BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Digital Key

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-10-2020, 10:16 PM   #1
rkmjr
Private First Class
rkmjr's Avatar
United_States
40
Rep
100
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2 , ExPkg, MT & MPE
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Enola, PA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Does anyone have information regarding the newly announced Digital Key/NFC and if there will be any backwards compatibility for iDrive 6? I am having difficulty finding specific information online and checking with BMW themselves, nobody seems to really know. I get a little frustrated with BMW's technology where they appear incapable of developing, implementing and maintaining technology with regard to their iDrive systems in a coherent manner that benefits their current customers. It doesn't seem they can ever create new capabilities that can be used in previous technology like Apple iOS and Android can.
__________________
Just lookin’ to quicken the pace!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 12:38 AM   #2
F87source
Captain
F87source's Avatar
Canada
380
Rep
977
Posts

Drives: 2017 Bmw M2 6mt
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmjr View Post
Does anyone have information regarding the newly announced Digital Key/NFC and if there will be any backwards compatibility for iDrive 6? I am having difficulty finding specific information online and checking with BMW themselves, nobody seems to really know. I get a little frustrated with BMW's technology where they appear incapable of developing, implementing and maintaining technology with regard to their iDrive systems in a coherent manner that benefits their current customers. It doesn't seem they can ever create new capabilities that can be used in previous technology like Apple iOS and Android can.
Likely it won't be backwards compatible because it'll require additional hardware, which in turn will require new software updates. It is not as easy as you think where it is some simple software tweaks and then done. This is logically not worth it for bmw to do on a older model, and it is a selling point to buy a newer bmw. Hence it is likely to never come to an older bmw.
__________________
Follow me on Instagram @f87source
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 07:42 AM   #3
rkmjr
Private First Class
rkmjr's Avatar
United_States
40
Rep
100
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2 , ExPkg, MT & MPE
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Enola, PA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmjr View Post
Does anyone have information regarding the newly announced Digital Key/NFC and if there will be any backwards compatibility for iDrive 6? I am having difficulty finding specific information online and checking with BMW themselves, nobody seems to really know. I get a little frustrated with BMW's technology where they appear incapable of developing, implementing and maintaining technology with regard to their iDrive systems in a coherent manner that benefits their current customers. It doesn't seem they can ever create new capabilities that can be used in previous technology like Apple iOS and Android can.
Likely it won't be backwards compatible because it'll require additional hardware, which in turn will require new software updates. It is not as easy as you think where it is some simple software tweaks and then done. This is logically not worth it for bmw to do on a older model, and it is a selling point to buy a newer bmw. Hence it is likely to never come to an older bmw.
Yes, that figures! Like I said, BMW (actually most auto manufacturers) do not build in for capabilities which are in their development pipeline with software like the phone companies. You can't tell me BMW was not fully aware that digital keys were "just down the road" and provide for those future capabilities in their hardware. I understand the concept of providing incentive to upgrade their car, but cars are a much bigger item and few people will be able to afford to upgrade their car for a technology software upgrade. To me, to have happy satisfied customers, at least for those who have purchased a car recently as the immediate version (in this case, iDrive 6) would benefit them in the long run MORE than banking on the expectation someone like me can afford to trade their 2018 iDrive 6 vehicle to get the new capability. Not all their BMW faithful customers are that affluent. AND, like I said in previous post, car companies are terrible with regard to technology that is not directly related to performance. IMHO.
__________________
Just lookin’ to quicken the pace!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 09:20 AM   #4
F87source
Captain
F87source's Avatar
Canada
380
Rep
977
Posts

Drives: 2017 Bmw M2 6mt
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmjr View Post
Yes, that figures! Like I said, BMW (actually most auto manufacturers) do not build in for capabilities which are in their development pipeline with software like the phone companies. You can't tell me BMW was not fully aware that digital keys were "just down the road" and provide for those future capabilities in their hardware. I understand the concept of providing incentive to upgrade their car, but cars are a much bigger item and few people will be able to afford to upgrade their car for a technology software upgrade. To me, to have happy satisfied customers, at least for those who have purchased a car recently as the immediate version (in this case, iDrive 6) would benefit them in the long run MORE than banking on the expectation someone like me can afford to trade their 2018 iDrive 6 vehicle to get the new capability. Not all their BMW faithful customers are that affluent. AND, like I said in previous post, car companies are terrible with regard to technology that is not directly related to performance. IMHO.
Yeah it would be nice to have more future proofing, but that's not how it is sometimes. Someone will always have to get the short end of the stick. For example touch screen idrive, they knew it was coming but engineering takes time and revisions to work properly. They can't always forsee what hardware will be required to drive software in the future, or how to run wires. Like digital key requires alot better encryption so different hardware is needed. So instead of trying to plan everything for the future and have compatibility issues as a high probability, they just don't bother. It's like saying you know commercialized space travel is going to happen, but how about you build today's rockets with that in mind so we can retrofit our rockets in the future. It's simply too much extra engineering than is required. So it's not logical to have manufacturers always trying to keep a customer happy, otherwise car development would be non existent for 5 year intervals (life cycles) because otherwise someone would get the short end of the stick. Like explain to 2016 owners why they can't get car play. It had to happen eventually but the hardware was so new it didn't have time to trickle down to the 2 series yet.
__________________
Follow me on Instagram @f87source
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 11:32 AM   #5
rkmjr
Private First Class
rkmjr's Avatar
United_States
40
Rep
100
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2 , ExPkg, MT & MPE
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Enola, PA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmjr View Post
Yes, that figures! Like I said, BMW (actually most auto manufacturers) do not build in for capabilities which are in their development pipeline with software like the phone companies. You can't tell me BMW was not fully aware that digital keys were "just down the road" and provide for those future capabilities in their hardware. I understand the concept of providing incentive to upgrade their car, but cars are a much bigger item and few people will be able to afford to upgrade their car for a technology software upgrade. To me, to have happy satisfied customers, at least for those who have purchased a car recently as the immediate version (in this case, iDrive 6) would benefit them in the long run MORE than banking on the expectation someone like me can afford to trade their 2018 iDrive 6 vehicle to get the new capability. Not all their BMW faithful customers are that affluent. AND, like I said in previous post, car companies are terrible with regard to technology that is not directly related to performance. IMHO.
Yeah it would be nice to have more future proofing, but that's not how it is sometimes. Someone will always have to get the short end of the stick. For example touch screen idrive, they knew it was coming but engineering takes time and revisions to work properly. They can't always forsee what hardware will be required to drive software in the future, or how to run wires. Like digital key requires alot better encryption so different hardware is needed. So instead of trying to plan everything for the future and have compatibility issues as a high probability, they just don't bother. It's like saying you know commercialized space travel is going to happen, but how about you build today's rockets with that in mind so we can retrofit our rockets in the future. It's simply too much extra engineering than is required. So it's not logical to have manufacturers always trying to keep a customer happy, otherwise car development would be non existent for 5 year intervals (life cycles) because otherwise someone would get the short end of the stick. Like explain to 2016 owners why they can't get car play. It had to happen eventually but the hardware was so new it didn't have time to trickle down to the 2 series yet.
Yes, what your saying makes a lot of sense. But "future proofing" to some extent would not be unreasonable. I still believe with some effort on their part towards future proofing their technology to some degree would make a lot of customers happier. I mean wireless connectivity, NFC, touch screens have been around for a while, yet they always seem to be behind. They, as you said "just don't bother". I remember quite sometime ago watching a video about BMW having a guy with his Ph.D. working on various sound "tones". That was all he did. Makes you wonder. Thanks for your input.
__________________
Just lookin’ to quicken the pace!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 12:07 PM   #6
F87source
Captain
F87source's Avatar
Canada
380
Rep
977
Posts

Drives: 2017 Bmw M2 6mt
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmjr View Post
Yes, what your saying makes a lot of sense. But "future proofing" to some extent would not be unreasonable. I still believe with some effort on their part towards future proofing their technology to some degree would make a lot of customers happier. I mean wireless connectivity, NFC, touch screens have been around for a while, yet they always seem to be behind. They, as you said "just don't bother". I remember quite sometime ago watching a video about BMW having a guy with his Ph.D. working on various sound "tones". That was all he did. Makes you wonder. Thanks for your input.
No problem, and yeah it would be good to future proof. But in some cases it's risky to think too far ahead because nfc door keys could be a security vulnerability. Even though BMWs are apparently easy to steal since the key frequency can be intercepted.
__________________
Follow me on Instagram @f87source
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:28 PM.




m2
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST