, and fenders. The paint is thin and fragile.

Disconnect the battery whenever you do anything in the interior. There are fucking airbags everywhere.
Appreciate 1
VisualEcho6625.50
      12-11-2019, 07:03 PM   #8
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_lab_rat View Post
Do not curb your wheels.

That should be obvious for any car and any wheel but 437m are super expensive and because of their design (mashined/polished face with tinted clear coat) they are difficult to refinish.

Protect your hood, bumper, and fenders. The paint is thin and fragile.

Disconnect the battery whenever you do anything in the interior. There are fucking airbags everywhere.
Thanks for the tips.

I was searching something about the wheels the other day and it said that everyone thinks they are machine face, but they are in fact painted, so 2 tone black and silver (but equally hard to match). There is at least one wheel refinisher that's famous for matching it perfectly.

I plan to get the Ferric Grey ones anyway, which will be even worse .
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 08:34 PM   #9
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Thanks for the tips.

I was searching something about the wheels the other day and it said that everyone thinks they are machine face, but they are in fact painted, so 2 tone black and silver (but equally hard to match). There is at least one wheel refinisher that's famous for matching it perfectly.

I plan to get the Ferric Grey ones anyway, which will be even worse .
I did that with my wiper blade the other day too haha.

Was it me you're referring to about the painted wheel? If so, I was saying the guys that refinished them used paint over the machined face. From factory they are definitely machined metal, not painted.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 07:12 AM   #10
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Was it me you're referring to about the painted wheel? If so, I was saying the guys that refinished them used paint over the machined face. From factory they are definitely machined metal, not painted.
Yeah, and I'm sorry, I had it wrong. Looking at the wheel it's very hard to tell because it's definitely not straight machine-face, but cloudy looking.

I found the quote that confused me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Lives View Post
Update for anybody in the future:

It turns out that the 437 is a combination of a painted and diamond cut/finished wheel.

What looks like the Grey portion is actually the diamond polished part which has been coated with a tinted lacquer.The black is obviously painted.

I've been fortunate enough to find somebody who knows what they're doing.The whole process took a couple of hours and the finish is flawless.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 02:39 PM   #11
Dblaz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_lab_rat View Post
Do not curb your wheels.

This. Exactly this. Remember that they're flared out wider than you'd expect, too.

I have had mine refinished twice - the local dealer I got the car from knows a guy who has done this a few times. They're basically enameled/painted and diamond cut, so not everyone can do that.

The other thing is about mounting new tires. I bought a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports to replace the Contis that came with my car, and went to the local Mr. Tire. Luckily, the Mr. Tire guy had mounted tires on an M2 previously, and knew that his mounting machine didn't work with the way our rims are structured. Scratched the hell out of the previous customer's M2. So he let me know about this and that he didn't think they should do it. Apparently he had an older mounting machine that had more "bulk" in the middle part (bigger than the small center of our rims), and that part scraped the hell out of the rims.

I had the tires brought to my dealer who mounted it (for free...they're awesome), but that's another thing to keep an eye on.
Appreciate 2
tranck499.00
Ikester192120.50
      12-14-2019, 01:27 AM   #12
///Driver
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
...when I got the car was to tint the windows, and I had no idea that in doing so I was putting my amp in danger. Luckily I didn't have any issues there either, but many have not been so lucky.
Can you please tell me more about this issue? Or perhaps a link to an existing thread? Tinting windows can blow the amp???
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 03:03 PM   #13
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hithere View Post
Can you please tell me more about this issue? Or perhaps a link to an existing thread? Tinting windows can blow the amp???
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1630594
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2019, 01:28 AM   #14
///Driver
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Thank you VE. I have learned something new today. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 10:50 PM   #15
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

Quote:
Oh, and one I forgot. Apparently the gauge cluster is coated with a substance so sensitive that even wiping it with a micro fiber cloth will damage it irreparably. Compressed air only folks.
Yes, that is a problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 10:56 AM   #16
JoshuaevansF87
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Last summer I was washing my car and I did exactly what you said i felt so dumb when it happened but I don't feel as bad now since it's happened to others lol
Appreciate 1
VisualEcho6625.50
      12-24-2019, 01:37 PM   #17
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaevansF87 View Post
Last summer I was washing my car and I did exactly what you said i felt so dumb when it happened but I don't feel as bad now since it's happened to others lol
Yup, not your fault, design flaw.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 04:35 AM   #18
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Cracked my windshield too while washing. Blades weren't even up but my cloth got caught on the wiper and pulled it up and off. That few inches where the arm was pulled up was enough to crack the windshield...
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 06:36 AM   #19
///Driver
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyang92 View Post
Cracked my windshield too while washing. Blades weren't even up but my cloth got caught on the wiper and pulled it up and off. That few inches where the arm was pulled up was enough to crack the windshield...
That's just nuts! So when the blade section comes (falls) off, the arm section springs back and smashes the windshield? Is there a sharp edge at the tip of the arm section? Or is the BMW safety screen too weak?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 07:01 AM   #20
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Driver View Post
That's just nuts! So when the blade section comes (falls) off, the arm section springs back and smashes the windshield? Is there a sharp edge at the tip of the arm section? Or is the BMW safety screen too weak?
It's just a heavy metal end under tension, not a sharp edge that does it.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 10:44 AM   #21
///Driver
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for this clarification. I will be very careful this doesn't happen to me.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 11:46 AM   #22
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Lol, you guys are scaring the crap out of me, haven’t had to replace my wiper blades yet, but I live in Seattle. Replacement wipers happen early and often.

I’ve already replaced the windshield once in my few months with the car thanks to an errant rock.

Maybe I’ll stick a rag or a blanket on the windshield when I do my wiper blades.
Appreciate 0