Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin
Here's some more food for thought. BMW lists a manual 228i Coupe's weight as 3295 lbs and the manual M235i Coupe's weight as 3505 lbs. If you make the assumption that the same amount of weight was added to the 228i as the m235i to account for likely chosen options (as I believe U.S. weight specifications require), then perhaps the difference in weights is the additional weight of the M235i's engine (and associated components). That would be 210 lbs difference between the two engines.

Perhaps this could be confirmed by the advertised weight distributions of the two cars (by someone smarter than myself). The 228i is listed as 50.4/49.6. And the M235i is listed as 51.9/48.1.

Then I am curious, would a base-base M235i weight just 210 lbs more than its counterpart base-base 228i? If so, it might weigh as little as 3301 lbs with 1/2 a tank of gas.

Now I know parts are being added to the M2 over the M235i but perhaps some of the parts being substituted will be lighter weight. Will we see a 3300-3350lb base-base M2? Perhaps not but one can hope!
The majority of the weight gain from 228 to 235 is in the engine. Since the M2 is carrying the same engine I don't expect such a big difference is weight like compared to the M235 from the 228 in the M2. If anything it will weigh slightly more than a fully loaded M235i. From what I've read it won't even have a CF roof.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 01:26 PM   #46
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
Here's some more food for thought. BMW lists a manual 228i Coupe's weight as 3295 lbs and the manual M235i Coupe's weight as 3505 lbs. If you make the assumption that the same amount of weight was added to the 228i as the m235i to account for likely chosen options (as I believe U.S. weight specifications require), then perhaps the difference in weights is the additional weight of the M235i's engine (and associated components). That would be 210 lbs difference between the two engines.

Perhaps this could be confirmed by the advertised weight distributions of the two cars (by someone smarter than myself). The 228i is listed as 50.4/49.6. And the M235i is listed as 51.9/48.1.

Then I am curious, would a base-base M235i weight just 210 lbs more than its counterpart base-base 228i? If so, it might weigh as little as 3301 lbs with 1/2 a tank of gas.

Now I know parts are being added to the M2 over the M235i but perhaps some of the parts being substituted will be lighter weight. Will we see a 3300-3350lb base-base M2? Perhaps not but one can hope!

Adding options doesn't add a whole lot of weight, perhaps the only exception being power seats versus mechanical. A lot of the weight discussions frustrate me a bit because the reality is with all of the safety requirements these days car manufacturers have a hard time even maintaining the weight from one model generation to the next. The feds keep adding more and more required safety which is a good thing but it runs counter to our desire for less weight. I think the use of carbon reinforced plastics will really be when we see meaningful weight differences. Time will tell if BMW can mass manufacturer cars using these new materials and still turn a profit. I think they will but as I have read about the industry the insurers hate the idea because of repair costs, believe it or not they have a ton of sway on what gets made.
I think the reason you see a 200+ lb difference between the 228 and m235 is because the 228 weight is a base model with no options, small wheels, brakes, etc. the m235 automatically comes with more options, larger wheels, brakes, etc.

The real test is what does a loaded 228 weigh compared to an m235.
Appreciate 0