BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Soon-to-be M2 Owner MPE Questions

05-10-2018, 07:37 PM   #45
RussM4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BmwM3 M2, F80 , E46, 335,G82m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downunder99 View Post
After a long wait, she has finally reached the dealership!
Still to be prepared in the morning, taking delivery later in the day! Cannot wait, cannot wait

And yes, she's got the MPE!!! Thanks to all members who have helped me go through this rather extensive MPE research!
Congrats!!! how do you like the MPE so far?
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2018, 11:27 AM   #46
Downunder99
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 | LBB | MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussM2 View Post
Congrats!!! how do you like the MPE so far?
THANK YOU!

So, the unimaginable, I am now in a Camry for a few days, while she gets the clear bra for the full front and the doors. To leave her with the clear-bra installer yesterday, just 2 hours after I finally drove her off the dealership lot, was probably harder than the endless wait to get her over the ocean!

How I like the MPE? ... I am still wondering why I did at all think about not getting it!
This was the best decision and this exhaust gives me more smiles per mile than I ever imagined. It is absolutely(!!!!) awesome, a total no-brainer!

At the place where I get the clear-bra installed, I actually told the owner, that before I leave, I need to fire her up one more time, couldn't get enough of that exhaust Can't wait to have her back next week Tuesday/Wednesday.
Appreciate 1
RussM4263.50
      05-11-2018, 04:11 PM   #47
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lopm2 View Post
I suggest you find a way to drive an M2 with MPE on

If you are DD it, the drone is really going to get on your nerves
I wish I could! Unfortunately none of the two dealers close to me have one with the MPE in stock. Listening to it live would for sure be the best input for a decision in regards to the sound. I think that as much as pictures of the M2 don't show how good the car actually looks, any Youtube videos so far have not really shown me the actual difference between stock and MPE. For sure you can hear they sound different, but nothing replaces listening to it live. I may well extend my search circle and see whether I can find a dealer with an MPE equipped M2 on the lot.
Or other members that may be within a couple hours of you.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 04:38 PM   #48
Downunder99
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's on first View Post
Or other members that may be within a couple hours of you.
Thanks for your reply. I in fact did get a friendly offer from two Chicagoland owners and the one I visited cranked the engine up and the decision was made. Picker her up yesterday, couldn't get enough of the exhaust sound. Now getting a clear bra installed.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 01:10 AM   #49
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
After a long wait, she has finally reached the dealership!
Still to be prepared in the morning, taking delivery later in the day! Cannot wait, cannot wait

And yes, she's got the MPE!!! Thanks to all members who have helped me go through this rather extensive MPE research!
Congratulations mate and welcome to MPE club.. enjoy
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 08:37 AM   #50
Downunder99
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
Congratulations mate and welcome to MPE club.. enjoy
THANK YOU and best regards to Down Under, my most favorite place in this world!!! Torterous wait now on getting her back from applying full frontal wrap next Tuesday. ZERO regrets on the MPE. Max smiles/mile!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 09:46 AM   #51
RussM4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BmwM3 M2, F80 , E46, 335,G82m4

Quote:
THANK YOU!

So, the unimaginable, I am now in a Camry for a few days, while she gets the clear bra for the full front and the doors. To leave her with the clear-bra installer yesterday, just 2 hours after I finally drove her off the dealership lot, was probably harder than the endless wait to get her over the ocean!

How I like the MPE? ... I am still wondering why I did at all think about not getting it!
This was the best decision and this exhaust gives me more smiles per mile than I ever imagined. It is absolutely(!!!!) awesome, a total no-brainer!

At the place where I get the clear-bra installed, I actually told the owner, that before I leave, I need to fire her up one more time, couldn't get enough of that exhaust Can't wait to have her back next week Tuesday/Wednesday.
Glad you loved it! How was the drone?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 07:48 PM   #52
Downunder99
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
I really can't comment on the drone yet. I drove it straight from the dealership to the place I get her wrapped and although highway in parts, it was in evening traffic. Whenever it was free, I actually had the windows down
But I will report back once will be able to comment on any drone issues.
Appreciate 2
RussM4263.50
      11-18-2020, 05:42 AM   #53
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Golf

Quote:
Quote:
I really can't comment on the drone yet. I drove it straight from the dealership to the place I get her wrapped and although highway in parts, it was in evening traffic. Whenever it was free, I actually had the windows down
Reviving a old threat here, but what was your experience with the drone? It's been two years since the last post - not sure you even have the car anymore
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 06:36 AM   #54
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's on first View Post
Buy the MPE, after you take delivery... save your stock exhaust, then sell your MPE when moving on to another car. You'll easily get 50% of your money back.

