06-05-2016, 05:30 PM   #23
///M2-PILOT
M2 PILOT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 ///M2 HEA LBB M-DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpapad01 View Post
Have you taken the car to the dealer? If not, you have nothing to loose. Talk to the Service Manager. Explain what happen and ask him for a 'goodwill' repair. You never know what he may able to do or not. Its better than having to purchase the whole unit.
I already spoke with them and I will bring the car down in a couple of weeks, they said they will look at it, but if I need the new selector it's a $1K mistake.

I am trying to fix it on my own right now, as I own this mistake and wanted others to learn from it too.
      06-06-2016, 10:58 AM   #24
Shankska
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
2019 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2PILOT View Post
I am not sure the wiring harness to the PC board is included or not. This would be a last resort. Thanks for getting the part number for me though this is a great resource.
YEs, cool website. Never heard of it till now. So I learned something too.

I would assume everything is included in that.

Maybe you could buy it, get what you need and return it?

2019 F87 M2C, Long Beach Blue, Exec, 6MT
2016 F87 M2 - Sold 9/2018
2014 F22 M235i - Sold 5/2016.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 06:00 PM   #25
Msmall143
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW S1000RR

Quote:
Thank you Orangecrush and all who have helped here. Unfortunately three of the micro clips were destroyed and even after getting the wiring codes I was unable to repair the connector.

Looks like I only have a couple of options:

1. Find out if BMW will sell a wiring harness
2. Find the micro clips and repair the 3 terminations
3. Live without lights on my shift knob

If anyone can get a lead on the wiring harness or a parts breakdown with part numbers it would be greatly appreciated. The dealer will sell me the complete shifter (selector switch) for $1040.00 but it probably doesn't even come with the wiring harness, or even the led PC board.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated, I guess the good news is I can still drive the car but i am mad at myself as she's not perfect now (oh and if she gets stolen at night, I bet they won't know how to drive it )
option 4. put it back together best you can and take it to a dealer and tell them your shift knob lights arent working.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 06:09 PM   #26
Msmall143
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpapad01 View Post
Have you taken the car to the dealer? If not, you have nothing to loose. Talk to the Service Manager. Explain what happen and ask him for a 'goodwill' repair. You never know what he may able to do or not. Its better than having to purchase the whole unit.
i wouldnt tell them a thing other than what is wrong. i wouldnt lie, but i also wouldnt lead with admitting fault
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2016, 05:51 AM   #27
///M2-PILOT
M2 PILOT
United_States
Rep

I'm an idiot but and honest one..... I will fix the issue as cheap, accurate and honestly as possible
      06-07-2016, 07:09 AM   #28
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2PILOT
I'm an idiot but and honest one..... I will fix the issue as cheap, accurate and honestly as possible
Thank you. I love honesty. That is like two in 2 days in these here forums. Nice!
      06-07-2016, 02:30 PM   #29
Msmall143
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
when you see a police officer do you pull over and tell him you were speeding a few miles down the road.

Nothing dishonest about just relaying the details of the problem and leaving it at that until they probe. they may ask if you did something and at that point i think its best to be honest.
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2016, 03:25 PM   #30
///M2-PILOT
M2 PILOT
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143 View Post
when you see a police officer do you pull over and tell him you were speeding a few miles down the road.

Nothing dishonest about just relaying the details of the problem and leaving it at that until they probe. they may ask if you did something and at that point i think its best to be honest.
I drive an M2, I would expect any cop to know I was speeding a few miles down the road... No need to tell them....

I installed a CF shifter knob and screwed up the connector, any shop worth its salt would know I screwed it up, if not I wouldn't want them to touch my car and if they were too, I bet I could do a better job myself.
      06-07-2016, 03:57 PM   #31
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143

If a store gives a $10 extra change, like they thought it you gave them a $20, but you gave them a $10, would you give it back.

If you got to your car and realized they forgot to ring an item, would you take it back in?

Or would you wait for them to ask?

Trying to figure out where omission becomes dishonesty for you?
      06-09-2016, 11:13 PM   #32
Msmall143
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
If a store gives a $10 extra change, like they thought it you gave them a $20, but you gave them a $10, would you give it back.

If you got to your car and realized they forgot to ring an item, would you take it back in?

Or would you wait for them to ask?

Trying to figure out where omission becomes dishonesty for you?
In both your scenarios a mistake or error took place so yes an honest action should be taken to correct the mistake and I'd take that corrective action in those scenarios by acknowledging the mistake and do whatever is to be done to make everyone whole again.

New scenario
So op drops his car off
Service tech - "what brings you in today"
Op - "the lights in my shift knob aren't working"
Service tech - "that's odd, we'll have a look"

Now it's possible they put 2 and 2 together but even then they may show some leniency and do a curtiousy fix. This scenario has no lies or mistakes.

I am a very honest person, almost to a fault. I know it may not be coming across like that but I am. If they asked me something like "have you done something to it", "do you know why it's not working", "did you do something to cause is" then I would answer truthfully.

I think we can move on and I hope op finds a nice resolution.

I just wouldn't walk in and say "hey, I was toying with my knob and some stuff came out, so now im certain I broke it. How much will it cost me to have you repair it."

Yes...the crudeness in the above sentence was purposeful
Appreciate 1