BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Is now a good time to buy a used m2/m3/m4?

06-17-2020, 10:59 AM   #1
nepats81
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BSM ZCP M4

Is now a good time to buy a used m2/m3/m4?

What do you guys think? I live in NYC and dont need a car for half the year. The other half i spend in NH/ME.

I want a good deal but can wait if necessary.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 08:51 AM   #2
Al Bundy's Dodge
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

My general belief is that its always a good time to buy an M car

Waiting for the perfect deal just deprives you of driving pleasure, and there are reasonable deals to be had now (depending on location) so I say pull the trigger today! Just be prepared to shop at least regionally.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 11:19 AM   #3
CTSean
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LCI BSM MT M2

At least as far as list prices around here are concerned - I see nothing special. Who knows what kind of deal you might be offered though. The reality may very well be they are perfectly happy to sit on ///M inventory, of which the average dealer only has a couple anyway, while discounting their loaners to attract buyers (which is the email i just got from my local dealing in sourthern CT)
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 01:07 PM   #4
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

I think so. Used car priced did plummet due to the lack of spending from the coronavirus, and due to Hertz listing their entire fleet for sale. Prices did rebound a little recently, but not sure how long that will last. A huge chunk of the rebound is pumped up by fed money and hopes of a v-shaped economic recovery. I don't think this is something you just turn around and go back to normal from. And if the recession continues, could spell a big drop in sports car values. If people need a car, they're gonna go for budget friendly practical used cars, not sports cars. So the recession could be a disaster on sports car and new car values. Meaning good time to buy a M2.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 03:04 PM   #5
danielmtzf
Rep
Drives: Honda Element

I've also been in the market for 2018 LCI M2 DCT for a couple of weeks now. I've literally looked at most 18's with dct in the country and they are somewhat set anywhere from 38-50k+ depending on miles, condition, packages, etc. I am also asking myself whether or not this is a good time to buy, or wait a little more and see what COVID does to the used M2 market. Many people say that since M2's are luxury cars, the market for them is not too stirred up since people do not seek expensive cars during a pandemic, I can see that 100%. Bottom line is, no one knows what the M2 market will be in the upcoming months. I remember reading people saying that some BMW dealerships are having good sales even with the pandemic situation going on. As for me, I am hoping to obtain one between now and the end of the year, ideally in the 40k range with decent mileage and hopefully one that is CPO although the CPO certification isn't a BIG priority due to the fact that I'd want to put some mods on the car. My advice, wait for these 2nd quarter earning reports in late June/early July to hit the news and people will see a more realistic impact COVID has had in the market, after that, see if the car market takes a hit.

Just like Al Bundy's Dodge said, aim for a good deal and don't stress about finding the "best" deal out there.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 05:20 AM   #6
Altenburger
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 6-Speed; Camaro z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepats81
What do you guys think? I live in NYC and dont need a car for half the year. The other half i spend in NH/ME.

I want a good deal but can wait if necessary.
I believe so, because dealers are offering special financing and discounts now due to the pandemic pressure. For example, Ford has recently introduced a $500 bonus cash incentive. And you can definitely get a good deal now on a used M2. I'm trying to sell my 1998 Camaro z28, with no luck so far..

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 12:16 PM   #7
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
I've been looking at F8x for about three months now. The pricing is horrible if you ask me or at least in my market (socal). The pricing is all over the price and most are listed above kbb value, which is not warranted if you ask me. Wait it out there is much more damage to come from covid.

The moment all those rent deferrals are up things could get really bad, but just my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 07:41 PM   #8
xfisgsm
Registered
Rep
Drives: M2

Just bought a M2 18 with fully loaded options (12K+, MPE, carbon fiber trim, M Driver Package, 763M wheels) and 15K miles on it for $49K. How did I do?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 07:15 PM   #9
annabellapizza
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
I've been looking at F8x for about three months now. The pricing is horrible if you ask me or at least in my market (socal). The pricing is all over the price and most are listed above kbb value, which is not warranted if you ask me. Wait it out there is much more damage to come from covid.

The moment all those rent deferrals are up things could get really bad, but just my opinion.
I completely agree. Corona has really slowed down the sales of all sports cars it seems like, or it at least all the modern m cars are holding their values pretty well. Was looking at m2 comps to be low 40s but cant even find many for sale.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 07:16 PM   #10
annabellapizza
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfisgsm View Post
Just bought a M2 18 with fully loaded options (12K+, MPE, carbon fiber trim, M Driver Package, 763M wheels) and 15K miles on it for $49K. How did I do?
If it was a comp pack i would say great buy but I feel like the mileage is a bit high for it. The add-ons are great tho! Id say to just enjoy your new amazing car, don't worry about what you paid ( even if it might be a little bit over lol)
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 01:09 PM   #11
keylime503
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabellapizza View Post
If it was a comp pack i would say great buy but I feel like the mileage is a bit high for it. The add-ons are great tho! Id say to just enjoy your new amazing car, don't worry about what you paid ( even if it might be a little bit over lol)
2018 is OG M2 (LCI). M2C started with MY19. Good luck finding a used M2C under 53k.
Appreciate 1
ADDONE230.00
      12-14-2020, 09:03 AM   #12
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime503 View Post
2018 is OG M2 (LCI). M2C started with MY19. Good luck finding a used M2C under 53k.
The funny thing is you can get 10% off a new one so buying a used one at that price is pretty silly.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 01:35 PM   #13
MONSTAR
#gotboost
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post

I was tracking F80 prices for like the past year. I was looking at 2018+ competitions as they were dropping down to around 50k last December. I was waiting for them to get to around 48k. With COVID, they shot up to 55k+. Likewise, I had been tracking the 718 cayman S at the same price point. They've shot up similarly to like 58k+.

I ended up picking up a 2018 LCI m2 in manual with 11k miles for 42,500 in September instead. Fit my budget better and its still an amazing car.

Hopefully the market will start to normalize in the next year. Especially after the Gxx platform becomes more prevalent

2013 F30 328i (12/2015 - 09/2020) SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 08:57 PM   #14
munja
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTAR View Post
I ended up picking up a 2018 LCI m2 in manual with 11k miles for 42,500 in September instead. Fit my budget better and its still an amazing car.
Is your 2018 M2 CPO car? 42.5 is pretty good price i think. I didn't see any below 45k in past week or two.

I started to think about tuning my golf r to make it more fun on the street and potentially tracking it few days a year and figured I don't have time for tuning and for bit more money I could buy a better stock car so Im also in the market for M2 recently and doing the research.

Prices for M2 Comp dont make much sense right now. Seems like its best to buy a new one if you can get 10% off and sell it in 1-2 years for 50k.

This is the best deal I found so far but its DCT and I want stick shift. I might still go and test drive it.
https://www.tascafordri.com/used/BMW...7499b48fe2.htm

It's really hard to decide. M2 comp seats make a big difference for me, I might wait and use my golf r during the winter but then I could lose on trade in value for it. Im getting trade in offers for almost $32k right now (stock 6speed mt).
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 10:29 AM   #15
MONSTAR
#gotboost
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by munja View Post
Is your 2018 M2 CPO car? 42.5 is pretty good price i think. I didn't see any below 45k in past week or two.

I started to think about tuning my golf r to make it more fun on the street and potentially tracking it few days a year and figured I don't have time for tuning and for bit more money I could buy a better stock car so Im also in the market for M2 recently and doing the research.

Prices for M2 Comp dont make much sense right now. Seems like its best to buy a new one if you can get 10% off and sell it in 1-2 years for 50k.

This is the best deal I found so far but its DCT and I want stick shift. I might still go and test drive it.
https://www.tascafordri.com/used/BMW...7499b48fe2.htm

It's really hard to decide. M2 comp seats make a big difference for me, I might wait and use my golf r during the winter but then I could lose on trade in value for it. Im getting trade in offers for almost $32k right now (stock 6speed mt).
Not CPO, I bought it private party. Honestly, the comp seats look way better but I will say that the seats in the regular M2 are actually super comfortable. I came from a base model f30 328i with the base level seats that have like no padding and no contours anywhere; the M2 seats blow them out of the water. They don't look like anything special but you should definitely sit in them before deciding if that's a deal breaker for you!

2013 F30 328i (12/2015 - 09/2020) SOLD!
Appreciate 0