BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > CPO M2C - after the fact?

02-27-2023, 02:29 PM   #1
Charles33982
Rep
Drives: 2021 Silver M2C

CPO M2C - after the fact?

Searched on the board and I was not able to find anything on this topic.

I recently purchased a low mileage 2021 M2C still under factory warranty. Is it possible for me to pay to roll this into a CPO level of coverage from BMW?

The local dealership told me I would have to sell the car to them for certification and buy it back again
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2023, 02:52 PM   #2
///393
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6

The dealer answered your question. Your only option is an aftermarket warranty or finding another dealer that may offer a servicing plan often underwritten via third parties.

Just self-insure. Take what you can spare each month and set it aside. If you don’t end up needing that cash for maintenance or repairs, great. These are reliable cars.
Appreciate 1
jefe2000755.50
      02-27-2023, 03:05 PM   #3
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.74]
If you want an extended warranty, BMW will sell you one. Here is the link to their information: https://www.bmwusa.com/financial-ser...n-program.html
      02-27-2023, 04:37 PM   #4
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
And there’s a dealer rep lurking these forums who will sell you a BMW plan at a discount. Don’t pay full retail.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2023, 11:10 AM   #5
Charles33982
Rep
Drives: 2021 Silver M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
And there’s a dealer rep lurking these forums who will sell you a BMW plan at a discount. Don’t pay full retail.
Thanks, wilson kop , I will most likely go the self-insure route but wanted to explore both options.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2023, 06:59 PM   #6
gichoke
Captain Generale
Rep
Drives: 18' M2

You can purchase extended warranties through BMW dealers. Contact Christine Newman, Finance Manager at Steve Thomas BMW in Camarillo CA. Tell her you saw a thread on the F80 forums about this: cnewman@stevethomasbmw.com. / 805 482 8878

In your email include: year / model / VIN / current mileage

She quoted me for extended warranties on my CPO 2018 M2 (expires in April) and my 2020 M340 which is still under the factory warranty.

Last edited by gichoke; 02-28-2023 at 07:49 PM.. Reason: adding more detail.
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2023, 05:27 AM   #7
blackout23
Private
Rep
Drives: 718 Boxster GTS 4.0

I had a similar conversation with a dealer about another 2021 with super low miles where I asked the question, why isn't it certified?

I got a sort of vague answer about how they don't typically certify M cars. I wish I could remember exactly what was said, but the gist I took away from it was that enthusiasts don't care as much about warranties? And it adds a few grand to the asking price so they prefer to put it on the market as a non-certified car and leave the option to the purchaser if they want to tack on the certification.

Personally I think that's strange, as Porsche doesn't seem to be so reticent with their CPO stamp of approval. It's easy to find a CPO Porsche, it's like hen's teeth for a BMW M car.

Oddly enough though, most used CS models I've come across were certified. My guess is to compete with people who are cross-shopping with Porsche?

Maybe enthusiasts who veer towards the M2C don't care because they're just going to strap on an intake, exhaust, and spacers a week after they buy them anyway?

Worth mentioning two of the three cars I was considering going to look at had aftermarket parts already... big turn off for me. Also, most cars it seems are still asking for higher than MSRP. It sort of makes sense because you can't buy a new M2 now and some people are questioning whether they even want a G87, but if people are willing to pay close to $10k over MSRP for a 2021 with low miles, they don't need to bother certifying it IMO.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2023, 07:05 AM   #8
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

It costs dealers time and money to CPO a car. In the last few years with cars flying off the lots regardless, some dealers didn’t bother, and why would they if the car is going to sell within hours anyway. Hell, some even nixed reconditioning altogether.

Folks way overvalue this process and if they dug into the kind of cars that are technically eligible for CPO, they would be shocked.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2023, 03:22 PM   #9
Drauren
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Competition

Any dealer telling you that is bullshitting you. They just don't want to do it because it's expensive, and they can get away with selling cars without them.

I bought a CPO M2c. It's nice having it for peace of mind, but the reality is, the issues with the M2/S55 are documented and infrequent enough that I wouldn't worry about it. The only big issue I've heard with the car is you can get a Rear Tailight failure.

Crankhub I would not worry about unless you're driving the car _hard_ and are tuned. Apex (Misha on Youtube) has said they have never done a crankhub job on their cars, and their cars are driven hard on the ring.
Appreciate 0