BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > M2 vs 1M vs M4 Auto Express.

08-03-2016, 11:02 AM   #23
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
The M4 Comp (1638kgs? lightweight materials?)stays the bigger pig it is.Though not really heavier than M2, they souped up the suspension/wheels, you know. So it's even faster than a normal M4.

So why is it faster? Not in turn in/bends in general. It is mainly faster because of the 100ish whp difference and more rubber. Not because it's more agile or something than the M2. Because it's not

M4 Comp is the car it should have been from the start imho.

Cheers
Robin
But that track is tiny and full of tight twists/turns more akin to a fast autocross than a large road course. So how did the M4 go faster?
Because of the straight section. It's no autocross or something. It's a real track Steve stated the m4 comp pulled way harder at that section than the 1m/m2...

Sent from my potato

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 11:14 AM   #24
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
It is more flickable, tossable and agile than the M4. I haven't driven an M4CP so can't comment there.

The CP is more than just HP. The M4 isn't a "big, heavy boat" but it does feel a lot bigger when you are behind the steering wheel. Why don't you tell us your thoughts based on driving them both back to back?

Many reports suggest the CP does, in fact, notably improve on the M4. I have little doubt the M4 CP is a better car than the M2 and I have little doubt it is better than the regular M4. No surprise here. However, the driving experience is different than an M2 and what someone likes better is subjective. We have seen the M2 outperform the regular M4 on a number of tracks (or match it at least). This just highlights that the CP improves on the regular M4 to keep ahead of the smaller, more agile, well balanced M2

I always find it interesting when you join the discussion... it is very entertaining
I haven't driven a ZCP car yet but have driven a F80 and F87. I was mostly poking fun that some people think the ZCP is so much better because of a tiny bump in HP and a 10mm increase in tire width.

Obviously the increase in power and tire width doesn't turn what they thought was a big fat/heavy GT style car into a good handling track car when their major complaints were the size and weight of the chassis. If anything the increased grip gives it less 'agility'.
I don't want to sound rude but the way I see it the m4 comp has a less tricky chassis setup than the normal m4 thus giving it an easier feel to drive it fast. And why shouldnt more rubber on a dry track mean more agile?

Anyway that's what I read when the M4 comp came out. The m4 I drove was very powerful but also not very civilised in chassis balance
etc.

With the m4 comp they made it a bit better less hairy hence a better laptime . The normal m4 has balance and traction problems to start with plus it's size vs M2. With M4 comp they addressed those issues in a good way.
But it's still a bigger car. That's physics

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 2
      08-03-2016, 03:18 PM   #25
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
It is more flickable, tossable and agile than the M4. I haven't driven an M4CP so can't comment there.

The CP is more than just HP. The M4 isn't a "big, heavy boat" but it does feel a lot bigger when you are behind the steering wheel. Why don't you tell us your thoughts based on driving them both back to back?

Many reports suggest the CP does, in fact, notably improve on the M4. I have little doubt the M4 CP is a better car than the M2 and I have little doubt it is better than the regular M4. No surprise here. However, the driving experience is different than an M2 and what someone likes better is subjective. We have seen the M2 outperform the regular M4 on a number of tracks (or match it at least). This just highlights that the CP improves on the regular M4 to keep ahead of the smaller, more agile, well balanced M2

I always find it interesting when you join the discussion... it is very entertaining
I haven't driven a ZCP car yet but have driven a F80 and F87. I was mostly poking fun that some people think the ZCP is so much better because of a tiny bump in HP and a 10mm increase in tire width.

Obviously the increase in power and tire width doesn't turn what they thought was a big fat/heavy GT style car into a good handling track car when their major complaints were the size and weight of the chassis. If anything the increased grip gives it less 'agility'.
I'm really not up on all the ZCP specs but I'm under the impression it's

bigger wheels,
wider tread ,
Revised shock rates
Adaptive suspension
Modest bump in power

I think you've lost the plot when talking about grip. More grip = better agility, better turn in and also better power being put down to get off the corner and down a straight.

The 1M and the F8x M3/M4 can be twitchy at the limit and also on power. They all need more tire, both front and especially rear.

The ZCP setup fixes the issues of the M3/M4 and clearly is a marked improvement.

And yes, it's still a big heavy car that does well at getting out of its own way with Moar POWAH
Appreciate 1
gthal1904.00
      08-03-2016, 07:30 PM   #26
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
I'm really not up on all the ZCP specs but I'm under the impression it's

bigger wheels,
wider tread ,
Revised shock rates
Adaptive suspension
Modest bump in power

I think you've lost the plot when talking about grip. More grip = better agility, better turn in and also better power being put down to get off the corner and down a straight.

The 1M and the F8x M3/M4 can be twitchy at the limit and also on power. They all need more tire, both front and especially rear.

The ZCP setup fixes the issues of the M3/M4 and clearly is a marked improvement.

