BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > 10 Months of ownership - a not-short review of how I feel about the car now

07-18-2019, 10:33 AM   #45
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Not entirely true. It’s not a 1:1 tradeoff. Especially with the level of electronics available to the engineers today. Pretty sure the 911, for example, has both better ride quality than the M2 and handles better.

Agree on lowering. If you’re hitting bump stops you are way too low. I’d barely go below factory ride height on these cars.

My comparison of my M2C to my last Porsche 911 C4S:

No it doesn’t ride better. I just trade a 911 C4S for a M2C. Both ride very similar. That is sporty yet compliant enough for a road trip and certainly not abusive. Both going over railroad crossings will give you the same sound and feel. M division dialed in a good balance with the M2C that it doesn’t need adaptive suspension.
Handling is a toss up as the awd of the 911 feels planted and almost numb in comparison to the rwd M2C that feels more alive. My own limited comparisons with hauling some serious speed up my twisty mountain road gives a slight edge to the M2C with more torque coming out of the hard turns but the awd C4S feels like it has more of a safety net if something goes really wrong. The M2C goes like stink and charges up the hill every bit as fast (or faster) than my C4S. Both are absolutely on the same league of performance. It’s just a matter of what feel your after. The C4S feels like a go-cart but less alive than the M2C and you can tell there is a lot of electronic magic going on with keeping the awd, rear engine car digging into the corners. The M2C feels lighter and more alive and transmits it’s handling to your ass better. Steering feel is about equal and that is about as good as a modern electric steering is gonna feel. Build quality is similar depending on how optioned out the Porsche 991 is. My C4S had the full leather package with a lot of extra aluminum trim optioned out. The 911 has a surprisingly high amount of plastic if you don’t option it way up so it’s closer to the M2C than you think. I like the M2C seats much better. I only wish the M2C had a alcantara headliner and possibly a leather dash but other than that the build quality and materials are similar to the 911. The M2C has just the right amount of tech for a proper sports car.
(I have 3 decades of 911 ownership experience as a reference.) After test driving the new 992, I needed to go into a different direction from Porsche hence my M2C purchase. Many long term hardcore Porsche enthusiast are feeling the same disconnection from where the brand is heading with the 911.

Last edited by MystroX5; 07-18-2019 at 11:03 AM..
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50