BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M3 Owner thoughts on the M2

01-05-2018, 10:29 AM   #23
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY18 X3 M40i, MY18 M3 ZCP

As a previous owner of 2015 F80 M3 (non competition package) 6MT, I want to say that M3 (similarily M4) is a more powerful motor with better quality damper adjustable ride for in general DD purpose.

I have never taken her to track so cannot really make POV comments on it.

I had the car for 2 years and it is in deed better car in everway except two things.

1. Car is actually bigger than it looks when driven. And feels bigger to drive in traffic. (This is disputable as some want to have bigger car, but if I have to compare F82 and F87 coupes against each other, F87 will not lose any practicality at all.... Unless you use your back seat for other passengers often)
2. F87 sounds wayyyyy better.... Biggest complain that I had on the car. I did not have MPE but with or without sounds way worse than F87...

F80 was my personal enjoyment before I became a father, then I had to give up to make more family oriented choice (which I ended up getting 2016 X4)

I personally do not like F87 stock damper and suspension (could be due to the fact that it is only one setup not adjustable) and do not mind comfort smooth ride so will be going through coilover change and swaybar change following.

I got my MY18 F87 because I have another plan to get a 7 seater SUV (Lookig forward to see X7 coming out. Now I am comparing XC90/ GLS/ Q7, and all-new Lincoln Navigator looks fantastic as well ) exchange wife's X4... after second child. So money play a big role at this point for me. M2 cought my attention as previous M3 owner who loved and missing the feeling great driving M motor experience (Had my BRZ for about an year and traded-in for F87).

Now I am planning for another change to G80 M3 (will need four doors I think by the time) 1-2 years after its first launch when competition model is available.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 05:04 PM   #24
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Having driven the M4, M3 and M2 on track for the 2 day M school it is clear (and the specs show it) that the M4/3 has more power than the M2, not much of a revelation here so of course their is more punch out of the corner, the M4/3 is flat fast and having driven it at just under 140 on the South Palm of Thermal I can say it is very impressive. Especially so when you have carbon ceramic brakes to rely on. Having said that the brilliance of the M2 is the turn and and handling that is superior to that of the M4/3. In speaking with every instructor at the school they all said the M2 was their favorite car for that very reason. What we are talking about here is the choice between excellent cars each with their own strengths and weaknesses.
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2018, 10:01 PM   #25
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
Having driven the M4, M3 and M2 on track for the 2 day M school it is clear (and the specs show it) that the M4/3 has more power than the M2, not much of a revelation here so of course their is more punch out of the corner, the M4/3 is flat fast
I think you missed the point of my post. Specs don't always translate to how the car feels on the road. The track is a different story altogether and over 90% of the folks drive these cars on the street. I had a really good opportunity to compare both cars back to back on the street on familiar roads with no restrictions like what you would face when driving at a dealer. What stood out to me on the M3 may not be important to others. Heck people choose the M3 just because of the leather, so go figure. I just wanted to give my feedback from a pure driving perspective. The countless reviews on the internet have these cars being so close to each other at the track but at the end of the day what matters is how the car feels to you and on that day I decided I like the punching feel a lot more.

Cheers.

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 1