BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > CCB and wheel damage - shaving brake calliper?

11-17-2020, 10:43 PM   #1
MarkFT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 (G80)

CCB and wheel damage - shaving brake calliper?

I am purchasing a M2CS with the CCBs, and am well-aware of the issues with rocks getting stuck between the CCB/M Sport Brake callipers and wheels causing scratches/grooves. I am planning on getting the callipers re-painted anyway, and as part of that work I was contemplating asking the shop to shave the calliper slightly to provide more clearance.

Has anyone here done this or know of someone who has? I am thinking just a few mm would make a difference.
Gone: 911 GTS, BMW 1M, E46 M3, X7 M50i, Porsche Cayenne GTS, X5M, M2CS, Cayman GT4 (981), Alfa Giulia QV, Carrera T, F80 M3 CS, Focus RS, M2 (OG), 14 E63S AMG wagon, M3 & M4 (F8X), X5 (F15 & E70), 335IS, VW Golf R (MK7), Audi SQ5, Cayman (987), M3 (E90), M5 MT (F10), A4 Avant (B8), S4 (B8), RS4 (B7), VW GTIs (MK2 to MK6)
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 08:47 AM   #2
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Racing brake uses 396mm rotors for their kit. To remedy this same issue. You could look at their caliper dimensions to see how they compare to stock. 2mm from rotor radius plus height difference between the two calipers. I'd be very careful about pulling material off the caliper without having someone knowledgeable in this area give advice. It's certainly not a component that I'd want to weaken. I'm in for the results. Very creative idea, and may work brilliantly.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 07:52 PM   #3
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
I'd be very careful about pulling material off the caliper without having someone knowledgeable in this area give advice. It's certainly not a component that I'd want to weaken.
Valid point.

Regardless of personal safety and warranty, could also become an insurance issue should brakes someday malfunction in any way whatsoever because of an issue caused or contributed by the alteration. IMHO not worth it. Same goes for, for example, seat belts and airbags.

11-19-2020, 07:58 AM   #4
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
I'd be very careful about pulling material off the caliper without having someone knowledgeable in this area give advice. It's certainly not a component that I'd want to weaken.
Valid point.

Regardless of personal safety and warranty, could also become an insurance issue should brakes someday malfunction in any way whatsoever because of an issue caused or contributed by the alteration. IMHO not worth it. Same goes for, for example, seat belts and airbags.

That video is simply incredible; thank you for sharing.