BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > MPE .... or Fabspeed Sport Cat Downpipe?

06-03-2018, 10:32 AM   #23
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Does the exhaust smell like the CAT. has been removed, with the Fab Sports cat? Any odors or just none ?
I think, and it's just my opinion, that there is a slight catless smell on cold start up, but only then. If you're stopped at lights, which is typically where catless systems become obvious, there is no obvious smell at all.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 2
Poochie9103.00
AndrewC198910910.50
      04-06-2019, 07:17 PM   #24
m2for2
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87_LCI View Post
As people have said SC is a DP.

I have coded out ASD.

Still drones horribly @ 3K.

Have since changed FMIC/Boost/Charge/Inlet pipes and added a stg2 tune.

Still drones horribly @ 3K...especially under load.

..and as Nezil stated, now it sounds like the 4th of July every time I let off the throttle...although I'm getting kind of used to it to be honest. Car is just so much better with the tune. "Awakened" is the best way to describe it.
When it droned horribly did you have just the sport cat DP and a tune?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 12:53 PM   #25
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2for2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87_LCI View Post
As people have said SC is a DP.

I have coded out ASD.

Still drones horribly @ 3K.

Have since changed FMIC/Boost/Charge/Inlet pipes and added a stg2 tune.

Still drones horribly @ 3K...especially under load.

..and as Nezil stated, now it sounds like the 4th of July every time I let off the throttle...although I'm getting kind of used to it to be honest. Car is just so much better with the tune. "Awakened" is the best way to describe it.
When it droned horribly did you have just the sport cat DP and a tune?
Still drones.
I have just learned to drive it and keep it out of the "drone zone". Toughest to do on the highway...gear ratios force you into the 3k range in 6th at 120...might be better with DCT??
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 07:57 PM   #26
jzip6116
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 AW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagergab View Post
Initially I was on the fence with my MPE but after adding the stock resonator I love it.
By adding the stock resonator, does it remove the drone at 3k rpm completely or is it just a bit quieter?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 08:48 PM   #27
Zeese
a coffee drinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 6MT (LBB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzip6116 View Post
By adding the stock resonator, does it remove the drone at 3k rpm completely or is it just a bit quieter?
MPE owner.

For what it is worth, I picked up a stock resonator from a forum member. The drone is there, but perhaps at a smaller band of RPMs close to 3K? It is a slight inconvenience now rather than a heachache. I miss the roar! At the same time, I am able to have conversations in the car! This is no small thing.

A bit quieter? Nay! A lot quieter. Inside.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 10:11 PM   #28
jzip6116
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeese View Post
MPE owner.

For what it is worth, I picked up a stock resonator from a forum member. The drone is there, but perhaps at a smaller band of RPMs close to 3K? It is a slight inconvenience now rather than a heachache. I miss the roar! At the same time, I am able to have conversations in the car! This is no small thing.

A bit quieter? Nay! A lot quieter. Inside.
How about the sound from the outside? a lot quieter than before as well?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 05:51 PM   #29
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

Try sports cat first, with this the stock exhaust is a corker, will sound almost exotic at times with occasional cracks (rare) and burbles aplenty in sports mode.

When I went FBO my car exhaust sounds different and louder, the car is more raw I like it but it's surprising how different/louder it is.

I remember a CAI making my previous car exhaust louder.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 06:22 PM   #30
MONSTAR
#gotboost
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

I don’t know what a stock m2 sounds like. My car came with the fab speed sport cat installed already and a stock exhaust. It sounds pretty good to be honest but I can’t help myself from wanting more. I’m thinking I’ll go with the VRSF catless Downpipe and a Dinan exhaust. Still undecided on the resonator delete however.

2013 F30 328i (12/2015 - 09/2020) SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 11:22 PM   #31
Zeese
a coffee drinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How about the sound from the outside? a lot quieter than before as well?
Yes. The MPE sounds great. It is a head-turner for certain. The resonator quiets things down enough that I no longer see people looking over their shoulders to see what's coming.
I had intended to use Vibrant V-Band flange assemblies. Space was tight! Goal was to be able to swap the straight pipe and the resonator with ease.
For some greater context, I was ready to swap the MPE for a Remus system because the drone was simply too much. I might still at some point.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 08:39 AM   #32
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
I think, and it's just my opinion, that there is a slight catless smell on cold start up, but only then.
My Jeep with the stock exhaust does the same thing. I believe it's because you need a rich mixture to start the vehicle and the cats are dead cold.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 08:53 AM   #33
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Fabspeed sport cat - more power, better sound, no drone, less expensive

No way in hell I'd pick an exhaust over the Fabspeed downpipe. I bought mine used for $850 and my exhaust guy put it on for $20 I think (I gave him $100 for the hell of it). Best $950 I've spent on the car, sounds utterly fantastic.

The only weird thing I've found with the Fabspeed is that the exhaust now sounds best (IMO), and loudest in traction mode, and I'm used to driving in Sport. Sport sounds much improved, but when I drive in traction, wow, the sound is amazing.

I'll also add that I installed the Dinan resonator delete, and it has NO DRONE, but there is a resonance to it at certain RPM's that I wish was there ALL the time. Still sounds fantastic IMO, absolutely no need for an exhaust after those two mods.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 10:07 AM   #34
jzip6116
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeese View Post
Yes. The MPE sounds great. It is a head-turner for certain. The resonator quiets things down enough that I no longer see people looking over their shoulders to see what's coming.
I had intended to use Vibrant V-Band flange assemblies. Space was tight! Goal was to be able to swap the straight pipe and the resonator with ease.
For some greater context, I was ready to swap the MPE for a Remus system because the drone was simply too much. I might still at some point.
Thanks for the insight on that.
In terms of installation, where did you fit the resonator on the exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 01:42 PM   #35
Zeese
a coffee drinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the insight on that.
In terms of installation, where did you fit the resonator on the exhaust?
In the same place as everyone :-)
...where you add the resonator in the front or back?
Except for AGM2 ;-)
Fits nicely.
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2020, 08:11 PM   #36
CalAcacian
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTAR View Post
I don’t know what a stock m2 sounds like. My car came with the fab speed sport cat installed already and a stock exhaust. It sounds pretty good to be honest but I can’t help myself from wanting more. I’m thinking I’ll go with the VRSF catless Downpipe and a Dinan exhaust. Still undecided on the resonator delete however.
Just a heads up, the Dinan exhausts are super delayed. I ordered mine on July 31 and I'm still getting the expected date pushed back. Probably going to be the end of November by this point. They claim it was due to changing the supply chain and new manufacturing processes coming online, so you likely won't wait nearly as long, but I am pretty displeased with the customer service at this point. They won't give me any sort of discount despite the massive delays.

If there was another good option I would have just canceled, but the Dinan sound and volume level is just ideal for me.
Appreciate 0