BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Are 2016-2018 M2 reliable?

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-07-2019, 07:59 PM   #23
dalrx
Lieutenant
Canada
71
Rep
429
Posts

Drives: 530i
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: regina

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Electric water pumps don't seem to be as reliable as mechanical as leaks seem to be more common. Audi/VW has had a hell of a time getting this right and still can't. My Golf R water pump/thermostat housing started to leak and I had to wait almost two months because they were on national backorder due to the amount they have to replace them.
Yeah it's quite sad if the case. You'd think an performance car like m2 would use more reliable pumps. Imagine that happening on the track with all the heat you'd melt the engine!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 10:22 AM   #24
afwares
Lieutenant
afwares's Avatar
United_States
1102
Rep
548
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Chandler, AZ

iTrader: (0)

16 months in, just crossed 8K miles, and the only issue was an oil leak from the oil pan gasket discovered during the last oil change around 7K miles. They brought me back to the service bay to see it - there was no oil in the pan, and one tiny spot of oil about the size of a pinhead on one of the bolts at the bottom of the engine. It seemed premature but the car was already up on the lift and under warranty and I couldn't come up with a good reason not to let them change the gasket so that's been it.

Otherwise, zero issues. No problems, no squeaks, no rattles, no noises. I'd read posts early on about excess heat from the dashboard, but I haven't experienced that at all. The 6MT is butter-smooth, no complaints there either. Still love it as much as the day we got it.
Appreciate 1
tranck424.50

      08-08-2019, 11:19 AM   #25
mybostonmomo
First Lieutenant
mybostonmomo's Avatar
487
Rep
300
Posts

Drives: 2016 LBB M2
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

I took delivery on 31 May 2016 and just passed 50K miles. A slight squeak here and there but still solid overall.
Appreciate 2
      08-08-2019, 11:24 AM   #26
HawaiiShrimp
Enlisted Member
HawaiiShrimp's Avatar
United_States
55
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: 2017 LBB M2 (MT)
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: So Cal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwares View Post
16 months in, just crossed 8K miles, and the only issue was an oil leak from the oil pan gasket discovered during the last oil change around 7K miles. They brought me back to the service bay to see it - there was no oil in the pan, and one tiny spot of oil about the size of a pinhead on one of the bolts at the bottom of the engine. It seemed premature but the car was already up on the lift and under warranty and I couldn't come up with a good reason not to let them change the gasket so that's been it.

Otherwise, zero issues. No problems, no squeaks, no rattles, no noises. I'd read posts early on about excess heat from the dashboard, but I haven't experienced that at all. The 6MT is butter-smooth, no complaints there either. Still love it as much as the day we got it.
How involved is the "oil pan gasket" fix? Does it require replacing the oil pan or just the gasket itself? Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 11:38 AM   #27
afwares
Lieutenant
afwares's Avatar
United_States
1102
Rep
548
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Chandler, AZ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiShrimp View Post
How involved is the "oil pan gasket" fix? Does it require replacing the oil pan or just the gasket itself? Thank you.
Just the gasket, I was told. And I hate to sound dealer-paranoid, but I've wondered since then if this was something that really needed to be done, or if the dealer simply saw some easy warranty revenue to be grabbed. Stated differently, if the car had been 8 years old, out of warranty, and I'd seen that tiny oil drop I don't know that I'd have been too concerned. There was zero oil in the pan and we shone a flash light all up in there and the rest of the bottom of the engine was spotless, like it just rolled off the factory line. We're talking one miniscule hint of oil on one bolt.

Maybe the more technically-inclined here on the forum can chime in.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 12:53 PM   #28
TemjinX2
Major
483
Rep
1,404
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW M2
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Las Vegas,NV

iTrader: (0)

BMW has been making the N55 for around 10yrs and they only made it stronger. Mechnically it very reliable in terms of the engine block. People are doing 600whp on a stock block.