And yes, it's still a big heavy car that does well at getting out of its own way with Moar POWAH
^---- This.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 08:14 PM   #27
redux
WTF does Stage 1 mean?
Rep
Drives: Bwm and such

Garage List
2011 1M  [9.35]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
Another advantage of Sport+ by another forum member:

"More aggressive use of the anti-lag system thus faster acceleration out of the corners. Also keeps the engine noticably cooler in sport plus."
Acceleration will only be faster if you can get the power down, sport plus makes doing that a bit of a pain. Enhanced engine cooling really doesn't matter when going for a lap time on street tires.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 08:29 PM   #28
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by redux View Post
Acceleration will only be faster if you can get the power down, sport plus makes doing that a bit of a pain. Enhanced engine cooling really doesn't matter when going for a lap time on street tires.
What you said would be true if this was a Non-ZCP. Additionally, Sport+ (at least on ZCP) is not nearly as crazy or over sensitive as the Sport+ on E92. Therefore, I still strongly believe that he would have gotten a better time on Sport or Sport+ considering the anti-lag mechanism is totally turned off in Efficient mode.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 11:12 PM   #29
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl
Quote:
Originally Posted by redux View Post
What you said would be true if this was a Non-ZCP. Additionally, Sport+ (at least on ZCP) is not nearly as crazy or over sensitive as the Sport+ on E92. Therefore, I still strongly believe that he would have gotten a better time on Sport or Sport+ considering the anti-lag mechanism is totally turned off in Efficient mode.
Anti lag mechanism ? Is this the turbo waste gate being kept closed ??
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 01:37 AM   #30
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, and according to an interview with the head of M department there are also certain special engine control functions that make the activation of turbo chargers quicker in Sport and Sport+ modes only:

Quote:
So what are the differences between the EFFICIENT, SPORT and SPORT PLUS modes?

In the SPORT and SPORT PLUS modes, the waste gates remain closed under partial load and the mass flow is routed through the turbines, to ensure that the turbo chargers are already rotating at a higher base speed even in standby. Moreover, certain special engine control functions are brought into play that accelerate activation of the turbo chargers. This means that the car responds more closely to the accelerator in SPORT and SPORT PLUS modes.

In EFFICIENT mode, everything is more levelled out, with a high orientation towards comfort.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 04:41 AM   #31
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Steve should have had his own serious reasons when using Efficient mode and with the given info above I understand him.

In general: You just don't want a furious on/off switch (exaggerated) when setting a fast laptime, if there's something less hairy available at a push of a button...

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2016, 04:47 AM   #32
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

I'm a big Group B Rally fan and remember Juha Kankkunen 4 times World Champion saying te following about his new engineered 1986 Peugeot 205 Turbo 16 E2:

"The engineers put a new bigger turbo on it and the the car produced 550BHP. We had wheelspin(4wd) on dry asphalt in 3rd gear( <950kgs(2100lbs) weight of the car) ... Our headsets almost flew of when accelerating()

So we asked the engineers for a smoother turbo/engine. And they came up with a 530hp version which was more controllable..."

Imagine about 2s to 62mph and 8 to 125mph (v max)(short geared on tarmac), 30 years ago...

Juha and his collection

Legendary men in legendary cars;

Cheers
Robin

Last edited by Robin_NL; 08-04-2016 at 04:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 07:30 AM   #33
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl
Quote:
Yes, and according to an interview with the head of M department there are also certain special engine control functions that make the activation of turbo chargers quicker in Sport and Sport+ modes only:

Quote:
So what are the differences between the EFFICIENT, SPORT and SPORT PLUS modes?

In the SPORT and SPORT PLUS modes, the waste gates remain closed under partial load and the mass flow is routed through the turbines, to ensure that the turbo chargers are already rotating at a higher base speed even in standby. Moreover, certain special engine control functions are brought into play that accelerate activation of the turbo chargers. This means that the car responds more closely to the accelerator in SPORT and SPORT PLUS modes.

In EFFICIENT mode, everything is more levelled out, with a high orientation towards comfort.
Thank you for the explanation !

I've been a naturally aspirated bimwad for years and learning turbo motors like the rest of us.

This feature was first employed on the 1M with the M BUTTON. The 1M doesn't have engine or suspension modes but it does have the M button which does the following

- keeps wastegate closed for quicker spooling of the turbo
- different throttle map is used.

While the M engineer certainly waxes poetic about the M3/M4 setup it certainly sounds like the same two functions are going on and a little hocus pocus and waving a wand.

I absolutely DO not use this button on a short track or in autocross situations. It makes the throttle super sensitive and a very small application of the throttle gives a lot more power than normal.

The 1M and the M3/M4 without ZCP both can break away at the rear end in a heartbeat In a way that is difficult to catch. When making rapid movements in an autocross, the *last* thing I want is a touchy throttle or a hair trigger.

It's a good feeling on the track - when I remember to use it, which really isn't often.

I most often use the M button when driving on a country road because it feels " sportier ".

I would bet that Sutcliffe prefers the better control of the car, and that's why he used efficient mode. I am sure I would also.

I have run autocrosses with both modes on the same day and I am quicker *without * the M button on In the 1M.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 11:18 AM   #34
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Does it say he used efficient mode when setting the lap time? The video is never edited in real time, so just because they've inserted a clip of the instruments with efficient displayed, it doesn't mean that clip was filmed when he was setting the lap time.
Appreciate 2
gthal1904.00