10-27-2019, 08:02 AM   #23
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiM235iEstorilBlue View Post
Just thought I'd share some initial observations.

M2 vs. M235i - first observations.

Overall:
Clearly faster, engine louder in a good way, far sharper handling, meaner looks, much better brakes, rougher ride but hardly bad at all, and much, much louder inside with more rattles on rough streets.

Ride:
Firmer ride but not bad at all, much more rattling (likely from firmer ride). Much has been said about how harsh the ride is, I dont agree at all. My Cayman was much worse. There is some compliance here, it just gets bouncy on the big bumps. m235i was definitely softer in the comfort setting but had much more body roll as a tradeoff. I prefer the M2's sharper reflexes and even like the stiffer ride. But, I much prefer the m235i's lack of tire noise, rattles & overall noise (excluding engine/exhaust which I like loud) which lent to a more expensive, luxurious feel when just cruising. I wish the M2 had the m235i's excellent adjustable suspension, like the M3/M4 have.

Powertrain:
Doesn't seem to have the instant throttle response the m235i had, somehow. ZF 8-speed far superior to DCT when in automatic mode. The DCT wants to jump to 2nd gear instantly in comfort, doesnt respond quickly at all in any auto mode; the gears feel much taller, and somehow there just isnt that massive torquey feel the m235i had, despite knowing you're actually moving much faster.
The increase lag combined with slow to react DCT makes the gas pedal feel like mush compared with how amazingly quick the ZF auto responds. The m235i just felt like it had so much bottom-end torque which the ZF could call upon expertly and intuitively in auto mode. However, in manual mode, it no competition. The ZF was brilliant for an auto but the DCT reacts instantly in a way the ZF can't match.
Overall though, Im a bit disappointed. The algorithms for the auto-mode for DCT are not remotely as good as Porsche's PDK nor the ZF 8-speed. Also, DCT makes all sorts of weird rattly and whining noises which often make me question its longevity. Lastly, despite moving at a fast clip than the m235i, it doesnt "feel" faster. The taller gearing & increased lag makes it feel slower actually.

Performance:
M2 is faster but doesnt feel much faster at all. m235i had a more rewarding torque delivery off the line and so it "felt" fast in nearly all situations below 70mph. The M2 clearly handles far, far better. Its so precise, agile, and flat in corners in a way that makes the m235i feel like a sedan. The M2's braking is also stunning compared with the m235i. Barely any effort and it stops so much better with so much less brake dive. The steering is also just leagues better, with fast reactions from what feels like a much faster ratio. The car takes corners so much more flat and the M-power diff makes drifting out of a corner so exciting and easy its hard to resist! The DCT needs some final polish, but I prefer it to the manual version I drove. Not a fan of BMW's rubbery manuals, though I know some are. ZF makes BMW's 8-speeds and Porsche's amazing PDK. Why doesnt BMW just order PDK from them as well? Its leagues better than their DCT.
Anyhow, overall, I love this car though I do feel shorter gearing, less lag, about 50-75 more hp with a slight weight loss would result in perfection. That said, the M2 always feel alive, like a sprightly, angry bull dog ready to play. That said, so did the m235i, the M2 just takes it up a notch.

Appearance:
Hands down, the wider fenders and larger brakes make my m235i looks neutered when the two are parked side by side. The M2 is no beauty, but it looks mean, wide and purposeful which I love! Slightly wider fenders would do wonders to make the M2 looks like it just left a DTM race. Anyhow, Im a fan as it is.

Summary:
The M2 has proven to me just how shockingly good the standard m235i is. It feels every bit about 90% of an M2. Side by side though, I just cant get over the demure looks of the non-M car. But, the m235i does ride much better in comfort mode and is easier to live with. However, it's M2 for me. I love the sharper handling, mean exhaust note, and especially the look of the wider fenders and bigger brakes. A closer decision than I expected honestly. And if they offered the widebody on the m235i/m240i, I dont know that I'd get the M2.
Interesting opinions. I've driven the M235 and thought it was terrible. Felt sloppy and boring and unengaging. The 135 was a far more engaging car than the M235i. I like the M2 have driven many. No comparison between the M235 and M2 IMO. Surprising people even buy the M235i!
      10-28-2019, 11:43 PM   #24
MiamiM235iEstorilBlue
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Interesting opinions. I've driven the M235 and thought it was terrible. Felt sloppy and boring and unengaging. The 135 was a far more engaging car than the M235i. I like the M2 have driven many. No comparison between the M235 and M2 IMO. Surprising people even buy the M235i!
Fair enough, to each their own!
I absolutely adored the M235i and often think about trading the new (used) M2 in for something different already. Just not bonding with the car the way I did with the M235i. I really dislike the DCT in auto-mode. Only enjoy it in full attack, manual mode which doesnt apply to most of my commuting. Will give the M2 more time and see how I feel in a few months.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 11:57 PM   #25
MiamiM235iEstorilBlue
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
They're pretty much the same daily driver.

Same general size
same visibility
same front seats
same back seats
same trunk
same fold down rear seats
same back up camera
same parking sensors
same heated seats and wheels

gas milage in the 235i is probably better
235i has adaptive suspension, but if you don't mind the m2 suspension, what's the difference?

Based on your post stick with the m235i or 240 with zf8 or Porsche pdk with better programming or one of the newer BMWs with zf8 like m5 or the 340. The next gen m2/m3/m4 will come with a zf8 as well, you could grab that when they come out.
I know this makes no sense, but I'm getting better fuel economy with the M2! Much better in fact! 21mpg vs. 16mpg. Maybe DCT is better in some ways?

I'm going to give the M2 a few more months. It does take me time to warm up to and fully appreciate any car so dont want to rush to final judgement.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 11:57 PM   #26
MiamiM235iEstorilBlue
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMK View Post
My M2 lurches hard when I start driving immediately after a cold start. There shouldn't be a problem. Right?

It bounces back and forth really hard, here's an example: https://youtu.be/llKR0om7WGA?t=250
Mine does this too, only when engaging 1st gear though.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 11:58 PM   #27
MiamiM235iEstorilBlue
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
It's common. More likely to happen if the car is cold or going up a hill I think. Try activating creep mode to start rolling. Then be deliberate with the throttle so the clutch isn't slipping. Change to 2nd as soon as possible.

Or just launch the car from 2nd.

If it's happening in any gear other than 1st that's not normal I think.
Whats "creep mode"?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 05:25 AM   #28
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiM235iEstorilBlue View Post
Quote:
It's common. More likely to happen if the car is cold or going up a hill I think. Try activating creep mode to start rolling. Then be deliberate with the throttle so the clutch isn't slipping. Change to 2nd as soon as possible.

Or just launch the car from 2nd.

If it's happening in any gear other than 1st that's not normal I think.
Whats "creep mode"?
From a stop if you quickly tap the gas lightly with your foot the car will move forward as slow as it possibly can without slipping the clutch until you brake to stop it, or put your foot in the gas to accelerate.
Appreciate 1