BMW at 50K+ miles will be more expensive to maintain then any infiniti or lexus.

maintence issues will probably be

70k - will probably need new electric water pump

50k+ - you will probably need to replace the valve cover gaskets, ofgh gaskets, pan gaskets

would recommend new spark plugs every 30k miles especially if your tuned.

probably new coil packs at 70k+

40-50k would recommend walnut blasting

theres a reason why the factory warranty expires at 50k lol.
Appreciate 2
afwares1102.00
F87 M2CS150.50

      08-08-2019, 02:38 PM   #29
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
DETRoadster's Avatar
6541
Rep
2,869
Posts

Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiShrimp View Post
Thank you Sir. That is exactly one of the intent of this post. Long term reliability. As the car gets older (5+ years), I'd like to learn from other M2 owners about their M2 reliability. So, I can keep an eye out for all potential issues and repair costs down the road.
You want us to comment on the 5+ year reliability of the M2?

As others have said, it's a pretty reliable car so far. Little issues here and there, mostly electronics, is what most of us have encountered. Par for the course with a German car. Will it be as reliable as a Japanese sedan? IMO, no. Will it be as cheap to repair when it does break? Definitely not. If these things frighten you, I'd recommend going back to Japanese cars.

My recommendation is to just drive it and enjoy it, then form your own opinion about the car you've already purchased. For every story you get here about someone having some bizarre, catastrophic failure, there will be another story of someone with 50k and not a single repair. Your car is under warranty still so just drive and enjoy. If during the warranty period it turns out to be a stinker, look to get rid of it before the warranty ends.
Appreciate 1
tranck424.50

      08-08-2019, 04:12 PM   #30
1mm2
Lieutenant
393
Rep
534
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Northern exposure

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post

My recommendation is to just drive it and enjoy it, then form your own opinion about the car you've already purchased. For every story you get here about someone having some bizarre, catastrophic failure, there will be another story of someone with 50k and not a single repair. Your car is under warranty still so just drive and enjoy. If during the warranty period it turns out to be a stinker, look to get rid of it before the warranty ends.
This.

I've had a Z4m, 1M, and still have a 128i and M2 LCI.

Drove all of them hard, 128i (48k) and not a single major issue on any of them.

The 128i is at that point that issues can arise so I'll be monitoring it but love the car.

Also had a 991.1 and 991.2, both rock solid.

Lucky I guess...
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 11:19 PM   #31
akkando
Brigadier General
3236
Rep
4,292
Posts

Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemjinX2 View Post
BMW has been making the N55 for around 10yrs and they only made it stronger. Mechnically it very reliable in terms of the engine block. People are doing 600whp on a stock block.

BMW at 50K+ miles will be more expensive to maintain then any infiniti or lexus.

maintence issues will probably be

70k - will probably need new electric water pump

50k+ - you will probably need to replace the valve cover gaskets, ofgh gaskets, pan gaskets

would recommend new spark plugs every 30k miles especially if your tuned.

probably new coil packs at 70k+

40-50k would recommend walnut blasting

theres a reason why the factory warranty expires at 50k lol.

N55 don't seem to need walnut blasting at 50k, maybe 80k, maybe 100k.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 11:31 PM   #32
babym2
Private First Class
58
Rep
133
Posts

Drives: 18 M2 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: AZ

iTrader: (0)

why do only bmw engines require walnut blasting? all i get is bmw when i google
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 11:47 PM   #33
jayg80
First Lieutenant
United_States
117
Rep
310
Posts

Drives: 335 / M2
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

Jan '17 deliver of a 6spd w 8k miles and no issues to date.

Love driving it everyday even in LA.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 12:27 AM   #34
D22M2
Lieutenant
539
Rep
454
Posts

Drives: Not a real M Car
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Dublin , CA

iTrader: (0)

46k on my 2017 dct - no mechanical issue other than MP exhaust Bluetooth valve behavior issue (repaired under warranty)

Plenty of interior rattles from new tho
Appreciate 1
nnt2770.00

      08-09-2019, 06:53 AM   #35
Ian ///M
Captain
Ian ///M's Avatar
484
Rep
669
Posts

Drives: '17 AW M2 (DCT)
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by babym2 View Post
why do only bmw engines require walnut blasting? all i get is bmw when i google


The N54 was notorious for carbon build up. thats not happening on the N55 until way down the line. like 100k+
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 09:27 AM   #36
TemjinX2
Major
483
Rep
1,404
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW M2
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Las Vegas,NV

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by babym2 View Post
why do only bmw engines require walnut blasting? all i get is bmw when i google
all Direct injection engines need walnut blasting except engines that use both direct injection and port injection like the lexus engines.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 12:41 AM   #37
delhang
Enlisted Member
23
Rep
46
Posts

Drives: 18' F87, 15' F32, 17' F48
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

2018 LCI, almost 12k miles, Canyon carver and tracked 3x, ButtonWillow, Big Willow, Streets of Willow. Oil changes after every track session. Only issues, it eats gas like a fat kid loves cake. :-)
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2019.00

      08-15-2019, 07:35 AM   #38
NathObeaN
Private First Class
NathObeaN's Avatar
United Kingdom
191
Rep
150
Posts

Drives: M2 LCI 2018
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

I have a 2018 M2 LCI DCT with about 27k on it. Had to recently replace the right rear signal indicator. Luckily under warranty but out of warranty I think it's about £400~ thanks to the LED makeup of the unit.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 12:49 PM   #39
F1 fan
Private First Class
53
Rep
154
Posts

Drives: 2016 x5 xdrive 35i m sport
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Dayton Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Any concerns with a 2016

I found a 2016 m2 dct in Long Beach blue in excellent condition with 9500 miles. Not a single ding or rock chip and interior is spotless. Anything to be concerned about with a 2016 including the dct. Thanks it has the executive package also.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 01:16 PM   #40
GoneIn4Secs
Major
GoneIn4Secs's Avatar
Canada
334
Rep
1,155
Posts

Drives: '18 M2
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: gta Canada

iTrader: (0)

I think the backup sensor keeps beeping until you turn off the car,
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 01:23 PM   #41
DanG
Brigadier General
DanG's Avatar
United_States
2290
Rep
3,867
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [4.87]
M2s have been a solid car. It does have a four year warranty 50,000 mile transferable factory warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 02:41 PM   #42
CTSean
Second Lieutenant
155
Rep
258
Posts

Drives: LCI BSM MT M2
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: CT

iTrader: (1)

Car was made in 6/2016 so it should still have 10 months on the factory warranty. Definitely has Executive package - parking sensors /backup camera in a '16/'17 = Exec.

Give the VIN to a BMW dealer and get a detailed service history. Make sure it's had its break-in and subsequent scheduled services, plus anything else that's been done.

The Carfax (available on the dealer site) shows 3 previous owners and no dealer services at all. Bought in Mass, sold 2 years and 7500 miles later in OH, then sold again in OH 2 months later??? That's all a bit of a red flag for me. It might be a great car, but it's a history that would concern me until I saw the BMW service history (if it has one)

Personally, if I'm spending 43K on a car, it's gonna be pretty much perfect, vehicle history included.

Especially when this is also in OH for only 3K more and it's CPO https://www.prestonbmw.com/inventory...1h9c51hv786696
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 02:56 PM   #43
RAM_F30_F87
First Lieutenant
RAM_F30_F87's Avatar
United_States
175
Rep
393
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT; 2012 328i 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Central PA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
My 2017 is the same as the 2016 except BMW changed from a 4 to 3 year warranty. A VIN check shouldn't show any recalls.
https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls
I have 18,000 miles and the only thing I've had done was the dealer installed improved brake dust shields for free due to the 'rocks in a soda can' noise.
I replaced my original Continentals with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires around 11,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 06:59 PM   #44
DanG
Brigadier General
DanG's Avatar
United_States
2290
Rep
3,867
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [4.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM_F30_F87 View Post
My 2017 is the same as the 2016 except BMW changed from a 4 to 3 year warranty. A VIN check shouldn't show any recalls.
https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls
I have 18,000 miles and the only thing I've had done was the dealer installed improved brake dust shields for free due to the 'rocks in a soda can' noise.
I replaced my original Continentals with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires around 11,000 miles.
Bad information. The warranty on all M2s is four years 50,000 miles. The maintenance was changed from four years to three years and also excluded brakes on 2017 and on M2s.
Appreciate 1
ddk632526.00

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:28 PM.




m2
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST