BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > "proper" indicator stalks - hooray!!

11-28-2018, 08:32 AM   #1
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

"proper" indicator stalks - hooray!!

Been meaning to ask...

When did BMW change back to proper indicator / turn signal stalks?

Ones that stay where you put them then click off back to centre? (like all other cars do) rather than the odd previous type that centres straight away but the turn signal keeps going...
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 08:41 AM   #2
TTBear
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 Huracán/'19 M2Comp/'23 X4M

I noticed that too. I actually preferred the previous iteration, where the indicator always centred itself.
Lexus also does it that way, perhaps other marques.
To each his own. It doesn't detract from the driving experience enough for me to take notice significantly!
      11-28-2018, 08:50 AM   #3
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Been meaning to ask...

When did BMW change back to proper indicator / turn signal stalks?

Ones that stay where you put them then click off back to centre? (like all other cars do) rather than the odd previous type that centres straight away but the turn signal keeps going...
I don't know, but the Internet being society's manifestation of the Short Yellow School Bus, I am sure someone will register on the forum with the single-issue handle DigitalTurnStalkzOrDeath or similar, and then proceed to berate BMW, BMWUSA, BMW owners and the entire nation of Germany on this sole-platform, single-minded, one-track issue for the next 18 months for fitting throwback electromechanical indicator stalks to its lower-order vehicles. Or even for having lower-order vehicles at all.

Personally I much prefer them. I can use them the same way I've used them for 35 years, which was fine, and I don't have to think about how I use them, I just use them. In fact, it took me a while to realise that the indicator stalk and handbrake were pleasingly and straightforwardly manual.
Appreciate 1
Davil6464.50
      11-28-2018, 09:38 AM   #4
Spare°
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2C

Don't understand why they went back to this old school setup. From a UX perspective, this feels completely backwards. I'm now back at blinking right, then left because I pushed the indicator too far.
Pretty sure this is why BMW drivers didn't blink in the first place
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 09:43 AM   #5
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

^^

Forward this video to 6:40 for proof

Appreciate 1
BlkSVT388.50
      11-28-2018, 10:06 AM   #6
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAndrew View Post
Personally I much prefer them. I can use them the same way I've used them for 35 years, which was fine, and I don't have to think about how I use them, I just use them. In fact, it took me a while to realise that the indicator stalk and handbrake were pleasingly and straightforwardly manual.
Bingo. Me too. That was my point. I didn't notice straight away because they just work like every other car I've ever driven. I love the proper stalks and real handbrake. Refreshingly simple. And my wife will now be able to use them without causing chaos at junctions...

I think bmw changed them back because of customer feedback. I never met anyone who liked them. (Some on here though)

You see folks on the motorway in BMWs with their old stalks indicating left/right/left/right in a vain attempt to cancel them, funny.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 10:23 AM   #7
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTBear View Post
I noticed that too. I actually preferred the previous iteration, where the indicator always centred itself.
Lexus also does it that way, perhaps other marques.
To each his own. It doesn't detract from the driving experience enough for me to take notice significantly!
No i agree its a minor detail but worth a mention.

I also love the way when I turn off the idrive display (rarely have it on) it stays off and doesn't come back on at restart.

Previous BMs it came back on just to annoy me at every restart..
Appreciate 1
TTBear414.50