BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > PPI: Factory paint issues? and signs of exhaust removal?

11-08-2019, 07:17 PM   #1
Hangman4358
Private
Rep
Drives: '14 F31 328d Sportline

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
2014 328d F31  [0.00]
PPI: Factory paint issues? and signs of exhaust removal?

I all. I had a 2017 with ~28k miles LBB M2 lease return go through a PPI.

The car is about 200 miles from me and the indy who looked it over thinks it may have been repainted but he also says the paint job would have been very very very good for a repaint, and it would have been both front and back and that if that happened the insurance would have probably totaled the car. The car is local to the dealer area and the indy called a couple of his buddies who own body shops and none of them remember working on the car and none of them could decide if that was factory issue or a repaint given the pictures.

The reason he thinks is because the hinges and some of the frame in the engine bay and trunk show primer. But I also found this thread which makes it look like this is pretty standard for the cars.

Here are some pictures. My current car is a MW 328d Wagon which is currently sitting at the dealer getting recall work done so I can't check on an F gen car, and it was Munich not Leipzig built. The loaner I have is a black g20 and there everything looks painted.

From the Munich Factory tour I when I did ED for the wagon I know that they use a dark primer for the dark colors and a light one for the light colors so for the black G20 it might just be that I can't tell between the color and primer.

Here are some of the pics the indy sent me.

Other that that he said it looked like the exhaust/under body covers had been removed and put back on. Part of me thinks this is most likely just from someone leasing, throwing on an aftermarket exhaust and then taking it off on lease turn in.

They wanted 45k for the car but I talked them down to 42k with like an hour of effort. Thoughts?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 08:39 PM   #2
///Mē
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 6MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangman4358 View Post
I all. I had a 2017 with ~28k miles LBB M2 lease return go through a PPI.

The car is about 200 miles from me and the indy who looked it over thinks it may have been repainted but he also says the paint job would have been very very very good for a repaint, and it would have been both front and back and that if that happened the insurance would have probably totaled the car. The car is local to the dealer area and the indy called a couple of his buddies who own body shops and none of them remember working on the car and none of them could decide if that was factory issue or a repaint given the pictures.

The reason he thinks is because the hinges and some of the frame in the engine bay and trunk show primer. But I also found this thread which makes it look like this is pretty standard for the cars.

Here are some pictures. My current car is a MW 328d Wagon which is currently sitting at the dealer getting recall work done so I can't check on an F gen car, and it was Munich not Leipzig built. The loaner I have is a black g20 and there everything looks painted.

From the Munich Factory tour I when I did ED for the wagon I know that they use a dark primer for the dark colors and a light one for the light colors so for the black G20 it might just be that I can't tell between the color and primer.

Here are some of the pics the indy sent me.

Other that that he said it looked like the exhaust/under body covers had been removed and put back on. Part of me thinks this is most likely just from someone leasing, throwing on an aftermarket exhaust and then taking it off on lease turn in.

They wanted 45k for the car but I talked them down to 42k with like an hour of effort. Thoughts?
Cars came out of the factory this way, so I wouldn't worry about the paint job in those concealed areas. My car is a lot better than some of the pictures in that thread but it was just luck of the draw. If everything else checks out with the car, buy it, you'll love it.
      11-08-2019, 08:58 PM   #3
Hangman4358
Private
Rep
Drives: '14 F31 328d Sportline

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
2014 328d F31  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mē View Post
Cars came out of the factory this way, so I wouldn't worry about the paint job in those concealed areas. My car is a lot better than some of the pictures in that thread but it was just luck of the draw. If everything else checks out with the car, buy it, you'll love it.
Thanks for the confirmation. To me repainting some of those areas if they were replaced in a crash would be more work than a shop would probably invest, especially for a lease and the carfax shows that it had services done at pretty much perfect intervals all at the same dealer so any longer time off the road isn't really to be spotted.

Inital Sale: 3/08/17
1,217 <- 4/17
10,310 <- 1/18
19,886 <- 1/19
28,557 <- dealer for sale 11/01/19 (I have been looking for an LBB one that is within like 500 miles of SD for 4 months now so I jumped on this one)

I am very excited. My wife is a gearhead too (she learned to drive a stick in her dad's crazy modded karmann ghia in the library parking lot when she was 13!) and this is supposed to be her birthday present, though she has already told me she is too scared to drive it because she thinks she will ding it so I might have to I wonder how long that will last!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 11:42 PM   #4
ried
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31, F80

That car has not been repainted. 100% normal.
Appreciate 1
doug_9992538.50