If you have it port installed, you'll no longer have that option.
Good point, haven't even thought about it! I do trust my dealership's mechanics to do a job as good as the VPC guys, so that is indeed an option!
I just did this with my MPE on the M3. Got a lot of original cost back
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 08:18 PM   #55
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWF87Melb View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Reviving a old threat here, but what was your experience with the drone? It's been two years since the last post - not sure you even have the car anymore
I still have mine and the drone in my opinion is minimal once warmed up.
Always more drone in the first 5-10 mins.
Best way to minimise is to leave exhaust flaps closed and in normal drive mode and not Sport mode until car warms up.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 10:23 PM   #56
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Best way to minimise is to leave exhaust flaps closed and in normal drive mode and not Sport mode until car warms up.
Great thanks for that. I get my mpe installed next week, just managing my expectations around the drone.

How do you find the car in comfort and valves closed with the MPE? How is it compared to stock comfort mode? Can the car with MPE still be quiet enough for a longer drive (not necessarily highway driving)?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 10:40 PM   #57
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Great thanks for that. I get my mpe installed next week, just managing my expectations around the drone.

How do you find the car in comfort and valves closed with the MPE? How is it compared to stock comfort mode? Can the car with MPE still be quiet enough for a longer drive (not necessarily highway driving)?
In Comfort with exhaust closed is quieter than stock in my opinion.
Although I have deleted the ASD. Active Sound Design.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 11:12 PM   #58
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Wow - thanks. That's the surprise to hear but a great one for me as I'm hoping the exhaust will really have those two characters to be quiet or loud when required.

I've already deleted ASD so hoping there's not as much drone as others experience.

How do you find the tone of the mpe exhaust with flaps closed? I've read quite a few posts that stock in sport/sports + sounds better than mpe flaps closed in sport / sports +?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 11:17 PM   #59
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Wow - thanks. That's the surprise to hear but a great one for me as I'm hoping the exhaust will really have those two characters to be quiet or loud when required.

I've already deleted ASD so hoping there's not as much drone as others experience.

How do you find the tone of the mpe exhaust with flaps closed? I've read quite a few posts that stock in sport/sports + sounds better than mpe flaps closed in sport / sports +?
Hi mate. To be honest can't remember that far back, as only really had the stock exhaust for 3 weeks before replacing.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 11:32 PM   #60
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hi mate. To be honest can't remember that far back, as only really had the stock exhaust for 3 weeks before replacing.

Maybe I'll put my question another way - is the exhaust good to hear to with flaps closed or is it really only when in it's in track mode that it's good to listen to?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 11:42 PM   #61
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Maybe I'll put my question another way - is the exhaust good to hear to with flaps closed or is it really only when in it's in track mode that it's good to listen to?
I only drive in Sports and Track exhaust Mode. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 11:47 PM   #62
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I only drive in Sports and Track exhaust Mode. Lol.
Haha I had that feeling many just do that 👍👍
Can't wait for the install next week - thanks again for the the heads up on what to expect!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 09:51 PM   #63
DroneandDone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 MG M2

MPE with flaps closed doesn't sound as good as stock but I think it's mostly because it's quieter. Flaps open is way better and makes it worth it to me.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 03:35 PM   #64
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quick other question - did you have any issues with the Bluetooth controller? With flaps closing on their own or not opening?

That issue is a bit of a concern - not sure if this is due to faulty equipment or just Bluetooth interference?
Seems like quite a few have had this issue on the forum but nothing has been definitive about the cause of the issue and any workarounds on getting better performance from Bluetooth button (and not counting just leaving the flaps open all the time).
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 03:37 PM   #65
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroneandDone View Post
MPE with flaps closed doesn't sound as good as stock but I think it's mostly because it's quieter. Flaps open is way better and makes it worth it to me.
Really surprised that the MPE is quieter than stock with valve closed - but that's a great thing if you ask me giving the exhaust two characters. Looks like it might be valve open all the time then
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2020, 08:11 PM   #66
Downunder99
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Apologies for the late reply! I do still have her and I am still in love with her. Getting my mileage drastically down, as I have been working from home since 9 months. As for the drone, it is really a non-issue for me. Yes, it is there, but I seriously have no issue there, I don't even think about it, part of the MPE experience. I would buy it again any time. Only issue I am still having is the cold start rattle.
Appreciate 0