BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > tank upgrade fuel starvation & safety

05-29-2021, 01:04 PM   #1
Peter_VIE
Private First Class
Austria
Rep
Drives: M2

tank upgrade fuel starvation & safety

There are well known issues on fuel starvation, caused by inadequate pump layout in the tank, also discussed

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ght=starvation

Tank of my car was removed for some basic reconstruction, thus I considered to replace it by the FIA approved tank from M235iR or M2 Racing. Costs would be more than € 10.000, it was not worth for me. My garage has experience with race cars and suggested to convert the OEM Tank.

Two additional pumps were installed and the explosion safe sponge stuffed, sponge will cost about 3 litres. Additional service hole was cut and sealed with a sealed lid. Service hole will have a corresponding hole in the rear seat panel.

Should solve the problem.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
mcvaughan704.00
bentom2335.50
rwalker329.50
DrKevM52276.00
      06-01-2021, 02:47 AM   #2
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_VIE View Post
There are well known issues on fuel starvation, caused by inadequate pump layout in the tank, also discussed

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ght=starvation

Tank of my car was removed for some basic reconstruction, thus I considered to replace it by the FIA approved tank from M235iR or M2 Racing. Costs would be more than € 10.000, it was not worth for me. My garage has experience with race cars and suggested to convert the OEM Tank.

Two additional pumps were installed and the explosion safe sponge stuffed, sponge will cost about 3 litres. Additional service hole was cut and sealed with a sealed lid. Service hole will have a corresponding hole in the rear seat panel.

Should solve the problem.
All the pumps are plumbed in parallel? So they draw from different parts of the tank?

I really wonder about this as over 15+ trackdays at 4 different tracks I have never had issue with this and sometimes I run my car almost dry.

In any case hope it solved your issues.
      06-03-2021, 05:21 AM   #3
Peter_VIE
Private First Class
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post
All the pumps are plumbed in parallel? So they draw from different parts of the tank?

I really wonder about this as over 15+ trackdays at 4 different tracks I have never had issue with this and sometimes I run my car almost dry.

In any case hope it solved your issues.
Pumps draw in three places (1 OEM pump, 2 additional) and dump into the small OEM catch tank.

Mayby BMW changed the position of the original pump sometime during evolution. When tank was opened, we saw the original pump's position made it impossible to draw any fuel on hard braking and fast right turns on half filled tank. Also tank of 235iR and M2CSR have more than one fuel pump in tank.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 11:45 AM   #4
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_VIE View Post
Pumps draw in three places (1 OEM pump, 2 additional) and dump into the small OEM catch tank.

Mayby BMW changed the position of the original pump sometime during evolution. When tank was opened, we saw the original pump's position made it impossible to draw any fuel on hard braking and fast right turns on half filled tank. Also tank of 235iR and M2CSR have more than one fuel pump in tank.
Was this all before or after the aero and slicks? I have an M2C which according to real OEM has the same tank as pre-lci...but a different pump shared with the M3/4. Still doesn't change the pick up points.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...&q=16112284693
      06-06-2021, 02:49 AM   #5
Peter_VIE
Private First Class
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post
Was this all before or after the aero and slicks? I have an M2C which according to real OEM has the same tank as pre-lci...but a different pump shared with the M3/4. Still doesn't change the pick up points.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...&q=16112284693
after change, this might be a reason too.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 04:27 PM   #6
bmwstephen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 95' M3, 17' M2

Peter you are the first I have seen to remove the fuel tank and modify it. How often do you do so because I was thinking you should consider trying out to see if the tank from the f30 would fit (they look almost identical) but it is also larger capacity by 2.5 gallons
Appreciate 1
Maynard3849.50