BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Downloading Music from IPhone to M2 Harddrive

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-23-2016, 08:16 PM   #1
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
DETRoadster's Avatar
6443
Rep
2,843
Posts

Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Downloading Music from IPhone to M2 Harddrive

OK, I'm finally stumped. Spent 30 minutes in the car with the manual, pulling my hair out.

If I pop a CD in the player, there's an icon of a hard drive with an arrow on the right side of the nav display that lets you download and store the contents of that CD to the car's media drive. Simple.

Is this not possible with an iPhone as well? I want to take the music I have on my iPhone and store it to the car's hard drive. if I plug the phone into the USB port and select my phone from the list of media sources (AM/FM/Satellite/CD/iPhone) I get an error saying my phone is configured for Car Play and cant be used to play or download media from the USB drive. OK fine. If I connect to my phone via Car Play (either BT or USB) there's no place I can see to download the music files.

Anyone have any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 10:01 PM   #2
nd2002
First Lieutenant
nd2002's Avatar
165
Rep
304
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
OK, I'm finally stumped. Spent 30 minutes in the car with the manual, pulling my hair out.

If I pop a CD in the player, there's an icon of a hard drive with an arrow on the right side of the nav display that lets you download and store the contents of that CD to the car's media drive. Simple.

Is this not possible with an iPhone as well? I want to take the music I have on my iPhone and store it to the car's hard drive. if I plug the phone into the USB port and select my phone from the list of media sources (AM/FM/Satellite/CD/iPhone) I get an error saying my phone is configured for Car Play and cant be used to play or download media from the USB drive. OK fine. If I connect to my phone via Car Play (either BT or USB) there's no place I can see to download the music files.

Anyone have any ideas?
Try switching from carplay mode to idrive mode for your phone. Then try?

You might have better luck dumping music on a USB drive
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 10:44 PM   #3
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
DETRoadster's Avatar
6443
Rep
2,843
Posts

Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd2002 View Post
Try switching from carplay mode to idrive mode for your phone. Then try?

You might have better luck dumping music on a USB drive
Good call, that might do it. My phone just auto connects to car play. How do I tell it to connect to idrive vs. car play? is that a setting through the car or through the phone?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2016, 12:14 AM   #4
nd2002
First Lieutenant
nd2002's Avatar
165
Rep
304
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd2002 View Post
Try switching from carplay mode to idrive mode for your phone. Then try?

You might have better luck dumping music on a USB drive
Good call, that might do it. My phone just auto connects to car play. How do I tell it to connect to idrive vs. car play? is that a setting through the car or through the phone?
Through car. Mobile devices > [Your phone] > select BMW idrive instead of apple carplay
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2016, 12:45 AM   #5
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
DETRoadster's Avatar
6443
Rep
2,843
Posts

Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd2002 View Post
Through car. Mobile devices > [Your phone] > select BMW idrive instead of apple carplay
Awesome. Thank you. I'll give it a shot in the morning!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2016, 08:02 AM   #6
gmzanatta
Colonel
gmzanatta's Avatar
Canada
1797
Rep
2,969
Posts

Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: NB

iTrader: (0)

You cannot rip songs from iPhone to your hard drive (or any device really). USB or CD only.
Appreciate 1
BMWM5NYC363.50

      12-25-2016, 10:34 AM   #7
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
DETRoadster's Avatar
6443
Rep
2,843
Posts

Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
You cannot rip songs from iPhone to your hard drive (or any device really). USB or CD only.
Well that's a let down. Not what my CA told me.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2016, 06:42 PM   #8
gmzanatta
Colonel
gmzanatta's Avatar
Canada
1797
Rep
2,969
Posts

Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: NB

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
You cannot rip songs from iPhone to your hard drive (or any device really). USB or CD only.
Well that's a let down. Not what my CA told me.
Don't feel bad it's an Apple thing, it doesn't matter what device - BMW or otherwise - you use.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:37 PM.




m2
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST