BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Track Forum General Chit Chat

06-17-2020, 09:30 AM   #221
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post
I cant say I 100% agree with this but maybe its the delta between Euro MDM and US MDM.

In Euro MDM you can drift the car quite a bit. Trail braking into a corner is also not an issue. If you are too aggressive though it will kick you into normal traction which is very restrictive.

This was me this week at a wet Assen in Euro MDM.

I use the TC to teach in a proactive maner. If you see the light flashing the whole time your overdoing it. Adapt your speed/throttle to minimize the interventions.

This way you still retain the safety net without falling into bad habbits.
Good videos and nice driving!

Ha, the classic Audi under-steer at 29s in the first Video. Audi not even in the same zip code as the Apex
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 2
243Racing1447.50
Megator517.50
      06-17-2020, 09:32 AM   #222
243Racing
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Was this in the process of removing the mufflers?

Because otherwise I don't get the reference to Talladega Nights
Muffler is gone because racecar moved to a straight pipe single exit.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 11:11 AM   #223
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Ahh, now it makes sense. any reason for single tip vs dual or quad?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 11:25 AM   #224
243Racing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Ahh, now it makes sense. any reason for single tip vs dual or quad?
Simplify, and add lightness.
Appreciate 1
5.M0NSTER3353.50
      06-17-2020, 11:29 AM   #225
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastieBombRacing View Post
Muffler is gone because racecar moved to a straight pipe single exit.
Very cool. If I had kept my RS I would have bought that Tune+ Ti single exit one, so drool worthy

@5.M0NSTER thanks , had some hairy moments that day. Dont mind my Spanish swearing

06-17-2020, 01:04 PM   #226
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Simplify, and add lightness.
Good frikkin answer

Appreciate 1
243Racing1447.50
      06-17-2020, 01:08 PM   #227
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Very cool. If I had kept my RS I would have bought that Tune+ Ti single exit one, so drool worthy

@5.M0NSTER thanks , had some hairy moments that day. Dont mind my Spanish swearing

Wow, yeah, I would be angry too. The Gocart thing could have been just a mistake, but the 944 was just a straight up dick.

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 03:36 PM   #228
Megator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Wow, yeah, I would be angry too. The Gocart thing could have been just a mistake, but the 944 was just a straight up dick.
Yeah Gokart guy seemed focused on the guy ahead of him. I thought he had seen me and it just caught me off guard. Should have waited to after the S.

Going to Zandvoort next week and praying its dry haha. I have only done one dry day this year and everyone kept getting red flags SMH.
      06-17-2020, 04:02 PM   #229
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah Gokart guy seemed focused on the guy ahead of him. I thought he had seen me and it just caught me off guard. Should have waited to after the S.

Going to Zandvoort next week and praying its dry haha. I have only done one dry day this year and everyone kept getting red flags SMH.
My first day of the season is around the same time! Nordschleife on July 3rd. Also praying for a dry day.

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 06:07 PM   #230
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

Quote:

The 944 was being very uncourteous, that would annoy me. Looked like he was actively trying to keep you behind.

However in the 'cut off' video you basically tried to dive bomb up the inside, you were never making that. I don't see how the other driver was at fault, the line was his. That's why most track days require point by's or use of indicators unless at a very advanced level and everyone on the track can actually drive! I'd only be trying to pass on the straights if I were you as the quality of other drivers appears uinknown.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 02:35 AM   #231
Megator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
The 944 was being very uncourteous, that would annoy me. Looked like he was actively trying to keep you behind.

However in the 'cut off' video you basically tried to dive bomb up the inside, you were never making that. I don't see how the other driver was at fault, the line was his. That's why most track days require point by's or use of indicators unless at a very advanced level and everyone on the track can actually drive! I'd only be trying to pass on the straights if I were you as the quality of other drivers appears uinknown.
The 944 was actively trying to "race" and block me. Look at how I switch up directions and he follows me. He gave me a thumbs up when I passed so he knows he was playing.

The other guy I agree, except he took a wide line into the corner and I thought he would give me a car width+ at the apex. I had handily overtaken them earlier in the day so I thought he was letting me by. That is the line I always take and at no more speed than I usually do so not sure if calling it a dive bomb is fair.

I am not angry at him or think he was in the wrong. It was just a close call and I displayed some human emotion

Trackdays here are weird with overtaking. Very few org. group people by skill/level/car speed. The only one I know that does, only does so for people that can prove they are "fast enough", but their threshold is pretty low. This also does not sort out Aholes that think their E30 325i on coilovers should be faster than an M2.

In general the rule is make sure your overtake will be succesful and the slower car should keep their line.

In my opinion this is not a good system. Personally I know what should be faster than me. If a real race car or 911 GT3 (or equivalent) is behind me and catching up I will let off the throttle and move over (while indicating) to let them by. OFC always with safety in mind.

Overtaking on the straights is fine but its lame to be stuck behind someone for half a lap + because they are too selfish to look in the mirror and move over. Also sometimes you are stuck with a guy who is slower in the corners but has the same acceleration potential. Then you are at their mercy until they fuck up, move over, or you do an agressive overtake.

Pointbys seem lame for the same reason (plus here you need to have your windows rolled up). Only overtaking on straight is the same (also some guys hang out in the middle of a straight barely giving you space to overtake on either side).

I dont think there is an easy solution other than run groups and spacing out how people enter the track (kinda like they do with rally stages). However when the track is at capacity overtaking will become inevitable.

The other solution is people check their mirrors haha. I know being able to do this takes some time and experience. First couple times on track I had a budy checking my mirrors for me, this worked quite well and let me concentrate on the track and my driving.
      06-18-2020, 02:21 PM   #232
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

Quote:
The 944 was actively trying to "race" and block me. Look at how I switch up directions and he follows me. He gave me a thumbs up when I passed so he knows he was playing.

The other guy I agree, except he took a wide line into the corner and I thought he would give me a car width+ at the apex. I had handily overtaken them earlier in the day so I thought he was letting me by. That is the line I always take and at no more speed than I usually do so not sure if calling it a dive bomb is fair.

I am not angry at him or think he was in the wrong. It was just a close call and I displayed some human emotion

Trackdays here are weird with overtaking. Very few org. group people by skill/level/car speed. The only one I know that does, only does so for people that can prove they are "fast enough", but their threshold is pretty low. This also does not sort out Aholes that think their E30 325i on coilovers should be faster than an M2.

In general the rule is make sure your overtake will be succesful and the slower car should keep their line.

In my opinion this is not a good system. Personally I know what should be faster than me. If a real race car or 911 GT3 (or equivalent) is behind me and catching up I will let off the throttle and move over (while indicating) to let them by. OFC always with safety in mind.

Overtaking on the straights is fine but its lame to be stuck behind someone for half a lap + because they are too selfish to look in the mirror and move over. Also sometimes you are stuck with a guy who is slower in the corners but has the same acceleration potential. Then you are at their mercy until they fuck up, move over, or you do an agressive overtake.

Pointbys seem lame for the same reason (plus here you need to have your windows rolled up). Only overtaking on straight is the same (also some guys hang out in the middle of a straight barely giving you space to overtake on either side).

I dont think there is an easy solution other than run groups and spacing out how people enter the track (kinda like they do with rally stages). However when the track is at capacity overtaking will become inevitable.

The other solution is people check their mirrors haha. I know being able to do this takes some time and experience. First couple times on track I had a budy checking my mirrors for me, this worked quite well and let me concentrate on the track and my driving.
In the US its mandatory to have your windows rolled down, so its easier for them to pull you out in case of a rollover. If they are having to smash a window then navigate broken glass to pull you of of a harness it could get messy for example.

I hear you on people not checking their mirrors, drives me nuts as well particularly as people in more advanced groups should know better. There are cars at DE events I know as being notorious for slow point bys so I try to avoid lining up near them.

That overtaking system (or lack therof) seems like a recipe for disaster. My main rule driving street or track, is try never to position my car where I'm at the mercy of another driver making the 'right' decision as invariably they don't.
Appreciate 2
5.M0NSTER3353.50
Megator517.50
      06-18-2020, 03:52 PM   #233
Twt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
In the US its mandatory to have your windows rolled down, so its easier for them to pull you out in case of a rollover. If they are having to smash a window then navigate broken glass to pull you of of a harness it could get messy for example.

I hear you on people not checking their mirrors, drives me nuts as well particularly as people in more advanced groups should know better. There are cars at DE events I know as being notorious for slow point bys so I try to avoid lining up near them.

That overtaking system (or lack therof) seems like a recipe for disaster. My main rule driving street or track, is try never to position my car where I'm at the mercy of another driver making the 'right' decision as invariably they don't.
Good points. So I have done thousands of laps in both DE and amateur endurance racing...I just started iracing as well. I have learned, again, that non racers are unaware of the cars behind and beside them. In iracing it is almost part of the “game” to block a passing car...amateurs think this is good racing. I fear we are seeing this mentality creeping into DE events with newer drivers. I am also aware of the blind triangle on drivers right ( in the US) where cars become invisible...so I always present my car in the passenger mirror for a bit to make sure the driver sees me coming. Ultimately, I like the point by, open window, rules....it seems to minimize surprises.
Appreciate 2
5.M0NSTER3353.50
Montaver2149.00
      06-18-2020, 04:19 PM   #234
243Racing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twt View Post
Good points. So I have done thousands of laps in both DE and amateur endurance racing...I just started iracing as well. I have learned, again, that non racers are unaware of the cars behind and beside them. In iracing it is almost part of the “game” to block a passing car...amateurs think this is good racing. I fear we are seeing this mentality creeping into DE events with newer drivers. I am also aware of the blind triangle on drivers right ( in the US) where cars become invisible...so I always present my car in the passenger mirror for a bit to make sure the driver sees me coming. Ultimately, I like the point by, open window, rules....it seems to minimize surprises.
Good point about the blocking in iRacing. Lesser drivers do seem to wear it as a badge of honor. A few of them have paid by getting sent into the wall
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 04:22 PM   #235
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twt View Post
This was a the biggest surprise for me starting to do HPDE events in Germany after doing them for some years in the US. Windows up. Always. I still don't get why fully. I mean, OK, 160mph on the main straight at the Ring with windows down is not a good idea, but still. And use blinkers to indicate which way you will stay.

I like the hand and out the window and point to the side better.

Appreciate 1
Montaver2149.00
      06-18-2020, 05:11 PM   #236
tux2005
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I see advantages & disadvantages of point-by vs blinkers although I'd feel really uncomfortable without some sort of indication to pass. Most of the time I find my local clubs with the intermediate or advanced run-groups are decent with passing and not blocking, but there often are still one or two drivers that have ego problems or are terrible at noticing traffic.

With Windows down I do find point-bys as easier and clearer, the clubs I've driven with have the blinker approach opposite to what you'd have on the road so I find that difficult to get used-to (also cause 90% of my time is done windows down). The air flow in the car when I turn of AC is another nice part of windows down. But windows down does get dusty and dirty and I suppose the risk of arms ending up outside the window in an accident are pretty scary.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 02:01 AM   #237
Megator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Well I am glad we can have a great discussion about this!

I cant say I have seen too many rollovers. Maybe because the tracks I frequent are built to higher (FIA) standards with lots of run off zones?

I can imagine that with windows down at 120mph it gets a bit windy and distracting. I think indicating where you are going/going to the side should be the same as a point by no?

Your last point is spot on and something I forgot in the heat of the moment. Definietly a golden rule if you want to go home with everything in one piece.

I dunno about you guys but I adjust my mirrors so there are no blind spots and no need to shoulder check. When a car disapears in my middle mirror, it apears in the side ones, till it pops up in my peripheral vision.

I also regularly check the mirror on the inside of the corner in case someone tries to dive bomb me (like if I saw them catching up b4).

Knowing the position of other cars is a bit of racecraft that a lot of DE guys dont seem to master.
      06-19-2020, 07:34 AM   #238
243Racing
Banned
Rep

Is there anything we can do to mitigate the issues caused by running windows down at high speeds (120mph+)?

We have a big hill at the end of our straight and the car feels really light and loose going over it. I'm losing time by having to lift but the car is too squirrely to stay in it.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 10:34 AM   #239
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

#neverlift
#drivefastandtakechances

Not really helpful but Best I got.

Also more aero because racecar?

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 06-19-2020 at 11:01 AM..
Appreciate 1
243Racing1447.50
      06-19-2020, 12:21 PM   #240
243Racing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
#neverlift
#drivefastandtakechances

Not really helpful but Best I got.

Also more aero because racecar?
Yeah, front splitter is in the works.

Would a wing look stupid along with my high kick spoiler? Because I'm not spending 3 hours cleaning glue off again....
Appreciate 1
5.M0NSTER3353.50
      06-19-2020, 12:30 PM   #241
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Quote:
Is there anything we can do to mitigate the issues caused by running windows down at high speeds (120mph+)?

We have a big hill at the end of our straight and the car feels really light and loose going over it. I'm losing time by having to lift but the car is too squirrely to stay in it.
If I recall you have M4 specific swift springs or your car, how much did it lower the car ?

I frequently hit 210kmh on a straight in one of our local track and don't feel any weird behavior, what it your alignment at ?
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 01:19 PM   #242
243Racing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLF69 View Post
If I recall you have M4 specific swift springs or your car, how much did it lower the car ?

I frequently hit 210kmh on a straight in one of our local track and don't feel any weird behavior, what it your alignment at ?
It’s going over the hill, I think, that’s the problem.

Currently on Factory alignment.
Appreciate 0